Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's slaughter all Codexians in Close Combat Cross of Iron!

What should I do?

• Start over again with Codexers as the Nazis

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Nah, let's continue and stay Soviet

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Infantryman

Scholar
Orgasm said:
I find it strange that the Nazi mortars bombed your soldiers in ambush positions before contact in some of the updates. Scripted behavior?

The only things in this game that are scripted are the heavy artillery barrages. Someone must have simply spotted the soldiers.

Orgasm said:
Also, why did you retreat in update 3? while holding 4 flags out of 7 and 1 minute to go?

I did not retreat but sign a one day cease-fire. The outcome would be the same if I waited 1 minute except I would have my Militia team slaughtered by MG 34.

Merkwürdigliebe said:
Page 6 let's go! :salute:

:bro:

Avé

Liturgist
Which close combat is best for someone who always wanted to try them but never did?

Infantryman

Scholar
I believe Close Combat 2 to be the best of the whole series. If 1997-ish graphics don't scare you off it might be worth giving a try in the first place.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Iron Cross is awesome. CC2 was great back then but the truly shitty AI ruins it for me these days. Last Stand Arnhem (the CC2 remake) is pretty damn good, but still no classic.

ironyuri

I had alot of fun with "A Bridge Too Far" in the series back in the day. :salute:

Oesophagus

Arcane
So like it's christmas n' junk, is an update coming anytime soon? Sure hope this LP hasn't bought the farm...

also

Private Oeso reporting for duty! :salute:
'Nie bedzie niemiec....'

Infantryman

Scholar
No, this LP is still alive and you may expect few more updates in the coming week. I could really do a lot more of it if not so much paperwork related to it. I have to check the fate of every individual soldier, delete him from the list or add him when he's recovered from his injuries, update the registry on the first page and do several other things. I have to admit my initial enthusiasm has partially worn of. How'd you say, maybe I stop keeping these detailed logs and focus on gameplay? I could post instead in-game screenshots with information about individual soldiers, although it would not be as reliable and informative as my current records are. Or perhaps you have other ideas to make things go more smoothly while sacrificing as little data as possible?

Oesophagus

Arcane
Well, you could only post individual codexer achievements, like when someone singlehandedly buttrapes a PanZer or something. It does seem like a shitload of work to keep track of all this.

Or you could just make shit up, noone would know the difference...

Infantryman

Scholar
Oesophagus said:
Or you could just make shit up, noone would know the difference...

Yes, and the other thing is that most of my meatshields don't really give a damn. I mean, is, for instance, Cloaked Figure even aware he was Kingcomrade's second in command and he died bravely in combat, mowed down by MG 34 machinegun?

Infantryman

Scholar

Day 5. Germans are at the gates of Moscow. The darkest time.

Exhausted, mutilated, our company has to make a final stand. This time retreat is not an option. If we fail now, the Nazis will be on the streets of Moscow. Fortunately, realizing the seriousness of our situation, STAVKA has given us access to some of its deepest reserves.

Because our roster is full, and I want this new 85mm gun, the Penal Rifle Squad is sent back to prison. Fens, Trash and others will be however added to the reserve list so that they may yet see some more action.

All right, this our final roster for the coming battle. 85 mm AT gun will be a fine addition to the company. It packs a lot of firepower and shoots really fast, but is also quite vulnerable target. Perhpas it's not as good as German FlaK 88, but it's the best we've got. Other teams were reinforced and militia team was promoted to regular rifle squad.

The following screenshots show the position and members of each squad. As you can see, the poor flamethrower guy, namely Bradylama will try to ambush enemies trying to cross the frozen river. It is almost a suicide mission, but sacrifices have to be made, if we are to win this war.

Stay tuned!

Infantryman

Scholar

After quite a bit of waiting, first enemy units appear on sight. They seem to be scouts of some kind, advancing cautiously through the forest.

85 mm AA gun's leader, Lyric Suite, a bit too soon, orders to open fire on the enemy.

Second enemy infantry squad makes an appearance. Vault Dweller immediately opens fire with his HMG, killing one of the soldiers. Seeing how great power we possess, the Nazis are pulling back. But everyone knows, they will be back soon, bringing their dreaded Panzers to support them.

After a while, first enemy armor unit is spotted. It appears to be Panzer 38t. Fine Czech vehicle, but pretty light nevertheless. AT guns wait in anticipation for the opportunity to start the barrage.

The Germans are no fools. It appears they will try a massive assault with all they have on our positions.

38t dissapears in the depressed terrain, but 88 AA's finally got a clear shot. Unfortunately, the gun misses.

But Lyric Suite's men quickly reload the gun and fire another shell. This time, the tank is hit and knocked out. Bravo!

The AT guns operators show no mercy and they even score direct hits on fleeing tank crew with antitank rounds.

Volley of Mosin rifle shots ends the life of the unfortunate Panzer III's commander. Death to the fascist invaders!

Bradylama gets buttraped from behind by German scouts. It turns out it wasn't such a cunning ambush after all. Luckily, he managed to survive somehow.

Oesophagus

Arcane
soviet-world-war-2-posters-part2-3.jpg

Infantryman

Scholar

Damned scouts! :shakefists:

Angry kingcomrade orders the 45mm AT gun to open fire directly at the Recon team. It's time to give them hell!

Meanwhile, Pz 38t emerges, charging at our trench at full speed!

AA fails to hit the tank and it shoots back, stunning Private Luzur.

But after a short while, AA gets the best of 38t.

Again, soldiers from the trenches mercilessly shoot the tank crew. Infantry really hates enemy tanks. German Recon seems to be sneaking up on our positions.

Germans have requested a ceasefire! The battle is going to well for us now, so we decline. Lyric Suite spotted with his binoculars StuG assault gun trying to attack our left flank. Gun quickly rotates and the crewmen are aiming...

Wonderful! The StuG explodes! I'm beginning to love this 85mm AA!

The sneaky scouts have sneaked out of the forest. Now we have them on the open ground. Kingcomrade immediately orders all teams to open fire.

Our company unleashes hell. Within a matter of few seconds, numerous shells explode and hundreds of bullets are fired. German Recon squad is instantly wiped off the face of earth forever. :salute:

On the right flank, another Panzer III is seen. Poor timing, Huns!

The tank places a smoke screen making it more difficult target.

The Panzer shoots at the trench, killing Scepctic and Relootz!

Few seconds later, it is consumed by fire.

Last few living members of the second German Recon team are trying to sneak up on our trenches. They are gunned down by machineguns and mosins.

The battle is not over yet. Still, something lingers in the forest, skimming along the frontline. It could be Cleve's command vehicle itself...

Infantryman

Scholar

Yes, after a few minutes of careful observation it is confirmed that it is Cleve himself. Is the Neanderthal Ubermensch trying to make a last ditch attempt to break our defenses and capture Moscow?

Waiting for the right moment, AA gun finally caught Cleve off guard, firing at his vehicle using the few seconds he was exposed. Armoured car was immobilized but it managed to move a few meters before it stopped, hiding itself again behind the trees.

Cleve's car is, however, within field of view of LMG Squad. Uneven skirmish commences. Cleve is furiously punching through the trench with his incredibly powerful rapid-fire AT gun, while Satori runs around, evading hits and firing back once in a while.

Kingcomrade immediately arranges countermeasures to save imperiled team. 76,2mm AT gun is towed a little bit so that it can shoot at Cleve, and then fires. The shell penetrates vehicle's armor, making it explode!

:yeah:

Soldiers in the trenches let the cry of joy out of themselves. But Kingcomrade quickly steps in and stops the celebrations, warning them not to underestimate the power of Cleve.

KC scans the horizon. All clear. Well, no time to loose then!

NPC_6041_m_RannosDavi.jpg
Prepare yourselves men! We're going over the top to hunt down the Neanderthal manboon!

Brave soldiers furiously charge out of the trench with traditional soviet battlecry - "Urrraaaaaa!!!".

Infantryman

Scholar
Kill Cleve, vol. 1

And they charged,...

...and they charged,...

...and they were almost there...

...when small enemy infantry squad showed up.

They don't seem to be particularly dangerous, but it's better to be safe than sorry. Teams halt their advance and seek cover, while HMG and AT guns support is organized.

Holy ****, it turns out they are heavy machinegun team. Both Kingcomrade's aides are shot. Fortunately, they're still alive.

Not all are so fortunate. Flying spaghetti monster dances to the rhythm of lead, while sarvis is severely wounded. The Mg 34 operators do all they can to stop us so that Cleve can safely run away. Their mission is suicidal but they are fanatically devoted to their master. Ironically, as for him they just a pieces on a chessboard.

After the initial shock, two teams rally and start biting back. The HMG Squad is also under cross-fire from two soviet MGs. Their fate is sealed.

Cleve's henchmen are slaughtered, but precious time is lost. Pursuit continues.

A German officer is seen crawling in the snow. A-ha! This must be Cleve's aide, so Cleve must be somewhere nearby, assuming he did not die in the explosion.

Nomask7 and Saint_Proverbus attack the officer. Hand-to-hand combat ensues. Nomask7 is badly injured, but Saint_Proverbus stabs the officer with his knife, killing him.

Saint_Proverbus turns to the other side. He sees highly distinguished German officer of unmistakable physical features. That must Cleve! And he's just throwing a grenade right at our team!

Everyone is stunned by the grenade's explosion, but fortunately no one got killed.

Cleve furiously throws another grenade and shoots with his pistol at the team. Root is shot dead, although it remains uncertain whether it was Cleve's deed. All squad members loose their spirit and start to fall back despite strict orders. However, Kingcomrade himself arrives at the scene.

Kingcomrade starts shooting with his SMG and throws a grenade at his arch-nemesis.

Cleve's silhouette disappears in the dust and smoke...

Meanwhile, second team, running through the forest, spots German halftrack. It is the one carrying a mortar. The one that is responsible for killing so many of their comrades.

Squad assaults the vehicle in all its fury.

Terrified Nazi crewmen reach their machinegun and open fire. LlamaGod dies, but others do not tremble. Their anger is stronger than fear.

German mortar halftrack crew meet their horrible end in the rain of grenades that has fallen upon them. Take that, Huns!

The Germans are crushed! The battlefield is covered with corpses of Germans and wreckages of their tanks and vehicles! A sight perhaps never yet seen during this war! Kingcomrade, however, after careful examination, had not found Cleve's body. He must have escaped somehow!

There is no time to celebrate. Our company is still weak as a fighting force, especially in terms of offensive capacity. But Cleve's troops are beaten too. They will not come back to attack tomorrow, which gives us time to lick our wounds, rest, and prepare ourselves for the coming battles. Therefore, it is time to make very important decision. Should we:

1) Initiate a counterattack! Although we are weak, perhaps enemy will be weak too. Or we can perform some tactical miracle to win this!

2) We are way too weak to attack now! And the Germans are still winning this war. Let's use the time we've gained to strengthen ourselves, not to weaken by foolish, suicidal attacks!

Cassidy

Arcane
1) Disregard the Losses! The Soviet Might shall crush the fascist Neanderthal! FOR THE MOTHERLAND!

The one thing I dislike most about Close Combat is about how balanced towards tanks the battles are. The Germans had, what, 4 tanks and 2 veichles and only about 3 squads of infantry?

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
2! Surely Cleve has already formulated a deadly trap against Lyric Suite and kingcomrade should they follow him!

Infantryman

Scholar
Ah, I forgot to mention that Lyric Suite and inwoker were awarded high distinctions for their heroic performance in the battle.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom