Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play STRIFE ! (Finished.)

Eric The Red

Novice
ghostdog said:
Well, I played it with GZDOOM (which is probably based in ZDoom) and it offered a great variety of extra options and graphical improvements.
I can confirm this for you. GZDOOM and ZDoom are technological equals, with GZDOOM offering an OpenGL renderer which ZDoom lacks. I prefer Skulltag although it does not have all the features of ZDoom, it does have a version of the GZDoom renderer and a client-server style multiplayer.

Awesome LP and great game. This made me want to complete Strife, which I have never done before.

Mindviolence

Novice
Right...

ZDooM is pretty sweet... I never thought to play strife w/ zdoom Because Vavoom supported it first. But now that I'm playing it in Zdoom, you're absolutely right.

schluberlubs

Educated
I usually stick with vanilla Strife in Dos Box.

My problem with ZDoom is that you can die with med packs/patches still in your inventory (as I found out after mis-using a 'nade launcher at 50-ish health). Pity, as it's otherwise an improvement over vanilla.

DraQ

Arcane
Rohit_N said:
I think Doomsday looks the best
I think it looks terrible with OpenGL.
Why? With original resources, but added dynamic coloured lighting, texture/sprite filtering and some extra effects it looks exactly like I imagine it would if the makers had those assets at hand.

You'd need the original source code, which is lost.
ZDoom works without, reverse-engineering FTW.

schluberlubs said:
I usually stick with vanilla Strife in Dos Box.
Doom engine games look terribad in their original form on LCD monitors, plus I'm not the kind of masochistic person to forego freelook, given an opportunity to use it.

Rohit_N

Prophet
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Why? With original resources, but added dynamic coloured lighting, texture/sprite filtering and some extra effects it looks exactly like I imagine it would if the makers had those assets at hand.
I feel all of those things ruin the visuals of the game, but that's just me.

ZDoom works without, reverse-engineering FTW.
Never mind, I was wrong. Randy Heit apparently took the code from the original EXE.

Mindviolence

Novice
Yeah...

I prefer the old look too... But It's still pretty sweet to use the enhancements... I use ZDooM, JDooM, XDooM, Legacy... whatever... They all got their pros & cons. Doom Rules... Play Zdaemon & Skulltag

P.S. I'd like to see Strife in full 3D.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
After popular demand (basically Satori) I've edited a bit Strife's avatars for possible codex use, if DU will do us the favor :

Strife__Geoff.jpg

Strife__Governor.jpg

Strife__Guard.jpg

Strife__Guard_green.jpg

Strife__Guard_orange.jpg

Strife__Harris.jpg

Strife__Ketrick.jpg

Strife__Macguffin.jpg

Strife__Macyl.jpg

Strife__Oracle.jpg

Strife__Programmer_Impostor_1.jpg

Strife__Programmer_Impostor_2.jpg

Strife__Programmer_Impostor_3.jpg

Strife__Richter.jpg

Strife__Rowan.jpg

Strife__Weran.jpg

Strife__computertech.jpg

Strife__sammis.jpg

Strife__technitian1.jpg

Strife__warden.jpg

Strife__worner.jpg

aaaah.jpg

babe-blackbird.jpg

cultist.jpg

faceoff.jpg

hero.jpg

hero2.jpg

shodan-blackbird.jpg

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Great LP. I remember this game getting quite the unfavorable reception when it was released back in the 90s. I only played the demo back then, but even that was enough to call bs on the reviews.

ElectricOtter

DraQ said:
Rohit_N said:
I think he was talking about the bilinear filtering on the sprites, which looks like total ass IMO. That's why I never use GLboom-plus.

Just tried Chocolate Strife-branch beta on my laptop, but it looks like technicolor puke on fullscreen. Apparently it's something to do with Choco Strife's codebase lagging behind the trunk code.

DraQ

Arcane
ElecTriCotter said:
DraQ said:
Rohit_N said:
I think he was talking about the bilinear filtering on the sprites, which looks like total ass IMO.
Toggleable.
:smug:

ElectricOtter

DraQ said:
ElecTriCotter said:
DraQ said:
Rohit_N said:
I think he was talking about the bilinear filtering on the sprites, which looks like total ass IMO.
Toggleable.
True. But Doomsday doesn't run Strife, unfortunately, so you're pretty much stuck with terribad sprites (Vavoom), engine discrepancies (ZDoom), or horrible bugs and shitty res (SvStrife). Fortunately, Quasar and fraggle are working to change this.

DraQ

Arcane
ElecTriCotter said:
DraQ said:
ElecTriCotter said:
DraQ said:
Rohit_N said:
Toggleable.
True. But Doomsday doesn't run Strife
And that's probably its only major weakness*.

*) I mean, just look at this awesome bias lighting!

ElectricOtter

DraQ said:
ElecTriCotter said:
DraQ said:
ElecTriCotter said:
DraQ said:
Rohit_N said:
Toggleable.
True. But Doomsday doesn't run Strife
And that's probably its only major weakness*.

*) I mean, just look at this awesome bias lighting!
To each his own, I guess. I prefer Prboom-plus and Chocolate Doom for all my Dooming needs, and ZDoom or raven-branch for Heretic/Hexen. Odamex is good for multiplayer, but nobody uses it. Too bad, considering that ZDaemon admins are Nazis and Skulltag is synonymous with drama in the Doom community.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom