Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Let's play Berwick Saga (PS2 Strategy-RPG from the director of Fire Emblem 1-5)

Endemic

Arcane
Update 54: Chapter 5 - Hold the Fort (Part 8)

Immediately after the guard order is given, a spearman tries to attack Christine:

part177jtp.jpg

Sherpa stays put, while Izerna heals Marcel again.

part27wkmh.jpg

Dean relocates to the northeast.

part3jsjb1.jpg

At the end of the turn, the raze monk heals a spear cavalry unit.

Now that the turn 7 cavalry reinforcements have arrived, I can start attacking enemies:

part4dokxd.jpg

Arthur takes a chunk out of the ballistician.

part5bcjp3.jpg

Elbert holds off a knight on the bridge, taking minimal damage thanks to his shield. Larentia relocates towards the northern river crossing.

Sherpa is assigned to guard Izerna:

part6lfkk4.jpg

After taking another hit, Marcel's shield is about to break.

part7srjkb.jpg

Volo advances past the bridge; he'll be in attack range of Lyarc in about 2 more turns. Ward continues his talk with Gasch.

Elbert provokes the cavalry archer:

part81rkb4.jpg

Dean inflicts some damage on an enemy spearman, while Marcel takes some, in a rare instance of not blocking with his shield.

Reese levels up from killing the raze monk. That experience boost is proving quite helpful.

part9ovkkw.jpg

part10yxjil.jpg

Not bad, considering no playable character has a defense growth above 20%.

Marcel maintains his stalwart guard stance; he evades a spear charge and kills the enemy:

part11ytk48.jpg

Reese's shield is broken by a pilum.

part121qjn1.jpg

Christine fires an arrow into the melee in front of her, dealing moderate damage. Marcel then re-establishes guard over her (if you recall, the guarded unit doing anything other than "Wait" will cancel guard status).

Clifford draws the spear cavalry away from Christine:

part13sgkkq.jpg

The next wave of Bornian cavalry arrives on turn 8.

part144mjrn.jpg

Arthur eliminates his target.

part15mgjzr.jpg

He then cantos towards Volo, ready to support on the next turn. A Bornian knight charges at Reese, but the latter evades the attack.

Clifford's counterattack wipes out the enemy that he provoked:

part16fyjg6.jpg

Larentia rejoins the fray.

part17aeko9.jpg

Marcel takes another spear hit, prompting a heal from Izerna.

part188qkc4.jpg

Oops, I forgot about that gap in the line...luckily she dodged.

part1914jaf.jpg

Elbert leaves his position to attack, but his spear finds the enemy shield:

part20bekaw.jpg

Canto allows him to join the line of units in front of Izerna.

part21ibj2i.jpg

A cavalry charge breaks Marcel's shield.

part22s0j88.jpg

Reese falls back to get rid of the Bornian that bypassed my defence line. Two crits with Gram easily puts him down:

part23onkqf.jpg

Ward persuades Gasch to leave the town, followed by the Bornian reinforcements noticing Volo and moving towards him.

part24vyjbi.jpg

Clifford provokes a different enemy, to prevent him from circling around the forest.

part258vj3p.jpg

Last edited:

Endemic

Arcane
Update 55: Chapter 5 - Hold the Fort (part 9)

Christine picks off a spear cavalry unit:

part1hhkb4.jpg

Marcel spends the turn guarding, as usual. Sherpa's guarding focus is switched to Clifford, seeing as the latter is using provoke to lure enemies.

Dean's attack is evaded, and he takes damage on the enemy's counterattack.

part2f1jjo.jpg

On turn 9, more Bornian reinforcements arrive:

part3otk38.jpg

Dean uses a vulnerary to heal, while Arthur blocks a knight's spear charge.

part4p8kb4.jpg

Sherpa throws himself in the way of enemy cavalry, and makes use of his Counter skill.

Reese equips a spare shield and advances to thin out the opposition:

part5dpkzj.jpg

Since everyone else is fine for the moment, Izerna switches her healing to Larentia.

part6vrjmn.jpg

Elbert draws the attention of a cavalry archer, but Arrowbane allows him to dodge. Larentia notches up a kill from throwing a pilum.

part764kt5.jpg

Over in the southern portion of the battlefield, Volo evades a spear charge and successfully counterattacks the cavalry that engaged him. I'll need to move more units there soon so he isn't blocked from reaching Lyarc.

Elbert's charge finds its mark:

part898k0i.jpg

Marcel is hit again while guarding Christine. Clifford leaves the defensive line to take care of a knight by the bridge.

part9wojai.jpg

Volo is targeted again by enemy cavalry, this time he takes damage and his counterattack misses as well. Arthur arrives to reinforce him, but falls just short of a kill.

The newly arrived spearmen begin to move, the first one going after Elbert:

part10kzju0.jpg

Christine switches to a fresh longbow to provide ranged support, but her arrow strikes the spearman's shield, reducing the damage significantly. She then cantos back across the river.

Marcel switches to guarding Izerna this turn, and Sherpa advances to eliminate a horse archer:

part11v8j9x.jpg

Volo uses his turn to heal.

part12a4jfh.jpg

To start off turn 10, Clifford provokes the Bornian knight near Volo:

part13bljw4.jpg

The latter is targeted by yet another spear cavalry unit, but evades his opponent and strikes back.

part14s5jgw.jpg

Reese assaults into the centre of the enemy line, but misses his first swing with Gram, so his target survives the attack.

part15wcjoc.jpg

Elbert throws a pilum at Goebbels to nullify his battle cry bonuses:

part1628j9t.jpg

Marcel makes the enemy regret trying to attack Izerna.

part17d4kj4.jpg

Larentia comes up a bit short of killing one of the spearmen. Clifford also fails to strike a lethal blow against the knight he provoked.

Dean, however, fares better:

part18ytk2y.jpg

Lyarc notices that Elbert is nearby and preemptively attacks.

part19qejt0.jpg

Sherpa increases his kill count.

part20plkir.jpg

As Elbert is now the focus of enemy attention and taking hits, Arthur arrives to back him up, while healing himself.

part21vskcy.jpg

Volo initiates a deathmatch against Lyarc. They both hit in the first round of combat, but a crit courtesy of the rapier seals Lyarc's fate.

part222ckhb.jpg

The next hit is inevitably fatal.

part230kj4h.jpg

The level-up is pretty mediocre though:

part24ybjsk.jpg

The Bornian force is successfully halted at Aryuza, thanks to the timely intervention of Reese's knights and attached mercenaries.

Join me next time for the ending cutscenes. :)

Last edited:

Endemic

Arcane
Update 56: Chapter 5 - Hold the Fort (ending)

Over at the fort, Vanmilion hears the good news:

part15zkws.jpg

Eleanor: The citizens are welcoming the Sinon Knights with great joy.

Vanmilion: It's only natural, I suppose. If they hadn't stepped in, the town would have burned...Lord Reese saved them through his own determination. I must confess myself rather envious of him... If I also had subordinates like General Ward, then maybe I...

Eleanor: .....

part2oikf1.jpg

Reese: I have come to report. General Lyarc, the commander--

Vanmilion: The report can wait. Right now, we must have a toast to this great victory! Eleanor, prepare us a drink.

Eleanor: Yes, milord. One moment, please...

She leaves to do so.

Vanmilion: I am told that not a single citizen was harmed in the battle. Most impressive, as expected of the Knights of Sinon.

Reese: I give thanks to Mother Veria for receiving her blessing to be victorious in battle.

part3vlkw5.jpg

Reese: He taught me that the tides of war are not fully determined by men... Rather, we fight on the palms of the gods who decree our fates.

Vanmilion: Oh, I see... So it is Margrave Bernstol's saying... Do you believe his words?

Reese: ...I do not know... but it is said that if we trust in our conscience, the Mother will not abandon us.

Vanmilion: I see... I wish I could be as pure and true as you are, Lord Reese.

Reese: As I am?

Vanmilion: The Duchy of Narvia used to be such a peaceful and cheerful place... but things have changed ever since His Majesty came to Navaron. His soldiers are depraved beasts, and his advisors are incompetent... Especially that buffoon Padolf and that snake Herman... They treat Father like a servant and march about the palace as if they own it! Father could easily have them...

part47ok5d.jpg

My guess is that Volcens has too many men loyal to him for that to be an option. Roswick would almost certainly be declared a traitor and arrested.

Eleanor returns and interrupts the discussion:

part5a9j5m.jpg

Vanmilion: Yes, Eleanor?

Eleanor: Sir Bowen is preparing to execute one of his knights as an example... Shall I tell him to stop?

Vanmilion: What on earth...? Eleanor, tell me the details.

part69wkwp.jpg

Oh...

Vanmilion: ...and did he?

Eleanor: Yes, Sir Marcel himself admits to deliberately disobeying him.

Vanmilion: Then Bowen has every right. The penalty for such defiant insubordination is death.

Eleanor: Shall I inform Sir Bowen that he has permission to execute, then?

part7pujru.jpg

Vanmilion: Do you know something about his specific circumstances, Lord Reese?

Reese: Not entirely, but that knight Marcel fought alongside us for the entirety of the battle. He risked life and limb with honour to protect the town of Aryuza. Much of our success in this battle was thanks to his bravery.

Vanmilion: Then, do you believe he is innocent?

Reese: I do not believe he is innocent, but he followed his own conscience. I think execution is too extreme.

Vanmilion: I understand. Let us do this, then: for the crime of disobeying orders, his execution would be warranted. However, given his deeds in the defence of Aryuza, he will instead receive a lighter sentence. He is to be stripped of his title and exiled to the remote wilderness.

Reese: ...but still, even that is...

Vanmilion: Therefore, he will be sent to Sinon. I leave the details of transporting him there to you, Lord Reese.

Reese: To... me, Lord Vanmilion?

Vanmilion: No matter what happens, the law must always be upheld, yes? I delegate the task of carrying out his sentence to you, Lord Reese.

Reese: A-ah, right. You can leave everything to me.

Eleanor: Thank goodness... That is quite a relief!

part8kfjyk.jpg

Heh. I think Vanmilion was being a bit too modest at the beginning there.

The next day, Marcel catches up with Reese at the Sinon Knights' headquarters.

part9dukog.jpg

part10bvkqr.jpg

Marcel: Lord Vanmilion told me about what you did for me... I was to be executed, but thanks to your word, my life was spared. I will not forget this debt to you for as long as I live, Lord Reese!

Reese: Lord Vanmilion was the one who overturned your sentence. You need not thank me.

Marcel: Understood, milord. I am honoured to be given the privilege to serve you, Lord Reese. Even as a simple enlisted man, to serve alongside the Order of the Knights of Sinon is simply wonderful!

Reese: I do not recall saying that I would make you a soldier in my army.

part11i1kgx.jpg

part12mqkac.jpg

Marcel steps forward and bows.

part13jzkkg.jpg

part1415ktu.jpg

part15g7j2l.jpg

part165djru.jpg

part1789kog.jpg

part18tak3b.jpg

part19inj5y.jpg

part20s6k4q.jpg

part21xkk2d.jpg

Similar scenes happen for promotions (mages promote in the Veria Temple, and some mercenaries at the guild), which is a nice bit of gameplay-story integration.

Anyway, that was quite an emotional rollercoaster for Marcel there. I'll be back soon with the citizen request scenes and some character interludes. :)

Last edited:

Endemic

Arcane
Update 57: Chapter 5 - Hold the Fort (ending, continued)

Let's see what happened with Maria and Erec first:

part1nskph.jpg

part25mjbr.jpg

Izerna: He was strong and well, and he asked how you were faring yourself. He promised he would come home, and gave me this flower for you.

Maria: Thank the Goddess he's all right... Ah, this flower...! Izerna... Thank you so much...

Izerna: I have one more matter of good news to give you, Maria.

Maria: Yes?

Izerna: Now that Aryuza has been held, reinforcements have been sent to replenish the troops there. The soldiers who fought to defend it are being allowed to return home!

part3awkeb.jpg

Maria: I can't thank you and Lord Reese enough for all you've done...

Izerna: I am simply happy to see you smile, Maria.

Maria: I want to help you somehow, as a way of saying thanks.

Izerna: There's no need for that. You're always doing your best for us here at the abbey. All I want is for you and all my fellow sisters to be happy.

Maria: .....

Izerna: I think it's beautiful, the way you and Erec communicate through the hidden meanings of flowers...

Maria: Thank you, Izerna... Ah, I know what I can do! High Priestess Quescria gave me this orb a while back, but it will be of better use with you.

Izerna: Oh, a Physic orb? Thank you, Maria! I will make good use of it!

Maria: I'm sure you will. Thank you again for helping Erec and me.

part4nxj17.jpg

Next stop: the mercenary guild.

part5fgk1q.jpg

Routh: You've been a great help.

Tianna: Think nothing of it. After all, it does not matter by whose hand he was caught, is that not so?

Routh: Quite right. Still, I'm mighty grateful to you. As for you, Valery...!

Valery: .....

Routh: Why the hell didn't you come to me instead of making Lady Tianna do our job for us, huh?

Valery: I-I'm sorry, sir...

Routh: When you hear news like this, you come straight to me first!

part641jav.jpg

Routh: As your punishment, you'll be taking care of this paperwork. We just got these files from our sister guild in Aryuza about all the mercenaries killed in battle. Copy each one onto a new sheet of parchment, then organize them for our records. Get it done by tomorrow morning.

Valery: What?! ...Yes, sir...

He leaves to find the files. A short while later, the conversation continues.

Routh: That Valery... He's got no idea how to do this job properly!

Tianna: That seems a bit too harsh. I think Valery has been doing a fine job.

Routh: You think so? Maybe you're right...

part7kxj2d.jpg

Routh: What is it?

Valery: I can't find those documents you asked me to work on...

He receives an irritated glare in response.

Routh: .....

Tianna also turns to look at Valery, wondering if she spoke too soon.

part858ka9.jpg

I think we can all relate to this scenario :)

Routh: ...A fine job, you say?

Tianna: ...Sometimes.

Routh: ...Oh, I almost forgot! Let me get you the bounty for catching Munver.

part9skk1p.jpg

Not bad. Let's check in on Arnold and Christine next.

part10iojgg.jpg

Markos: Arnold, show your gratitude to her as well!

Arnold: T-Thank you for what you did for me back in Aryuza...

Christine: I'm just glad I found you in time.

Markos: You foolish boy! And as I thought, you sure changed your mind about staying quick! He said from now on, he's going to stay here and follow my advice!

Christine: I see... Perhaps that's for the best.

Arnold: I've caused Father so much trouble and worry because of my awful stubborn attitude... As well as trouble for you, Miss. I'm going to give being a merchant another try, for both your sakes.

Christine: It would be wonderful if you could become a successful merchant like him.

Arnold: True... but I envy you, Dame Christine.

part11uwkhn.jpg

part12nljel.jpg

Markos: ...I can't tell you how grateful I am to you, Dame Christine! Here, I want to give you this. It's a little something that I bought back when I was still in Bornia.

Christine: A jewel?! I can't accept this...

Markos: You did the impossible for me, Dame Christine. Something no one else would! This is the only way I can truly express my thanks to you. Please, take it.

Christine: All right... Thank you very much. I wish the best of luck to both of you from here on out!

Markos: Thank you, Dame Christine!

part13lzjpr.jpg

Christine's response to Arnold's compliment shows a growing cynicism on her part. Though she's right about medieval warfare being ugly for the soldiers on the front lines.

Last but not least, stubborn old man Gasch:

part14xukev.jpg

Gasch arrives at the door.

Gasch: Stubborn?! I ain't stubborn...!

part15a6jwx.jpg

Gasch: Always causing trouble, breaking people's property, and all that...

Ward raises his eyebrow, but says nothing.

Gasch: Still, you're just a young lad. I'm sure you'll wisen up once you get a bit older.

Ward: (Young lad...?)

Marybelle: Please pardon him, Sir Ward...

Ward: No, he's quite right. From your perspective, Mr. Gasch, I am rather young, am I not?

Gasch: Heh heh heh! That's exactly right! Still, I guess I wouldn't mind living a bit while longer to watch young folks like you wisen up a bit.

Marybelle: ...Oh, that's right! I should reward you somehow...

Ward: That's quite all right, Madam. I ask no compensation for this.

Gasch: Well, at least let me give you this for all your trouble!

Ward: A necklace?

Gasch: Back when I was young like you, I got that charm from the Orient. Supposedly, it's got some special enchantment on it to keep you alive. Never ended up needing it, though.

part165ej8l.jpg

Gasch: It's not doing me any good. No use in me keeping it if it's just sitting on my mantle! It ain't like it'll keep me from going to the grave at my age.

Ward: Given your strength of spirit, Mr. Gasch, I'd say you still have quite a few years yet to live!

Gasch: 'Course I do! I won't lose to you young folks just yet!

Ward: In that case, I will accept your gift gladly.

Gasch: Good. Now don't you go forgetting about that drink you promised me!

Ward: Don't you worry, Mr. Gasch. I'll treat you next time we meet.

Gasch [chuckling]: I'm looking forward to it!

part1732jga.jpg

Last edited:

Endemic

Arcane
Update 58: Chapter 5 - Hold the Fort (Interludes)

A pretty decent item haul from that mission:

part1kfjjg.jpg

A few of the Bornian soldiers dropped money as well. Unfortunately I didn't kill the turn 9 Raze monk, who was carrying a gold coin (1000 denarii). While I'm on the topic of items, there are a few helpful sorting options as per the screenshot, although sorting by item name uses the Japanese names (it's hardcoded). A trade all\remove all option would be nice to reduce micromanagement, but it's not a bad UI for an old console game.

Moving on, a brief overview of Marcel's combat capability.

part2jjjy9.jpg

His base stats and starting equipment skill are pretty good for a level 5 unit. However, he has one very noticeable drawback. What I can only assume to be overzealous balancing left him with 3 movement until level 15, which hampers Marcel's usefulness in offensive missions. Also, his sword skill caps at just 40, which is tied for lowest among all sword-using classes.

part3olk3z.jpg

That said, he's very good at defending a point or ally, with his base shield rate being up to 90% depending on equipment. He has a surprising 30% growth rate for the Speed stat as well. He will not join the Sinon Knights if any of the civilians in Aryuza were killed during the battle.

Time to learn more about Sylvis:

part4lhjma.jpg

part5ackzu.jpg

This might sound a little strange if you've been hiring her for the last 4 chapters. Then again, I don't think Reese personally goes around town to buy equipment for every soldier either - that's just a gameplay convenience.

Sylvis: I met one of your subordinates earlier, but I didn't get the chance to see you! What a twist of fate!

Tianna: Lord Reese, who is this lady?

Reese: Sylvis, a mercenary. I witnessed her superb marksmanship myself at the defense of Fort Aryuza.

Tianna: Sylvis? Are you perhaps Sylvis of Apollonia, the renowned huntress?

Sylvis: Oh, you've heard of me?

Tianna: Only rumours from the townsfolk. They say you're an Apollonian bounty hunter with a crimson bow...

part63nkpq.jpg

Sylvis: "Once an arrow flies from her bow, it can pierce stone as well as flesh!" Things like that, right?

Tianna: And yet looking at you, your body is clearly not steel, though your eyes are bright and sparkling.

Sylvis: Oh, you flatterer! So, what's your name?

Tianna: Tianna, secretary to Lord Reese.

Sylvis: Well, Miss Tianna, I'm afraid the rumours you've heard do exaggerate... The biggest bounty I've brought in was merely a hundred denarii, and my beloved crimson bow is now broken. My arrows cannot, of course, pierce through rocks...and I'm actually in my twenties.

Tianna: It would be hard for anyone to live up to such rumours. When the townsfolk hear of a woman warrior, the rumours tend to get out of hand much more easily...

Sylvis: Hmph. I'll thank you not to compare me to this country's dolls. I'm a pround warrior of Apollonia. The only reason people are so awed is that the women of this country just spend their time on pointless things!

Tianna: Pointless things? Whatever do you mean?

Sylvis: Your women just sit at home combing their hair, preening their dresses... A stiff breeze could break them! They can't do anything without men around to protect them. It's pathetic!

part7c9kaj.jpg

:| I'm not sure about that Sylvis. Usually that's a desperate last resort in an advanced civilization...then again, perhaps Apollonia isn't advanced. It does appear to be a reference to the ancient Greek city of the same name: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollonia_(Illyria)

Tianna: If I were captured by the Empire, I'd have no illusions that I would come out alive. Yet I do not pity myself, nor do I think I should be pitied. I am content with my life. Why do you suppose that is, Sylvis?

Sylvis: Who knows? I'm not a mind-reader.

Reese: It's because my knights and I devote our entire lives to protecting her and the other citizens of this country. In return, she helps ensure that we have a home worth coming back to after the battle is over. For that, I'm very grateful to her. She's not just some object for us to keep at home to do housework.

Sylvis: .....

Tianna: Lord Reese...

part8ltkti.jpg

Reese: ...but regardless, it's unreasonable of you to criticize our way of life when you clearly don't understand it at all. You say our women only spend time on fruitless efforts, but you couldn't possibly be more wrong. Marybelle, Cecily, Teresa, Lumiere, the sisters at the temple... This city - no, this country - would be nothing without them. They're too important to lose.

part9diktb.jpg

Sylvis: .....My apologies, Lord Reese. I spoke out of ignorance.

Reese: As long as you understand, it's fine...

Tianna: ...If I may ask, Sylvis, what prompted you to travel here to Narvia?

part103fkas.jpg

You may recall that Weiss is already the subject of a bounty at the mercenary guild.

Sylvis: He sails around the Sea of Berre targeting large merchant ships. He's been quite harmful to trade. I've been tracking him across Lazberia for the past three years.

Tianna: Three years?!

Sylvis: Call it a personal vendetta. Those rumours you heard about me used to be more accurate. I heard about the price on his head, and I foolishly thought I could take him down by myself. I took the job, and by dumb luck I found him at Port Gaillard...

part113kkka.jpg

Sylvis: Yes, and whenever I get close to him, he's always one step ahead... He made such a fool of me... My pride as a bounty hunter was sullied because of that man!

Reese: Then I take it you came to Narvia in order to continue your hunt for this pirate called Weiss?

Sylvis: Indeed. I heard a rumour that his ship was spotted in the Sea of Berre near the Duchy of Narvia. I intend to stay in this country until I confirm if this rumour is true. However, I don't anticipate that this will interfere with my regular work as a mercenary. Please feel free to hire me as you see fit, Lord Reese.

Reese: Very well. I will trust in your skills and your honour as a warrior.

Well, that certainly gave us a lot of insight into Sylvis's character. Entertaining as her trash-talking of (presumably) Narvian noblewomen was, Reese is correct. Specialization is inevitable and desirable in a contemporary civilization - as he points out, men and women alike have a role to play in Narvian (or Verian) society. It isn't a coincidence that the female characters don't have particularly good strength\defense stats, another example of Berwick Saga's gameplay-story integration.

Let's check in with Czene at the stables:

part12znkn2.jpg

The mare is unsettled, and kicks wildly.

Enoch: Watch it, you! Don't kick the food trough!

Czene hears the commotion.

part13ozj90.jpg

Enoch: Something's off with her. Lately, she's stopped eating anything I give her.

Czene: Stopped eating? But she's eating just fine right now, see?

Enoch: Now that's strange... She was practically throwing a fit just a minute ago...

Czene: I see what you mean about not eating... She's gotten a little thinner than she was the last time I came by... Did anything strange happen to her since then?

Enoch: No, nothing in particular... Hm...

part14wvkff.jpg

Enoch: When you're not here, she doesn't do a single thing I want her to... but ever since you got here, she's been much more obedient.

Czene: What does that mean?

Enoch: Maybe she's acting up because she thought that would make you come by and see her again...

Czene: You think so...?

She runs her hand over the mare's mane, eliciting a pleased response.

Czene: ...Looks like it.

Enoch: What a little punk!

Czene: A punk? She's a girl, you know.

Enoch: That doesn't mean she can't still be a punk!

Czene: Oh, you... Well, I'll sort this out... Now you listen to me! You have to listen to Enoch even when I'm not here, got it?

A loud neigh is followed by the horse kicking Enoch in the leg.

part15ctkwc.jpg

Enoch: Why, you little...!

Czene: .....

Enoch: Czene, I get that you feel sorry about what happened to her, but I think you're spoiling her too much.

Czene: Sorry about that... I think she's lonely here.

Enoch: Lonely?

Czene: Yeah. I told you how this horse is just like the one I had growing up, didn't I?

Enoch: Yeah, I remember.

Czene: It's not just that... This horse is a lot like me, too.

Enoch: Like you?

Czene: Yeah... After Tico died, I didn't feel like I belonged with my clan anymore... On my 15th birthday, I left, and came here to Navaron. But it's difficult to be an outsider here in the city. I had no job, no place to live... but even beyond that, I was lonely. It was so painful.

part16azjjz.jpg

Czene: If I hadn't run into Mr. Carmal and the Sinon Knights, I don't know what would have happened to me by now... This horse was also from the plains, and now she's lost and all alone here in this city, just like me...

Enoch: That's not true at all.

Czene: Huh...?

Enoch: Are you lonely right now, Czene?

Czene: ...No. Because now, I've got friends...

Enoch: So does she. She's got you, and me, and my dad. There's no way she could be lonely.

Czene: ...I suppose so, huh?

Enoch: That's right.

Czene: .....Enoch?

Enoch: Hm?

part17jmj4w.jpg

That explains thief as a career choice then :P

Translation notes

I suppose this would be a good time to discuss the changes the translation patch made to the original script (besides the usual adjustments to grammar and diction to have the speech flow better in English).

Chapter 1: Dean's initial entrance (when he confronts the deserters harassing Izerna) doesn't have him say anything in the Japanese script. Aethin added a few lines to give him more personality in English.

Chapter 2: Czene has one or two new lines to emphasize her cheeky personality. "Rest in peace, loser" upon Gariad's death being the main change.

Chapter 3: In Erzheimer's introduction scene, "Parthian" has now been changed to "Paltzian".*

Chapter 4: Daoud's first line was originally translated literally "Come to save us, have you? Oh, my hero...". It was changed in a later patch, to "So now that we're dying, we're suddenly worth saving? Or were you snail-paced idiots just too slow to make it here in time?".

Also in Daoud's opening conversation, "I'm a knight from Aragon" is now "I'm a knight from Alagonne".*

Lynette's second letter had a bait-and-switch line edited (mention of a "beast" breaking into her room with a possible rape implication). At the time of me playing chapter 4, there were some other missing lines that have now been corrected in later versions of the translation patch. Page 1 of the letter now reads as follows:

part18zuj0c.jpg

Chapter 5: Reese's response to Sylvis adds a mention of women soldiers under his command.* Presumably this is a nod to Larentia and Christine.

Miscellaneous: Lynette no longer uses honorifics when referring to Reese in her letters. A few mission titles have been edited to fit inside the UI in English. Some characters (particularly bounty targets, brigands and thieves) were given distinct dialects.

*I disagreed with these, hence reverting them in the lets play.

I'm not particularly bothered by the other changes, Lynette's second letter reads just fine without unnecessary melodrama (the same writing gimmick was used to much better effect in Teresa's chapter 3 citizen request scenes, where it had an actual payoff). Daoud's sarcasm was funny, but it also seems jarring given the situation he was in. Changing that to a more serious line while retaining the angry tone works fine for me.

The translation is of course a work in progress - feedback and reporting of errors\inconsistencies has been ongoing over the last 18 months or so. Overall, I'm very impressed with Aethin's rendition of the story and dialogue so far.

Next time I'll get started on Chapter 5-1. See you there :)

Last edited:

Endemic

Arcane
Update 59: Chapter 5-1 - Lumiere (Introduction and battle preparations)

You can choose which one of these two side missions to take first; I'll go with Lumiere.

part1yyk9g.jpg

part23tj2f.jpg

Ward: It is high time that the knights took care of these problematic cretins who have made trouble for so long.

Reese: Yes, and I heard that Lord Vanmilion himself was tasked with carrying out this mission to the north.

Ward: To the north, you say...? Ah, you mean Vall?

part3mck4u.jpg

If that name sounds familiar, it's because these are the same Vall pirates that attacked Port Samoa last chapter, where Sherlock dealt with Penelo the lyre thief.

Reese: I am considering assisting Lord Vanmilion by sending a reconnaissance team to Vall before his mission. What do you think?

Ward: Hmm, these pirates are certainly dangerous enough as to warrant careful preparation... What with looting, kidnapping, dealing with slavers... Considering that this is their base, yes, I believe it will be vital to take such precautionary measures.

Reese: I'm glad you agree. This reconnaissance will also serve another important purpose: it is quite likely that any prisoners of the pirates will be kept there, so I want to locate them beforehand.

Ward: An excellent idea, milord. I shall prepare a team to carry out the reconnaissance mission.

Reese: When Lord Vanmilion's forces arrive, he may have little time to mind prisoners during the battle.

part4i6jch.jpg

Shortly afterwards, Adel is summoned to the office:

part5b9kkg.jpg

Tianna: He simply asked that I send him a trustworthy individual.

Adel: Is it a matter that he doesn't want to make public?

Tianna: You had better ask him directly. He is waiting for you at the atelier.

Adel: I understand. I'll head there right now.

part6k8ks8.jpg

Adel: Don't worry about it. What is it you need help with?

Danton: Earlier today, someone threw this letter from our lovely alchemist Lumiere into the atelier...

part7wkksp.jpg

Adel: So you want me to break in and rescue her?

Danton: No, that's not what I had in mind.

Adel: ...It's not?

Danton: I'm sure that you and the rest of the Sinon Knights would have a good chance of bringing her back... but still... I just can't take a risk like that when her life's on the line.

Adel: What do you mean?

Danton: Every single one of my artisans is a veteran, a master of their art. That goes for Lumiere, too. This whole business relies on the skill of our artisans to provide what our customers ask for. If we lost Lumiere, I don't know if I could keep the atelier afloat with all her clients gone... That's how precious she is to this business.

Adel: .....

part8pkjwk.jpg

:lol: I think that little speech about his business raised an eyebrow with Adel there.

Danton: We have a transporter who brings us materials every once in a while, but this time, they got sick. That sweet Lumiere, she went out on her own to fetch the materials herself! But then she got kidnapped... If only I'd gone instead of her... Anyway, who knows what the pirates will do to her if we send a rescue team after her? I can't take that risk.

part90dkr7.jpg

Adel: But Mr. Danton, where will you find 100,000 denarii on such short notice?

Danton: Orlando has that part covered. He's going around town right now asking people to pitch in. Don't you worry about the money. Sir Adel... Please, could you help us?

Adel: ...Yes, I'll help you. I know an easy way for me to reach Vall island, too. Lord Reese is organising a team to perform reconnaissance of the island, so I'll volunteer to go along. That should give me the chance to pay Lumiere's ransom for you.

part10l1jk4.jpg

This should be a good opportunity to get some training done, and work on raising mercenary happiness. I'll want Leon along to get the support bonus with Adel.

part11hkkhq.jpg

As Lumiere has nobody substituting for her, you can't craft magic orbs or potions at the atelier, or access the storage for related components until she's been rescued.

I'll take Sylvis (950D) for ranged support, and give Ruby (400) some more combat experience. I also spend 1128 on a Heal orb for Izerna, since I want to preserve Mend uses (the temple doesn't stock another mend orb for a while). Czene's lockpicking skills will come in handy here, Elbert is training spear skill, and Arthur can fill in the last slot.

part12g3j9h.jpg

Adel has the Throw skill, so I'm starting him with some pilums, and the pitchfork since he's the only one that can use it. If necessary, I'll have Elbert or Ruby trade him an iron spear later in the mission.

part13oajfp.jpg

Leon will be fine with some captured Imperial equipment, given his better stats at this point. Since spears are a heavily contested resource, I'm not planning on deploying this duo much.

part14tbj9d.jpg

Izerna is coming along nicely, only a bit more light skill and 2.5 levels left till promotion.

part15txj4n.jpg

Arthur of course still has the bonuses from the Kingfisher. I'm hoping to get him recruited next chapter or early in Ch7, after which he can promote at level ~11 or so.

part16jnjdm.jpg

Elbert is looking good statistically, but that spear skill is always troublesome. Hopefully I can get 1 point on this map, so to that end he has the lion's share of pilums in my inventory.

part17acjgs.jpg

Czene really needs a better weapon, the basic dagger doesn't cut it anymore. Perhaps I can capture one on Vall. She's on track to reach at least level 6 by the end of this chapter, which is nice.

part18o2jnp.jpg

I dumped most of Christine's inventory on Sylvis, but I'll probably stick to the longbow. Since her bracketing for strength is -/+ 3, her damage output is quite variable. On this playthrough, she's been blessed by the RNG with 9 Str at level 8.

part1911jo1.jpg

Ruby's shield skill is the slowest thing to increase, so she gets to wear the prototype shield for now. Her strength bracketing is also wide, but the minimum remains at 4 all the way till promotion. It's unfortunate that she doesn't learn Adept until level 17.

In the next update, I'll get the mission itself started. Stay tuned :)

Last edited:

Endemic

Arcane
Update 60: Chapter 5-1 - Lumiere (part 1)

Arriving on Vall, our team starts at the edge of a cave network, with split deployment zones:

part14gjvu.jpg

There is a tunnel to the north, with a thief waiting on the other side. The chokepoint to the northeast is guarded by 3 enemies:

part26jjj9.jpg

Aside from the high accuracy, he also has Overwatch. Sylvis's Longbowman skill could help deal with him, or I could just let someone take a hit. Ruby does need shield practice...

The mercenary isn't too threatening except for Parry, which activates based on weapon skill. The corsair next to him just has a log splitter and franciscas.

part3p5jnj.jpg

By the door to the prisoners, there is more dangerous opposition.

part4arkrd.jpg

Zaiath, who we first saw back at Port Samoa, has pretty good stats and an improved scimitar with +1 strikes, along with the Commander skill.

part5aqjsd.jpg

The mercenary next to him (who also has parry) is no pushover either.

part6nfkc6.jpg

The corsairs flanking them have anti-shield weapons. The breaker axe instantly breaks shields on contact, while the war pick bypasses them.

part7nhjo2.jpg

part8hvjg4.jpg

Finally, the archer in front has a threatening equipment loadout (in addition to the Aim skill).

part9v6jtk.jpg

To the north, there is a corsair with a glacier axe (bonus wind damage) at the pier; another corsair with battle cry and a devil axe; and a thief holding a bolt knife.

part10t3j3k.jpg

It'd be nice if I could capture this guy for the knife, since it will make future capturing attempts much more reliable.

part11pejow.jpg

There's a chest over in the corner here, reminding you that it pays to have Czene or Thaddy in your team.

part12obj9e.jpg

After repositioning units, the mission can begin.

part13ixklb.jpg

Corsair: No boss... Ain't heard nothin' yet.

Zaiath: Tch, don't they care about her at all? Bunch of stuck-up assholes... Shave her hair and send it to 'em. Maybe that'll make them realize we mean business. After that, give 'em half a day to come up with the money. If they still don't listen, we'll ship her off and make the sale. Either way, we'll make a mint!

Corsair: Ya found a buyer, boss?

Zaiath: Sure did. He's very interested. Even with her head shaved, she'll fetch a mighty high price! Hahaha!

Meanwhile, the prisoners ponder their dilemma.

Red-haired woman: They're going to sell us to slavers, or worse... I just know it!

Blonde woman: No! They can't...! Oh... Someone, please save us!

part14y3k1a.jpg

The fourth woman in the group remains silent.

Lumiere: We can't give up hope. We just need to be strong and trust that we'll make it through this. That's all we can do right now...

part15bxj1g.jpg

Adel: They let us walk right in after we showed them the ransom money! Now that we're this close, we don't need to worry about not making it to the prisoners in time... Mr. Danton may not like it, but I think this is going to be our best chance. Everyone, I'll take point! I want to make rescuing any hostages our top priority for this mission!

part161vjso.jpg

To be more exact, all friendly and player units need to reach the pier in the northeast; alternately, the Escape All command can be used when all hostiles are dead\withdrawn and the prisoners freed.

If you have staff\skill range turned on in the options, then the radius for skills like Supporter will be shown in yellow when hovering the cursor over the relevant unit:

part174ikwx.jpg

Elbert takes point, and immediately draws the attention of the corsair, who fails to hit.

part18ykkqk.jpg

Arthur and Ruby take him down with successive attacks.

part19o9j0l.jpg

Their comrades advance. None of the other Vall pirates leave their positions.

part20tzjgr.jpg

Elbert provokes the mercenary on turn 2; the latter also misses, leading to another successful counterattack.

part21dejte.jpg

Ruby charges in with her spear, but neither her or the mercenary connect their strikes. She does gain a point of spear skill though.

Adel seals the deal:

part22c6kja.jpg

A terrible level-up. Not even spear skill.

part239ekcg.jpg

Arthur's earlier move to the northern tunnel entrance lures the nearby thief.

part24pwkj4.jpg

The remainder of my force stacks up behind Elbert.

part2551kxc.jpg

Last edited:

Endemic

Arcane
Update 61: Chapter 5-1 - Lumiere (part 2)

On turn 3, I move Arthur away from the thief, so Czene can get the kill xp. He has other ideas, and attacks Izerna:

part1luji5.png

Czene takes care of him.

part2_04zj2o.png

Ruby advances, and blocks both arrows from the overwatching enemy.

part2mbjmm.png

Leon's spear charge is evaded.

part302ja4.png

Now everyone's in range for turn 4.

part45kj1h.png

Czene splits off to grab the loot.

part5g3k9w.png

Elbert provokes the battle cry corsair:

part6aiks5.png

Sylvis uses her longbowman skill to good effect.

part7kekbm.png

No dice with Ruby, so Leon smacks down the archer.

part85ykaa.png

A modest level-up.

part9kajja.png

On turn 5 now. Czene finds a crafting material in the chest:

part10hpkng.png

A quartet of pirates led by a swordfighter arrive mid-turn.

part10_1n5j6b.png

Krishna: Guess I got here just in time... C'mon boys! Let's teach these idiots a lesson!

Elbert evades and successfully counterattacks the corsair he provoked.

Krishna has a price on his head, and isn't to be taken lightly:

part11c4jm4.png

part12hwjwf.png

The three men accompanying him have fairly good weapons, including a Hammer (which bypasses the defences of armour-type units).

Elbert continues his duel with the corsair.

part14gejtf.png

Ruby says thanks for the xp.

part15rdjln.png

Next turn, Sylvis takes up overwatch:

part1603jbh.png

Elbert and Arthur stand guard in front, as Krishna's group approaches.

part17tojt0.png

Krishna moves to attack Elbert.

part18pbksx.png

Krishna: You got guts, I'll give you that. But now you've got me curious... How's about I take you apart so we can get a good look at those guts of yours!

Sylvis is unimpressed by his boast, and injures him with her overwatch shot.

part19ckjmj.png

One of the corsairs swings his axe at Arthur, but neither of them get any hits in the ensuing melee.

Taking aim, Sylvis puts another arrow into Krishna:

part2013kxa.png

He isn't long for this world. Elbert falls back to let Ruby have a try at attacking, but she is unsuccessful. Krishna's speed allows him to evade Arthur as well.

Ruby tries again on the following turn, to no avail. Krishna falls back and heads in Czene's direction. Arthur holds off the corsair next to him, while Sylvis interrupts another with overwatch.

part211ajf5.png

I opt to try desperation with Arthur to finish off the corsair in one round, but his longsword breaks, preventing the second strike.

part22takmb.png

Leon and Adel aren't strong enough to take on Zaiath's group by themselves, so they hold station. On turn 9, Arthur trades with Ruby to get a verian sword and finally put down the corsair in front:

part239tjxu.png

The remaining corsair doesn't hit, and Arthur's counterattack finds its mark. Elbert injures the mercenary with a spear charge.

part24mvj1g.png

The latter picks up his sword, Elbert dodges, and the counter cripples the mercenary.

part24_1uwjcc.png

Ruby captures him, acquiring a Wind Edge in the process. That takes her to level 6.

part25oij1i.png

Endemic

Arcane
Update 62: Chapter 5-1 - Lumiere (part 3)

Sylvis claims another victim:

part1l3kuf.png

On the next turn, I have another problem. Krishna is moving towards Czene, so Sylvis takes up pursuit.

part2onj0z.png

I opt for a pre-emptive strike; fortunately it works.

part38rkgx.png

As the rest of the team moves out to clear the north, Krishna takes an arrow to the gut:

part49bkdw.png

A short time later, Arthur injures the bolt knife thief with Flourish.

part59yket.png

Leon, Adel and Elbert gang up on the corsair.

part5_18vjy5.png

I forgot Arthur had counter and the thief dies after hitting him. Oops.

part6jjkw3.png

Oh well, he got a level out of it.

part7oljuc.png

Elbert's spear inflicts a fatal wound.

part8q2k69.png

After converging on the remaining pirates, Arthur goes up first since he has counter. Both the archer and a corsair take damage.

part90fjli.png

Izerna patches him up.

part10ivj4z.png

Another one bites the dust.

part11adk52.png

Elbert is hit by a breaker axe, which takes apart his shield (an overlaid animation plays of the item breaking, the end of which is just about visible here).

part120pjqc.png

Ruby's getting a lot of experience in this mission.

part13oekvz.png

The remaining corsair trades for a vulnerary and heals. Elbert provokes him:

part149lkth.png

Elbert softens him up to give Czene some xp, but she misses despite Adept activating. Ruby takes it instead.

part15bukc5.png

Time to deal with Zaiath:

part16gvkdq.png

Is that so? I'll just settle for your corpse then.

Sylvis moves in to attack the guard holding the cell key.

part170nkbj.png

After taking hits, he uses a vulnerary, only prolonging his inevitable demise. Arthur's counter proves to be his undoing:

part185ck7s.png

Zaiath expires as well.

part19lvkyh.png

Ruby gets speed on this level. I'll take it.

part20kojpj.png

Czene unlocks the door to free the prisoners.

part21ytk4e.png

Blonde woman: The door--it's open! Thank you so very much!

Red-haired woman: Freedom at last! Thank heavens you came!

Green-haired woman: ...We're going to do what? Steal a pirate ship?! That one over there, you say...? A-All right, I'll follow you...

part22xejew.png

Lumiere: We just need to make our way over to that pier, correct? Please take care of the others first. I'll be right behind you.

More pirates arrive.

part23fsjeo.png

Corsair: You'll never make it outta this place alive!

No, that'll be you. Sylvis and Arthur ensure that:

part244mj7o.png

Ruby's shield breaks in the ensuing scuffle.

part2575k6f.png

Two down.

part260rkw7.png

Another level for Sylvis.

part27nuk9o.png

The third corsair is punctured by Ruby's sword.

part28f7kbc.png

That wraps up this mission. Join me next time for the ending scenes :)

Endemic

Arcane
Update 63: Chapter 5-1 - Lumiere (ending)

Before leaving, I let Adel talk to Lumiere:

part12qjqc.png

Lumiere: ...Sir Adel? I never imagined that the Sinon Knights would be sent to rescue us.

Adel: ...That was a sudden fall. I trust that you are unhurt?

Lumiere: Y-Yes, I'm fine... I was trembling, and I tripped over by mistake...

Adel: (She's been through a lot... It's no wonder she's trembling. I should do something to help...)

part2hrjwo.png

Adel: I worry for your safety, so knowing that you'll have that key will help to put my mind at ease... Now then, we shouldn't linger here. Let us make our way over to the pier.

part386kkr.png

One boat ride later, Adel and Lumiere arrive at the atelier in Navaron.

part4e3jl6.png

part4_15lkb4.png

Danton: I'm getting choked up?! Speak for yourself, teary-eyes!

Orlando: M-Me?! Teary-eyed? I-I just came back from chopping some onions, that's all!

Lumiere: Mr. Danton... Mr. Orlando... Everyone...I'm so sorry to have worried you like this...

Adel: Lumiere, can I speak to you in private for a moment?

Lumiere: Huh...? Sure...

part5jkjz3.png

Adel: When the others heard about the ransom, they gathered up all this money to get you back...Go ahead, take a look inside.

Lumiere: I-It's so much...

Adel: One hundred thousand denarii... It's really heavy, isn't it? It's mostly small change too. They said they were going to ask people to chip in, but it looks like they paid for it all out of pocket. Everyone here scrounged up every last bit of money they had, and pooled it to get you back.

Lumiere: They did all that for me...? I-I can hardly believe it...Thank you, everyone...

Adel: They really love you here at the atelier, huh? Danton and the others... They'd never say it, but I can tell you're like family to all of them.

Lumiere: Everyone...

Adel returns to the Sinon Knights' base to report his success to Ward.

part6e2jne.png

Ward: Good work, Adel. Now, the citizens will be able to--

He is interrupted by a knocking sound mid-sentence.

Ward: ...Was that a knock at the door?

Tianna: Excuse me, sirs... A guest from the atelier has come to pay us a visit.

Ward: ...From the atelier? Please see them in.

Tianna: Yes, sir.

part7mqks7.png

Lumiere: Good afternoon, Sir Ward. I wanted to thank you in person for rescuing me from those pirates.

Ward: I see... What is that package there?

Lumiere: It is a gift for you, as thanks from all of us at the atelier. We couldn't have made it through this trouble if it weren't for you.

Ward: I am simply happy to see that you are alive and well, Miss Lumiere.

Lumiere: Still, I believe I speak for all of us at the atelier when I express my sincere gratitude to you. As a token of our appreciation for all you've done for us and our city, we want you to have this.

part6_1thkju.png

Lumiere: Please, General Ward. Do accept it, otherwise Mr. Danton may take it the wrong way...

Adel: I agree, General. It would be rude not to accept such a sincere offer.

Ward: Well... Perhaps you're right... Very well. I will give it to Lord Reese later.

Lumiere: Thank you very much!

part8h9k9w.png

Lumiere: Now then, Sir Adel...

Adel: ...Huh?

She beckons him to join her in the courtyard outside.

part10udkwo.png

Lumiere: This charm of yours protected me throughout the whole battle...

Adel pauses for a short while, pondering how to explain the 'charm'.

Adel: ...I have a confession to make. That's not a good luck charm. It's just the key to my room.

:lol: Very smooth, Adel. Who taught you that?

part10_1lwkx1.png

Adel: ...I did, but...But I truly wanted... I wanted you to have it.

He is met with a confused look.

Lumiere: .....E-Er... I'm sorry, but...If that is the case, then I cannot accept this... I will give it back to you.

Adel: Ah...I'm sorry... I said something foolish...

Lumiere: .....

I can only imagine how crestfallen he must be at this point. :P

As for the atelier's gift, the main gauche (French for "left hand") was a parrying dagger: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parrying_dagger#Main-gauche

Appropriately, it provides the Parry skill in Berwick Saga.

part9nhkys.png

It's of limited use until you get a thief to level 10 and boost their knife skill, as statistically it's nothing special. Since I'm already wanting to promote Czene, she'll have first dibs on it.

Time to collect the bounty on Krishna:

part112fkt5.png

Current status of the bounty list.

part12c8k9m.png

part13mvj7e.png

part14jojyn.png

In the next update I'll be discussing crafting, including the current progress on collecting materials. With a total of 10 orbs\potions available, in addition to 20 weapons\shields, there's a lot to cover. :)

Last edited:

Endemic

Arcane
Update 64: Chapter 5 - Crafting discussion (part 1)

There are currently 9 crafting materials for sale (the last being Ash Wood priced at 1128):

part15kj6g.png

I'll go over the ones not currently in inventory.

Opal - Tempest Knife, Blizzard
Pantaz Steel - Adrasteia, Swift Spear
Ruby - Harperia, Earthblaze
Ash Wood - Greatlance, Angon

Materials currently in storage:

Argentum - Harperia, Rapid Crossbow
Gale Shard - Tempest Knife, Blizzard
Ancient Amulet x2 - Earthblaze, Blizzard, Dire Thunder
Lightstone - Fortify, Pacify, Escape
Simurgh Down - Escape, Strength Potion
Soma - Strength\Magic Potion
Surab Fluid - Strength\Defence Potion
Pajuta Grass - Magic\Defence Potion
Sun Shard - Infernal Edge, Earthblaze
Flame Dust - Infernal Edge, Hestia
Boar Pelt - Colichemarde, Dark Shield
Eye of Balor - Grimhild, Apeiron
Antelope Pelt - Angon, Tabarzin
Sinon Steel - Tabarzin, Hestia
Storm Shard - Mjollnir, Dire Thunder
Bull Pelt - Mjollnir, Hestia
Ariadne Thread - Rossweisse, Apeiron
Yew Wood - Rossweisse, Apeiron
Nottos Iron - Aiantos, Dark Shield
Garnet - Aiantos, Escape
Winch - Ollerus, Rapid Crossbow
Steel Wire - Ollerus, Rapid Crossbow

As you can see, every material overlaps at least once. Given that some of them drop much later in the campaign than others, you're going to need to decide which equipment is worth crafting early. There is also a fixed fee for each item (unaffected by reputation discounts).

Magic orbs

part284k87.png

Earthblaze is notable for being the only 2-range fire spell you have access to. Requirements: Ruby, Ancient Amulet and Sun Shard.

part3kdknm.png

Blizzard is wind magic with the useful attribute of causing injuries more often, as well as a respectable 70% base hitrate. Requirements: Gale Shard, Ancient Amulet and Opal.

part42wk00.png

Dire Thunder provides an extra strike vs the basic thunder spell, but has much lower availability (only 2 orbs total). Requirements: Storm Shard, Ancient Amulet and Lapis Lazuli.

part5gzjhk.png

Fortify heals up to 8 allies in a 3-hex radius per use (9 or more will consume 2 MP). To my knowledge, crafting this orb is the only way to get the spell. Requirements: Lightstone, Wyvern Pearl, Amber.

part6jhj7q.png

Escape can come in handy on maps that require you to withdraw within a turn limit. Owen starts with one of these, so you can get 12 uses in total. Requirements: Lightstone, Simurgh Down, Garnet.

part7zcjz8.png

Craft this if you want Izerna to cure the status, or Owen's starting pacify orb has been depleted. Requirements: Lightstone, Wyvern Pearl, Lapis Lazuli.

part8r8ja7.png

Repairstone is moderately limited, with 50 total uses available. Though for practical purposes it's 40, given how late the final 10 show up. Crafting it at the atelier gives 10. The number of uses to repair a weapon or shield scales based on its value, with the maximum for a full repair being 8. Requirements: Obsidian, Mithril Dust, Amalgam.

Potions

part9lujt7.png

Not much to say here. Due to sharing materials with the magic potion, it's recommended to delay crafting this. Requirements: Soma, Surab Fluid, Simurgh Down.

part106vkum.png

Magic +1 doesn't sound like much, but it's very important for a later promotion. More on that in Chapter 6. Requirements: Soma, Pajuta Grass, Sapphire.

part115aj3i.png

Again, pretty standard statbooster. I usually leave this for last. Requirements: Surab Fluid, Pajuta Grass, Linden Wood.

Weapons

part127nkxl.png

The Infernal Edge is probably the best magic sword in the game, although it doesn't have too much competition in that respect. The last material for this (Zerika Steel) isn't available for a while. Additionally, you'll need a Longsword, Sun Shard and Flame Dust.

part13pxkgn.png

Colichemarde is basically a souped-up Rapier, much like its real-life counterpart (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colichemarde). The complete set of materials won't be obtainable for some time, though. Requirements: Rapier, Mithril Sheet, Platinum, Boar Pelt.

part1468k08.png

Grimhild, aside from being a mythology reference (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grimhild) is tied for most accurate sword with Estoc. The crit chance stacks with Faye's Sunder skill, so you have almost 50:50 odds with her. As with the Colichemarde, full material availability is later in the campaign. Requirements: Broadsword, Eye of Balor, Wolf Pelt, Gold Dust.

part152lk34.png

Harperia takes the Scimitar and improves it in every way, making for a very powerful, durable and accurate weapon. Requirements: Scimitar, Zerika Steel, Argentum, Ruby.

Last edited:

Endemic

Arcane
Update 65: Chapter 5 - Crafting discussion (part 2)

Weapons (continued)

part1658ji8.png

Adrasteia is a direct upgrade to the Bastard Sword, with the same skill requirement. That is, only blade users can equip it: Volo, Sherpa, Faramir, Marcel. Faye and Kramer can use it after promotion. I don't prioritize this, because Pantaz Steel is needed for the Swift Spear. Requirements: Bastard Sword, Gurras Steel, Lion Pelt, Pantaz Steel.

part1708jb1.png

The Greatlance is an all-round improvement to the Iron Lance. Only usable by Clifford for the time being, Adel and Leon can equip it after promotion. I don't use lances much, so I prefer to craft Angon first. Requirements: Iron Lance, Meteoric Iron, Ash Wood, Tiger Pelt.

part18v3j8x.png

The Angon combines a melee spear with the ability to throw it at 1 range if needed (it's automatically retrieved). The crit chance is a nice bonus. Requirements: Iron Spear, Antelope Pelt, Ash Wood, Mithril Sheet.

part19lykpz.png

Brionac is a Longspear upgrade that boosts accuracy and damage. The +5 resistance to dark magic is situational, but can come into play in the latter stages of Berwick's campaign. I'd suggest waiting until after you have the Swift Spear built. Requirements: Longspear, Meteoric Iron, Amalgam, Jugud Wood.

part20uxkgc.png

While the second strike doesn't get a charge bonus, the Swift Spear still puts out a lot of damage. The only drawback is the high rank, which means your knight regulars won't get much out of it for some time. Until then, Clifford or Ward can utilize it as a primary weapon. Requirements: Mithril Spear, Pantaz Steel, Lion Pelt, Jugud Wood.

part218mj8q.png

Tabarzin isn't the most accurate axe, but two hits before any potential retaliation should not be underestimated. I'd definitely craft this first over Hestia, although keep in mind that it shares a material with Grimhild as well. Requirements: Broadaxe, Sinon Steel, Antelope Pelt, Gold Dust.

part22iekqm.png

Mjollnir is something that's referenced often in games, but here it's an axe with bonus magic damage. It's devastatingly effective in conjunction with Dean's desperation skill. Requirements: Iron Axe, Storm Shard, Bull Pelt, Linden Wood.

part237rkbs.png

Gullveig is best used as a throwing axe that lasts longer than the hatchet\hand axe\etc. Not essential, especially given that it directly competes with Colichemarde for the first Platinum drop. Requirements: Bandit Axe, Platinum, Wolf Pelt, Gurras Steel.

part24w6k25.png

A pretty good way to boost the combat ability of Czene and\or Thaddy. However, I prefer using Mithril Dust to get extra Repairstone first over the Tempest Knife, as the second drop is several chapters later. Requirements: Dagger, Gale Shard, Mithril Dust, Opal.

part25tnkh2.png

Apeiron is a great way to boost your capturing opportunities early on. That said, crafting it now delays Rossweisse by a chapter, and Grimhild until you get Faye's mission. Requirements: Composite Bow, Yew Wood, Ariadne Thread, Eye of Balor.

part263bkri.png

Rossweisse is the most accurate bow available, and as a bonus gives the user +5 resistance to magical attacks (the magic stat is not added to weapons' elemental damage). A good target for some of your repairstone. Requirements: Longbow, Yew Wood, Ariadne Thread, Sapphire.

part27c0k3y.png

Ollerus has the unique utility of being the only 0-2 range crossbow, with health leeching in addition. On the other hand, the Rapid Crossbow is better at dealing raw damage. Whichever you craft first will delay the other significantly. Requirements: Iron Crossbow, Winch, Steel Wire, Amber.

part28vmja2.png

An upgrade of the Chu-ko-nu, the Rapid Crossbow is the closest thing to a machinegun in this game. Load it up with mithril arrows and watch enemies get deleted in a single attack. Or, use elemental arrows against armoured targets and wyverns. Requirements: Chu-ko-nu, Winch, Steel Wire, Argentum.

Shields

part29zikaj.png

Aiantos is highly situational, because there are usually better ways to deal with the projectiles it blocks. I suppose Larentia would like it, since ballistae will no longer be able to one-shot her, and she can only use small shields anyway. Requirements: Kiteshield, Nottos Iron, Tiger Pelt, Garnet.

part30m7jyz.png

Hestia is appropriately a fire-based shield, given the reference to the Greek goddess of the same name. Not really something I'd craft early over Tabarzin, so it won't likely see much use in my playthrough. Requirements: Square Shield, Flame Dust, Sinon Steel, Bull Pelt.

part31vsjez.png

Finally, we have the Dark Shield, which is very underwhelming given the material requirements. You do get the Armsthrift skill for Reese when all weapons and shields are crafted, but besides that it's rather useless. Requirements: Aspis, Obsidian, Boar Pelt, Nottos Iron.

One other thing I forgot to mention in part 1: you get 10 additional repairstone for completing all of Lumiere's projects, though the earliest you can do that is Chapter 12.

In the next update, I'll be preparing for Chapter 5-2, and crafting a weapon. Stay tuned :)

Last edited:

Endemic

Arcane
Update 66: Chapter 5-2 - Mountain Hunt (part 1)

part12xjdl.png

part2f7kjc.png

Weyl: I know you will be displeased with me once you hear it, but... Several of the Imperial prisoners we had under guard have escaped from custody.

Reese: Escaped?!

Weyl: ...We've made a terrible blunder, sir. I take full responsibility. We were having them work on the road through Lexa Pass, when suddenly a boulder fell and blocked it off! The escort guards rushed out to check on the prisoners, but then...

Reese: They'd taken their chance and made a break for it, I presume?

Weyl: Yes, sir. In the struggle to recapture them, one of our guards tumbled off the cliff and was gravely injured. All of the prisoners are still at large, as well.

part3tnkoh.png

Reese: If we do not recapture those men, we will lose leverage to negotiate for the return of our own prisoners. I'll assign one of my subordinates to lead a capture party after them.

Weyl: I'm sorry to have to ask this of you, Lord Reese... Oh, and please tell your soldiers to take care when they go to Lexa Pass. It has no shortage of marauders prowling about the area...

part4hyj60.png

I'll bring Faye (for 550) along to train her some more. Czene used up almost all her weapons in the last chapter, she gets a new dagger for 564 denarii. Elbert is also needing more equipment; I don't want to use up the other prototype shields yet, so he gets a Buckler (752). He also receives a set of Verutums (940). Finally, I spend 940 on a new iron spear to give to Ruby.

part4_2lbkr6.png

On my previous playthroughs I've always crafted Rossweisse first instead of Apeiron, so this time I'm trying the latter. With the materials already in storage, it just costs the 900 commission fee.

With that done, I'll assemble the party:

part5m1j48.png

Unusual to have Ruby's shield skill higher than weapon skills, but the AI did like targeting her in the last mission. I'll probably switch her to the shortsword, since capturing is the objective here.

part11c9ke3.png

Larentia will be very helpful for this mission with her mercy skill, and the earlier bonuses from the Kingfisher mean she can survive an additional hit from generic enemies. I gave her the pilums that Elbert had left over from 5-1, since he's now switched to verutums.

part65hkpl.png

Elbert's a bit under-leveled for verutums, but the failure chance is only 10%, which will soon reduce to 5% given how close he is to level 9.

part70nkxr.png

Czene can get some easy experience here from capturing, and take care of the usual thief duties as needed.

part83rjg6.png

Arthur's always a good pick for this type of scenario, given he can boost injury rate by 33 every 4 turns with flourish.

part9wxkvu.png

May as well take Izerna along to save on vulneraries.

part104gkmx.png

Faye's cutlass is looking rather worn, so it's being supplemented by a pair of basic swords. She's still only at level 5, I need to get a move on with training her.

part127kjhz.png

Sylvis will have the honour of taking Apeiron into battle.

Onward to the pass:

part136hju5.png

There are a few local thugs across the shallows to the north, and the road narrows at a chokepoint to the east. Could be a good ambush site. The escaped Imperial soldiers we need to capture all start injured, except one who is crippled.

part16vtkh6.png

part175ujly.png

This guy looks like the VIP mentioned in the mission description, probably an officer of some kind. He also has the Counter skill.

part18isjj0.png

Further east, there's a chest by the southern forest, and a tower near the river.

part14fxk93.png

This is a suspiciously low number of marauders. There's also an escape point to the northeast, which is probably where the Imperials will be headed.

part1536kor.png

The brigand has a devil axe and battle cry, while this archer could also be problematic.

part19iqjma.png

Feruz, who has a bounty on his head, is the leader of this group:

part20n1k11.png

part21b5ksj.png

With that skillset and his equipment, he's going to be annoying to fight. The nearby escape point implies he might make a run for it if injured\crippled.

Last edited:

Endemic

Arcane
Update 67: Chapter 5-2 - Mountain Hunt (part 2)

After a bit of repositioning, it's time to start the mission.

part112k7p.png

part2p5kcv.png

Fugitive: They aren't much, but I think we can manage with these for now.

Helcut: Excellent! Let us continue on across the valley! We just have to make it into Imperial-occupied territory, and then we'll be saved!

Fugitive: Sargeant Helcut! Enemy forces have been sighted pursuing us from the rear!

Helcut: Damn it all, they're here already..? We'll never outrun them at this rate... We'll just have to take a gamble and meet them head on. The Imperial Border Guard should be close to this area - I'll find some way to signal our position to them! Everyone, hold on until the border guards come to help us!

part38gkml.png

Helcut: Ah, that's right! There's a signal beacon just downriver...!

Meanwhile, Feruz is talking to his men:

part4y0je2.png

Feruz: Everyone, get to your positions...but don't get any clever ideas! Don't start any fights unless you want your pay docked!

part56rk5g.png

Minor translation error there (probably leftovers from the initial UI-only patch), it should say "fugitives". Anyway, what this screen doesn't tell you is that you get a better reward for capturing some (or all) of the fugitives.

For my first move, I send Larentia to deal with Helcut, before he signals for help. Unfortunately, he dodges the pilum thrown at him:

part629k7h.png

A pair of Imperial bowmen come out of their hiding spots in the trees to attack Larentia. The arrows fail to hit their target.

part7m9j46.png

Sylvis takes point on the ground, and uses Apeiron to successfully cripple the nearest spearman:

part89tjov.png

part96wjl8.png

Of course, it's a lot easier to cripple someone that's already injured.

Arthur and Ruby gang up on the next one to accomplish the same. The former uses his shield to shrug off a spear charge:

part10ykkvo.png

His buckler breaks from the impact, though. Since Arthur has counter, the Imperial pays for his mistake:

part11a1jsx.png

So far so good, 4 of the fugitives are effectively disabled for capture. Feruz's archer notices Ruby stopped in his range, and aims an arrow in her direction. Her shield mitigates some of the impact.

part12wukdr.png

The remaining part of my taskforce closes in. On turn 2, I opt to have Izerna heal pre-emptively in case Ruby doesn't block the next shot.

part13ozkou.png

Only a couple levels until promotion now.

part147yjzc.png

As it turns out, that archer doesn't hit Ruby anyway. The Imperial bowmen go back on overwatch from their new positions:

part15j5kch.png

Larentia won't be affected, since overwatch only activates when an opponent enters the unit's range from outside.

Ruby captures the spearman next to her, leveling up in the process.

part16hbk6w.png

She draws attention from one of the remaining injured spearmen, but dodges and counterattacks. Czene avoids an overwatch shot, then captures the next Imperial:

part17qhkmz.png

Arthur switches to his shortsword to cripple the spearman that just attacked Ruby. He is successful, allowing Faye to swoop in and retrieve the enemy.

part18vikhl.png

Helcut is about to reach the river to signal Imperial reinforcements. Over on the road, Sylvis secures another fugitive:

part19m5j3k.png

Elbert chases two more that are trying to escape.

part20fajjz.png

Larentia attacks Helcut non-lethally, leaving him vulnerable to capture next turn. The spearman on the bridge tries to ward off Elbert, but no avail.

part2189kfy.png

On turn 3, the Imperial nearest the escape point is seized, resulting in a level-up:

part22vejmo.png

Ruby is still under arrow fire, but stands her ground for the moment. Czene evades overwatch shots again and tries to weaken the last able spearman. Unfortunately she does superficial damage, leaving her opponent capable of fighting.

Larentia dives in for a non-lethal strike, but this time her aim is not true.

part237ejye.png

Sylvis tries a long-range shot but is also wide of the mark. The bowman then takes aim at Ruby, leaving her winded:

part24b1kg6.png

Arthur rides in and retaliates, putting said bowman out of action.

part25xckf6.png

Last edited:

Endemic

Arcane
Update 68: Chapter 5-2 - Mountain Hunt (part 3)

part1ockhm.jpg

Since this spearman has 2hp left and I wasn't able to cripple him, Faye cuts him down instead:

part2h9jel.jpg

Getting there.

part3u9khi.jpg

Physic's range comes in handy.

part4i6k84.jpg

One more captured.

part537j96.jpg

Larentia attempts to wound the second bowman, who evades the attack. Unfortunately, further hits don't result in any injuries being inflicted.

Ruby trots over on horseback to apprehend Helcut:

part6ptjg1.jpg

I begin repositioning to deal with Feruz. On turn 4, Imperial troops arrive.

part754jmc.jpg

Imperial Knight: Was that rumour of escaped prisoners from the Berwick League true?

Axe Guard: Commander, should we not be making haste toward the signal?

Imperial Knight: Not so fast, soldier. Tell everyone to watch themselves. This place is swarming with bandits. Avoid contact with the locals and focus on rescuing any escapees.

Axe Guard: Yes, sir!

These guys are much stronger than the fugitives we just dealt with, so I think discretion is the better part of valour here.

part8z4j79.jpg

part971jw9.jpg

Elbert regroups with the others, taking an arrow hit in the process but blocking most of the damage. Czene takes care of the last fugitive:

part100ejkd.jpg

The rescue party takes notice.

part11kojfn.jpg

Imperial Knight: All right, men! Back to base camp!

Axe Guard: Yes sir!

As they begin to withdraw, several brigands emerge from the forest in the northwest.

part12q4jkb.jpg

Sylvis injures the nearest one, but he takes a vulnerary from his boss and heals.

part13iqjc3.jpg

Arthur and Faye remove his friend.

part14tckva.jpg

Next turn, Sylvis takes up an overwatch position, hidden from view in the nearby trees:

part15g3jep.jpg

A previously hidden thief walks straight into her line of fire, and dies to a single well-placed arrow.

part16lfkhq.jpg

He also drops a knife for Erzheimer's collection.

part17h1jh7.jpg

Arthur moves in to engage the nearest brigand, then Feruz finally leaves his position and joins the fray.

part1818jzj.jpg

part19ohjlk.jpg

Uh-oh...

part20dek00.jpg

Luckily, Faramir arrives to the rescue again. Faye will instead be crippled for the rest of the chapter.

part21ikkuz.jpg

Larentia gets a spear hit in, as the rest of the brigands advance towards Sylvis and Arthur. The latter gets to make use of the counter skill during the melee.

On the next turn, Elbert provokes Feruz to distract him:

part22gljjc.jpg

Arthur sends a brigand to the grave.

part2333kzg.jpg

Another kill for our lady sniper.

part24vtj4o.jpg

Last edited:

Endemic

Arcane
Update 69: Chapter 5-2 - Mountain Hunt (part 4)

As the clash with Feruz and his men continues, one of the brigands takes a vulnerary:

part1edjrr.jpg

Arthur's second hit with desperation fails, and then Elbert is injured, so Izerna steps in.

part222k6i.jpg

Czene discovers a stash of gold.

part38kjhy.jpg

Another one bites the dust.

part4p3j4m.jpg

The swordsman takes Larentia's pilum to the chest and expires:

part50ujzh.jpg

Strike three.

part6p4j1d.jpg

part7ngjkx.jpg

After an intense battle, just Feruz himself is left.

part8ink8j.jpg

He tries to run, but Elbert and Larentia throw a few spears at him to prevent that.

part103djw8.jpg

Not bad.

part11ewkcm.jpg

The bag that was sitting next to Feruz turns out to have a crafting materal in it.

part12k1jot.jpg

Time to leave.

part134ckbm.jpg

Back at the castle dungeon:

part147uknt.jpg

Weyl: Thanks to you, I was able to keep this disaster from getting out of hand.

Reese: I did not do anything personally. Save those words for my soldiers the next time you see them.

Weyl: I will, sir. I know it may not have been very important to them, but it was to us. Here, we all pooled together what we could to say thanks.

part15t5kdj.jpg

part16ygk52.jpg

Reese: What do you mean, Tianna?

Tianna: Our scouts investigated the origin of the rock that caused the incident. It was reported that signs of human tampering were clearly seen on the cliffside above the pass.

A look of concern grows on Reese's face.

Reese: .....

Tianna: Not only that, but after the prisoners made their escape, one of the guards went missing in action... However, the reports say nothing of the guard being taken hostage by any of the fugitives. What's more, there was one more fugitive witnessed than were reported to have gone missing...

That explains the guy who was already crippled at the start of the mission. He was the guard Weyl said had fallen off the cliff. Seems that he was possibly a spy for the Empire.

part174jknl.jpg

Reese: Then this entire ordeal with the escaped prisoners was planned?

Tianna: Yes, it seems very likely that this is the case. It is believed this guard may have been ordered by someone to aid the prisoners in escaping.

Reese: That is concerning... However, there is little we can do on mere speculation and circumstantial evidence, I'm afraid. For now, Weyl, I suggest you consider more carefully whom you decide to appoint as your guardsmen.

Weyl: Of course, Lord Reese.

I hand over the knife to Erzheimer:

part18l7jsm.jpg

The guild pays a tidy sum for ending Feruz's existence.

part19gwk6y.jpg

Let's check on Faye briefly.

part20ldkbq.jpg

Faye: But once I'm healed up, I'll be back to my old self again.

I take care of some inventory management, and do the usual end-of-chapter hiring for mercenary happiness (Esteban, Kramer, Derrick and Owen). I also hire Thaddy to contribute to his permanent recruitment.

Speaking of Owen, looks like something important is happening with him:

part21hpj6g.jpg

Hah, of course he'd be flirting with the priestesses.

part22xqkfi.jpg

Sarah: Heehee...

Owen: It has truly been a blessing to be able to speak with you both!

Yumil: Father Owen, you are usually so polite and gentle, but on occasion, I can see a more frightening side underneath...

Owen: Whatever do you mean, milady?

Yumil: Every once in a while, your eyes change, and for a fleeting moment, you seem like a different person...

Owen is taken aback by her comment.

Owen: .....

Yumil: Ah, forgive me... I shouldn't have said something so insensitive...

Owen: Ha ha ha, do not worry... your... selves... Ugh... Gaaah....

part23l0j09.jpg

Uh-oh...

part24s1jyh.jpg

Owen: No... I won't... ...I-I'm all right... I just need to... lie down for a while...

part25pqk2e.jpg

Owen: DO NOT TOUCH ME! ...It's just a little headache. Sorry for startling you...

Sarah: Will you really be all right...?

Owen: Y-Yes... Aaaugh... I'll be...fine...

Yumil: Father Owen...

Meanwhile, High Priestess Quescria has been watching the situation unfold:

part26e0k2s.jpg

Does she know that Owen is originally from the Raze Church?

Endemic

Arcane
Update 70: Chapter 6 - On the Front Lines (Introduction)

part181jjr.jpg

part2pgjw4.jpg

Enid: What are you talking about?! Lebron is only a few days ride away from this city! You could easily send help to her!

Roswick: My soldiers... cannot be spared. Protecting Navaron comes first, and I do not have enough men to protect it and to send to Lebron.

Enid: Don't lie to me, Grandfather! You're just leaving her to die!

Roswick: .....

part36ejf3.jpg

Vanmilion: I would never let any harm come to my dear elder sister.

Roswick: Don't be ridiculous, Vanmilion! You have your orders! His Majesty needs all soldiers to remain here for his protection!

Vanmilion: But...Father...!

Roswick: That's enough from you! Return to your station!

Vanmilion: ...Enid, leave this to me. I'll find a way to save her...

Enid: Uncle Vanmilion...

That exchange ultimately boiled down to pragmatism vs idealism. It's worth noting that Padolf openly accused Roswick of favouring his own relatives back in chapter 3, so that might have further contributed to the latter's decision not to intervene.

part4azkib.jpg

Roswick: But you are a child of Narvia, a realm of warriors and knights. Do not let your pain cause you to bring dishonour upon this house.

Enid: Grandfather...

A short while later, Reese arrives:

part5m8kox.jpg

Roswick: Lord Reese? My apologies, but I am preoccupied at the moment. Whatever it is will have to wait until a later time.

Reese: It cannot wait, Your Grace. I beseech you, please send me to defend the town of Lebron.

Roswick: Lebron?! Who told you of such a...? ...I see. Vanmilion. That selfish fool...

Reese: Duke Roswick, my knights can be ready at a moment's notice! Just give me the order!

part6tqj4y.jpg

part79ckam.jpg

Roswick: The Empire has already surrounded it, and is closing in quickly. With their presence, it is not even possible to get to Lebron.

Enid: Grandfather, I know of a hidden route to enter the town. I will guide Lord Reese there!

Roswick: Enid?!

Enid: Grandfather... if you do nothing else for me ever again, please just allow me to do this! Please, let me go! Grandfather!

Roswick: .....Please forgive Enid. She can be quite stubborn.

part8r0kmn.jpg

Roswick: However, if you cannot both rescue the citizens and escape before the enemy arrives, you must flee. If you do not, then you too will be captured by the Imperial invasion.

Reese: I understand, Your Grace. I shall go and make preparations. Excuse me...

part98sk0x.jpg

Enid: ...and I will have my sword with me, which Father taught me to use.

Roswick: Don't be absurd! The last thing you should be doing on this mission is fighting! Lord Reese is a trained knight, and even for him there is no certainty that he will survive. Do you honestly believe your simple fencing lessons will do you any good?

part105aksj.jpg

Enid: ...Then I...I'll devote my entire being to fighting for his cause!

Roswick: W-What?! No, I forbid it...!

Enid: Excuse me, Grandfather, but I have preparations to make!

As she storms off with a determined posture, Roswick turns to watch her leave.

part119fkvt.jpg

Roswick: (It seems she has grown up to be just like you, Ferianne... Like mother, like daughter... A child of Saint Leia indeed.)

Yes, Enid was actually adopted by House Warrenheit. The exact details of her heritage won't be revealed for some time, so I'll avoid commenting too much on that.

I can certainly understand Roswick being reluctant to let a 15 year noble girl under his care risk her life in combat. That said, it must be even more upsetting for Enid given that Duke Warrenheit died in similar circumstances (Volcens refused to send him more soldiers, per the chapter 3 intro scene).

As Reese returns to the office, Tianna informs him of another letter from Lynette:

part12pojnj.jpg

part13ixkzy.jpg

part14iqk13.jpg

part15m9k4z.jpg

part16uak7t.jpg

Next time, I'll cover the citizen requests and new equipment for this chapter. See you there :)

Last edited:

Endemic

Arcane
It's related on how he only has a limited time on the Battlefield?

He was cursed by the Raze Pope. It's mentioned briefly in Owen's chapter 3 dialogue. There'll be more on that later.

She's the wife of Duke Warrenheit (who died before the start of chapter 4)

Catherine is, yes. There's a cutscene with her at the start of the mission itself that clarifies it.

Endemic

Arcane
Update 71: Chapter 6 - On the Front Lines (Citizen requests)

part16oktm.jpg

part2w1jhk.jpg

Danton: Y-Yeah... Thanks to your help.

Tianna: Is something the matter?

Danton: To be honest, we're coming close to running out of mithril...

Tianna: Mithril? Do you mean the metal?

Danton: You got it. It's only found in tiny veins in the earth, and it's devilishly hard to process properly. Needless to say, the world's always in short supply, but we've got it bad. Recently, we lost contact with the mine that delivers our mithril. Haven't gotten a shipment in ages.

Tianna: I wish there was something I could do to help...

Danton: And what's worse, Lord Vanmilion was just in here... Three guesses what he ordered.

part3eejo0.jpg

Danton: Here I thought I had just enough to make it for him, but it turns out I've barely got the mithril for half that! I've really bitten off more than I can chew this time... Even my last hope failed me.

Tianna: Your last hope?

Danton: I have a backup man named Gonzij who also mines mithril, but he lives in Lebron...

Tianna: Ah, I see. The Imperial invasion in Lebron would certainly put a damper on that plan.

Danton: Oh, it's hopeless...

Tianna: ...No, I believe there is still hope.

part4wuja8.jpg

Tianna: If this man Gonzij is still in Lebron, the Sinon Knights may just run into him during the evacuation. I will request that if they do come across him, that they take the mithril on your behalf and bring it here.

Danton: That's wonderful! You're the greatest, Lady Tianna.

Tianna: I cannot make any promises, but I pray that everything works out well. However, I am sure Lord Reese would certainly be willing to help Lord Vanmilion get his new sword.

Danton: I certainly hope you're right! I wouldn't want to bother Lord Reese with an errand he cares nothing about...

Later at Marybelle's, Tianna encounters a man with an impressive pair of eyebrows asking her for directions:

part50vjqs.jpg

Moniz: What do you mean?

Tianna: The Empire is on its way to invade Lebron as we speak. Within a matter of days, the town will become a battlefield.

Moniz: Oh, how unfortunate...

Tianna: Why did you need to go there?

Moniz: I was actually on my way to pick up a gift for my granddaughter's wedding. After she lost her parents to the war, I took her in and raised her myself. She's such a wonderful girl, and I'm so proud of her. I commissioned a mithril hairpin for her to wear in her wedding dress. She'll look so beautiful in it...

Tianna: That's very sweet of you, but again, going to Lebron would only recklessly endanger your life.

Moniz: If it means being able to give my granddaughter the very best, then it's well worth the risk. I want to do something nice for her, something that I couldn't afford for her when she was young...

part68bkw7.jpg

Moniz: It's at the jeweler's shop. It's already paid for in advance, so it just needs to be picked up.

Tianna: That sounds simple enough. I know of a group of knights who are headed to Lebron very soon. It may not be feasible for them, but I will ask if they would be able to pick up the hairpin for you.

Moniz: You really mean it?!

Tianna: I do not know what kind of situation Lebron is in, so I can't say for sure...

Moniz: Even so, I'm grateful! Thank you so much, for my granddaughter's sake...

Tianna: I pray that the knights will be able to retrieve it for you.

The third and final citizen request involves Reese himself:

part7l3kan.jpg

Barselphon: My name is Barselphon. I have heard many rumours about your impeccable character, Lord Reese. I have been hoping I might be able to run into you here.

Reese: ...Then I presume there is something you wish to talk to me about?

Barselphon: Indeed. I can do nothing about this issue at the moment...but for you, Lord Reese... Well, please listen to my plea. ...But let us not talk here. Please, come to my home.

A short while later...

part8i6jnd.jpg

Reese: Self-imposed exile?

Barselphon: Yes...and that regards what I wish to speak to you about, Lord Reese.

Reese: ...I'm listening.

Barselphon: I am the second son of a lesser nobleman, and I willingly joined the military to participate in the war. As I will inherit neither title nor territory, this was my natural course of action to take, to secure a legacy. There was one who stood by my side throughout it all... Her name was Minas. She was a knight like me. We quickly became friends...

part992khh.jpg

Barselphon: However, one day, our companionship was torn apart...A vile man by the name of Count Theodore fell in love with her at first sight. By this point, Minas and I had begun to question the Raze Army's justice after all the atrocities they wrought... So I decided we should take a chance by running away together to Narvia, far out of the Count's clutches. However, there were reasons that prevented her from leaving...

Reese: These reasons being?

Barselphon: Primarily, it was because her mother was suffering from a terrible illness. Count Theodore took advantage of this weakness and coerced Minas into showing him favour. The more favourably she looked upon him, the better treatment he would arrange for her mother... and eventually, I was replaced.

Reese looks on silently as Barselphon continues his story.

Barselphon: I know Minas is not a bad person. I still believe in her, and I would never want to cause her distress...but Theodore has manipulated her mind with his wickedness. He has forced her into needing him. He's the kind of man who would stop at nothing to keep Minas to himself. If I tried to interfere, who knows what he'd do to Minas's mother just to make her more dependent on him...

part10tdj0d.jpg

Barselphon: I don't know... Go ahead and laugh at me. My misery is a comedic farce... Recently, I have done nothing but while away the hours in lethargy... However... just the other day, I received word from her mother. In her letter, she revealed that she would not be long for this world. On her deathbed, she lamented how Minas suffered from the dangers of the war and of Count Theodore's lust. But here in Narvia, she would be safe, and we could seek our loving future together once again. However, given her own condition and Minas's current state, she was unable to tell her of this.

part11k0kgh.jpg

Barselphon: It's a selfish request, I know... but now that I've gone rogue from the Razite Army, I can't go back. I have no choice but to depend on someone else to perhaps find Minas for me... Everyone in this city tells me that you, Lord Reese of Sinon, are a kind and trustworthy person. I have heard whispers that their company will soon arrive in Lebron. I beg of you, if you happen to come across Lady Minas in battle...

Reese: I understand. I can't go out of my way to do so, but I will pass on your word if the opportunity arises.

Barselphon: That is wonderful to hear! I cannot thank you enough! I knew I could count on you. Here, this will help you...

Reese: ...This is a... net...? You want me to capture her and bring her to you in this...?

Barselphon: Indeed, Lord Reese.

Reese: This seems rather excessive...

Barselphon: As I said, Minas's mind has been manipulated by Count Theodore for many months now. It's regettable, but for her own good, these means will likely be necessary...

part11_1r6k5s.jpg

Yeah, this seems shady. I don't entirely trust Barselphon's story. On the other hand, Reese might be able to question Minas to get her version of events. Let's see what happens.

part11_21okgb.jpg

Something new about Esteban?

part1202jc2.jpg

Marybelle: Esteban...

part132uk77.jpg

<insert Spanish people are lazy cliche here>

Esteban: I'm working hard all the time just doing what I can!

Marybelle: That so? Then why's Arina still working double shifts to cover your sorry behind?

Esteban responds with a look of defeat on his face.

Esteban: ...All right, I got it...

Marybelle: ...Say, General Ward.

part14mgkvn.jpg

Esteban: Fine, whatever... If you want me, I'll be in the guild like usual, General.

That's a cue to hire him and bring him along for the mission, which I'll be doing next update. See you there :)

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Funny how Mithril has become a word for any high-level fantasy metal.

Also, if Barselphon's story is true, he's pretty lame; if he really loved Minas, he would have offered to join you to do it himself.

Endemic

Arcane

It's a LOTR reference here, I think. Same with Faramir. It seems to fit given the LOTR film trilogy was making waves around the time of Berwick's development.

Last edited:

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

It's a LOTR reference here, I think. Same with Faramir. It seems to fit given the LOTR film trilogy was making waves around the time of Berwick's development.

The name Faramir also used in the Japanese version? I thought it was just a choice from the translator.

Regarding names, how do the translation works? Were the names already "European-flavored" in the Japanese version? Or is the translators tried to find European-sounding equivalents?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom