Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's play ADOM

Higher Game

Arcane
I should also mention that very, very high toughness characters get a bonus to their PV. Trollish beastfighters who answer their character questions with the intent to maximize toughness are incredibly durable for the early game. I just made one who ended up with 31 toughness, which gave him a natural PV of 6 (8 with his furs), which made him immune to many monsters attacks. Throw on some decent armor and he'll have almost nothing to fear until much later.

The cool thing about this is that you can get away with not equipping stuff that might be cursed, which saves you uncursing scrolls and holy water.

barker_s

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I listened to your suggestion about making a dwarven paladin since I've never tried this build before. He's extremely powerful, killing bad guys left and right. Unfortunately I ended up pissing my god off. I found this scroll, read it and summoned an orc. Orcs, I thought, are bitter enemies of dwarves, so my deity will be happy if I sacrifice it! Couldn't be more wrong. Now I'm walking around with every item on me cursed. Anybody knows a simple way to uncurse my equipment :wink: ?

And by the way, does mining have any use in ADOM? I've yet to find a pickaxe and find out for myself.

Higher Game

Arcane
barker_s said:
I listened to your suggestion about making a dwarven paladin since I've never tried this build before. He's extremely powerful, killing bad guys left and right. Unfortunately I ended up pissing my god off. I found this scroll, read it and summoned an orc. Orcs, I thought, are bitter enemies of dwarves, so my deity will be happy if I sacrifice it! Couldn't be more wrong. Now I'm walking around with every item on me cursed. Anybody knows a simple way to uncurse my equipment :wink: ?

Deities don't like summoned creatures, because they're too cheap. Also, If you were sacrificing to a chaotic altar, your deity would understandably be very upset, since dwarves are lawful. A blessed scroll of uncurse should set you straight. If you just have a cursed or normal one, dip it in holy water to bless it.

barker_s said:
And by the way, does mining have any use in ADOM? I've yet to find a pickaxe and find out for myself.

You need mining to access certain temples to continue the game, at some points; tunneling is required for many areas. However, these areas are often highly corrupting, and mining takes time, so I'd save some wands of digging for them and leave mining to cleaner areas. You can of course find stones for throwing, ore for smithing, and if I remember correctly even crystals of insight, which reveal the map, and if they're blessed, give +1 or +2 to learning. Mining also helps develop strength.

Korgan

Arbiter
Zomg said:
Just do the wish engine exploit before the endgame, then. You can even wish up a new puppy for the little girl (as long as you don't tell her the puppy was dead).

You mean repeatedly casting Wish from a book during Silvernight/Darknight, using the Orb of Mana and Scrolls of Remove Corruption? Heard about that, yeah. Sounds X-TREME.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Unradscorpion said:
I didn't, mostly because ADOM is a rather subpar roguelike comparing to Nethack, Angband(might be nostalgia), Crawl, DF, Incursion, Elona, GearHead... And many more. :wink:
No

Unradscorpion

Arbiter
Elwro said:
Unradscorpion said:
I didn't, mostly because ADOM is a rather subpar roguelike comparing to Nethack, Angband(might be nostalgia), Crawl, DF, Incursion, Elona, GearHead... And many more. :wink:
No
It's okay if you want to play something more akin to an usual RPG with ASCII graphics.
But it doesn't bring anything new to the table, except for maybe taint which isn't so great.
No random generation = fail.
Once you have the spoilers there is not much interesting things to do.

And now he is making JADE which is just ADoM on Java.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
There's plenty of random generation in ADOM. And it has more common sense than other roguelikes so you can learn it without spoilers.

TheLostOne

Savant
Thinking of trying out gearhead. They have GearHead 2 out apparently. Which is superior?

Castanova

Prophet
Has anyone watched that demo video of JADE he released? It looks ri-dic-ulous and not necessarily in a good way. When he does a map reveal of the town and you see the town is made up of about 1,000 interlocked houses with random people living in them... wtf? I'm sorry but I don't want to spend 2 hours walking through town.

Higher Game

Arcane
TheLostOne said:
Thinking of trying out gearhead. They have GearHead 2 out apparently. Which is superior?

Gearhead I. The second one is currently very raw and not ready for prime time. The first one is very polished, and looks great with tiles.

barker_s

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I've seen it. JADE is supposed to be ADOM but written in Java and with some additions. Yeah, that city was ridiculously large, but I think I could bear it if it had more diversity (say, buildings could be pre-defined and then just randomly placed).

Higher Game

Arcane
I sadly think everything Jade was trying to be has already been done by Dwarf Fortress. I wish Biskup would work on ADOM more. :(

By the way, what's an efficient way of taking screenies? I'm thinking of putting some down for this.

Zomg

Arbiter
Korgan said:
Zomg said:
Just do the wish engine exploit before the endgame, then. You can even wish up a new puppy for the little girl (as long as you don't tell her the puppy was dead).

You mean repeatedly casting Wish from a book during Silvernight/Darknight, using the Orb of Mana and Scrolls of Remove Corruption? Heard about that, yeah. Sounds X-TREME.

No, that's the shitty wish engine.

The better one comes from knowing that dipping a stack of rings in a blessed potion of exchange can create a stack of rings of djinni summoning and that you can wish for potions of exchange. That, and probability theory.

Monolith

Prophet
Gawd, that game drew me in. So many things I have to do and I can't stop playing. Fuckin' hell.

Chork

Scholar
Ugh, haven't played this game in years but this thread drew me back to it.

Now, my best character ever (19 human paladin, crowned+post-crowned champion of balance) is stuck in a rather annoying situation: I need to go to the Tower of Eternal Flame, but I have no fireproof blanket or Rings of Ice. :?

The rings I can work around, since most of my really good gear is fire-immune anyways, but the blanket isn't really optional.

To make a long story short, anyone know if (and where) I can find a guaranteed fireproof blanket?

Palikka

Arcane
EDIT: Eeps! Nevermind that, it wasnt a fireproof blanket you get from there..

Chork said:
To make a long story short, anyone know if (and where) I can find a guaranteed fireproof blanket?
The Small Cave (NW from Terinyo) has one guaranteed. The place is a bitch for your level though..

Korgan

Arbiter
Palikka said:
EDIT: Eeps! Nevermind that, it wasnt a fireproof blanket you get from there..

Chork said:
The Small Cave (NW from Terinyo) has one guaranteed. The place is a bitch for your level though..

Yeah, it's waterproof. Still useful, though. I always go through SMC and UD when I roll a semi-viable character. The real threat on this route is often the stone giant lord in HMV.

elander_

Arbiter
Tried this game twice. The first time with a troll female assassin (the game created the character for me) who could pawn practically anything with one hit. She eat a kobold and got sick then she was killed by a dopleganger. The second time was with a druid dwarf who could fight ok. When he was trying to open a door he got blinded then killed by something he couldn't see. It looks like not getting killed in an unpredictable way is impossible, but the game is very fun for a quick ride.

garren

Arcane
Patron
elander_ said:
Tried this game twice. The first time with a troll female assassin (the game created the character for me) who could pawn practically anything with one hit. She eat a kobold and got sick then she was killed by a dopleganger. The second time was with a druid dwarf who could fight ok. When he was trying to open a door he got blinded then killed by something he couldn't see. It looks like not getting killed in an unpredictable way is impossible, but the game is very fun for a quick ride.
Try getting paralyzed while sick. Fun times.

Chork

Scholar
Yeah, I'm not worried about my weapons and armour, it's the stuff in my backpack. Hence the blanket. I suppose I'll just blunder through the ID until one shows.

I'm really liking this character, though. Got the Justifier for crowning, and I can one-hit-kill a Master Lich with the damn thing.

Higher Game

Arcane
Castanova said:
Someone do an ADOM Let's Play where you get really far in the game.. Chork, I'm looking at you.

I would do one if I knew how to take little screenshots of ADOM.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom