Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's slaughter all Codexians in Close Combat Cross of Iron!

What should I do?

• Start over again with Codexers as the Nazis

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Nah, let's continue and stay Soviet

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
After a while mortar changes its target. One of the shells critically hits a bunker, destroying the 45 mm AT gun! Kaiserin is heavily wounded, and Malakal got stunned but seems to be OK nevertheless.

Shrapnel hit him critically in the groin area, I presume?

At the same time, some high-caliber rounds penetrate the walls of the house like butter, killing Lesifoere and Crispy. It must be the Panzer II shooting from somewhere.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
The Man of Steel still stands undefeated, shocked but claiming two enemy vehicles now.The upstart wishing to killsteal was justly punished. Great Day for comrade Malakal even if a defeat for the Motherland.

The incompetence of the commander Cleve means he will have to be replaced soon...

Infantryman

Scholar
Battle of Moscow introduction video

Bros, ITZ coming! Operation Typhoon has reached its critical phase. The Germans have broken our fierce resistance at Volokolamsk highway and are making last ditch attempt to capture Moscow, which might mean the end of this war. Our reserves are all but exhausted, we must buy time for the fresh Siberian reinforcements to come. Defeat is not an option here. Victory or death!

Oh dear, this not looking good. The requisition points we've received are not even enough to fully replenish our losses.

I requisition a decent 76 mm AT gun, 2 AT rifle teams and one militia meatshields team :smug:.

We're in control of half of the burnt village, while Germans are on the other side. We've got a nicely entrenched hill down the road, a valley and another hill on the flanks offering good cover. Let's see what can be done.

One of the ATR teams were hidden behind a hill in a deep foxhole.

Our new AT gun and old HMG team are holding fortified positions on the top of the hill with very good field of view, although vulnerable to mortar fire.

LMG squad will defend the approach to the hill.

Second AT team, militia squad and command section will defend the small valley with a vital road leading south.

Soldiers frantically await the enemy, but nothing happens.

Finally some recon/assault squad emerges. We cannot fire at them effectively right now though.

But once they hear HMG shots, they realize they're entering a trap and quickly pull back.

Damn mortars :x

Finally, Panzer II appears. Time to take revenge on this little bastard.

The inexperienced militia soldiers open fire on the enemy infantry despite being in ambush mode. Notice that Kaiserin is one of them, because he recently recovered from his wounds and came back to serve in the Red Army.

They realize their stupidity when Panzer II starts firing at them. Good for us, it ignores AT gun!

Enemy mortar starts firing too. They're going to get raped.

Meanwhile :smug:

The Panzer II stops shooting. Apparently all the crewmen are dead or wounded.

Too bad, StuG III C enters the battle. It immediately fires at our AT gun, pinning its crew down.

A fierce exchange of fire ensues. StuG hits the gun's position many times, but it is very heavily entrenched, so no real harm is done.

Mortar really rapes our poor soldiers. Conveniently, all casualties are from militia squad.

Enemy squad is moving towards militia guys. They're going to get raped.

Finally, the StuG III C is knocked out.

Surprisingly, German squad turns 90 degrees. Militiatards are saved!

They crawl back to the village. We won't sit idly looking at them outflanking us. Fire!

Rapid exchange of fire ensues. Unfortunately, HMG doesn't have a clear shot at them.

Let's leave these two squads fighting together. There's much more important thing happening. Kaiserin, terrified by death of nearly all his teammates, routs!

This is totally unacceptable. Kingcomrade himself draws his PPsh submachinegun and fires at Kaiserin. Death to deserters and traitors!

Lucky bastard is wounded but still alive!

Meanwhile, the firefight in the village drags on.

Another German squad crawls towards our position to end this standstill.

He, he, the first nazi gets shot.

Sod it, the Germans fiercely return fire, wounding one of our bros. The second squad turns out to be MG team. We're in serious trouble.

Fortunately, HMG can finally provide us with fire support.

Heavy fighting drags on inconclusively. AT gun tries to shell the enemy position, but they are inaccurate because of being under constant machinegun fire themselves.

Recon squad advances. Good. Come here, hitlerites!

Meanwhile, heavy AT rifle has been trying to sneak upon us for several hours moving a few dozen meters in that time. Good luck, loosers!

LMG squad slowly gets overpowered. That's bad. Germans, feeling more confident, withdraw their recent truce proposal. Our bros can't fight back, because Degtarev LMG broke down and Diogo Riberio is trying to repair it.

AT gun fire finally starts to be accurate.

To reduce enemy pressure, medium infantry squad places a smoke screen.

The Germans are trying to cross the road. Fire!

But they quickly go prone, avoiding casualties.

They're screwed anyway, as they are within AT's range.

But then, truce is signed. Battle would have to end soon anyway, as the sun was about to set. Considering the fact that our tiny little company managed to stop German spearhead, this is a heroic victory. All that they gained today were few burnt to the ground houses. There is no time to celebrate, however, as many tough battles await us in the coming dark days for our motherland.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Cleve hasn't heard the last of us yet!

I assume KC turned Kaiserin into a tranny this time for desertion?

Infantryman

Scholar
Well, I guess he didn't have to do that. Kaiserin is a tranny after all.

I just wonder why it's impossible to kill someone who was already wounded in this game. I mean commissars wouldn't be content with merely wounding a deserter.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Because it is a game, not a simulation. It's a very good game though. :love:

Anyway, good fight. Personally I usually deploy a bit closer to the burned out village and try to maintain a stronger presence on the northern hill (AT usually) but you came out quite well. Especially when you consider how overpowered the krauts are at this point. Looking forward to your next update. This LP actually made me start a new campaing myself tbh. ;)

Infantryman

Scholar
Trash said:
Because it is a game, not a simulation. It's a very good game though. :love:

Anyway, good fight. Personally I usually deploy a bit closer to the burned out village and try to maintain a stronger presence on the northern hill (AT usually) but you came out quite well. Especially when you consider how overpowered the krauts are at this point. Looking forward to your next update. This LP actually made me start a new campaing myself tbh. ;)

Well, what I am afraid of right now is that I'm going to win the next battle and rout them. Considering the linearity of the campaign, how can I explain then that next operation begins just at the outskirts of Moscow? Also, I'd get only 10 requisition points, meaning I'd probably loose next operation due to retarded rules. But I hope they will surprise me or get lucky. That, might sadly mean huge loss of life of our Bros, however.

Malakal said:
:thumbsup:

But but but... Wher am I???

It was to expensive to buy your team another gun at the moment, so I gave you a break.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Infantryman said:
Well, what I am afraid of right now is that I'm going to win the next battle and rout them. Considering the linearity of the campaign, how can I explain then that next operation begins just at the outskirts of Moscow? Also, I'd get only 10 requisition points, meaning I'd probably loose next operation due to retarded rules. But I hope they will surprise me or get lucky. That, might sadly mean huge loss of life of our Bros, however.

The front is gigantic and you're only fighting platoon sized actions. All the explanation needed. And yes, the game being an asshole about requisition and troop availability is exactly what makes it awesome. Else we'd just have access to the heavy toys in the first few operations and would be unstoppable. ;)

Infantryman

Scholar

It's the second day of our heroic struggle... We must not fail, for the ultimate outcome of this war rests on our shoulders, Comrades!

We did not receive many requisition points, but they allowed us to replenish our losses, buy a new gun for one of our teams and upgrade command section slightly.

Now that we have two AT guns, we can use more complex troop arrangement. 45 mm AT gun, AT rifle and LMG infantry squad are placed on the northern hill.

The remaining part of the village is defended by the militia squad, AT rifle team and command section to keep those greenhorns from running away. The top of the hill is occupied by 76,2 mm AT gun and HMG, as it was yesterday. The southern valley is abandoned completely, as it is more of a trap than advantage point.

At the beginning, Militia is shelled by enemy mortar. Fortunately, the Germans experience logistical difficulties, so they don't have much ammo.

After some time, two enemy squads emerge from the trees. Soldiers from the trenches immediately open fire.

They are within HMG's range, putting them at severe disadvantage.

One of them is quickly gunned down, but so is one of our Bros, Silellak.

The rest of the German infantry platoon begins to show up. There is a lot of them, and they do have quite a firepower. 45 mm AT gun starts shelling them.

The fire exchange gets really intense, with hundreds of bullets flying in the air each second.

German 37 mm AT appears. LMG squad opens fire at it.

Success! GeneralSamov scored a direct hit on the gun with his PTRD, making it explode!

Then, we discover another nazi AT gun.

Fortunately, our 45 mm AT intervenes.

76,2 mm AT starts shelling German squad that crawled up to the village crossroads.

Then, StuG III C emerges from the forest. I hate these guys.

Well, the 45 mm AT has to turn round and take it down. I keep my fingers crossed.

Put turning a gun might take some time. To buy it, LMG and AT teams are ordered to shoot at it with their PTRDs even though they're unlikely to cause any damage.

Yeah, we've finally turned!

Damn, the StuG hits the trench, incapacitating the gun's leader and loader.

Malakal starts panicking while JarlFrank heroically takes control of the gun and tries to reload it.

But StuG was faster. Another accurate shot at the trench wounded JarlFrank.

One last hit and gun explodes. Malakal managed to survive it though. Afterwards, he ran away.

Now, the troops defending the northern hill have no means to fight with the StuG. But it doesn't have a machinegun, so it will be easy to run away from it... Oh ****, look, the German MG hid behind this destroyed tank!

With simultaneous MG and artillery fire, they're doomed.

Meanwhile, heavy fightings for the village continue unresolved.

Oh, look, the MG are advancing. Now is our chance to run away!

Holy ****! At the same moment, German armoured car drove out of the forest and started shooting at the soldiers with its 20 mm rapid-fire gun, mowing half of the squad down within a matter of seconds!

StuG charges at the trenches at the full speed. We're totally doomed!

The last few soldiers that managed to survive the onslaught have their morale completely broken, and nearly immediately rout.

The StuG III C turns round and shoots at 76,2 mm AT. But the gun is so badassly entrenched, that it is nearly immune to such things.

But after prolonged exchange of fire, StuG finally hits the gun crew, killing its awesome gunner, Freelance Henchman!

Dagorkan takes over the gun. Luckily, StuG turned a bit left for unknown reason. Then our AT immobilized it, rendering the turretless vehicle totally useless.

After a few another tries, the StuG was finally burning.

The battle of the village was so intense, that commander Kingcomrade ran out of ammo.

After a long period of uneventful standstill, German armoured car appeared. Its armour is pretty weak, but the rapid-fire gun is extremely dangerous for soft targets like AT gun.

Fortunately, one direct hit knocked it down.

Germans won't take it much longer. We spotted one of their soldiers running away in fear. Victory is within our grasp!

German infantry teams retreat to the crossroads. At this location, they are vulnerable to our AT gun and HMG fire. With their cover, we might be able to press the attack!

Urrraa!!! Kingcomrade signalled an order to charge, leading his troops to the attack himself!

Soviet soldiers annihilate first enemy squad standing on their path, throwing grenades at them.

But then the heroic charge comes to a halt as someone shot kingcomrade's radio operator, Cassidy, and AT rifle squad was mown down by someone's SMG burst.

"You shall not falter, comrades!" - shouts Kingcomrade, urging his soldiers to find cover and shoot at the enemy.

The fierce determination of Red Army's soldiers terrifies the Germans. One enemy infantry squad and even Cleve's second in command surrender themselves to them.

Encouraged by this developemnt, Kincomrade orders another charge! Urraaaa!

Soviet flag once again flies above the ruins of Boguslav!

FORWARD, COMRADES! TO VICTORY!

Command and Militia squads split up to gain tactical advantage. One last enemy squad stands on their path. But unfortunately, it's a machinegun squad, capable of mowing down two teams in a blink of an eye.

But Kingcomrade does not falter. He orders his teams to open fire at the enemy immediately, to suppress them so that they won't fire. Kingcomrade is shooting at them too, with the MP-40 he took from one dead Germans.

It seems to be working! Two out of four crew members have been killed, although at the tragic expense of Kingcomrade's trusted assistant's, Cloaked Figure's, life.

But our fortunes sunk low then. The Germans managed to get their MG 34 running, and they shot Commander Kingcomrade himself, wounding him severely. With the Commander wounded and Militia likely to be slaughtered in a few seconds, ceasefire agreement is signed with the Germans.

A heroic victory, but extremely expensive too. Most of our company has been destroyed in this battle.

This might actually be a pyrrhic victory, considering the fact that force strength bar moved in Axis's favour. But every possible sacrifice has to be made to stop the Germans from capturing Moscow.

:love:

Personal files will be updated tonight, GMT time.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Uh that charge was brutal. Might pay for it later. Losing veterans like that. :(

Infantryman

Scholar
RK47 said:
Uh that charge was brutal. Might pay for it later. Losing veterans like that. :(

That is regrettable, but victory has to be achieved at all costs. By the way, your character was lucky enough to be wounded, instead of being killed.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Well a difficult victory indeed. I am not asure about Your idea of splitting artillery - having two guns at one point works way beter versus tanks and APCs, otherwise one lucky shot takes out one gun as it happened here. You needed to cover this much ground?

Vaarna_Aarne

A central location where both guns could fire wherever needed would be optimal, but seems the only feasible option right now is to cover all positions lest we get buttfucked by a tank flank.

Btw, fighting Barbarossa in HoI3 (with DiDay's Iron Cross mod) is utterly ridiculous. I had to switch to a Very Easy campaign to stand a chance of victory (needed the IC and Manpower bonus, otherwise not enough men for the offensive). This time I decided to really do the deed and actually try the Eastern Front in HoI3. It's certainly a way different experience from HoI2 and AoD, where you can dominate Russia much more easily. Before I just did the historical smart move and avoided war with the Soviet Union.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Vaarna_Aarne said:
A central location where both guns could fire wherever needed would be optimal, but seems the only feasible option right now is to cover all positions lest we get buttfucked by a tank flank.

Always make sure not to bunch the guns up too close together. The AI just loves to mortar the shit out of them. (As do good players online. Mortars just kill guns.)

PS Tried the latest version of DiDay? I believe he increased manpower with like 500K for the Barbarossa event.

This is getting more and more time-consuming.

That is why so many LP's die an untimely death. Don't be a class traitor, the motherland depends on you.

Vaarna_Aarne

Trash said:
PS Tried the latest version of DiDay? I believe he increased manpower with like 500K for the Barbarossa event.
I think mine is the latest, unless a new one came within a few months.

One thing I noticed he didn't get around to fixing in his blitz on Finland was Petsamo's base rare materials production. Since by the end of the war over 70% of Germany's nickel came from Petsamo.

EDIT: Great success! It's June '42, and my Operation Typhoon has launched with astounding initial results. Those new infantry divisions and their assault engineers come in handy.

EDIT2: I've just noticed that for some retarded reason the Allies can cruise around the Baltic freely.

Infantryman

Scholar
Trash said:
This is getting more and more time-consuming.

That is why so many LP's die an untimely death. Don't be a class traitor, the motherland depends on you.

I will try to carry on to the end, but I have quite a lot of things to do related with my studies, so there might be periods of inactivity.

Bros, one short question and one voting ahead.

Should I delete Cleveland Mark Blakemore's name from our recruit's list now that Cleve is the German commander?

And now the vote.

At the cost of great sacrifices, we reclaimed the village of Bogdanovo. However, now that the Germans have stopped their advance, they're getting more and more reinforcements, while we get almost nothing. Should we:

1) Defend the village at all costs. It would be insane to fall back now, after all that effort to take it.

2) Retreat to the line of Moscow's outer fortifications ring. The terrain is defended by the bunkers and mine fields, but the Germans are likely to bring heavy artillery to the battle, so we might risk heavy losses, and the reinforcements we're going to get won't be really impressive. This choice means giving up moderate amount of land.

3) Retreat to the last line of defense. It is just on the outskirts of Moscow. We're going to get some serious reinforcements while we regroup there, and the battlefield has pretty robust strongpoints system. However, we will be giving up a lot of land, and if the Germans win here, they would be able to initiate direct assault on Moscow.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Retreat to the second line of defenses. If you lose the next battle retreat to the latest line of defense. Bleed the enemy white, comrade!

PS Remove Cleve from the list of recruits. He's better suited as your archnemesis than as cannon fodder.

Fens

Ford of the Llies
get rid of cleve... he'd have changed sides by now anyway

and 2)

Vaarna_Aarne

Yes, Cleve is our archnemesis.

EDIT: I advocate a cautious approach. See how much we can bleed from the Germans safely. However, if we start losing stuff like AT gun crews, better retreat.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom