Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Let's All Play Dragon Age 2

denizsi

Arcane
Bioware is the new Bethesda.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
denizsi said:
Bioware is the new Bethesda.

The similarities are striking.

I knew DA2 was going to be a rushed mess, but this is far worse than I could have predicted. Bioware is being assimilated by EA. In spite of all the flaws with their earlier games, I'm still a little sad. They always showed potential; almost like they wanted to make a great cRPG but got distracted by another genre halfway through or something. For DA2, though, I see no potential for greatness. It's pretty obvious that they decided to make it a hack-n-slash from the beginning to try and appeal to a mass audience.

I'm even more concerned about the fate of ME3 because I actually had fun with the 2nd game, but I can't imagine the 3rd one being any good after DA2.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
1298415348094.jpg

This summed it up perfectly.

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
Black said:
Bioware doesn't fix, bioware removes.
Shitty inventory? Remove!
Shitty "tactical' view? Remove!
Shitty gameplay in all of our games? Remove gameplay!

Now they just have to figure out how to remove the writing.

Evolution complete.

:salute:

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Xor said:
It's pretty obvious that they decided to make it a hack-n-slash from the beginning to try and appeal to a mass audience.

Bullshit. They made it LOOK like a hack-n-slash but it's still pretty much the same combat from DA:O, only now it looks EXTREME AWESOME.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"All the guy playing it does is spamming 3 fire spells, in exactly the same order, the very same fashion."

Kinda like FO. Shoot. shoot some more. shoot again. WIN THE FIGHT!

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I did my part and started a download. Is that enough to count towards the one million?

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I already registered the demo on three computers BECAUSE I REALLY WANT THAT BOOK THAT GIVES MONEYZ GUISE.

Volourn said:

What a curious comparison to make.

Ogg

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Volourn said:
"All the guy playing it does is spamming 3 fire spells, in exactly the same order, the very same fashion."

FO combat wasn't a paragon of tactical gameplay, but you at least had to manage your AP, spend a second or two thinking about getting near an opponent or not, choose to fire an aimed shot, use a stimpack or some chems...

And of course, not winning the fight was a possible conclusion. I mean, contrary to DA2. (better pointing out the obvious when talking to Volourn)

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
No! I won't have this! How DARE you all criticize the spawns out of midair???? This is the OLD SCHOOL EXPERIENCE! Don't you all remember back in ancient times playing Wizardry and moving forward in a seemingly empty corridor before 'BAM' a sprite of a beastie suddenly appears from nowhere?

BIOWARE IS TRYING TO CATER TO THE OLD GAMERS WITH THIS GAMEPLAY ADDITION!

I salute Bioware for moving in this direction and finally giving us a game for both the old and new gamers!

Gord

Arcane
Pegultagol said:
DX11 graphics comparison - in German

Just thought it worth mentioning whether they in fact implemented to put lipstick on a pig.

Hmm, interestingly one of the features of using DX11 rendering, displacement mapping, makes it look as if the character sinks into the ground made of solid stone plates.

Now back in my days we didn't need DX11 for that and we called it clipping :obviously:

Gord said:
Pegultagol said:
DX11 graphics comparison - in German

Just thought it worth mentioning whether they in fact implemented to put lipstick on a pig.

Hmm, interestingly one of the features of using DX11 rendering, displacement mapping, makes it look as if the character sinks into the ground made of solid stone plates.

Now back in my days we didn't need DX11 for that and we called it clipping :obviously:

Can Dx11 handle displacement mapping in real time? Any way as you said it looks really bad with the clipping like that, would have been much better with a little bit more geometry on the ground and then simply using a normal map on it instead... oh wait the consoles 6 year old hardware can't handle it!

Gord

Arcane
I might be wrong here, but wouldn't consoles give you the DX9/DX10 graphics and DX11 details would be PC exclusive?

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Merkwürdigliebe said:
oh wait the consoles 6 year old hardware can't handle it!
My fucking 386 from 21 years ago could handle it! :decline: of 6-year-old consoles.

Pegultagol said:
To get your download counted, you will need to log into your EA account while playing the demo.
:rage:
Will definitely install and play demo tonight then. Well... install and register. Wanna make sure BN gets his money ;)

commie said:
No! I won't have this! How DARE you all criticize the spawns out of midair???? This is the OLD SCHOOL EXPERIENCE! Don't you all remember back in ancient times playing Wizardry and moving forward in a seemingly empty corridor before 'BAM' a sprite of a beastie suddenly appears from nowhere?

BIOWARE IS TRYING TO CATER TO THE OLD GAMERS WITH THIS GAMEPLAY ADDITION!

I salute Bioware for moving in this direction and finally giving us a game for both the old and new gamers!
:salute:

Goddamn, even Dead Space has the monsters come out of somewhere, whether it's the same stupid panel, grate or fan you've seen dozens of times before.

Since DA is set in a "fantasy" world, they don't have a good equivalent to the monster grate. Trapdoor rocks maybe? Or they could ride in on clouds.

a budda

Arbiter
we will unlock two in-game items for the entire community to use in Dragon Age II [...] so check back often!

AWESOME!!

this blatantly sums up DA2 target audience

Are YOU that audience?
mustache+guy.jpg

tehRPness

Educated
Just uninstalled the demo. Graphics suck, voice acting sucks, animations suck, UI sucks. Bioware has gone full retard. *installs BG again with a sigh*

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
March 2011 marks the launch of the Dragon Age II Scene Release and a Call to Arms for all Piratebay fans. We are actively recruiting an fleet of Pirates, and if we get over 1 million torrent downloads on the website, Rapidshare and Megaupload combined before April 1st, we will unlock two other scene releases for the entire community to install instead of Dragon Age II. Torrent leeching progress will be tracked on this page, so check back often!

Tempting.
:hmmm:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom