Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Let’s command you guys in Firefight !

Egosphere

Arcane
Time is ticking you guys have around one hour before I proceed

Take 2 artillery shots at that AT. Bring my tank just a tiny bit forward, just to the corner of that house to my immediate right, but not any farther, and I'll wait there for the turn. Azira waits as well, until Catacombs catches up.

mondblut

Arcane
Also, I like a lot how the first casualty is the steretypical WW2 tank combat example: tank advances, doesn't see hidden AT gun, blows up. Just like history!

He played mondblut all wrong. I would have grinded on unarmed peasants for a few years until my armor is impenetrable.

ValeVelKal

Arcane
He played mondblut all wrong. I would have grinded on unarmed peasants for a few years until my armor is impenetrable.
Sadly WW2 is more like Gothic - once you destroyed all the Polish army they don’t really respawn, so you need to move against the French with what you have.

Andnjord

Arcane
Sadly WW2 is more like Gothic - once you destroyed all the Polish army they don’t really respawn, so you need to move against the French with what you have.
You still get a heck of a lot of xp though. It's kinda cheated that after that the USSR gets to respawn non stop and you keep getting random encounters when trying to rest.

ValeVelKal

Arcane
Ok so order received :

- Azira stay put
- Boot carries on his merry way East.
- Catacomb progresses through the warehouse until contact
- Egosphere orders two arty rounds and moves very slightly to be in a position to at least engage stuff.
- CappenVarra carries on moving North until the edge past the first warehouse block
- Sukha hasn't received any order

ValeVelKal

Arcane
You still get a heck of a lot of xp though. It's kinda cheated that after that the USSR gets to respawn non stop and you keep getting random encounters when trying to rest.
Well at least you can move forward if you kill them fast enough. I found the US troops that spawn on you where you have no defense totally BS. And let’s not mention when your AI allies surrender with hardcoded events even though their core territories are still almost fully controlled and your troops are quite literally there to support them ^^.

Tigranes

Arcane
Ah, I say, it is good to know ze Germans will soon die, and I can go back to ze cigars and ze women while claiming I was a brilliant patriot

imrs.php

ValeVelKal

Arcane
Germany - Part III - Five to Nine minutes into reaching the target

Usiing the radio of his tank, Leutnant Egosphere requested a short artillery support against the detected anti-tank gun - 2 shells. The artillery crewmen answered that they would shoot, but 3 shells was the minimum they would attempt, as the two first shells and probably the third one as well would be necessary to adjust the fire :

3_rounds.png

[I am going to go for 3 shells as it is the game default, then if all miss as probable I will ask Egosphere if we stop the ammo expenditure there as planned or if he wants an accurate salvo]

Meanwhile, Leutnant Catacombs men entered the first warehouse. It was empty, and no enemy was in sight :

InfantrySection.png

On the other side of the main road, U. CappenVarra was advancing to an hedge with a good view on the general area :

Repositionnement.png

[I advanced Egosphere a bit more than ordered to by mistake]

One minute later, the first German shell arrived toward the French AT Gun, but as expected missed widely :

Firstexplosion.png

The second shell did not do better :

Secondexplosion.png

Suddenly, the AT gun shot again... at the wounded crewmen from Mondblut's tank :

Shootingatstragglers.png

Happily enough, the tank was on the way and stopped both shoots.

The third German shell is now on its way :

Incccccoooming.png

Killed.png

... and the French AT Gun is destroyed !

The immediate threat destroyed, it is time for the Germans to decide how to proceed further into the train station :

Final.png

[I am not sure why we started with 20 rounds of HE, shot 3, and end up with 16 ^^]

Paging

Egosphere
CappenVarra
Azira
boot
Catacombs
Sukhāvatī

Last edited:

ValeVelKal

Arcane
Quick question : I found out that the easiest way to put image in here is to do copy/paste image directly. how long will the image being hosted doing this ? If not that long (less than 5 years), I would rather do it through a proper photobucket link.

ValeVelKal

Arcane
A quick note on infantry, as it is not specified :

- You cannot order individual soldiers around.
- For amor and infantry, you give move order by putting a "rectangle on a location". You can broaden the rectangle so your infantry spread up, or make it tiny so they are all in one house and die together :). You also tell them which direction to face by default (= to take cover from, if not engaged),
- You can also tell infantry whether they move in column or men abreast,
- In general, they are pretty smart : they duck for cover, try to find good firing position, and keep enough distance from one another to avoid all dying at the same time by one shell.
- If not ordered to "move it", they move carefully to their target destination, from cover to cover, etc.
- They are also not going to move to a position if under fire or if it is unsafe EXCEPT under the "move it" order, at which point they might... or they may still be too panickedor too suppressed to move anyway.
- Of course, units can be heavily suppressed, demoralized and staying mostly immobile if too many people died (esp. officers and NCO) or a tank got blown up 10 meters away.
- "Cease fire" and "Move it" and "Fire at that specific target" (including moving into position to do so) are the only "special" order you can give to infantry and armor units.

Last edited:

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
my squad can continue north on the left flank, through the warehouses to the rail, look around, station at the next hedge if no contact is made?
Battleground2_CV3.jpg
Egosphere can follow if nothing is suspicious?

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
I'll take my squad and enter the next building north, making sure to check for anyone inside before proceeding. If we get the jump on people inside, assess targets and, if enemies, engage.

Last edited:

Egosphere

Arcane
They might have mortars of some kind, and the ai might start popping off at the last location where it's seen us, so if the mondblut tank crew is now controllable, move them to the west, all the way into the trees on the edge of the map. Perhaps Sukhāvatī can move slight away from that general vicinity as well?

CV goes ahead of me, whilst I drive here (roughly that position, maybe just a tad short of it), behind him:

4ARMCDT.png

That way I'm still out of sight, and CV will be able to see the whole railway station up ahead. If CV is spotted by anything big and mean, then fire smoke shells to block their view (I don't know how this mechanic works in-game, so you can fire the smoke wherever you think it's most useful - whether that's very close to the enemy, or a little bit away from them etc.) If/when their view is obstructed, you can bring me a little forward, just far enough so that I can fire in retaliation and preferably reverse back out of sight quickly if I miss the shot. Preferably, I time it so that I'm firing at them when they're reloading, as a precaution, in case the smoke doesn't quite work out.

Azira holds as Catacombs goes north. If there's any infantry inside the 'ring' of buildings, then he can go as far as the blue line to help Catacombs, provided that infantry doesn't have some sort of AT weapons :

RK2aHmu.png

If there's no-one there, but CV and I are combating, then perhaps he can take the orange route to try and line up a shot from between the buildings. He only does this if the enemy is actively engaged and distracted by CV and I. If Catacombs is clear and CV is clear, then, well, it's his choice, though pushing east is out of the question (there's definitely another AT gun covering that road)

Egosphere

Arcane
ValeVelKal If that's too much, then just have my tank follow CV, put down smoke if he spots anything big, and take a shot when it's safe to do so in the next update.

ValeVelKal

Arcane
Sorry for the delay, I had more issues with photbucket. With the poor image quality and the fact that I can't even log on my own photobucket account, I withdraw any advice I could have said to use photobucket.

ValeVelKal

Arcane
Germany - Part IV - Nine to twelve minutes into reaching the target

The German force carries on progressing toward the warehouse. On the right, Boot's squad is joining the rest of the force through a wood :

75kqmka.png

Leutnant Catacombs's squad occupies two new warehouses without opposition :

5zmvawL.png

Suddenly gunshoots ! Someone is firing at U. Boot's men with small arms :

aWeIdLD.png

The machine-gunner of CappenVarra's squad has been left behind with a view from where the short started, and he immediately delivers heavy suppressive fire - along with Azira's Pz 38(t), though neither really know where the enemy is :

e9gpWEf.png

No one seems to have been hit for the moment - what will the German leaders (boot Egosphere Catacombs Azira CappenVarra ) do ?

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Photobucket used to be good some 10 years ago. Nowadays it might just about be the worst piece of shit among all the image hosting sites.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Cubeupload perhaps. I used it briefly for LPs after photobucket decided to nuke them, though since then I've been uploading the pix on a friend's server. But it werked fine and I still use it for my other image uploading needs.

ValeVelKal

Arcane
Cubeupload perhaps. I used it briefly for LPs after photobucket decided to nuke them, though since then I've been uploading the pix on a friend's server. But it werked fine and I still use it for my other image uploading needs.
Thanks. I guess I will be using them from now on. If they work well, I ll transfer everything and close the PB account.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
i was hoping to have that machine gunner sighting down the rail up north, but i don't mind him continuing to provide suppressive fire at the current location

i suspect commanders of squads closer to der franzmann might want to take initiative on this one :M

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
the area's supposed to be heavily defended, no way that infantry is not supporting some AT and tanks and whatever the frenchies have

we need some armor close by, and some mortar love letters sent to the general area sound good (i think we should save long-range arty for identified priority targets) - can Sukhāvatī shell them?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom