Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's play ADOM

Castanova

Prophet
More! More! More! With more frequent screenshots!!!

Higher Game

Arcane
adom11om8.jpg

Cleve is really beefy now, especially for a level 12. His stats are solid all around, and he's ready to kill some undead. By the way, I'm not going to do an ultra ending, just aiming for vanilla, because I don't feel like scumming any more. :twisted:

Relien

Scholar
Higher Game, have you read the guide or does your knowledge about this insanely difficult game come solely from your experience with it (no shame in reading the guide, it's more complex than the ~6 MB X3 guide I guess :) )

Higher Game

Arcane
Relien said:
Higher Game, have you read the guide or does your knowledge about this insanely difficult game come solely from your experience with it (no shame in reading the guide, it's more complex than the ~6 MB X3 guide I guess :) )

Some of both. Pacifying the big room with wands of door creation and breeders is definitely something I wouldn't have figured out by myself. Herb patterns I did know, if only because I'm a Game of Life dork who likes looking at custom spaceships. :oops:

Higher Game

Arcane
adom12ho7.jpg

My quest is to disinfect this graveyard of whatever enemies it contains.

adom13si9.jpg

Undead, what else? :)

adom14ag7.jpg

Great treasures tend to be guarded by emperor liches. Hell, sometimes there is no treasure, just really powerful baddies down there! Generally, it's not worth going for.

adom15rn9.jpg

Griff isn't hard at all. He's tough, but does little damage.

adom17rc7.jpg

Nonnak is a lot tougher. He hits harder and regenerates, but he's not really too hard. If you do the pyramid first, you can get a cold immunity armor, which can help a lot.

adom19nl0.jpg

Some very nice gauntlets are guarded by a bone golem. Compared to the 2 earlier bosses, he's too easy. :)

adom20jf5.jpg

My gear so far. I still miss my 7LB, and the spear was damaged by a jelly (I forgot which ones damage weapons...), but I am still very well off.

adom21qd8.jpg

My next quest way to get through the animated forest. Coward mode is a must.

adom22fk8.jpg

My quest after the forest was to kill a bunch of ogres (boring, not worth showing), and then becoming arena champion.

adom23yg7.jpg

Hell, yeah! Tactics and backstabbing are both very cool skills. The artifact sword you dig up from Griff's grave is better than the gladius anyway, especially for a mindcrafter. I hold on to it when the spear just isn't getting things done, and I need to use a little Asperger's. :D

adom24om9.jpg

A new challenge appears!

adom25gx4.jpg

The pyramid awaits.

adom27hm6.jpg

Ironically, I would be stealing this stupid mummy's artifact wrapping. Sorry, it's YOUR skin that will be taken. :twisted:

adom28yx5.jpg

Yeah, dwarven halls were a bad idea. I ran from this, obviously.

adom29vn8.jpg

This damn forest almost makes me wish I had fought the karmic dragon. :x

adom30mw2.jpg

You need to get beeswax from the hive before fighting the banshee. I'll probably just lure the banshee to the forest for a little revenge. :twisted:

adom31ja9.jpg

Sorry Kelly, but I don't feel like grinding. 'Twas nice knowing you. :(

adom32ug4.jpg

More undead. If you haven't figured it out yet, having a blessed weapon is very, very nice.

adom33do3.jpg

Skillz matter. What's unmentioned is that they also make you attack faster, movement points wise. Combined with a high speed, and you can often hit 2-3 times for each enemy attack.

MisterStone

Arcane
Looking pretty good! Another fun thing to do, since you are a Mindcrafter with teleportation control, is to get your hands on a wand of teleportation, zip into the second level of darkforge, and teleport yourself into the vaults with the magic weapons and magic armor, then zip yourself out. If you have the map more or less memorized, that is. :)

You'll want to make sure you have plenty of charges to use on that wand as well...

Zomg

Arbiter
Higher Game said:
Great treasures tend to be guarded by emperor liches. Hell, sometimes there is no treasure, just really powerful baddies down there! Generally, it's not worth going for.

I've gotten wands of wishing out of 'em multiple times and never seen one anywhere else. If you have some stacked fate smiles luck bonuses it seems incredibly rare to get anything rougher than a master lich, which a midgame character can kill in one hit with slaying ammo. I wouldn't mess with them with a troll or an orc because liches can spew out ghost lords (for those not familiar, orcs and trolls have really short lifespans and ghosts attack by aging you - a troll is perpetually like 2 ghost lord hits from death, and even one hit can ruin your stats), but otherwise I risk it just for the XP from master liches, with the loot is a bonus. Just dig with a wand and zap yourself with teleport to escape if you get a bad one.

Higher Game

Arcane
MisterStone said:
Looking pretty good! Another fun thing to do, since you are a Mindcrafter with teleportation control, is to get your hands on a wand of teleportation, zip into the second level of darkforge, and teleport yourself into the vaults with the magic weapons and magic armor, then zip yourself out. If you have the map more or less memorized, that is. :)

I can't figure out how I'm going to hurt those stupid golems, due to their insane PV. The only melee class that I've found can hurt them is the barbarian, with their mighty and tremendous blows able to smash through high PV. Darkforge has nothing I really need anyway except experience from the golems, since my defense is very good.

I'll probably play a drakeling barbarian next. This combination gets lots of good skills and class abilities. Trolls simply level too slowly, even for ultra endings (which I never intended to do).

MisterStone said:
You'll want to make sure you have plenty of charges to use on that wand as well...

Got one, and plenty of booze to keep it fueled. :twisted: Yggaz could get me lots more if I traded in some of my less important ones too.

Korgan

Arbiter
Higher Game said:
I can't figure out how I'm going to hurt those stupid golems, due to their insane PV. The only melee class that I've found can hurt them is the barbarian, with their mighty and tremendous blows able to smash through high PV. Darkforge has nothing I really need anyway except experience from the golems, since my defense is very good.
Phase daggers, lol. Unfortunately, they're rare.

MisterStone

Arcane
Darkforge often has nice stuff... a halberd of defense would be pretty badass... or a weapon with one of those brands that gives it like 10 extra dice worth of damage (one brand, "penetration" makes a weapon function like a phase dagger btw). Or some eternium armor... :twisted:

It's kind of a crap throw though. But if you got a wand 'o teleport and you know where those vaults are (use a scroll of mapping or a gem of knowledge, etc.) then you can blink in there and clean it out, then blink out, without killing any constructs. Just don't forget to search for traps. You could probably just turn on your mentalist shield power in order to keep yourself safe for the few turns you have to be in contact with the golems. You could even teleport them away from you.

I have even sucessfully raided those rooms with a low level (~5) character. Not really recommended, but possible.

dragonfk

Erudite
Arghhh... Stunned by seriously wounded ogre magi and killed without a chance to retaliate...God dammit! It was the 20th fight in the Arena...Fuck you ADOM...my poor poor Rellion...lvl 12 gray elf wizard with beautifull collection of spellbooks and items...WHYYYYY??!!

Higher Game

Arcane
dragonfk said:
Arghhh... Stunned by seriously wounded ogre magi and killed without a chance to retaliate...God dammit! It was the 20th fight in the Arena...Fuck you ADOM...my poor poor Rellion...lvl 12 gray elf wizard with beautifull collection of spellbooks and items...WHYYYYY??!!

Level 12 gray elf wizard? You were asking for it. :lol: For such a frail class, you need to do at the very least some herb scumming before the arena. The safest way of doing it is finishing the pyramid first, since the ancient mummy wrapping gives you both see invisible and cold immunity. Ogre mages suddenly look very, very weak. :twisted:

Higher Game

Arcane
adom34xu2.jpg

Ahh, the water temple.

adom35pu9.jpg

I had to dig to reach it. The fact that trolls get the mining skill is often underlooked. It can be very nice to get through walls quickly when a wand of digging isn't handy.

adom36vt7.jpg

Yeah, this will be tough.

adom37tr2.jpg

I have to watch out for critical hits from now on. At this point, they can do an extreme amount of damage.

adom38vw8.jpg

Permanent -1 to toughness. :( Familiar monsters are suddenly more powerful due to the deeper dungeon depth. Closer to the surface, these undead wouldn't be able to hit me at all.

adom39it5.jpg

FUUUUUUUUUUCKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!! :cry: I don't have any thick gauntlets with me, so I need to get back to dwarftown ASAP. Luring the banshee back through the forest is probably the best way. I was planning revenge on those jerks anyway.

adom40bd6.jpg

The banshee level. I tried (and failed) to lure the banshee to the forest, due to a stupid river. Yes, banshees can't swim. I should have built a bridge earlier... Well, time to try my luck with the dwarven halls! (remember the karmic dragons?)

adom41av5.jpg

Yikes! This could have ended me. Luckily, I killed the ghost lord, and got too overconfident...

adom42sb5.jpg

Game over. :cry: :evil: I forgot how nasty critical hits are at this point, and I was too retarded not to go to the puppy cave to kill ants for the acid resistance (was hoping futilely for more 7 league boots). Then again, I wouldn't have had to rush back if I had carried some stupid thick gauntlets with me in the first place. I was getting careless anyway due to a long string of various bad luck.

That's it for now. It's definitely time to use another race next time, probably gnome or drakeling, and I'll take poor Khelly's feelings into account, too. :D

Higher Game

Arcane
Boost willpower, toughness, and dexterity to at least 25 with herbs. Boost learning up to 25 by mining crystals of knowledge (it matters more for fast leveling races, since they can take more advantage of the skill increases). Drinking a potion of carrot juice in a room that smells like carrots gives +5 to perception. Corpses and herbs while starving or sick (stomacemptia and drakeling acid spit help here) can further help you go beyond the 25 limit. Eating kobold shaman corpses give a guaranteed +1 to mana, and the sickness is either no big deal or a benefit to training other stats. Training with Garth can economically get a stat like charisma to 15-17 or so, if you're diligent about saving gold. Holding the elemental orb of water in the tool slot gives +10 to willpower, a really nice boost to a mindcrafter. Or anyone, really.

Once you've pumped your stats to comfortable levels (25-30 on the important ones), bless and drink all the potions of gain attributes, etc, that you have. You should be very powerful at this point, at least stat-wise. Getting decent equipment and spells is another matter altogether. :wink:

MisterStone

Arcane
Have you ever had a high level weaponsmith character? I've always failed with those... it seems like I can never find a convenient forge and the necessary materials to outfit my guy...

You might want to try playing mindcrafter again with a different race, such as gnome... since they advance quickly, it means you get more mind crafting skills quickly. Also, they have gem lore, so if you can pump that up to 90 or so, and then let some ants hollow out a level for you, you end up with a godawful pile of nice gems. Gnomes also make good weaponsmiths for the same reason (they can get tons of ore).

Higher Game

Arcane
FUCK!!!! I lost a really promising chracter (drakeling barbarian, teleport control and a backup blink dog corpse sold in holeinthewall in case I wanted to pool scum, alter in the puppy cave big room ready for a precrowning as soon as I got level 8, +10 perception from carrot rooms, found a potion shop full of good stuff, poison and acid resistance from corpses, detect traps from the thieves guild, and so on) because I kicked down a trapped door with a fire trap, which made Jharod hostile. :cry: :cry: :cry:

I hate you ADOM. :( (quietly makes a new character) :)

Black_Willow said:
Higher Game, on what point of the game do you intend to be crowned for a champion?

Late. Going for an uber ending means you have to switch alignment around a lot, for certain quests. You can't win as a fallen champion.

MisterStone said:
Have you ever had a high level weaponsmith character? I've always failed with those... it seems like I can never find a convenient forge and the necessary materials to outfit my guy...

You might want to try playing mindcrafter again with a different race, such as gnome... since they advance quickly, it means you get more mind crafting skills quickly. Also, they have gem lore, so if you can pump that up to 90 or so, and then let some ants hollow out a level for you, you end up with a godawful pile of nice gems. Gnomes also make good weaponsmiths for the same reason (they can get tons of ore).

Weaponsmiths are just boring. They don't have any cool abilities that make them stand out as a class. No mindcraft, mighty attacks, pet skills, etc. Normal characters can smith well enough anyway.

I do like gnomes a lot. They're much tougher than elves, and they level fast, so they make excellent mages. Hell, they're good for any class.

Higher Game

Arcane
My latest character just got intrinsic invisibility from an invisible stalker corpse. :cool: I'll post pictures if I manage to get farther than my earlier guy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom