Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's play ADOM

Mor

Novice
Alt + print screen.

Chork

Scholar
Castanova said:
Someone do an ADOM Let's Play where you get really far in the game.. Chork, I'm looking at you.
I'd do one if I could write worth a damn.

Korgan

Arbiter
Fuck. My human wizard found a +18/+18 eternium 2h sword in SMC. Then he fell into a pit trap somewhere in UD while sick and died.

Chork

Scholar
Korgan said:
Fuck. My human wizard found a +18/+18 eternium 2h sword in SMC. Then he fell into a pit trap somewhere in UD while sick and died.
Figures.

On the plus side, I cleared out Darkforge (L21 now) and while draining those pools... I got a wish (as well as horribly aged)! Wished for rings of ice, so now it's do-or-die time in the ToEF.

Let's hope this game continues to go well.

edit: Success! Ancient Chaos Wyrm is dead and the orb is mine. Even got the corpse, which hopefully won't rot while I take it to the druid.

DoppelG

Scholar
I'm a complete newb concerning games like this but i tried Incursion and although i can't even clear out one level without dying i'm getting the hang of it, the stupid inventory and howeveryoufuckingactuallybeabletoselectstufftodoorwhatever is fucking killing me though.
Does ADOM "make more sense" in that regard, cause i refuse to read any manual when it comes to simply learning retarded controls which imo is one of the only reasons these games fail.

Relien

Scholar
DoppelG said:
Does ADOM "make more sense" in that regard, cause i refuse to read any manual when it comes to simply learning retarded controls which imo is one of the only reasons these games fail.
There's an in-game manual, press '?' followed by "k" to see which key does what. You won't need most of them, but you should know how to pick up/drop stuff, eat, shoot, look around, walk/wait (continuously), drink potions, read scrolls, change tactics etc.

You can always look how to do the more obscure stuff like praying, offering (at an altar), paying for stuff in shops, wiping your face or cleaning your ears when you'll need it.

It's recommended to read at least some basic sections of the manual, e.g. how spells work if you're a spellcaster etc.

DoppelG

Scholar
Yea, you're right.
Can you change the keyboard layout ingame though, for some reason half of these games make my keyboard go bonkers and changes it from AZERTY to something that seems to be QWERTY but it isn't, i think.
(I really like Incursion, but from what i've heard development stopped which would be a real shame, or is that wrong?)

Korgan

Arbiter
The next Incursion release is promised to happen in February. I hope that guy keeps working on it; it has X-TREME potential.

Higher Game

Arcane
Castanova said:
Higher Game, you working on your Let's Play? Let's do this!

I just now figured out how to make the screenshots, so I'm working on a game now. Imageshack isn't working, though. :x Hopefully I'll have something good soon, RNG be damned.

Solohk

Scholar
Wow, it will be awhile before I'd be capable of creating a let's play. The valiant beastfighter Thud finds the small village of Terinyo, agrees to help a girl find her doggie, decides to bravely meet a hill orc patrol in battle and...

thudaa5.png

Perhaps my second attempt will get to day 2.

Higher Game

Arcane
Well, my character is looking much nicer; he has just reached dwarftown. He had some good luck (7 league boots and (0,6) cloak of protection) and some bad (both getting torched by stupid doors), but he's overall improving and advancing. He has plenty of holy water, identify, and his weapon skills are very high for this point, including level 8 shielding.

I don't have many screenies though, just 7 so far. Soon I'll be harvesting herbs in the big room to get his willpower and dexterity to 25, and enough stomafillia to aim for a precrowning. :twisted:

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
My dark elf elementalist is doing alright as well. He's become champion in the Arena (is it worth giving away the golden gladius to the dude in dwarftown, btw?) and is currently a couple of levels beneath dwarftown. There are a couple of things that bug me though. The magic system doesn't make much sense, there's both a mana (PP) system and a memorization system at the same time it seems like and I'm having trouble knowing just how many more times I can cast a certain spell before I'm out, usually at a very inopportune moment. Oh, and does training work? I've given a lot of gold to the dwarven trainer but haven't really seen any increase in stats so far.

Any tips on how to find more spellbooks and get the Herbalism skill, I don't really feel like experimenting with the herbs?

garren

Arcane
Patron
Solohk said:
Wow, it will be awhile before I'd be capable of creating a let's play. The valiant beastfighter Thud finds the small village of Terinyo, agrees to help a girl find her doggie, decides to bravely meet a hill orc patrol in battle and...

thudaa5.png

You didn't ask for divine help! That could have saved your ass.

Korgan

Arbiter
Level 13 Dwarf Paladin, adamantium gear, DV 38/PV 22, spear of mayhem, 24 Str, 20 To. Entered a deadly room ("Dreadful silence, all sounds are muffled" or something) with a beehive in below Dwarftown. RIP. Watch out for this shit, anything can pwn you while you're inside.

Higher Game

Arcane
Azael said:
My dark elf elementalist is doing alright as well. He's become champion in the Arena (is it worth giving away the golden gladius to the dude in dwarftown, btw?)

Yes.

Azael said:
There are a couple of things that bug me though. The magic system doesn't make much sense, there's both a mana (PP) system and a memorization system at the same time it seems like and I'm having trouble knowing just how many more times I can cast a certain spell before I'm out, usually at a very inopportune moment.

Your PP is short term power, whereas your memorization level is your long term ability that WILL eventually run out, but reading more of a spellbook should crank it up again. A few thousand levels of something is usually plenty to not worry about it.

Azael said:
Oh, and does training work? I've given a lot of gold to the dwarven trainer but haven't really seen any increase in stats so far.

For stat increases beyond 15 or so, it takes obscene amounts of gold. You train first, and then see the increase later, during a check.

Azael said:
Any tips on how to find more spellbooks and get the Herbalism skill, I don't really feel like experimenting with the herbs?

Herbalism is a quest skill the Terinyo druid can give you. Spellbooks are found normally in dungeons, and this is usually enough, but if you're really running out of castings, try scumming the infinite dungeon to get them. Maybe resort to book casting if you're truly desperate (there are some good talents that help with this).

Higher Game

Arcane
garren said:

He also didn't pick the Alert talent. That would later allow Miser (lots of gold) and Treasure Hunter (lots of loot). That's the best talent tree in the game.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
So far I've only found one single spellbook and it was for a spell I'm not using terrible much (Light, unless there are gremlins around...). All my spells I've received through levelling. Can I read a book several times in a row just to get more memorization of the spell?

I've read about stairscumming, but I'm not actually sure what it entails.

Solohk

Scholar
garren said:
Solohk said:

http://img366.imageshack.us/img366/7108/thudaa5.png

I'll have you know I managed to lightly wound the orc sergeant before succumbing to death!

Higher Game said:
He also didn't pick the Alert talent. That would later allow Miser (lots of gold) and Treasure Hunter (lots of loot). That's the best talent tree in the game.
Hmmmm, sounds good. I'll certainly pick it in my next attempt.

dragonfk

Erudite
Azael said:
All my spells I've received through levelling. Can I read a book several times in a row just to get more memorization of the spell?

Yes it is possible though you gain much less "learning points" from reading a spellbook when you havent used up your "learning points" from reading the spellbook for the first time.

I've got a question. Is there any other way to know what stats a cloak(or anything else) has than wearing it? Or what the hell is that blue potion?

Higher Game

Arcane
dragonfk said:
I've got a question. Is there any other way to know what stats a cloak(or anything else) has than wearing it? Or what the hell is that blue potion?

You can't know their stats before wearing it, but you can know its cursed/uncursed/blessed status from dropping it on a coaligned altar. Dropping potions of water on a coaligned altar gives you holy water, which can be used to bless stuff. So, don't throw away those cursed 7 league boots! ;)

A blue potion is random. Watery potions are always water and orange are always carrot juice, iirc.

Azael said:
So far I've only found one single spellbook and it was for a spell I'm not using terrible much (Light, unless there are gremlins around...). All my spells I've received through levelling. Can I read a book several times in a row just to get more memorization of the spell?

Yes, you can read a book more to get more castings, but eventually the book gives out. I think elementalists don't get books as often as wizards do, since they're not "full mages" or something.

Azael said:
I've read about stairscumming, but I'm not actually sure what it entails.

It's simple. You go up and down stairs in the infinite dungeon, and stop to pick up any loot you see. It's more efficient than fully exploring every level.

Solohk said:
Hmmmm, sounds good. I'll certainly pick it in my next attempt.

Don't forget that you must take alert upon creation, because it's a talent that can't be taken later.

Higher Game

Arcane
Castanova said:
I'm hearing lots of stories but not seeing any proof. Screenshots or it didn't happen.

Ok. ITZ COMING.

adom1uz8.jpg

Our hero is Cleve Blakemore. Thanks to his Asperger's abilities, being able to control the minds of lesser beings, he decided to become a mindcrafter. His race? Why, he's a troll of course! :D

adom2ef6.jpg

His first kill was an outlaw. Not too uncommon or common I'd say.

adom3rp3.jpg

The RNG was very generous; it tends to be when you decide to enter the unremarkable dungeon. Well, that or a complete bitch. Sadly, the only surviving piece of equipment is his shield.

adom4vx9.jpg

He made it through the dungeon! He no longer fears starvation, due to the stomafillia harvested, but he is strained under the weight of all his phat loot. That, and his awesomeness.

adom5tn4.jpg

At this point, just after the unremarkable dungeon, he's very skilled. Currently, he has level *10* in shielding and polearms.

adom6lb2.jpg

I instinctively go around that way, because it seems to help me avoid the stone giant lord, if he is there. Unlike my last attempt, I made it this time! :D He is not longer strained, due to selling his loot to another troll, a shopkeeper, who gave him bucketloads of cash.

adom7jc4.jpg

Hotzenplotz is about to get slaughtered. I waited for his bouncers to line up with him, and then confused all 3 with my Asperger's abilities. They died painfully. :twisted:

adom8uy9.jpg

Dwarftown! By now his amulet of order has made him a virtuous troll, and his quest monster is a cinch. No cats killed yet. :twisted:

adom9ko0.jpg

Time to score some herb. By making a use (hell, one of the only uses) of his wands of door creation, he can pack these worms into a corner. The game engine can't handle more than ~40 enemies, so once these little bastards breed, they're stuck in a zoo and no more monsters will spawn. Now I can enjoy some herb in peace. :lol:

adom10lq4.jpg

The dwarftown trainer helps my charisma and perception. The herbs train my willpower and dexterity (and toughness too, if it were less than 25). I manipulated to herbs to make them grow explosively. Once my stats all reach high levels, beyond what training and herbs could boost, I'll drink my potions of gain attributes for even moar power! The undead area and the pyramid won't stand a chance against me. Oh yes, IT'Z COMING!!!!

:twisted:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom