Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's reap the Princess' bounty in King's Bounty! #1

What speciality shall our pretty princess be?

• Mighty Warrior

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stalwart Paladin

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
CMON START THE MAGIC ALREADY, THE POLL IS WON! And go UNICRON!

Cassidy

Arcane
Warrior Princess Volourn, of course. As for coat of arms:

kb2011-04-1714-10-11-60.jpg

200px-Herb_Polski.svg.png

: x

korenzel

Educated
I played this on Hard with a mage and struggled, but eventually prevailed. The game has far fewer low level mobs that you can train on, expect some seriously tricky fights at the beginning. Warrior is the best of the three, the pet dragon has attacks more powerful than the ultimate spells.

Qwertilot

Novice
Suspect mage maybe most fun. Lots of cute toys. Not sure how easy this is going to be to LP though, as a huge amount of the game is in the details of the battles which could easily take a huge amount of time to capture/explain.

Must admit to always playing normal myself, as I just enjoy trying out fractionally lop sided strategies without any worries. Impossible could be really rather rough. Especially, should it get that far, the bosses. But people do somehow seem to no loss the whole game on it.

Actually that black hole spell they added in in Crossworlds has anything the dragon can do comfortably beaten at high power levels :) Its almost as broken as those ***** goblins....

korenzel said:
I played this on Hard with a mage and struggled, but eventually prevailed. The game has far fewer low level mobs that you can train on, expect some seriously tricky fights at the beginning. Warrior is the best of the three, the pet dragon has attacks more powerful than the ultimate spells.

Mages actually aren't that bad off with the pet. IIRC, the weaker your army compared to the enemy, the faster your rage fills. Seeing how the mage has an army about 30% weaker than the warrior at all times, you get plenty of attacks. You can also fill it by using spells (damage = rage), or by summoning tanks (damage taken = 2x rage). Low rage cap means you might not get the highest power abilities early, but the +rage pet and some early luck with shrines can easily alleviate that.

Plus, in impossible, the best pet spell is often the fairly cheap ball lightning because it does % based damage to enemy stacks and has a good chance to lower enemy speed and initiative to 1 for the round (essentially meaning an enemy melee unit loses a round if nothing is around). It also refills rage as it does damage, unlike the other pet attacks :lol:. If you are lucky enough to get the helm that makes it last longer and have a higher chance to shock it becomes ridiculous.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I tried a mage but I got shit for spells and was all :rage: and gave it up. Randomness it your equipment is no problem really. Randomness in your units can suck a bit but a lot of stuff is guaranteed. Randomness in your spells can leave you completely fucking toothless.

Also, while ball lightning might do bitchin damage on impossible, Summoned troops from the dragon have won me entire battles before, just by chain summoning that shit. And the troop size you get is based on your leadership.

Besides, the advantage of a warrior's specific rage talent isn't the rage cap or gain rate so much, as the minimum rage you start a battle with. If you build your skills and items right, this means you can start every battle off by nuking away a quarter or so of your enemies. Crazy shit, it's like getting massive amounts of free mana at the start of every fight. Plus you never have to worry about finding some peon to fight and build your rage on before you tackle a tough foe so you don't go in with 0 rage.

Twinkle

Liturgist
So I accidentally click on a thread title that almost looks like "Let's rape the Princess", and all I get is some shitty badge discussion. :decline:

torpid

Liturgist
I was thinking about buying this game from GoG, so this will be a good LP to follow. And choose the unicorn emblem obviously.

Another vote for our stalwart bunny heraldry. :salute:
And for Mage, just in case.

Hoping this will be more fun than KB:TL.

Update #1 - ITZ here!

~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~

J3tp0.jpg

Throughout the past decade peace has reigned in the world of Endoria. A treaty was signed between the Humans, Elves and Orcs and a union of equals led by King Mark Lenard the Wise brought to peaceful resolution of all conflict across the land. The valiant knight, Bill Gilbert, having sent Endoria on its happy course became mentor to the young Princess Amelie, training her in the military arts. And as time passed the princess grew into a fine young women and Sir Gilbert was called to leave the peaceful shores of Endoria in search of new worlds.

But peace is always fragile; the fearsome Archdemon Baal, once banished into the abyss by our famous knight, had meanwhile been undergoing his trials at the gates of hell. His form finally regained, Baal opened a portal into the world of Endoria and, within an instant, countless hordes of Demons came pouring through destroying all that was in their path. The Elves and the Dwarves were the first to fall, having but little defense against such an overwhelming force. The loyal troops of King Mark were likewise quickly exhausted and the battle-weary survivors withdrew to the capital of Kronberg to mount a desperate last stand. In a few short but terrible hours, catastrophy had brought the world of Endoria to the very brink of annihilation.

KHr8v.jpg

vOoqX.jpg
: (Urgent? Please, what could a little Demon do to a pretty princess?)

fM0mK.jpg

vOoqX.jpg
: (That's... big. I'm sure our Archmage's can handle it though, so let's see what Iron Richard thinks of the situation.)

iivLd.jpg

zy6yD.jpg
: Amelie! What are you doing in this area? You should be within the castle walls, safe and sound. Your father has been seeking you high and low these past hours. I'm not your mentor, but I can still spank you just as well, though you be the princess and a grown woman... (Iron Richard, despite being advanced in age, remains one of the best Knights of Darion. No wonder your father handed him the Marshall's Baton!)

vOoqX.jpg
: (You would enjoy that, wouldn't you? :roll: ) Is father really looking for me?

zy6yD.jpg
: Did you not hear the herald yell out your name? Hurry to the palace, before your father grows angry...

vOoqX.jpg
: Do you think he have any chance?

zy6yD.jpg
: Yes, Your Highness! The magicians will create a powerful new spell, or your true father - one of the gods Endoria - will intervene... or we will rejoice as the Searcher returns from his journeys, or perhaps Baal will catch cold - you see how many miracles can save us? Unfortunately, our only hope is miracles... Pray for us, Princess. We must withstand this onslaught, at any cost!

vOoqX.jpg
: And what of our allies? The elves, the dwarves! Does no one come to our aid?

zy6yD.jpg
: We do not wish to sow paic, but you, Princess, deserve to know the whole truth. Besides a small group of dwarves no one has managed to reach us. According to our intelligence reports, the power of the elves and dwarves is completely destroyed, and they are unable to provide us with any military assistance. Therefore, we can rely only on ouselves. And wait for a miracle... It is the only thing that can save us.

vOoqX.jpg
: (Are miracles really are only hope? I'd better go see Father Kriterion.)

va7zM.jpg

vOoqX.jpg
: Can I help the wounded in any way?

SFePR.jpg
: Our priests and healers are doing everything in their power, but... it seems the gods have turned their backs on us, and we can only pray. Pray, Your Majesty! Pray like you never have done before... But I should warn you, you are wanted by your father! I think you had better hurry to the palace, so as not to rouse the anger of His Majesty...

vOoqX.jpg
: I will pray for the wounded. Farewell, Father. (Well that was no help! Maybe Tregum, the dirigable pilot will be able to help.)

EWlj9.jpg

UmwoZ.jpg
: I am still in one piece, thanks to our magician. I picked myself up, and dusted myself off... But my airship - oh, what a sight! As if it had crashed hadlong into a wall... Like a wounded bird, it plummeted down, straight from the heaven to earth - ahh, what a terrible crash. Argh... And there was a keg of pilot's ale on board, that hadn't even been uncorked!

vOoqX.jpg
: (The loss of his airship has clearly unhinged him. I'd better go to the palace.)

6Sk0g.jpg

3MWK0.jpg
: Yes. Just outside the walls of Kronberg stands Baal's army, and we have nothing with which to oppose them. Tomorrow our magicians will lose their strength, and then demons will storm the castle. Therefore, I make of you two requests. I hope you will understand me and will not stand against the royal will?

vOoqX.jpg
: That will depend on what you ask of me.

3MWK0.jpg
: First, as a father, I must protect you. Tonight a dwarven airship arrives. It will bring you to our people in Murok... To our knowledge, this is the only land that has not suffered from the demon invasion. Of course there are the orcs of Murok to content with, but we have recently signed a peace treaty with them. With you will fly a platoon of the Royal Guard, under orders to protect you...

vOoqX.jpg
: (To Murok? I hope not! It is horribly murky there!) Thank you, Father, for your concern, but I do hope that Kronberg will stand. We must protect our native home, not escape from it!

3MWK0.jpg
: Worthy words. I am proud that my daughter has grown so bold, and so optimistic. I hope you maintain those qualities no matter what happens in the days ahead. However, this is not open to discussion. You are the only successor to the throne, and must be kept safe at all costs. As King, it is my duty to share the fate of the people, to whom I must answer.

vOoqX.jpg
: And what is your second request?

3MWK0.jpg
: Remember the Clock of TIme, which was left to you by Bill Gilbert, when he left for Teana?

vOoqX.jpg
: (I've always kept it on me.) Yes, of course. I have it here with me. I promised to keep it until his return, though I do not understand why he left it with me.

3MWK0.jpg
: Everything has its meaning, Amelie. This was not left to you as a simple toy. This magical clock belongs to the Guardian of Time, who is sealed in Gilbert's Chest of Rage. These clocks change the pace of time around you. When you feel poorly, time is accelerated that you may quickly recover, and when you are well, time slows down so that you can enjoy every second.

vOoqX.jpg
: It sounds incredible - but how is it that I never noticed before?

aOorE.jpg

vOoqX.jpg
: (I suppose I'd better talk to Shivarius then...)

hITQ2.jpg

ZDoJ1.jpg
: Yes, very good. I require the aid of its magic to return Bill Gilbert to us. He is our final hope.

vOoqX.jpg
: I have no doubt that he could help us. Bow how will the Clock of Tiem enable you to do this?

ZDoJ1.jpg
: Princess, you'll see it with your own eyes. I ask you to follow me, Your Highness.

hyoSZ.jpg

ZDoJ1.jpg
: Well, Princess, I can only tell you what I understand. You probably know that before Bill Gilbert left on his latest quest, I spoke with the Guardian of Time, from his famous chest. The Guardian explained to me the substance of time. These hour-glasses are the souls of the guardians; without these receptacles, the guardian is nothing but an amorphous substance, incapable of existence in our world. When one of these hour-glasses overflows, the soul of that guardian is reborn. Do you understand?

vOoqX.jpg
: (That all went over my head...) Yes, I think I understand, please continue.

ZDoJ1.jpg
: So. If you break an hour-glass, the sand will cascade into our world, bringing with it a cataclysm! hole will be torn in time and space, a hole that links our world with the world of the Guardian of Time. I intend to pass through this hole and travel to the other world, which should be where Bill Gilbert is currently. I will find him, and return him to our world.

vOoqX.jpg
: And if you do not have enough time to get back?

ysAcG.jpg

ZDoJ1.jpg
: What are you doing, Princess?! I can read the spell, but I cannot use the portal, if you...! The mage is caught by surprise... The Clock hits the ground and... disappears, only to re-apear above the mage's head. Shivarius raises his staff, trying to catch the artifact, buthe is too late... A strong force pierces the space all around you, and the tips of your fingers sting as if the threads of a marionette puppet had suddenly been pulled from them. Only in this case it is time itself being wrenched away...

vOoqX.jpg
: (I've always wanted to go on an adventure!) Do not worry, archmage. I will go for Bill Gilbert. Read the spell until time stops!

DzzPO.jpg

jA9Xj.jpg

vOoqX.jpg
: (I hope I haven't made a huge mistake here...)

IFM6J.jpg

zqXmC.jpg

JljQN.jpg

vOoqX.jpg
: (Wow. What are the chances that it would send me right in front of a castle?! I hope someone's home.)

zj1dG.jpg

vOoqX.jpg
: (... If you suspected me of being an assassin, then why did you let me into your throne room?)

XjSYm.jpg
: What? You come from another world? Endoria? Mmmm... Mmmm... Yes, I think I have heard that name... Interesting, interesting... A knight you say you are looking for... Do you mean that you are a Princess by blood? And the name of your father, Your Highness?

vOoqX.jpg
: (He believe that?) My father's name is Mark Leonard, the King of Darion, the kingdom of humans in our world. However, it is said that I am not his natural daughter. Legend has it that the gods sent me to the King in answer to his prayers.

XjSYm.jpg
: The gods sent you? The daughter of the gods from another world? I wonder... Has the Angel told the truth? This is incredible. We have to confirm this. Buy the gods, where is that box?! The King jumps from the throne, scurries away and returns shortly, havingretrieved a small chest, which he then opens carefully. Inside there lays a wonderful stone of heavenly colours. Princess, do you know what this is?

vOoqX.jpg
: (That's so pretty!) No, but its color and shape are most pleasing.

XjSYm.jpg
: How barbaric! The shape and color of the stone is of no matter! This is the Stone of Courage, one of the eight stones of Teana, keys to divine power. If you are the one foretold by the Prophecy of the Angel, then you must awaken this Stone! Come, lay your hands upon it, child. If you speak the truth, it will come to life and give you its strength. However, if you have lied, then you will simply turn to stone, and joni the ranks of those unfortunate impostors who have come before you! The King turns and mkaes a sweeping gesture, indicating the numerous statues, male and female alike, which currently decorate the throne room.

vOoqX.jpg
: (How dare he accuse me of lying!) All I say is pure truth! Touch the stone...

XjSYm.jpg
: As soon as you place your hand on the stone, it lights up with a ghostly glow... before suddenly shattering into a million shining sparks! The sparks flare up, then slowly die down... As they fade, you feel an iluminating power and clarity of thought, shining from within... The incredible stone has accepted you! It has made you its Keeper! The Prophecy of the Angel has come true!

vOoqX.jpg
: I -the stone's Keeper? I do not understand. What just happened? And to where did the stone disappear?

iOCRy.jpg

vOoqX.jpg
: (I hope he's not a horse. Andyman gets horribly jealous if I even look at another stallion...)

XjSYm.jpg
: Speak with Captain Bogard, the Chief of my Guards, and he will explain everything to you. I hope you like surprises? I do not fully understand what to do, but I am sure that in your quest, my gift will be a great help to you - you will see! Also, I will give you a list detailing where, and from whom, you can collect the other stones of Teana. The Stone of Courage you already have, and the Stone Hope you can find here on Debir. Read through the list, feel free to ask any questions you might have... I decree that you are to be given free access to my lands, and may pass wherever you please under my protectioon, and without delay.

AJE1b.jpg

XfgsA.jpg

9Pt5G.jpg
: You can save your fairy tales about how you're a princess for some other fool. Before you stands the Chief of the Royal Guard! Now, you weren't here a moment ago, so speak up; wo are you? - That's my chief concern. For all I know you might pose a danger! Now speak your name!

vOoqX.jpg
: (How rude!) My name is Amelie. King Frederick sent me to you to recieve my gift, and so you might show me my ship.

9Pt5G.jpg
: Princess Amelie, I apologize for my tactlessness! The royal gift - a pet dragon - awaits you!

vOoqX.jpg
: (I've always wanted my very own dragon!)

0V0zB.jpg

4JJRa.jpg

vOoqX.jpg
: (Squee! So cute! I want them all!)

9VzYq.jpg

NNndm.jpg

~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~

So, Codex, who shall our pretty princesses companion be?

For Mage I can't more highly recommend Red. Rage generation is proportional to maximum rage, so thats a 50% increase in rage rate immediately (and later it helps you qualify for the high-rage attacks that you want to spam several times a turn). Mana Accelerator is obviously something you really want early on. The other stat bonuses are only going to improve your overall performance by some 2-3%, and you get the abilities quickly (though guaranteed treasure searcher maxed ASAP to find things would be nice, it isn't essential). You will probably struggle a lot more early game if you have another colour.

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Oh fuck you in the ears for picking easy mode mage.
Warrior is where it is at bitch.

Also the Pink Dragon because it is pink.

Ashery

Prophet
I second the red suggestion, but you should only grab the first two or so levels of treasure searcher as you'll get fucked over on searches at the end of the battle if it costs too much rage. I tried to avoid going beyond the 2/0 (or is it 2/1?) level of treasure searcher until I was nearly halfway through the game.

Oh, and I strongly doubt that a mage will be "easy mode" while on impossibile difficulty. I'm really looking forward to the massacre that will occur during the first boss fight (I'd actually be surprised if you even managed to survive long enough to get to it, actually).

Should show off the impact that the achievements have, by the way. That zero casualty one will be huge for your mage. Trapper can also be incredibly useful, especially if you manage to get find the trap spell early on.

Actually, as you upgrade treasure hunter you eventually unlock a -rage requirement upgrade. IIRC, the final level of treasure hunter costs less rage then both the 2nd to last and 3rd to last. You will have to deal with treasure hunter costing like 13 rage for a few battles, but if you plan and use it during the battle a bit it won't be a big deal and then it goes down to 8 rage when its all done. Getting gold, spell scrolls, and especially runes is really important for impossible.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom