Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Let’s command you guys in Firefight !

ValeVelKal

Arcane
Germany - Part II - Zero to Five minutes into reaching the target

After a short consultation, Lt. Egosphere and Lt. Catacombs agreed to progress together toward the target, with only U. Boot squad to cover the flank.

The German infantry deployed s a bit in front of the tanks :

Initial_deployment.png

Then, two tanks progressed up to the crossroad while the infantry flank them left & right. Lt. Egosphere was well on the left of the rest of the force.

Progress1.png

With no enemy in sight, Ob. Azira turned right while U. Mondblut turned left. None paid much attention to the fact that while Lt. Catacombs squad had made steady progress, U. CappenVarra's squad had been slowed down by a combination of hedges and closed doors, and had only reached the first house so far, therefore not having a good vision on the road yet...

Progress2.png

It is at this very moment that the Germans saw something moving far away on the road. Too late...

Progress3_HIT(1).png
...two seconds later MondBlut’s tank was no more. The Pz38(t) had been destroyed in one hit from an French AT Gun, killing the driver instantly and wounding the rest of the crew, who managed to bailed out before the tank exploded.

FrenchGun.png

It was a 47mm anti-tank further along the road who had dealt that first blow.

SituationFinale.png

Ob. Azira positionned in tank in cover from the storage buildings while using his radio to inform Lt. Egosphere of the loss of one tank.

What would the Germans do now ?

Note that you have no way to communicate with U. Boot who will carry on his merry way.

Last edited:

ValeVelKal

Arcane
Paging

Catacombs
Egosphere
Azira
CappenVarra
boot
Sukhāvatī

mondblut is in a state of shock, and all the survivors of his crew are heavily wounded anyway, so we can consider you out.

I should specify that you have offmap artillery (smoke and HE) available. It is under Lt. Egosphere command (he has a radio). Shells are limited (around 15 of each type) and accuracy is not great.

Last edited:

Dayyālu

Arcane
Who the fuck sent the tonks without infantry support, recon, and preliminary artillery/smoke

guys, tonks blow up

this isn't even Soviet tier, they knew better

I'm having the most beautiful flashbacks to Graviteam Tactics. I've read some reviews about Firefight, and it seems that it's a 98 game that was reworked in 2016 for portable devices and then sent on Steam. It looks mighty fine, tho.

hoothoot

Arcane
Patron
Kind of not the same to not be able see the tank get popped and the survivors scurry out while getting raked by machine gun fire, one guy taking 3-4 hits before succumbing metres away from the now only survivor laying in a bush, who will now take no further orders for the rest of the game.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
damn french hedges do not follow german standards for infantry mobility
damn french locks do not follow german standards for letting officers in

we must introduce these peasants to proper standardization, this will not stand

my squad still has some locks and hedges to conquer up straight ahead, then past the first warehouse block there's a convenient hedge to rest in and keep an eye out towards north?

after we finish pouring mondblut drinks (sorry we're all out of medkits) of course

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Cover is meant to be used by big targets such as a tank. I'll be clever and not expose myself like someone else we know. Ready to rain down furious vengeance on the frog-eaters.

boot

Prophet
Unterfeldwebel boot hears explosion and can guess it's not the good kind of explosion.

we grab our nutz and continue on course

Egosphere

Arcane
Ahem
I split off and go to E1, whilst Azira and mondblut go to the fork in the road. If I don't see anyone to the east, then Azira makes his way to A1, mondblut to M1,
see anyone when I'm at E1
I can slow down, so that CappenVarra will be nearby as I move up to E1.
With no enemy in sight, Ob. Azira turned right while U. Mondblut turned left. None paid much attention to the fact that ... CappenVarra's squad had been slowed down by a combination of hedges and closed doors, and had only reached the first house so far, therefore not having a good vision on the road yet...

LOARtnl.png

Nooo, you can't just change my commandorinos as you see fit! That's against the rules!
Haha, mondblut go brrr :D

Anyways, I'll have to bounce off whatever Catacombs plans on doing from here on out. I want to slip into one of the empty rows heading north, preferably the one on the very very left, but there could be another AT in north east covering that little gap, or maybe another AT straight ahead, so I'll stay and wait until CV makes his next move. Azira .. yeah, no, just hold for now, lest we go from bad to worse.

Fire a couple of artillery shells at the AT whilst we wait

ValeVelKal

Arcane
Ahem
I split off and go to E1, whilst Azira and mondblut go to the fork in the road. If I don't see anyone to the east, then Azira makes his way to A1, mondblut to M1,
see anyone when I'm at E1
I can slow down, so that CappenVarra will be nearby as I move up to E1.
With no enemy in sight, Ob. Azira turned right while U. Mondblut turned left. None paid much attention to the fact that ... CappenVarra's squad had been slowed down by a combination of hedges and closed doors, and had only reached the first house so far, therefore not having a good vision on the road yet...

LOARtnl.png

Nooo, you can't just change my commandorinos as you see fit! That's against the rules!
Haha, mondblut go brrr :D

Anyways, I'll have to bounce off whatever Catacombs plans on doing from here on out. I want to slip into one of the empty rows heading north, preferably the one on the very very left, but there could be another AT in north east covering that little gap, or maybe another AT straight ahead, so I'll stay and wait until CV makes his next move. Azira .. yeah, no, just hold for now, lest we go from bad to worse.

Well, in general, incorrect interpretation of orders, or plain mistake in the execution because the game is in real-time with no pause, is gonna happen. Call that friction of war.

In this specific case, I feel like I respected what I understood from your order, as I slowed down your tank so CappenVarra would be a bit in front and to the right of you. When Mondblut's Panzer was hit, CappenVarra's soldiers were in the first of the three buildings.
I did not understand your orders as stating that Mondblut and Azira should wait for CappenVarra. Quite the opposite :
Once Azira and Mondblut reach the fork in the road, they should be able to see if there's anyone behind the hillocks, so the the way for boot and Catacomb will be clear to cross the park and take the high ground.
FIRST Azira & Mondblut reach the fork and have a look, THEN Catacomb can progress, which means that the "seeing/scouting" was to be done by Azira & Mondblut, not CappenVarra. Though it could also have meant "the tanks reach the fork, then the infantry advances, then the tanks resume progress" but I understood the former.

The one think I did on my own initiative was parking your tank between the two rows of houses, because I had let the game run for a while while I checked where the AT was, and when I came back your Panzer was in the bush and I thought it would be safer between the two rows of buildings, hence the final position. Thinking about it now, it would have been safer to keep it where it was, but as I said, snap decision in a game that has no pause.

Last edited:

ValeVelKal

Arcane

Clear for the order : stay position with both tanks and wait for development while the grunts progress a bit.

A small note : artillery in this game shoot first a few rounds to get more accurate (ie : one shoot that miss by a lot, long delay, another shoot that miss by a lot but less, long delay, and when it is close enough, fire for effect of a salvo of varying size, not sure what determines it). Of course, it can happen that you get lucky on one of those early rounds, but it is exceptional.

Keep in mind that there are some mortars around, but not under your command.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
Egosphere, maybe you could advance through the brush and try to lay down a
couple pops toward the AT, while CV and his boys duck for cover.

Meanwhile, Azira and my squad can slowly advance through the storehouses in an
attempt to flank the AT encampment up the road.

Egosphere

Arcane
Egosphere, maybe you could advance through the brush and try to lay down a
couple pops toward the AT, while CV and his boys duck for cover.

Meanwhile, Azira and my squad can slowly advance through the storehouses in an
attempt to flank the AT encampment up the road.

It might take me out as well if I go forward. Why don't you direct CV to turn west, go behind me, then a bit north to see if there's anything that can take a shot at us from between the row of houses? Meanwhile, Azira will just wait a bit as you catch up.

Dayyālu

Arcane
How come that AT gun did not surrender?

That's a meme, for the majority of their history the French military was the only good thing out of such a degenerate race

Fall Gelb worked, but everyone got fucked by the Germans in the beginning despite the French having superior equipment

Also, I like a lot how the first casualty is the steretypical WW2 tank combat example: tank advances, doesn't see hidden AT gun, blows up. Just like history!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom