Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Inactive Let's Play EU3 Mare Apertum - Life and Unlife of Vlad Dracula

Discussion in 'Codex Playground' started by Cassidy, Jan 29, 2013.

?

Make your choice:

Poll closed Feb 5, 2013.
  1. Wallachia, to paint Europe red and LARP over a butchered Vampire: The Masquerade canon along it

12 vote(s)
    22.6%
  2. Friesland, to unite the Dutch sodomites against all odds.

3 vote(s)
    5.7%
  3. Bishopric Bremen, to unite the krauts against all odds.

3 vote(s)
    5.7%
  4. Tyrone, to free the Irish people and, like Portugal, forge a colonial empire of their own.

8 vote(s)
    15.1%
  5. Riga, because Latvia deserves better than some kraut tyrants subjugating their people.

6 vote(s)
    11.3%
  6. Tripoli, to become the King of Kings of Africa

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  7. Crimea, to forge a new Mongol Empire over Eastern Europe, Central Asia and beyond

4 vote(s)
    7.5%
  8. Rajputana, to drive the towelheads out of their clay and unite the Hindis under the Wyrmlord dynasty

4 vote(s)
    7.5%
  9. Aymara Kingdoms, to not end as Prisoners of Ice

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Maya, for their civilization to survive even beyond 2012

12 vote(s)
    22.6%
  1. Hellraiser Arcane

Hellraiser
    Commie African Union in Kaiserreich Darkest hour? Oh this one will be good. What is the LARPing excuse for Idi Amin and Gafdaffi forming it before one of them is born and the when the other is just a kid? They use time travel? Djinn? Shut up I'm doing it for the lulz there is no LARP excuse? Nevermind, just noticed the LP got posted.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Goliath Arcane Zionist Agent

Goliath
    I like these changes and I will seriously consider integrating them into the next release. Could you send me the modified files / upload them somewhere?

The direct effects of cabinet are relatively weak yes but this is balanced by the fact that cabinet can be used to unlock multiple advanced ideas. Just sayin'

Magna Mundi/Mare Apertum is not Total War. I mean, remove it for all I care but FRAMED! is an essential part of the game design which is meant to discourage and punish historically implausible crazy warmongering.

Really, people who want to conquer the world as Maya or something should play Vanilla EU3, that's the silly map painter.

Completely different game. Mare Apertum is my personal variant of the famous Magna Mundi mod and while MM uses the EU3 engine it is really a very different kind of game. I don't even like vanilla EU3 . Vanilla EU3 is a map painter (war game) with little else going on. MM has detailed systems for everything from religion to colonial economics. I usually spend 90% of my games doing nothing but micromanaging the economy, religion, colonization, diplomacy etc..

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Goliath Arcane Zionist Agent

Goliath
    There is only one known crash bug in Mare Apertum. Look at the Mare Apertum thread over at the official Paradox forums. I have posted a workaround there. Unfortunately I just cannot locate the source of this problem..

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Cassidy Arcane

Cassidy
    I just needed a pretext to cancel this. All the fluff writing was just too taxing to post and I started to realize this would end looking almost exactly like the Serbia AAR, fluff aside.

Let's say that those changes involve the FRAMED! event triggering only when it will certainly push the infamy beyond the limit no matter how good the DIP skill of the ruler, rather than having a chance of happening even with only 1.02 infamy(which is just stupid), in addition to making the Espionage related NIs more important, and making its odds of happening more of a bell curve. It was an attempt to make it less random, and at the same time, more effective because it only can happen when it'll definitively throw the player into badboy wars.

Plus, what is there to do in this game that involves considerable involvement of the player other than warmongering? Looking at the treasury raising slowly every year, moving sliders and appointing new advisors once in a while and popping rebel moles? Without warfare, simple as it is, Europa Universalis III would be almost a screensaver.

Wallachia was lagging behind the Ottomans because of it(and the vast Ottoman Empire having a large pool of competent advisors too), which means the super hard countries(as in: any minor neighboring kebab) will be even more insanely difficult to play with than before.

Sent a PM with a link.

^ Top  
  5. Goliath Arcane Zionist Agent

Goliath
    I should do an economy focused Let's Play building a filthy rich Portuguese colonial empire, but I don't have the time and energy.

Just one example, you have noticed the advanced building system right? There are a hell lot of buildings and you have to decide what to build where and when - unlike in Vanilla EU3 money is scarce and you won't have enough to just build everything, everywhere. Seriously, have you looked at how expensive some of the top level buildings are? What their requirements are? You might also want to do some math about whether minting / a loan to build this or that building right now instead of in some years will pay off in the end. There are also required buildings, you must plan ahead to avoid the bad events about unhappy traders etc. One of the first things I do when starting a new game is to plan which provinces should be the "urban hubs" which provide the surrounding provinces with the required trade and naval buildings. You have multiple things to consider, some provinces have many adjacent provinces and are thus ideal for this, however, you want those buildings in high value provinces because their effect is relative to the base values of the province, they are also cumulative and thus provinces with a port are preferable i.e. you can build trade and naval buildings in the same province, oh and the higher level buildings require a certain population size thus you must be careful about that too. It's not nuclear science but I find stuff like that entertaining.

Or when I spend public money like Obama on crack early to milk those rare sugar provinces in Europe for all they are worth. Note that sugar is a high value trade good in Europe at the beginning but that the price will collapse later on once all those sugar plantations in Brazil are up. Which brings me to the colonial staple port. You can't really control it but it's always exciting to wait for the message about what trade good a new colony will produce while you wait for that Xth resource of type Y you need to build the staple port. And once you finally have the required resources, the required money, and colony size (that takes a while, with lots of random "Oh yeah!" and "Oh fuck!" moments on the way and more micromanagement) and you can finally build it it's "OMG look at that income! I am rich! Muhuahuhuah!". Then there is all the interaction with natives, pirates, micromanaging religion, the settling of nomads, trade, tribal consolidation, modernization, etc. Seriously, there is so much to do that I have barely time for war. You can still mostly ignore all this stuff and focus on warmongering.. but that means you will be much poorer, more backwards, and less stable than you could be.

I said myself that vanilla EU3 is a map painter. MM is not. Again, as I said, it actively discourages such stuff.

Thanks!

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Major_Blackhart Codexia Lord Sodom Patron

Major_Blackhart
    An interesting LP/

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.