Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's LARP the Emperor's Finest - a wh40k IF

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Kayerts -- Steps 2-6 take less than a minute to do by hand anyway. root was asking me if I had a program earlier, but as I explained to him, writing a program that could parse from post #x to post #y, isolate and count votes while still accounting for people quoting each other, people musing about choices instead of voting and people not adhering to any kind of uniform formatting would probably take longer than total time spent collecting, sorting and counting votes for the entirety of this LP.

If we could agree that people had to encase their vote in some kind of tag, say [VOTE]1BY[/VOTE], you could probably write a pretty efficient parser that matches post with username and disregards all subsequent [VOTE][/VOTE] occurences in their posts in the span you're counting votes in, as well as telling it to disregard all instances of [VOTE][/VOTE] that occur inside quotations. But again, it's a lot of extra work for very little gain. I mean, seriously, if it bothers root that much to count votes, he can just go "voting closed, Ulminati, get to work!" and I'll tally them no problem. I'll even post my calculation steps as above so people can be all butthurt if I forget to count their vote.

Kayerts

Arcane
Ulminati -- ha, all good and valid points. I take an inordinate amount of satisfaction from writing simple text-processing scripts, so I figured I'd offer, but you're def. right about efficiency.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
btw, 1AX is the most pious, Emperor-Fearing choice. Not 1AZ as some people seem to think.
The Emperor asks only that you hate.
Your Superior asks only that you obey.

Yes but we're Renegade Shep much like famous Colonel Commissar is so:

1)The Emperor Protects, and I will do whatever is needed of me for the sake of the Imperium. Death or Glory! Victory is measured in blood; mine, or mine enemies’.

After what we did in hold... which I voted against no time for adeptus Kitchenus aproach.

A)Play up my reputation. The men will be more efficient under a ruthless commander who does what needs doing. They have been lazing about for too long; it’s time to instill a measure of resolve. It is better to be feared than loved.

Yes if we want our men fallow us into warp (and hopefuly back) we need whip them into proper Emperor aproved frenzy.... they're doomed but can achieve Redemption with our help.

Y) Be neutral towards him. Let him exert his authority within the bounds of reason, but be wary of when he urges you into too much carelessness. The Baneblade will be employed as it becomes necessary. This might lead him to believe you are being intentionally
disrespectful, but such is the Commander’s lot.

Walk Softly and carry the Big Gun. Give him all respect His Rank and achievements require... But Baneblade will be needed to cover our assoult. Emperor protects... but having eleven barrels of hell is good too. :smug:

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I'm not going to add Commissar Dracos vote to the tally above. I assumed the point where root tagged me twice in 2 hours complaining about the Adeptus Mechanicus not providing him with a tallying servitor was the point where voting was closed and tallied.

Ah, so it's a man-machine hybrid! I was wondering.
You're more right than you realize. A lot of my early studies at university was mnemetic exercises to train us to emulate a computer so we could design and understand complex algorithms on paper.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
A lot of my early studies at university was mnemetic exercises to train us to emulate a computer so we could design and understand complex algorithms on paper.

Did you also drink sapho juice?

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion
It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Kayerts

Arcane
You're more right than you realize. A lot of my early studies at university was mnemetic exercises to train us to emulate a computer so we could design and understand complex algorithms on paper.

Ha, yeah, same here. I even had an ex-Soviet prof whose mother was a computer. (I always felt like I was at a disadvantage in his class, since my mother was a person.)

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
It's an extremely useful skill to have, so long as it's something you cognizant of doing and keep as a seperate train of thought. Doing it invoulentarily just makes you an autist :P

If you're doing some low-concentration task like gossiping, watching tv or whatever it's sometimes nice to run some background computations and solving whatever high-concentration task you happen to be stumped at at the time. It's like recognizing "I'm not using this part of the brain at the moment. I have this other problem that needs solving. Let's idly try analyzing it from random angles and see if a solution clicks in place".
I frequently do my best programming when I'm not sitting at the computer. But it can be a bit difficult to explain in a socially acceptable way why you suddenly fist-pump and go "EUREKA!" in the middle of a boring dinner conversation.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Had 1AX won, you would have been granted a fatepoint for following the Imperial Creed without a thought for yourself.
1251840293112.png

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
even if you tallied commissar draco's post, the end result would not change. thank you brother Ulminati, i feel that with your graphical representation of the process I can probably make it on my own now.
out of curiosity, what are these mnemonic exercises you use to run? this stuff interests me.

the winner is 1AY
the tally is as follows
1:18, 2:15, 3:1
A:19, B:15
x:1, Y:25, Z:8

Had 1AX won, you would have been granted a fatepoint for following the Imperial Creed without a thought for yourself. Ironically this ties-in with Alex 's previous post about the virtue of sacrifice being self-sacrifice.

gaunts-ghosts.jpg

Nope we're the type One who shoots Commanders for heresy Imperial Hero.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Had 1AX won, you would have been granted a fatepoint for following the Imperial Creed without a thought for yourself. Ironically this ties-in with Alex 's previous post about the virtue of sacrifice being self-sacrifice.
It's like I'm really playing a Sierra point and click adventure game!

Random Word

Arbiter
MCA Project: Eternity
Had 1AX won, you would have been granted a fatepoint for following the Imperial Creed without a thought for yourself. Ironically this ties-in with Alex's previous post about the virtue of sacrifice being self-sacrifice.

But we sacrificed riding around in a Baneblade for the good of our men, and so it could best be used to carry out the mission assigned to us by our superiors. The Emperor is totally cool with that. X would have been violating the Imperial Creed by using the Baneblade to enlarge Holt's ego rather than accomplish His will.

Esquilax

Arcane
The man made a slight on our honor. If we ignore it, he'll think we're a pussy - this is the sort of thing that a dude like Valkrin would do. If we steer things towards a nerdy tl;dr argument about "What is an RPG a competent Commissar?" then he'll think we're full of shit, too robotic, and lacking in the zealotry, passion and balls required to lead this group of men to a glorious death for the Emperor.

We took a neutral stance last time, which Holt didn't like, which is why I think he's testing Shepard to see what he's made of. We have to show him that we are a faithful servant of the Emperor, and the only way we can do that right now is to set him straight for questioning our loyalty to the Steel Legion.

If we're willing to fight him on this, he'll have some measure of respect for us. Holt demands obedience from his underlings, but he hates sniveling little promotion-seeking shits too. Which is why he sent Limpwrist McFaggot off to die.

2)

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
The man made a slight on our honor. If we ignore it, he'll think we're a pussy - this is the sort of thing that a dude like Valkrin would do. If we steer things towards a nerdy tl;dr argument about "What is an RPG a competent Commissar?" then he'll think we're full of shit, too robotic, and lacking in the zealotry, passion and balls required to lead this group of men to a glorious death for the Emperor.

We took a neutral stance last time, which Holt didn't like, which is why I think he's testing Shepard to see what he's made of. We have to show him that we are a faithful servant of the Emperor, and the only way we can do that right now is to set him straight for questioning our loyalty to the Steel Legion.

If we're willing to fight him on this, he'll have some measure of respect for us. Holt demands obedience from his underlings, but he hates sniveling little promotion-seeking shits too. Which is why he sent Limpwrist McFaggot off to die.

2)

I agree wholeheartedly!

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
1)Our Shep doesn't give a damn what other people thinks, he has 2 mutants on the command squad already.
Commisar is right on this one anyways, no point trying to squirm and counter argue that he misread the situation and throw a hissy fit that he somehow got it wrong. Trying to whitewash our previous deeds as being more noble and heroic then they actually were is something Limpwrist MgFaggot would have done, real men accept their mistakes and move on.

Besides we got a big task ahead of us, let us not start bickering with the comissar just because of what happened to the previous IG character.

Flipflopped to 2)

Final flipflop to 4)

2)

Kayerts

Arcane
Honestly, if you put your hand in the vicinity of Holt's face, you have like a 70% chance of grabbing his collar without trying:

holt.jpg

I would prefer to do that while telling him to choose his next words with exceptional care. Since we can't, 2
e: flopping to Ulminati's 4.
which is apparently a variation of 2, voting for that.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
2. He wanted to see our war face to inspire the men. Let's grab his collar and show it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom