Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Inactive Let's Play EU3 Mare Apertum - Life and Unlife of Vlad Dracula

Discussion in 'Codex Playground' started by Cassidy, Jan 29, 2013.

?

Make your choice:

Poll closed Feb 5, 2013.
  1. Wallachia, to paint Europe red and LARP over a butchered Vampire: The Masquerade canon along it

12 vote(s)
    22.6%
  2. Friesland, to unite the Dutch sodomites against all odds.

3 vote(s)
    5.7%
  3. Bishopric Bremen, to unite the krauts against all odds.

3 vote(s)
    5.7%
  4. Tyrone, to free the Irish people and, like Portugal, forge a colonial empire of their own.

8 vote(s)
    15.1%
  5. Riga, because Latvia deserves better than some kraut tyrants subjugating their people.

6 vote(s)
    11.3%
  6. Tripoli, to become the King of Kings of Africa

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  7. Crimea, to forge a new Mongol Empire over Eastern Europe, Central Asia and beyond

4 vote(s)
    7.5%
  8. Rajputana, to drive the towelheads out of their clay and unite the Hindis under the Wyrmlord dynasty

4 vote(s)
    7.5%
  9. Aymara Kingdoms, to not end as Prisoners of Ice

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Maya, for their civilization to survive even beyond 2012

12 vote(s)
    22.6%
  1. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    Why the fuck are the Mayans winning? I want my vampire LARP shit NAO! Wallachia!

^ Top  
  2. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    Maybe that's exactly why, Storyfag.. :troll:

^ Top  
  3. catfood AGAIN

catfood
    [​IMG]

I don't know why this is even a poll. The course of action couldn't be more obvious: sharpen your poles and show the untermensh hordes what true fear is all about. Let's see if their precious Koran is any help against the Devil himself.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  4. Lindblum Augur

Lindblum
    I want to see how good your Tween writing skills are.

[​IMG]

^ Top  
  5. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    :dead:

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. Delterius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    Maya because stalemate.

^ Top  
  7. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    Err, that vote *produced* a stalemate...

^ Top  
  8. Delterius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    Exactly.

^ Top  
  9. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    Fuck you.

^ Top  
  10. Hellraiser Arcane

Hellraiser
    Vote Tyrone, you have no idea how FUN imperialism is when you're the underdog in the race for colonial real estate. :rpgcodex:

^ Top  
  11. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    Wait, Cassidy is going to LARP some sort of twisted Tzimisce if we play as Wallachia? Hmm, that makes it pretty fucking awesome, even if there was much kebab removal in the Serbia LP.

But yeah, Mayans are kinda boring. The series of events is just slow boring expansion, followed by quick and extremely distasteful rape once the Europeans arrive.

^ Top  
  12. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    I pray to Caine this will be the case. Though good old Vlad isn't very twisted, to be honest. As far as we Tzimisce are concerned, of course. He's quite similar to Stoker's original.

^ Top  
  13. Cassidy Arcane

Cassidy
    Nope. Something much better than that.

Show Spoiler
    After Vlad Tepes dies, because of desecrating a church and impaling several priests due to the fact his wife committed suicide and was inevitably damned, plus his unmatched inhumanity and cruelty, he was, like Cain in VTM fluff, directly cursed by God to rise from the grave as a vampire rather than sired. There were also some Satanic rituals involved to bring him back to life because that is more brutal and tr00. The only clan that will sympathize with him are the Setites who would see Vlad Tepes as Satan's right hand in Earth.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Lindblum Augur

Lindblum
    Nooo the Myans are winning. :decline:

^ Top  
  15. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    Now, if Cassidy really wanted to troll us, he'd pick Tripoli or Aymara, both of which still have zero votes. :smug:

^ Top  
  16. Hellraiser Arcane

Hellraiser
    TYRONEEEEEEEEEEEEEE, vote oirish you bastards!

[​IMG]

^ Top  
  17. Cassidy Arcane

Cassidy
    Because in the Serbia LP I ended with only 22 Government tech in 1820(also due to inflation from being forced to wage one war after another without end and fund it) and equally terribly backwards in several other fields, I made some significant changes compared to standard Mare Apertum to augment my enjoyment of it. If you think it is "cheating" or unbalanced and broken, I don't care, deal with it:

1) Advisor tech bonuses were changed to reduction of tech costs rather than a fixed investment to make their research bonuses useful for more than wealthy One-province minors and small countries. Remember that this and #2 will help the AI not getting behind in tech even more than the player, specially Lucky Nations, while reducing that stupid trend of OPMs being always ahead in every tech. The maximum of these modifiers is a reduction in 2% research costs for each skill level of an advisor for those who gave the highest investments. These bonuses range from 0.5% cost reduction per skill level to 2%

2) Under the same idea, the ADM and MIL skills of monarchs benefits to stability and research also come in the form of cost modifiers rather than direct investment, starting from 1% reduction at the lowest 3 skill for ADM and 0.5% in military research cost for 3 skill in MIL, up to 7% in civilian and 3.5% in military research costs for a 9/9/9 awesome ruler.

3) The Cabinet NI also provides the same bonuses to faster coring and Administrative efficiency as Humanist tolerance. Like Bureaucracy, it requires at least a one point of centralization in the sliders to get the bonus to 10% instead of 5%. The reason I did this is that otherwise it would be by and far the weakest NI after Scientific revolution*.

*Because of the cost penalties for researching tech ahead of time, NIs that have tech cost reduction as the primary benefit are mostly worthless.

4) FRAMED! will only happen to really fuck up, because it is only triggered at the point it would get past the infamy limit, rather than randomly at any time in the stupid way it originally was implemented. Its odds of happening were modified to be more like a bell curve that rises dramatically when one is almost touching the limit, but is ridiculously longer to happen otherwise. Disabling the event altogether like I did before was tempting, but now, without the extra infamy of mandatory REMOVE KEBAB* to balance its absence, I decided to keep it. Yet, it is unlikely to happen unless I really push badboy very close to the limit and eschew all espionage NIs, for their benefit to delay it from happening was also far more significantly improved(MTTH is doubled by each of them). Considering Espionage is broken from excessive nerfing and I don't have the game design skills or will to rebalance it, I think it makes a NI like Espionage much more relevant now.

*I'd have done it as an event instead that always happen every time Srbija conquer a worst turk or raghead province, but doing it as a province decision was easier.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. JagreenLern Erudite Patron

JagreenLern
    MCA Project: Eternity
    I voted Tyrone for whiskey and potatoes, but I'd just like to say that between the main contenders, I support Wallachia, with plenty of Tzimisce references. Their cooler than Setites, and wouldn't it makes sense to just attach the hussars to their horses, maybe even give them REAL fucking wings? But if Tepes is going to be the servant of Satan, why not go with the Baali instead of the Setites?

^ Top  
  19. Average Manatee Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Average Manatee
    I should go back and try out some EU3 mods...

How much does Mare Apertum change things up? Maya for example in Vanilla is BSB easy that requires one roll vs european rape and if you succeed you become instant jewgold and tech leader. Is that changed? If so then Maya, if not then Rajputana.

^ Top  
  20. Cassidy Arcane

Cassidy
    For a start, any province lost to Europeans in a siege instantly becomes theirs. And westernization is more difficult, as is transitioning to a modern rather than tribal government, while the penalties are significantly worse than in vanilla and controlling inflation is also harder.

^ Top  
  21. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Same here. Voted for Riga, but support Vladdie over the Mayans. Lazy fuckers can't be arsed to make a calendar past 2012.

^ Top  
  22. Average Manatee Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Average Manatee
    Meh, doesn't sound much harder. Hows diplomacy changed?

In any case, going with Rajputana. Should avoid the "and for 150 years nothing happened" update on your end.

^ Top  
  23. LusciousPear Savant

LusciousPear
    MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    fuck maya rat diplomacy. I wanna change my vote to VampireCore.

^ Top  
  24. Vaarna_Aarne Notorious Internet Vandal Patron

Vaarna_Aarne
    MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    TRAITORS! SCOUNDRELS! RATS!

GADDAFI ACKBAR!

^ Top  
  25. Esterhaze Augur

Esterhaze

Scientific evolution can be a very powerful idea if taken early, especially if you have a large state. Playing as Bohemia with scientific revolution, I was more than five tech levels above most of the competition in most areas by the 18th century. It’s also a great way to give yourself more leeway with minting: as long as you keep inflation in check (<5%), the biggest downside to minting is tech investment loss, which can be partially compensated for with the idea. I also was able to come back from a huge deficit in neglected naval research partially thanks to the idea (I think the bonus from having more advanced neighbors is capped at +10 or something). Tech isn’t everything, I was like 10 land tech levels ahead of Austria and still couldn’t compete 1:1 in land battles, thanks to Austria’s better generals and large amount of land ideas. But in general, a few levels ahead of any major rival is a very nice advantage.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.