Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Let's play Berwick Saga (PS2 Strategy-RPG from the director of Fire Emblem 1-5)

Endemic

Arcane
Update 40: Chapter 4-2 - Children's Hero (part 1)

This mission used to be called "Champion of the Streets", but it was renamed to fit the UI better back in patch v32. That said, let's begin:

ber42_120k7c.png

ber42_2t2jki.png

Defender: We've got bigger things to worry about than your little problems, kid! Now go away!

Thaddy: Little problems?! A person's life is at stake!

Ward and Tianna arrive, noticing the argument.

ber42_3p1jde.png

Defender: Yes, there is! This blithering street urchin won't leave us in peace!

Thaddy: You bastard... You're supposed to protect this city, but you don't care that someone was kidnapped!

Ward: Kidnapped? What's this now, boy?

Thaddy: "Boy"?! Bah, you're all the same! I'm just some worthless punk off the street, is that right? I bet you'd both be singing a different tune if I were rich, like Vanmilion or some other bigwig!

Defender: Hold your tongue...!

Ward: You're quite the fiesty one! Do pardon me, I did not mean any offence by calling you "boy". Now what's this about a kidnapping?

Thaddy: Ah... Um, right... My friend Lena was kidnapped. I know the kind of men who did it. They're planning on selling her off to foreign slave drivers.

ber42_47ekfn.png

Thaddy: Haven't you ever been to the old parts of the city? We all lost our parents in the war. We have to look out for each other. It's not like we can count on anyone else to take care of us...

Ward: What a tragedy... Well, lad, do you know where your friend has been taken?

Tianna: But General Ward, we have already received orders for the next mission...

Ward: I cannot simply leave things as they are, Lady Tianna! I am certain that Lord Reese will agree with me once I explain the situation to him.

Tianna: I thought you might say that...Leave it to me, General. I will go and inform Lord Reese myself.

Ward: Thank you, Lady Tianna.

ber42_5pukty.png

Thaddy: But there's no way I can rush in there and rescue her by myself...

Ward: Why do you think I just sent word to my liege? We'll be helping you.

Thaddy: You're going to come with me?!

Ward: My subordinates will assist you. Can you lead them to the kidnappers' hideout, lad?

Thaddy: Of course I can. And it's not "lad", either. My name is Thaddy.

Ward: Very well, Thaddy. I hope everything goes well.

No wonder crime is running rampant in Narvia, if no soldiers are ever tasked to deal with it.

ber42_6m7kyk.png

Time to reorganize troops. I'll hire Arthur for 450 since he hasn't been deployed recently, and Axel for 380. For equipment, Elbert gets an iron spear and some pilums, and I give some steel arrows to Christine. Arthur gets a kiteshield, since his buckler is about to break. I also stop by the Kingfisher to get a small hp bonus for Elbert and Ruby (+5 and +3 respectively from the beef ribs option, which additionally proves +50% recovery speed from sleep status for Elbert).

After shuffling around inventory, the team is ready to go:

ber42_781jty.png

ber42_8xmkyw.png

ber42_9jokgr.png

ber42_10cokvt.png

ber42_11tkj73.png

ber42_12muj9j.png

ber42_13vhjw0.png

ber42_14jtj0i.png

Arriving at the mission site, the most prominent terrain feature is the river dividing the map roughly in half. There is an Imperial garrison to the north:

ber42_15kkkyq.png

To the west, there's a drawbridge guarded by numerous brigands and thieves. This is why I took Axel along. Larentia could also take care of it, of course.

ber42_16ybjkw.png

In the northwest is the house that Thaddy needs to reach, perched on some cliffs:

ber42_178djbb.png

It's guarded by this charming looking gentleman:

ber42_18kxkcw.png

ber42_19p7jqu.png

He's risky to engage in melee, so I'll be tasking Christine and Sylvis to put a few arrows in him. The tiger brace would be nice to have, it gives +10 to hit at the cost of -10 to dodge.

You could attack across the shallows, but the Imperials here are no pushovers:

ber42_20e9ji0.png

ber42_2134jtc.png

ber42_22nxjhl.png

ber42_23y2j56.png

ber42_24q9jf3.png

ber42_258zk6s.png

ber42_26xdj18.png

ber42_2754j2n.png

Last edited:

Endemic

Arcane
Update 41: Chapter 4-2 - Children's Hero (part 2)

I shuffle Elbert and Arthur to the front and start the mission.

ber42_28pqjgx.png

Thaddy: Wait for me, Lena... I'm coming to save you...I'll do everything it takes to get you back!

In the house where she's being held, Boltz enters the cellar to check on her:

ber42_296ekd9.png

Lena: .....

Boltz: Enjoy it while ya can, lass. Couple days more, and ye'll be with whoever buys ya. Well, I guess there's always the chance that nobody wants ya. Hahaha!

Lena: Help me...

Boltz: Ain't nobody comin' to help ya! This place is my turd, y'hear? Best be keeping' yer whinin' to yerself if ya know what's good for ya.

ber42_3064j9a.png

Meanwhile, the Imperial patrol is having their own discussion:

ber42_31nhk8e.png

Imperial Officer: Ignore the thieves for now. They ought to at least have the prudence to stay out of our way. Of course, they may not appreciate our presence here. Should it come to that, remind them of their place in this world.

Axe Guard: Yes, sir.

Imperial Officer: The Berwick army may come from across the river at any time. Keep your wits about you. If you do spot them, sound the alarm and send word as quickly as you can. I'll give the signal, and we'll all rush together to support you.

Axe Guard: Understood! Thank you, sir! We will remain vigilant.

ber42_3225kvw.png

The objectives screen confirms that the Imperial soldiers will move to attack you, if you enter their range. A quick note on long-range magic:

ber42_3310ktt.png

I'll go into more detail about Thaddy's stats and abilities after the mission. For now, I'll say that his most useful skill is Steal, which is guaranteed to work on unequipped\non-rare items. The catch is that he can't steal and move on the same turn.

To start off turn 1, I have Ruby and Elbert spear charge the nearest brigand:

ber42_34ojjpp.png

Other units follow suit, as I set up a kill for Czene on turn 2:

ber42_35hwkxz.png

Strength and hp on the level-up, that's quite rare for Czene.

ber42_36e4kd3.png

One of the brigands retreats to use a vulnerary, followed by Ruby sticking another with the pointy end of her spear:

ber42_37f1j50.png

Ruffian: (Boss told me to go scout the area, but... those Imperial punks worry me. They better not think of takin' away our turf...)

After some more clashes, including Axel being hit by a poison arrow, Faye strikes down an archer.

ber42_3929kjt.png

Another brigand retreats to use a vulnerary. Arthur and Elbert give chase:

ber42_40n7jnn.png

Sylvis and Christine continue to fire arrows into the melee, while Ruby's weapon breaks on her next attack.

ber42_41k0kqn.png

She dodges a shield-breaking arrow, which is good because I'm low on small shields right now.

ber42_42cnk6m.png

Christine uses her longbow to good effect:

ber42_43ktj0p.png

Czene finishes off a brigand with the help of adept.

ber42_44heksg.png

I have Axel heal with a vulnerary, since he took a lot of poison damage.

ber42_45d6kv3.png

Sylvis does the same after taking a couple of hits. Elbert draws attention with a use of provoke.

On turn 5, the Imperial soldiers are still holding their position:

ber42_462pkfs.png

Imperial Officer: Very well. Continue the lookout.

Ruby switches to her sword and kills a brigand:

ber42_47l0k1g.png

Arthur accomplishes the same, and levels up.

ber42_48gdk0a.png

ber42_49rkklb.png

Faye's training is going well.

ber42_50t2jcl.png

Christine takes care of the last brigand on this side of the river:

ber42_516qjhc.png

The group advances towards the bridge and waits for Axel to swim across and lower it.

ber42_52ujk8p.png

Last edited:

Endemic

Arcane
Update 42: Chapter 4-2 - Children's Hero (part 3)

This thief next to Boltz could be a problem:

ber42_53utj3l.png

Reinforcements arrive at the end of the turn.

ber42_546kkra.png

Arthur and Ruby reposition to wall them off, while the ruffian attacks with his bow.

ber42_559ikut.png

Sylvis snipes one.

ber42_567nkdq.png

Her composite bow is nearly broken, so I switch her to the shortbow, lacking any better options. At this point I made a careless mistake and moved Faye into the range of an Imperial soldier, causing all of the Imperial units to attack:

ber42_57gkjor.png

Going back to the last save point, things mostly played out the same, although Elbert switched places with Arthur. Ruby killed the first reinforcement:

ber42_58sjjah.png

That takes her to level 5.

ber42_5904j5y.png

This time, Elbert kills the second brigand.

ber42_60wcjbt.png

No spear skill, but some nice primary stat increases:

ber42_610vkbc.png

Another pair of enemies arrive on the next turn.

ber42_62fhjef.png

Christine switches to her crossbow and mows down the thief.

ber42_63adkyk.png

Level-ups galore.

ber42_6426j1q.png

Attacks from Sylvis, Arthur and Ruby eliminate the brigand.

ber42_65z3kb6.png

Elbert uses provoke to distract the battle cry thief:

ber42_66lfjv0.png

He stumbles into Axel who is hidden in nearby trees, but as neither unit has a 1-range weapon, the thief's turn simply ends without any attacks. Crucially, he lost his stacked bonuses from battle cry in the process.

ber42_67hwkyx.png

Faye uses the cutlass to kill him:

ber42_687ej8j.png

She's also up to level 5 now.

ber42_69ujkc7.png

To avoid getting into range of the Imperial garrison, I have Elbert use provoke to lure the ruffian.

ber42_70hfj96.png

With some carefully controlled chip damage, Czene can move in to seal the deal:

ber42_7149jpb.png

Faye climbs onto the cliff first, and dodges a pair of drugged arrows fired at her.

ber42_72gbjhx.png

Since the archer ran out of that arrow type, he has nothing equipped to use his longbow with, leaving him defenceless.

ber42_73qzk1o.png

Elbert uses provoke again and dodges the inevitable attack. Two hits from Axel and Faye are more than enough to eliminate the last of Boltz's gang:

ber42_74q9kl7.png

Sylvis takes aim at Boltz.

ber42_75ngjzj.png

He uses up both of his vulneraries, prolonging his existence for a couple of turns. After failing to injure him at 1hp, I have Czene deliver the coup de grace.

ber42_76yhksh.png

She's now halfway to promotion:

ber42_774xjvd.png

Endemic

Arcane
Update 43: Chapter 4-2 - Children's Hero (part 4)

Thaddy enters the house and unlocks the room Lena was being held in.

ber42_782bj8j.png

Lena: Thaddy!

Thaddy: Thank goodness you're all right... Here, I'll get these chains off you. Let's get out of here together, Lena!

Lena: Thanks, Thaddy...

I could leave now:

ber42_79mzjwr.png

However, there is more I can do with Thaddy here. Using the clumps of trees for cover, he avoids detection by the Imperials and picks up a bag in the northeast:

ber42_807nkry.png

On the next turn, I have him provoke the Raze monk from cover (waiting until after the monk has taken his action).

ber42_81l6k4c.png

Since the monk has Nosferatu equipped and not his ranged magic, Thaddy's safe from harm. He steals the Wormwood orb:

ber42_82adjjh.png

Time to leave.

ber42_84vtjt6.png

Back in Navaron, Thaddy and Lena reunite with their friends.

ber42_852ajww.png

He gestures at Ward.

Thaddy: Everyone, show your appreciation to this guy here! If he hadn't helped me out back then, I don't know what could've happened.

Girl: Thanks a bunch, mister!

ber42_860rkhg.png

Lena: I'm really grateful to you, sir.

Ward: I'm just glad this young lady is safe. By the way, Thaddy, are you looking after all of these children?

Thaddy: Yeah, all these kids lost their parents to disease or the war. But we're all fine, and we're working to take care of one another. The little ones take care of food and washing clothes.

ber42_87p2jxw.png

Thaddy: We might look like kids, but we're more reliable than most adults, I'd say! No one's gonna come and save us, so we have to work to overcome our situation by ourselves. If we all help each other, we can make it through this together.

ber42_88z7jvh.png

Ward frowns, unable to think of a response.

Ward: .....

Thaddy: Don't give me that look. We don't want your pity. Take a look at everyone's faces. Look at all of their smiles... Happy moments like these... That's all that I really need.

Lena: Maybe if you weren't so reckless, we'd smile more often!

Thaddy: L-Lena!

His reply prompts a round of laughter from the other children.

Thaddy: I give up...

ber42_89rjj99.png

Thaddy: Come find me if you ever want to hire my services. I'll promise you a good deal!

Ward: I will communicate your offer to Lord Reese.

Thaddy: Thanks, mister.

With that happy reunion in the books, I head over to the guild to collect the bounty on Boltz:

ber42_90r4kpo.png

Erzheimer takes Wormwood in exchange for a tidy sum.

ber42_91arkdd.png

A new location has opened up on the map:

ber42_92udkbk.png

You can hire Thaddy here.

ber42_93l1joo.png

There is a bit of banter from the other children here, but I'll concentrate on Thaddy for now.

ber42_94jnk99.png

He costs 800 to hire for main missions, and 400 for side missions. He doesn't have a happiness requirement for permanent recruitment; instead, he joins you after being paid a total of 5000 denarii. Thaddy's fee scales with experience, just like the other mercenary units.

ber42_95e0kh0.png

His base stats are similar to Czene's, but he gains a bit more in strength and hitpoints vs speed over time. Knife skill is also higher to begin with. He's a thief-class unit just like Czene, but the title was changed to "Burglar" in the translation patch to clarify that he cannot promote.

ber42_9639kmo.png

Thaddy's skillset is a bit different as well, aside from the core thief skills. Provoke, combined with Evasion (once every 5 turns) can make him a decent dodgetank, although he has to remain stationary to use them. Steal is arguably Thaddy's main selling point, although it's limited to 3 times per map in addition to the restrictions shown above. The critical bonus won't amount to much unless you deploy him regularly.

To finish off this chapter, I leave some materials at the atelier; then hire Kramer and Derrick for the +0.5 to happiness. I pay 400 for Thaddy as well, just to split the cost - if I waited until Chapter 5 he'd cost 800, so the total will ultimately be the same. One thing which I've been making a habit of, and you should too, is moving your equipment back off of mercenaries at the end of a chapter.

A quick tip before I finish this update: if you hit the square button while the cursor is on a bag, you can rename it in addition to trading or throwing it away.

ber42_97txj70.png

Join me next time as the plot thickens in the fifth chapter of Berwick Saga. See you there :)

Last edited:

Fred

Learned
Thanks. I can't believe I had missed this game all this time.

Endemic

Arcane
Update 44: Chapter 5 - Hold the Fort (Introduction)

While I'm working on the rest of chapter 5, I figured I'd post a quick update.

ch5intro_14jja1.png

Ward: Indeed. The entire city is swarming like a nest of hornets after hearing the news from Duke Roswick. Bornia has long been friendly to Narvia, so I expect it's quite a shock.

Tianna: I can imagine. Narvia and Bornia have long been among the strongest in the League.

Reese: The warning signs were there, but still... Why would Duke Reed betray his kingdom and allies...?

Their discussion is interrupted by a messenger at the door.

ch5intro_265jil.png

Tianna: Coming!

She opens the door and receives the summons.

Tianna: Right... Yes... I understand. I will let him know.

ch5intro_32bjkt.png

Ward: Yes, sire.

Over at the throne room, Roswick has been giving the bad news to King Volcens:

ch5intro_4fqjui.png

Roswick: Yes, Your Majesty. I'm terribly sorry...

Volcens: What is your brat Vanmilion even doing with his two thousand men?! Has he simply abandoned the front line to these traitors?

Roswick: I have ordered him to fall back to Aryuza for the time being.

ch5intro_5ock41.png

Volcens: What purpose could you have for allowing them to come so close?

Roswick: There is a well-maintained fort in Aryuza, and a large river to slow the enemy's advance. It is an ideal location around which to form a line of defense. There, we shall halt their advance and begin our own counterattack.

ch5intro_654j0k.png

Roswick: In addition, seeing their king take up the chain of command directly would greatly bolster morale.

Volcens: Interesting... At the moment, I have ten thousand soldiers at my disposal... certainly a force to be reckoned with!

ch5intro_703js9.png

Volcens: Yes, Herman? What is it?

Herman: Firstly, our scouts say that Bornia's army numbers just under 5,000. Why could our forces not simply eradicate them at the border? Why, Duke Roswick, would you risk His Majesty's safety in allowing them to advance so close?

Roswick: Bornia and Narvia have been close allies for centuries. As such, there has been very little historical need to construct forts or defensive walls along our border. To fight on the open plains that lie along the border would surely end in a massive slaughter for both sides. This is the surest way to prevent undue loss of life as we continue to struggle against the Raze Empire.

Herman: As you have said yourself, Narvia has been closely allied to Bornia for many years... Indeed, this is the cause of my other concern, Duke Roswick.

ch5intro_8ljkqq.png

Herman: Not only him, but also the thousands of troops who report directly to him. Why, if a certain someone were to bar the gates as soon as he left... His Majesty's army would left without any place to retreat!

ch5intro_8_1lwjuk.png

Herman: And with thousands of Narvian and Bornian troops so close... Well, I assume you can see why I am so very concerned about this.

A brief silence falls over the room.

Volcens: .....

ch5intro_9g6ksh.png

Roswick: I will not allow this continued slander against my character here in my own home!

Herman: Slander? Perish the thought! I'm simply stating what is in the realm of possibility. As recent events have shown us, it is impossible to know the intent of even the most loyal of allies. My first and only concern is that His Majesty's safety is assured.

Roswick: ...Regardless of the actions taken, the town of Aryuza cannot be held with just Vanmilion's current forces. At the very minimum, withstanding the enemy siege will take two or three thousand more troops... If we do not act quickly, the citizens of Aryuza will surely be slaughtered!

Volcens: It cannot be helped. For the Berwick League's sake, I cannot put my life at such risk...

ch5intro_10m9k1r.png

Volcens: ...Well, I suppose you could send that uncivilized lordling of yours to do as you wish. I do not mind.

Roswick: "Uncivilized lordling"...? Do you mean Lord Reese of Sinon, Your Majesty?

Volcens: Who else would I mean?

Roswick: Right... I understand. I shall give the order, Your Majesty.

A short while later, Reese meets Roswick in the castle's briefing room:

ch5intro_11bikzb.png

Roswick: Please ride out to Aryuza and help Vanmilion in any way you can.

Reese: With pleasure, Your Grace. I will go to his aid.

Roswick: You have my thanks. I shall advise as needed. Allow me to bring you up to speed on the current state of the war.

He points to the map.

ch5intro_12b7jp7.png

Roswick: and from there, he has nearly completed his invasion of the Lowland Duchy as well.

ch5intro_13dzjgf.png

Roswick: That is, His Majesty will not allow me to send reinforcements to Hariheart.

Reese: .....

ch5intro_14rejg4.png

Roswick: Thanks to his cunning tactics, he has proven to be more than a match for Imperial General Goddrom's 30,000 troops. After liberating most of southern Serenia, he now advances toward the Serenian capital, Zaltshaim.

ch5intro_1559kkk.png

Roswick: It is inspiring that such an esteemed hero continues to serve so valiantly... Your father is a great man.

Reese: Thank you, Your Grace.

Roswick: Here on the new Southern Front, we now turn our eyes to Bornia.

ch5intro_16ankrg.png

Roswick: For the moment, he has advanced past the border to the town of Aryuza, where my son Vanmilion is fortified.

ch5intro_17trk2n.png

Roswick: Vanmilion will not be able to hold the fort at Aryuza for long.

Reese: Of course, Your Grace. Do not think less of your son for being caught in such an unfortunate circumstance. Bornia's army is renowned for its strength, and they vastly outnumber Vanmilion's soldiers.

ch5intro_19i7jqz.png

Roswick: Rather, it is how their leader makes use of such strength that is important. You and Vanmilion would do well to heed these words carefully.

Reese: I understand, Your Grace... excuse me, I spoke out of line.

Roswick: No, I did not intend to scold you. I am so accustomed to admonishing and advising Vanmilion... My son is... unresourceful when it comes to commanding an army, you see.

Reese: Not so, Your Grace! Lord Vanmilion is...

Roswick: No, I should not have said that...

ch5intro_21o0kwy.png

So, Volcens and Herman are still self-interested pricks, and the Berwick League is (mostly) losing the war. We're outnumbered at least 3:1 in the upcoming Battle of Aryuza... join me next week for the denouement ;)

Last edited:

Endemic

Arcane
Update 45: Chapter 5 - Hold the Fort (Letter, Citizen requests)

Returning to the office, Tianna has some news:

berch5_intro2_1i7k4h.png

Tianna: I have left them on the desk in your room for you.

berch5_intro2_2fajf6.png

berch5_intro2_3xtkyo.png

berch5_intro2_4ozkne.png

berch5_intro2_56bjbu.png

berch5_intro2_6zsk17.png

No money this time, which is why I wasn't spending all the available denarii last chapter. The previous letter from Lynette did actually outright tell Reese (ie the player) to spend prudently, which is natural for hoarders like me. ;) For the most part, story-gameplay integration is done very well in Berwick Saga.

All that said, Gram is a pretty nice sword:

berch5_intro2_7zkjie.png

It's good enough to last Reese through to the end of the campaign, in fact, and definitely worth using repairstone on. The +1 strike means Reese can now retaliate in melee when hit, as additive weapons can initiate another round of combat. It's a mythology reference as well: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gram_(mythology)

One thing you need to watch out for: if Reese takes a hit that would be lethal with Gram equipped, the sword will break to save him (exactly how the Miracle Charm accessory works). If it isn't low on durability at the time, that would be unfortunate :P As with other rare\personal weapons, Gram stays in inventory as a broken item until repaired.

There are 4 citizen requests for this mission.

berch5_intro2_8xxjx3.png

I'll start with the mercenary guild:

berch5_intro2_9vvkdj.png

Valery: What are we going to do...?

Soldier: My men are also on the lookout for him, but with Aryuza being as it is right now...

Valery: Yeah, you've got a point there...

Soldier: I'm going to get back to it. I'll keep you informed of any new developments.

Valery: Right. Good luck to you.

On his way out, the soldier almost runs into Tianna:

berch5_intro2_10l1j2e.png

Soldier: Excuse me...

He leaves, and Tianna turns to the desk to greet Valery.

Tianna: Good afternoon, Valery.

Valery: Hello, Lady Tianna...

Tianna: Is something the matter? You seem restless.

Valery: Have you heard about that man named Munver?

Tianna: Munver... That thief who has been targeting aristocrats and wealthy merchants recently, yes?

Valery: Right. Rich folks from all across the city came here to put a price on his head. We finally caught him, too... or rather we thought we had.

Tianna: You "thought" you had captured him?

Valery: He escaped when he was being transported back here to Navaron, so we gave chase...but he wriggled his way into one place we wouldn't dare follow him.

Tianna: Where in the world would that be?

Valery: Anywhere near Aryuza.

Tianna: Aryuza? Is that not where the Bornian invasion is advancing to?

Valery: Yeah, we assume he's going to try to slip into Bornia during all the chaos of the battle. If he gets past the border, there's nothing more we'll be able to do. If Mr. Routh found out about this, he'd probably shout at all of us here at the guild for hours... Again...

Tianna: .....

Valery: Nothing we can do about it, though. Probably just a lost cause...

Tianna: You said that Munver has fled to a place near Aryuza, is that correct?

Valery: That's right.

Tianna: The Sinon Knights are going to Aryuza on the morrow.

Valery: They are?!

Tianna: They may yet be able to encounter Munver and recapture him.

Valery: O-Of course!

The next request is from Sister Maria at the abbey:

berch5_intro2_11w9j2a.png

She paces up and down, with a concerned expression, drawing the attention of Izerna.

berch5_intro2_12l2kbt.png

Izerna: Is there something worrying you? Perhaps I could help.

Maria: W-Well, I...

Izerna: I don't mean to pry. If you would rather not say, then...

Maria: ...There's someone very dear to me in the town of Aryuza.

Izerna: I see...

Maria: He is serving under Lord Vanmilion to reinforce the town's fortress. It won't be long before the Bornian troops reach the fortress...I'm so worried about him, but I have no way of contacting him...

berch5_intro2_13aaj6i.png

That's nice.

Izerna: No wonder you're so worried!

Maria: Every time he goes out to battle, he returns so weary and distraught... I don't want that for him, but...

Izerna: Maria...

Maria: I just don't know what to do...

Izerna: I think I can help you, Maria. Lord Reese is headed to Aryuza to provide relief to Lord Vanmilion. If I request it, I believe he will agree to bring me along.

Maria: Really...?

Izerna: I understand the concern you must be feeling for this man. If you have any words you want to say to him, I will tell him for you.

Maria: You will? I don't want to burden you...

Izerna: Don't worry about that. I promise you, I'll do everything in my power to get your message to him. The only difficult part will be to find him among the soldiers.

Maria: Thank you, Izerna. I will write a letter for him. If you do find him, please give it to him.

Izerna: Of course.

Maria: This flower is for him as well. It's from our hometown. He'll know what it means. His name is Erec. He'll likely be on the front lines, so please be careful. Thank you ever so much for doing this for me, Izerna.

Conveniently I was planning to bring Izerna for the mission anyway, since she got the Expert skill at level 6 and can use higher-ranked orbs now. Moving on, Christine overhears a conversation at Alex's tavern:

berch5_intro2_14t3jxr.png

Narvian knight: Asking me to help the enemy... Are you mad, old man?!

Markos: Please, if you would only listen! He's my son!

Narvian knight: All Bornians are now the enemy. Let him die like the traitor he is!

The knight leaves, and Markos ponders his dilemma.

Markos: (...Arnold...)

berch5_intro2_15ktjxw.png

Christine: Are you all right?

Markos: A-Another knight...? Forgive me for making a scene...

Christine: That was quite a quarrel you had with that man. What happened?

Markos: .....

Christine: I'm Christine, a knight of Sinon. Please, tell me what happened. Perhaps I can help you.

Markos: I am Markos. ...I'm a refugee from Bornia. As you no doubt know, Bornia has chosen to join forces with the Raze Empire.

berch5_intro2_166jk5b.png

...Well, this is interesting. Not exactly as straightforward as Herman and Volcens would have us believe.

Markos: Duke Reed fully trusts him, and yet... No one could've fathomed this happening before he took office...

Christine: Our people trusted in Duke Reed very sincerely, as well. This betrayal has upset many lives both in and out of Bornia.

Markos: I love my homeland, and to tell the truth, I did not want to leave...but I am a merchant by trade, and I have long been a major supplier to the Berwick League's forces. A man like me would certainly be unwelcome in Imperial lands.

Christine: So that is why you fled to Narvia?

Markos: Yes... but my son Arnold and I had a terrible row just before I left...He told me that it was the merchant business that got me into this mess, and that he wanted no part of it. He refused to listen to me, and he stayed behind in Bornia. And now, I've just heard news that he's been conscripted...

berch5_intro2_17c2jju.png

This is quite a common theme in Berwick Saga - Ward, Bluck, Markos, Savat etc. I can't help but wonder if Mr. Kaga was trying to impress a specific point on the player, with these subplots involving single fathers struggling in their roles for one reason or another. They could certainly use more appreciation and support, and less suspicion in real life. Anyway, enough interruptions from me.

Markos: Arnold doesn't have it in him to kill another human being... He's simply too weak-hearted. If they send him out to battle, he'll be killed for sure... Wherever he is, I'm sure his hands are trembling right about now...

Christine: Mr. Markos...

Markos: I've asked many knights of Narvia to try and find my son, and bring him home to me...Everyone's answer is the same. I know it's simply the reasonable thing for them to do... Why should they endanger themselves for the sake of an enemy soldier?

Christine: Then that's what you were talking about with that man from before...

Markos: I know it's a foolish thing to do... but I'm his father, damn it all!

berch5_intro2_18v4ke5.png

Markos: .....

Christine: Mr. Markos, if I find your son on the battlefield, I will tell him what you have told me.

Markos: Dame Christine...!

Christine: I have no idea if I will be able to find him...and even if I do find him, I can't be sure he will listen to me...but still, I will try.

Markos: ...It is his choice to make. If he will not listen, even after hearing my plea... I will accept it.

Christine: I understand. I will do all that I can.

Markos: Bless you, Dame Christine... Bless you!

We've seen the overall numbers and statistics of the war from Roswick, and now we see the human and personal side in these citizen requests. They also do a good job of developing the secondary characters. The final citizen request for this chapter involves the proprietor of the Kingfisher:

berch5_intro2_19qpjkm.png

Marybelle: Is it true that Aryuza is going to become a battlefield?!

Ward: ...Yes, it's true. We of the Sinon Knights will be headed there shortly ourselves.

Marybelle: You'll be in the area?

Ward: Yes...

Marybelle: My father is still there in the town, acting like nothing's happening...

Ward: What?! What possessed him to do that?

berch5_intro2_20zejw1.png

Ward: I have no idea what kind of damage the town might take when forces such as ours collide...

Marybelle: My father has always hated the military occupying the fort...and he's just so stubborn that he refuses to budge an inch!

Ward: If possible, it would be best to do something before the battle begins...

Marybelle: Sir Ward, if there's any way you can find my father and convince him to come here to Navaron...

Ward: I understand. I do not know if I will pass through the city on the way to the fort, but...if I find your father, I will try to persuade him for you.

Marybelle: Thank you, Sir Ward!

Ward: What is your father's name?

Marybelle: It's Gasch. He's an odd fellow, but he's still my dear old dad. Please, save him...

Ward: I will offer no promises. So much is still uncertain...

berch5_intro2_21lxj13.png

Marybelle: ...But I believe in you, Sir Ward.

Last edited:

Endemic

Arcane
Update 46: Chapter 5 - Hold the Fort (Battle preparations)

The citizen requests can of course be checked in the menu at any time.

berch5_prep0e2kbt.png

Before I start hiring mercenaries, I'll review the new equipment for this chapter:

berch5_prep1m7k3p.png

If you didn't capture an Estoc previously (eg from Seamus), this is your first chance to acquire one. As with the Rapier, in real life it was an anti-armour weapon: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estoc

Initially it looks like a weaker but more accurate/durable Rapier, but in the hands of a prepromote like Sherpa or Clifford, you can wipe out generic spearmen etc in one attack. The level 10 requirement to get the extra strike means it won't be particularly useful for training. Still, 80% to hit is not something that most weapons have in Berwick Saga.

berch5_prep27tjfc.png

The Knight Sword, if you recall, is one of Ward's starting weapons. It gives up some accuracy and attack for the +1 strike, but this does allow countering in melee more often. Sherpa can probably get some mileage out of it with his high sword skill + Counter.

berch5_prep3dykfn.png

Not the most descriptive name, but the Metal Shield is the most durable small shield you can buy. However, the 40% block rate makes it less efficient than another type that's become available:

berch5_prep5afjpe.png

The Prototype Shield becomes available if you completed the Imperial Old Shield citizen request in chapter 4. You can get up to 3 of these, depending on how many old shields you handed to Danton. They're very good for training shield skill with the 50% block rate, and they won't weigh down your weaker units too much.

berch5_prep4fnksj.png

Knight Shields are essentially a slight variant of the square shield, with +2 defence but lower durability and higher weight. I guess they're worth buying later if you run out of better\more cost-effective shields.

Moving on to axes:

berch5_prep6g3jw5.png

Hatchets are a nice step up in attack power and accuracy, although I don't currently have anyone that meets the level requirement for the crit chance. If you've invested heavily in (for example) Dean they'll be better for you at this point.

berch5_prep7aijsc.png

Verutums are another type of Roman throwing spear: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verutum

Unlike the pilum, you can stack 20 of them, making them helpful for training spear skill. Keep in mind that if the unit using them doesn't have the Throw skill (which automatically reverts equipment), they'll be vulnerable to 0 range attacks after using a verutum or other 1-range throwing weapon.

berch5_prep82zks5.png

The Wind Spear is a deadly weapon in the hands of Clifford, because his high skill offsets the lower base accuracy. Most enemies have little or no resistance to the +8 wind damage, so he can get a lot of one-hit kills when considering the usual charge bonus. You could also give it to Ward, but his stats are worse. This would make sense in a ranked run where every denarii counts, as hiring Clifford becomes a luxury that you may not be able to afford.

berch5_prep9i6k2b.png

Apollyon is a nice bow to have, since the extra accuracy more than offsets the slight damage reduction from the composite bow. Considering the durability loss from wasted shots does add up over time, the extra cost is worth it. If your other bow users aren't near level 10 yet, Sylvis can still make good use of it.

Incidentally, the name Apollyon (Greek for "destroyer") is yet another mythology reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abaddon

berch5_prep10rhk20.png

The Heavy Crossbow gives high single-shot damage, and fortunately both crossbow users have the Aim skill to offset the weapon's inherent inaccuracy (Christine can still canto away afterwards when on horseback). If you're short on money, the Apollyon is a better strategic choice for supplementing your ranged arsenal.

berch5_prep11idjos.png

Bodkin arrows, like other armour piercing weapons in the game, ignore shields. They're quite rare and expensive, so you probably want to reserve them for attacking enemies with magic-enhanced shields (such as the Black Shield encountered later in the game).

Over at the Veria Temple, there is new magic available:

berch5_prep12u4ksr.png

Physic is the mainstay ranged healing method, even more important in Berwick Saga given the lowered movement of clerics\bishops. It's the same effectiveness as Heal, and thus lower than the Mend orb, which you should switch to for healing adjacent allies. You do pay a significant premium for Physic and its availability is limited.

berch5_prep1312jul.png

Windstorm is essentially a triple-hit version of Airblade, and can come in handy for close range self-defense for Aegina (as Pallas Riana cannot counter at 0 range).

berch5_prep14mxj8f.png

The Escapestone allows the holder to teleport out of the map instantly. This helps infantry with completing certain tactics objectives (such as killing enemy generals late in escape maps), or just staying behind to cover the retreat longer. Clerics will gain access to an orb that duplicates this function, but they can't use it on themselves, so an escapestone can still benefit them in specific scenarios.

berch5_prep14_2qqj9i.png

berch5_prep33jbkj7.png

You'll notice Sylvis is not present in the mercenary guild. That's because Vanmilion already hired her to help defend the fort at Aryuza.

Given the numbers disadvantage, I'll be going all out on the heavy-hitting mercs here. Sherpa (2200), Arthur (1000), Dean (1270), Volo (2300), and Clifford (2800). I also give Jung 1350 to get access to Larentia. Elbert, Christine, Ward, Czene and Izerna fill out the roster.

After that, I still have 42441 denarii to spend, so time to see what bonuses are available at the Kingfisher.

berch5_prep15y1kdt.png

Roast Beef is clearly the standout option, because it can give the Counter skill and a significant boost to strength\hp. Chicken Stew boosts experience gained by 30% or 50%. I give the latter to Reese, Elbert and Christine. Ward, Sherpa, Arthur and Volo get the full benefit from the roast beef, while Larentia and Dean don't get counter from it.

berch5_prep160wkwa.png

berch5_prep17yrjb9.png

Very nice.

berch5_prep186cjwx.png

Sherpa was already very strong, but now he's obscenely good. With an Estoc he's guaranteed to one-shot most generic enemies.

berch5_prep192bkbn.png

Volo is assured two hits during each round of Deathmatch, regardless of relative attack speed to the enemy.

Moving on, it's time to pick up some new equipment:

Sherpa - Estoc. As mentioned, he can one-shot generic enemies with it
Volo - Rapier. For deathmatching the enemy commander
Ward - Square Shield. I would give him a Kiteshield, but they're out of stock
Reese - Prototype Shield. He needs to block as often as possible to raise shield skill
Clifford - Wind Spear. With his high base strength and a bit of distance to charge, this puts out impressive damage
Larentia - Pilums. She has the throw skill, and flight lets her attack melee enemies with impunity
Dean - Hatchet. It's much better than the francisca. The penalty for being underleveled is 10% right now, so not too bad
Christine - Longbow + Iron Crossbow. Her existing ones are close to breaking, and since Sylvis is unavailable, the longbow gives me a 2-range option
Izerna - Mend + Physic. Shes running low on uses for her mend orb, and physic keeps her at a safe distance from the fighting

I also bought and distributed a few vulneraries, just in case. I'm down about 40k after all that - Berwick gives you a fair amount of money, but also plenty to spend it on.

Since Ward's horse is almost dead, I assign him a new one from my collection in the stables:

berch5_prep20twj1e.png

The two bags in the vault are handed to units that don't already have one. With that, we're ready to depart.

berch5_prep2126j4o.png

berch5_prep22afjib.png

berch5_prep23e5jdb.png

berch5_prep24q2kmu.png

berch5_prep25zokdq.png

berch5_prep26u6jky.png

berch5_prep271mksg.png

berch5_prep28t2kma.png

berch5_prep2961j15.png

berch5_prep30srk23.png

berch5_prep3122ko5.png

berch5_prep32iijlt.png

Endemic

Arcane
Update 47: Chapter 5 - Hold the Fort (part 1)

Arriving at Aryuza, the deployment zone is in the northwest of the map, with Reese, Sylvis and Vanmilion inside the fort. The civilians are represented by several green NPCs:

berch5_part1v4kaa.png

Vanmilion's troops are a separate faction from the civilians. The enemy forces have already reached the river, and crossed it in a few places.

berch5_part2brjgl.png

berch5_part3stklg.png

berch5_part4fjjgf.png

Vanmillion laughs at Reese's stats:

berch5_part8_2aljrx.png

berch5_part8_356j0c.png

His commander skill does stack with Reese's commander bonus, although that won't likely come into play here.

Lets take a closer look at the guy with the tower shield on the northeastern crossing:

berch5_part5t0kdq.png

berch5_part6s3k1a.png

Must be important in some way given his unique name and portrait. The objectives screen will likely have something about that.

Gasch is near our starting position:

berch5_part8_4vujiy.png

You might wonder why he's got treasure in his inventory. It's obtainable if you let an enemy soldier kill him, then take out said enemy. I guess if you prefer money to completing the citizen request, you could do that :P

Turns out that the spearman next to the trees at the bridge is Erec:

berch5_part7rwjdx.png

berch5_part8qpjsv.png

While he does have a vulnerary and miracle, he'll be overrun quickly without support. Some of the enemy units have notable skills, such as this knight.

berch5_part93bkc2.png

The southern ballista drops a winch, which is needed for crafting crossbows:

berch5_part10c3k77.png

The armour knight next to the enemy general has battle cry:

berch5_part10_2wyk2g.png

berch5_part10_3sdkxu.png

Fitting for a guy named Goebbels, I suppose.

General Lyarc himself is no pushover:

berch5_part10_4z2kvt.png

I'm planning to use Volo to deathmatch him with a Rapier to bypass the shield, which will take a few rounds of combat to accomplish. Assuming Lyarc doesn't kill him with a crit, that is.

I reposition units, with infantry and Izerna at the front, and start the mission.

berch5_part11drj60.png

Vanmilion: The fort remains secure, but Bornian troops will soon flood the town below with overwhelming force. The soldiers on our shattered front line have taken heavy losses. I must join the battle myself.

Reese: That will not do, Lord Vanmilion. If you leave this fortress, how can you issue commands to all of your troops? Please remain here, so that you may stay informed regarding the entirety of the battlefield.

Vanmilion: But if I do nothing, the enemy will storm the town, and many citizens will be killed! I cannot stand idly by while such a tragedy unfolds in front of me!

Reese: Entrust the town to me and the knights of Sinon, Lord Vanmilion. Simply say the word, and we will sortie to defend the citizens.

Vanmilion: I am grateful for the offer, but the enemy's army is too numerous! I do not doubt your abilities, but I think your soldiers will be insufficient...

Reese: We have steeled ourselves for the battle ahead. I do not deny it will be difficult, but time is of the essence here.

berch5_part12laj3c.png

Sylvis: Our hands are already full just defending this fort. We've no choice but to leave the town to the Sinon Knights!

Vanmilion: I suppose it is inevitable... Very well. Lord Reese, you are hereby ordered to lead your knights in defense of the castle town! Hold off the enemy as best you can!

Reese: Yes, Lord Vanmilion! I shall defend it with my life!

Meanwhile, other conversations are happening elsewhere on the battlefield:

berch5_part13dgjte.png

Marcel: Are we not here to protect the citizens from the invasion?

Bowen: Don't be a fool! The king commanded us to leave the town and fall back to the fort!

Marcel: ...but Sir...!

Bowen: That's an order, Marcel! Retreat to the fort now!

Marcel: I will not! I will stay here and fulfill my duty!

Bowen: Are you disobeying a direct order from your superior, soldier?!

Marcel: I cannot obey such orders, sir.

Bowen: That's treason, Marcel! Even if you survive, you'll be court-martialed and executed! Do as you must.

berch5_part14nqjzi.png

Hmm, we'll have to reach him quickly as well. Over at the Bornian side of the front line, we have a revelation:

berch5_part15svjfg.png

berch5_part16aijw1.png

Lyarc: The enemy forces are scattered, and they are certain to retreat inside the fortress any minute now. Even with the fortress's protection, they will be no match for my men. Victory is close at hand.

Almachus: I see... The ailing Duke Reed back home is looking forward to your success. As reward for your victory, he is prepared to grant you all of Aryuza. Do not betray his expectations.

Lyarc: Even if it costs me my life, I will see to it that Aryuza falls. Please inform His Grace, Duke Reed, as much.

Almachus: Very well, I will return to Menas. Do not squander this chance, Lyarc!

Lyarc: I will not fail, Governor-General.

Almachus disappears, and Lyarc comments to his aide:

berch5_part17lnjie.png

Lyarc: Honestly, making that man governor-general over the entire Duchy... How could His Grace be so easily fooled by a man like that? Something strange is afoot. I must play my cards carefully...

Bornian soldier: General, the enemy's front line has begun to withdraw!

Lyarc: Order the right flank to advance. Burn the town to the ground. Leave none alive. Order the left flank to pursue the defenders and besiege the fortress. Bring me Vanmilion's head!

Bornian soldier: Yes, General!

Back in the town, a thief is trying to find a house to hide in:

berch5_part180sjtv.png

Munver: (Can't be helped, I guess. I'll stay hidden for a little bit longer...)

berch5_part19t9jcd.png

Seems we can indeed recruit Marcel. While in theory you could just hunker down and defend the river for 15 turns, I'm looking to get extra tactics points. To get the maximum 3 points, you need to kill or capture Lyarc within 10 turns. Given that Reese and company start out of position, and also need to spend turns to talk to NPCs, it can get tricky.

I'll be back with the next part soon, thanks for reading :)

Last edited:

Endemic

Arcane
Update 48: Chapter 5 - Hold the Fort (part 2)

I have Reese head out in Marcel's direction as my first move:

berch5_part1rukzd.png

The Bornian troops trade blows with what's left of Vanmilion's force, but no soldiers are felled.

berch5_part2oij3w.png

The rest of my group starts advancing to the front line, as Czene goes shopping.

berch5_part3h3krx.png

Most of these braces only give +1 to a stat, however there are a couple worth purchasing:

berch5_part4dhjo6.png

Extra magic will be very helpful for boosting Aegina's damage output with Pallas Riana.

berch5_part6ydjww.png

More strength will be nice on Sherpa or Dean, and they can spare a couple points in speed. I spend 6912 for the blessed + giant's braces.

Elsewhere, the Bornian spearmen in the centre begin attacking:

berch5_part7onjdc.png

The southern gate is damaged.

berch5_part841kwv.png

Ward is now in range of the nearest enemy, so I send him forward to attack. He lands two hits with the knight sword, getting a kill.

berch5_part9rdkbv.png

Everyone else should be in range to attack next turn:

berch5_part10wpjr4.png

The enemy cavalry are holding position, while the bowmen and crossbowmen have gathered at the central bridge.

berch5_part11i1jtc.png

On turn 2, Arthur engages a spearman at the cliff, breaking his longsword in the process.

berch5_part12wsjve.png

Clifford moves into the gap left by the retreating friendly troops, and demonstrates the power of the wind spear:

berch5_part13mjkun.png

Marcel is holding out for now thanks to his shield, but it won't last forever.

berch5_part14ezjpl.png

Ward blocks an arrow.

berch5_part15jgkxi.png

Reese meets up with Marcel, who has just driven off a trio of spearmen:

berch5_part16vukob.png

berch5_part17b6jhq.png

Marcel: Defending the town is my duty. I'm afraid I cannot obey such orders, Lord Reese.

Reese: I did not mean it as a strict order, but to continue fighting in your state would only hurry you to your death.

Marcel: .....

Reese: Would you tell me your name?

Marcel: I am Marcel, a knight of Veria. I currently serve Lord Vanmilion in the army of Narvia.

Reese: Marcel... Will you help me to protect the town of Aryuza? I am in need of your strength.

Marcel: I beg your pardon?

Reese: You would be an asset to us. My knights are skilled at maneuvering, but do not have heavy armour. I would like to attack the enemy's forward flank when I get the chance, but I cannot do so unless I know the town will remain safe in my absence. If I know you will be assisting in their protection, I will be reassured of the citizens' safety.

berch5_part18pdjvz.png

Reese: Thank you, Marcel.

Now he's under player control. Meanwhile, the gate has been breached:

berch5_part19xijf2.png

Time to take care of Maria's request.

berch5_part206tka8.png

Erec: Yes, that's me. Who are you?

Izerna: My name is Sister Izerna. Sister Maria asked me to give you this letter and flower.

Erec: That sweet girl... Even sending this flower... How is Maria faring these days?

Izerna: She is well, but also very worried for your sake.

Erec pauses for a short while before responding.

Erec: ...Please tell Maria something for me. Tell her I promise I'll come home.

Izerna: I understand. I will tell her.

Erec: Oh, one more thing, if you could... Please give this flower to her.

Izerna: Ah, this flower...

She looks at it closely, wondering if the choice of species has a particular meaning.

Erec: .....

Izerna: Of course... I will bring it to her.

An axeman tries to get through the broken gate, but Sylvis interrupts him, having been on overwatch from turn 1. She follows it up with another shot, finding her mark again and eliminating the target:

berch5_part22pjjom.png

Elbert charges forward to deal with a spearman that bypassed Marcel.

berch5_part23o9krl.png

Czene notices something of interest and searches a house.

berch5_part25qfkr0.png

The thief dropped a crafting material:

berch5_part26v5j45.png

I have Dean use desperation to take out a spearman, but the latter is disarmed, which prevents the follow-up attack (desperation only works on enemies that can counter).

Larentia throws a pilum to finish the job.

berch5_part28crkvl.png

Thanks to her Watchful skill, she spots Munver, who is unarmed and thus vulnerable to capture:

berch5_part29zkk2z.png

Arrow fire is exchanged all across the front line, though to little effect. Sherpa moves to the river crossing, taking care of another spearman.

berch5_part30srk39.png

Ward cuts down another:

berch5_part31utjhb.png

The bottleneck prevents the Bornians from making full use of their numbers advantage. Volo uses deathmatch to attack a crossbowman, finishing him in style.

berch5_part32ocjw7.png

He drops his weapon, a Gastraphetes which is still in good condition.

At the start of turn 3, the player is alerted to enemy reinforcements:

berch5_part33nvj54.png

Bornian soldier: They sent a scout ahead just now, saying that they will be arriving very soon, General.

Lyarc: We need every soldier we can muster! Bornia cannot afford to lose this battle!

Endemic

Arcane
Oh, almost forgot the music.

While I'm on that subject, here's an interview with the composer of Berwick's OST, detailing his career: http://www.game-ost.com/articles.php?id=161&action=view

Satoh also provided music for Vestaria Saga, including the recently released Gaiden chapters.

On a side note, Schwarzschild looks cool for a PC-98 4x strategy. I'm tempted to try it out myself :P

Last edited:

Endemic

Arcane
Update 49: Chapter 5 - Hold the Fort (part 3)

Resuming from where I left off, to start turn 3, I have Czene capture Munver before he can make a run for it:

berch5_part31p8k8a.png

Ward avoids a crossbow shot, while Marcel successfully counterattacks a spearman.

berch5_part31_2t2kgd.png

One of the Bornians manages to get a hit in, so for my next move I have Reese switch to his broadsword and cut down said enemy.

berch5_part32n5j77.png

The last spearman at the river crossing hits Reese for 10 damage, so I'll probably have to heal him before moving him next turn. Over at the fort, Arthur assists Vanmilion's defenders to hold off the axemen:

berch5_part33j4kw7.png

Archers in the centre all fire on Ward, but miss their target. Clifford responds by wiping one of them out.

berch5_part34xykor.png

That wind spear was worth the investment. :)

An axe soldier exploits the open gate:

berch5_part354tkmg.png

More fighting continues around the gate, including an axeman knocking Arthur's shield out of his hand.

berch5_part36kcj9a.png

Ward strikes a bowman but doesn't do enough damage to kill. He rotates out of his position to allow for Elbert to charge a crossbowman:

berch5_part37z3jm9.png

Larentia connects with her Euthyphro, felling the last Bornian spearman at the river.

berch5_part38qajy7.png

Sylvis injures the axe soldier at the fort's periphery.

berch5_part39mhjv3.png

Bornian cavalry begins to advance, as Christine uses her longbow to pick off a crossbowman:

berch5_part43jtk58.png

Larentia is hit by a pilum, but blocks most of the damage with her shield. Since the fort is still under threat, Volo is dispatched to thin out the attackers.

berch5_part44u9kim.png

Situation at the bridge. Clifford and co will be busy for a while.

berch5_part45i2kn2.png

I have Izerna head over to the northern crossing, so she'll be in range to heal Reese next turn. An archer moves up to the river to attack Larentia, but misses. Dean switches to his stock of franciscas, so he can get two hits on the archer with desperation:

berch5_part469nk20.png

Sherpa advances to remove the light cavalry near Larentia with his Estoc.

berch5_part47ftjbh.png

I miss out on a kiteshield as the fort's defenders get a kill:

berch5_part48ixkbj.png

Marcel is tasked to guard Dean. Immediately after the order is given, an enemy knight attacks.

berch5_part492vjlq.png

On turn 4, a group of Bornian spearmen join the battle, including Arnold.

berch5_part50lfk3o.png

Arnold: Father... I should have listened...!

The raze monk accompanying them has darkmend and a crafting material:

berch5_part51nlj2z.png

Ward moves over to the cliffs to attack a spearman that crossed them, but the latter evades. Marcel successfully blocks a spear hit with his shield, and counters.

berch5_part52tcjg5.png

Volo occupies the entrance of the fort and crits an axeman.

berch5_part539sjya.png

Marcel is drawing a lot of enemy attention:

berch5_part543gkcc.png

Elbert is hit by one of the light cavalry units in the centre. A Bornian axeman falls victim to an arrow fired over the fort's walls.

berch5_part55pwjn4.png

Izerna levels up from using a mend orb to heal Reese.

berch5_part567vjz5.png

At this rate, she'll be on track for promotion during Chapter 6.

Last edited:

Endemic

Arcane
Update 50: Chapter 5 - Hold the Fort (part 4)

Marcel continues to hold his ground against fierce enemy opposition:

berch5_part7055j15.png

Clifford evades a spear attack and counters, nearly killing his assailant. Arthur engages a crossbowman, inflicting some damage.

berch5_part71xmjam.png

He then successfully avoids an axe soldier and counterattacks, although the latter's shield mitigates much of the damage. Elbert tries to finish off an archer whose bow broke on the last turn, but fails to connect.

berch5_part7209jfx.png

Clifford shows him how it's done:

berch5_part73wnj1z.png

Reese eliminates the ballista threat near his position, gaining a level as a result.

berch5_part74yokpc.png

berch5_part75c4jyu.png

Larentia chases down a fleeing, unarmed bowman, showing him no mercy.

berch5_part76j3kev.png

berch5_part775bjab.png

He drops his remaining bronze arrows, which will come in handy. Nearby, Dean dodges a knight and counters, falling just short of the kill.

berch5_part784bj0h.png

Arthur takes a crossbow hit, while Christine injures a spear cavalry unit with her longbow:

berch5_part79iwkln.png

The Bornian reinforcements advance, as Sherpa eliminates another spearman.

berch5_part804jjlz.png

Marcel is tasked to guard Dean again.

berch5_part81oyksm.png

Reese and Larentia are attacked by cavalry, with the latter being struck by a pilum.

berch5_part82ybjef.png

To end the turn, a raze monk heals a light cavalry unit, making good use of darkmend's 5 range:

berch5_part83ljjjj.png

That takes us up to the turn 5 save point. Aside from Volo being out of position, the mission is going well so far. Spending all those denarii helped make my strategy reliable. However, I can't afford to do that every chapter, given the long-term expenses of crafting and lack of late-game income.

For my first move, I have Larentia attack the injured light cavalry next to Elbert, successfully crippling him. Canto allows her to move back to Reese's position.

berch5_part843ok4e.png

Bornian knights throw pilums at her again, one of them striking his target.

berch5_part85dmjxy.png

Hmm, this one has a vulnerary that drops.

berch5_part86y1jrd.png

I should kill him to grab it now:

berch5_part87hfj1y.png

Over by the bridge, Elbert successfully counterattacks another light cavalry unit. Arthur switches to a kiteshield, and then goes after the nearby crossbowman. Unfortunately, he misses, and the return shot cripples him.

berch5_part88yzj53.png

I absentmindedly switched Clifford to the killer spear here, although the block would have prevented a one-hit kill anyway.

berch5_part89qqjx0.png

A Narvian archer fires over the fort at an axe soldier, but misses. Seeing that Arthur is vulnerable to attack, I have Ward move in to guard him. Immediately afterwards, he is targeted:

berch5_part90lujbr.png

berch5_part916hkaq.png

Ward of course has the counter skill for this mission, so he gets both hits in retaliation with his knight sword. The first is mostly blocked by the Bornian's shield, but the second turns out to be fatal.

berch5_part92blk9v.png

Elbert provokes the nearby crossbowman, to reduce the number of enemies in range of Arthur.

berch5_part9349jxf.png

Czene hands the blessed brace over to Izerna:

berch5_part94o9jrp.png

Reese is attacked by a spearman, resulting in his shield breaking.

berch5_part95oljxv.png

Endemic

Arcane
Update 51: Chapter 5 - Hold the Fort (part 5)

More spearmen engage Reese, with one of them dying to a counterattack:

berch5_part97qsj00.png

Sherpa takes a chunk out of the nearby knight. Reese's Gram then cuts down another enemy.

berch5_part99prkf4.png

That takes him to level 6:

berch5_part100qlk9f.png

Izerna heals Dean with physic, so I can go on the offensive with him next turn. Meanwhile, Reese continues to demonstrate how powerful Gram is.

berch5_part101spj08.png

Uh-oh, Arnold decided to attack him...

berch5_part102rhjbo.png

Fortunate that he wasn't critted to death there. This spearman wasn't so lucky:

berch5_part10351j2s.png

After that successful attack and equipping a spare shield, I have Reese retreat to the river with canto. Christine moves in with her longbow to finish off the knight that was struck by Sherpa.

berch5_part104gij1i.png

That left Christine in range of several enemies, so to preempt any attacks on her, Marcel takes up the guard role. Clifford's wind spear claims another victim:

berch5_part105nrkxw.png

Volo continues the trip towards Lyarc.

berch5_part106dnjon.png

The raze monk heals Arnold, which will help avoid my units accidentally killing him.

berch5_part107ygjx6.png

No enemy reinforcements on turn 6, so Volo now has a clear path to deal with his target.

berch5_part108kpjjq.png

Larentia captures the crippled enemy cavalry unit:

berch5_part109bok8g.png

His iron spear and buckler are obtained in the process, still in pretty good condition. A knight throws a pilum at her afterwards, but misses.

Now that the enemies are thinned out, Christine can talk to Arnold safely. I switch her to a crossbow just in case.

berch5_part111h7k7v.png

berch5_part1124lj3z.png

Arnold: W-Why do you know my name...?

Christine: Your father is worried about you! Quickly, run away from here!

Arnold: M-My father sent you?! But I'm a soldier of Bornia...

Christine: You don't want to fight though, do you? You couldn't kill another person. Look, you're struggling just to hold onto your equipment...

Arnold: B-But if I surrender, I'll become a prisoner-of-war...

Christine: We'll take of everything. Now move quickly, before someone sees!

Arnold: Y-You really mean it?! I've been so scared out of my mind... I'll get out of here right away!

He's now a green unit, meaning other Bornian soldiers will attack him:

berch5_part11351jyp.png

Which is why I had Christine talk to him before he moved ;)

Reese resumes his killing spree with Gram, getting a crit on a counterattack.

berch5_part114mjjps.png

Nice level-up too.

berch5_part11561je0.png

Arnold takes a hit from enemy cavalry, but he's strong enough to survive one more, and if necessary I can heal him with Izerna.

Uncharacteristically, both Elbert and Clifford fail to hit the remaining opposition in the centre. Elbert finds himself on the receiving end of an arrow, but blocks most of the damage:

berch5_part116yzjd9.png

The southern ballista is almost in range of the fort:

berch5_part1176bkrc.png

Ward rides over to the town to persuade Gasch to leave.

berch5_part118rojod.png

Ward: Excuse me, are you Mr. Gasch?

Gasch: And which army are you from? Damn kids, starting a war in my backyard...

Ward: ...With that aside, your daughter Marybelle is very worried about you. Please leave this area at once, before the battle worsens!

Gasch: This ain't the first war I've lived through, sonny! Ain't ever left my house before, and I ain't starting now!

Ward: Do you want to die, old man?!

Gasch: Ain't like I got much longer anyway! Now leave me alone!

Ward: (I guess I'll have to try harder to convince him... How stubborn!)

In fact, Ward will have to spend a total of 3 turns talking to Gasch before he'll leave. Stubborn indeed. Probably better to take care of that in the first few turns, unlike my bad timing :P

Sherpa advances to eliminate the monk with his Estoc:

berch5_part119g4kmw.png

Dean takes down the spear cavalry nearby, thanks to adept giving him a second strike.

berch5_part1208qkoq.png

Marcel continues to guard Christine, and Czene is ordered to stay hidden in the woods.

Izerna takes the opportunity to heal Reese.

berch5_part121enjm9.png

That brings us to the end of turn 6. I'll be back soon with more Berwick Saga :)

Last edited:

Endemic

Arcane
Update 52: Chapter 5 - Hold the Fort (part 6)

Bornian cavalry arrives for the start of turn 7:

berch5_part122oljij.png

To make sure Arnold doesn't die to them, Izerna steps in.

berch5_part123rcjlq.png

As I expected, a knight attacks him, inflicting a decent amount of damage.

berch5_part124cekq3.png

Goebbels has been busy spamming battle cry:

berch5_part125tbj30.png

I'll have to take care on the approach to Lyarc with Volo. Arnold retreats safely behind my units, while Clifford takes on the nearest enemy.

berch5_part1263uk5f.png

One of the spear cavalry units attacks Dean, but he evades and strikes back on his counterattack. Elbert is dispatched to deal with the remaining ballista:

berch5_part127tujy3.png

A pilum is thrown in Marcel's direction, but is wide of the mark. Arthur slowly limps away from the battle, as Ward continues his conversation with Gasch.

berch5_part128dnjbw.png

Gasch: You sure are persistent... Ain't you ever learned to respect your elders, whippersnapper?! Why're you so desperate to get me to leave, anyways?

Ward: Because a caring daughter asked me to help her father, Mr. Gasch.

Gasch: Bah...

Ward: (Not this time... but I bet he'll cave in soon. One more time...!)

More of the Bornian cavalry moves in, with Marcel being hit by a spear charge:

berch5_part12982k8d.png

Reese finishes off the knight.

berch5_part130ykkm1.png

The horse archer targets Arnold, leaving him dangeously low on hp.

berch5_part131vgjq9.png

Christine attacks with her crossbow, but inflicts minimal damage as her shot finds an enemy's shield in its path. She cantos back to the river.

Marcel takes a vulnerary from Izerna to heal with:

berch5_part132dukup.png

Larentia also uses a vulnerary, having taken hits on the previous turn. Sherpa is ordered to guard Izerna, as she's within range of multiple enemies.

berch5_part133iojmc.png

One thing I didn't account for happens.

berch5_part134nzks0.png

Lyarc: Could it be that the Goddess truly has abandoned us...? Then the end is inevitable... There is no justice in this battle. All forces, retreat! I will not continue to fight against those whom Veria has chosen.

Lyarc begins retreating towards the edge of the map. He's in position to leave on the next turn, as more cavalry arrives:

berch5_part135w1kkz.png

Once he does so, the mission will end immediately. Lyarc will retreat in this way if too few Bornian troops are left at any point. Reinforcements on subsequent turns are not factored in. While I won't be able to reach him now, I will show off a couple of things before reloading from the turn 5 save to try again.

As Lyarc is now out of range, Goebbels is targeted instead:

berch5_part136gjjow.png

He doesn't block with his shield (53% chance), taking a lot of damage from the wind spear as a result.

berch5_part136_2mkje0.png

Reese lands the killing blow:

berch5_part137mrk5c.png

Ward finally persuades Gasch to leave the town.

berch5_part139d7ktq.png

berch5_part140gajhg.png

Ward: Do you mean that you...?

Gasch: Yeah, I'll get my cane and see if I can make my way out of town.

Ward: In that case, I will do what I can to keep the enemy at bay. If we both make it back alive, I will treat you to a drink at Alex's tavern back in Navaron!

berch5_part1412zjup.png

Stay tuned for attempt #2.

Endemic

Arcane
ETA on the next update: should be tomorrow. I've been working on bug reports and feedback for the later chapters of the translation patch, which is now at chapter 11.

Endemic

Arcane
Update 53: Chapter 5 - Hold the Fort (part 7)

This time, I have Arthur attack the axe soldier instead, although the latter blocks with his shield and takes minimal damage.

ch5_part1edjzo.png

Izerna patches up Marcel:

ch5_part29njdb.png

Spear cavalry charges at Dean, but Marcel is still guarding him and blocks the attack. He successfully counters, preventing the enemy from using canto.

Larentia is sent to facilitate the capture of the injured cavalry unit using Mercy, without success:

ch5_part3dfkqf.png

Clifford and Elbert hold their ground in the centre of the line.

ch5_part445k4j.png

Arrow fire from the fort targets the Bornian axe soldier, without any hits. Dean equips a fresh axe and cuts down the knight next to him:

ch5_part5u9j28.png

Reese attacks another with Gram, not doing enough damage to kill. Arthur's duel with the axe soldier continues, as the latter's swing misses, allowing for a counterattack.

ch5_part6s2jkz.png

Ward eliminates the nearby crossbowman.

ch5_part7azj9p.png

He is then ordered to ride over to the town, so he can talk to Gasch next turn. Volo uses deathmatch and crits the enemy:

ch5_part82jjvn.png

Elbert moves up to the bridge, mowing down the light cavalry with his spear along the way.

ch5_part9o8kbp.png

Sherpa takes a hit, but Counter + his Estoc sweeps away his assailant.

ch5_part10hgk7b.png

Christine crosses the river and gets a shot into one of the cavalry with her longbow. Clifford charges at the knight that Reese engaged earlier, and finishes him off with the wind spear:

ch5_part11e2j4v.png

The enemy drops several pilums, which will come in handy for training Elbert's spear skill. Sherpa takes his turn next, effortlessly carving through another spearman.

ch5_part12txkv7.png

Situation at the start of turn 6:

ch5_part13w6kq6.png

I'll need to be careful here and avoid killing too many of Lyarc's troops, since that prompted his retreat last time. To that end, I have Larentia attack non-lethally.

ch5_part14wsjpe.png

Christine dismounts, switches to a crossbow and talks to Arnold (I'll skip the dialogue since you've already seen it).

ch5_part15cdjuf.png

Since I don't need to be attacking right now, Elbert dismounts and heals with a vulnerary.

ch5_part16cckma.png

Arnold is attacked by two different enemies, but manages to avoid both of them. Volo begins repositioning to duel Lyarc (I plan on having him attack towards the end of turn 10, so my other units can gain a bit more experience).

Sylvis snipes an axeman that made it to the gate:

ch5_part1771j8v.png

Arthur moves southeast to take care of the ballista near the river.

ch5_part1871kkn.png

Ward talks to Gasch (again, you've seen this already, so I'll skip the dialogue).

ch5_part190hknx.png

With the help of adept activating, Reese kills a spearman:

ch5_part200jj5z.png

He then cantos back to the river.

Marcel is tasked to guard Christine:

ch5_part21hjku9.png

Fred

Learned
BLUMP

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom