Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's slaughter all Codexians in Close Combat Cross of Iron!

What should I do?

• Start over again with Codexers as the Nazis

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Nah, let's continue and stay Soviet

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Cassidy

Arcane
closecombat0065.jpg

800px-Voennaia_marka_Ni_shagu_nazad!.jpg

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Topher said:
Which Close Combat is the best I have 1-5 but have only played number 5 and I think either 3 or 4 when I was younger. Should I start with the first one? What about the remakes from Matrix Games? Any recommended mods for the 5th one?

Iron Cross is one of the best CC games there is with loads of great mods. For an extremely challenging game try Iron Cross with the Grossdeutschland mod.

The latest CC remake Last Stand at Arnhem had all the qualities of being the best CC game yet. Unfortunately it had quite a few issues which kept it from being so. The last patch however has improved the game drastically. Playing it now for a TC review and if the game keeps as good as it is it will be a glorious one.

Anyway, seems the OP is in for a buttrape. Try to get an at cannon and position that one in the bunker on the hill in the next map. A machinegun squad wouldn't hurt either. Good luck!

Infantryman

Scholar
Trash said:
Try to get an at cannon and position that one in the bunker on the hill in the next map. A machinegun squad wouldn't hurt either. Good luck!

The next map doesn't feature bunker. I guess I'll retreat to the last line of defence with one.

GarfunkeL said:
Wait, is this the classic Close Combat 3? Or some newfangled remake/restoration? I remember that the original CC3 was shitty when compared to CC1, CC2 or CC4 - but maybe it was just the disjointed battles that didn't make any sense and the over-emphasis on tanks which got on my nerves.

In any case, eagerly awaiting my tank platoon commission :salute:

Well, it's a 2007 remake of CC3. I think it does slightly improve the tank/infantry balance that was completely messed up. My favourite Close Combat game is CC2, but I've decided to do LP with this one because it's easy to change names, and it features dozens of Soviets being mowed down by tanks and MGs like in the Enemy at the Gates ;).

@All new recruits: It shall be done :salute:

Infantryman

Scholar

Welcome back bros! That's the current status of our operation. It's going badly, just as the war is.

The terrain doesn't seem defensible. We can try some ambushes near the streams but without heavy weapons, our soldiers would be slaughtered.

So let's give our lads a break and just fall back further.

Yeah, I know, we've lost.

Welcome to our last line of defence. We have a neat bunker on the hill, trenches, some nicely placed houses and a fancy river.

We finally have decent amount of requisition points too.

We replace losses in LMG infantry squad, "buy" two 45mm AT guns and a heavy machinegun.

LMG infantry will defend the northern approach.

Regular 45mm ATG shall be placed in the bunker.

Commander Kingcomrade will stick around.

Our brave sniper will be sitting in a foxhole.

Cossack 45mm ATG has been placed in a house with good field of view.

On the other side of the road, the HMG team is occupying another house.

Let's start! Panzer II tank shows up first.

We have a good chance of taking them out.

The Panzer is hit but no damage is made. The tank returns fire, pinning the soldiers in the bunker down slightly.

Enemy infantry spotted!

This tank received more than ten hits but is still undamaged!

Stug shows up :shakesfists:

Enemy mortar starts firing. One of the shells hits our sniper!

Now each of the guns has its own target.

Mortar starts firing on ATG in the building.

HMG team scores its first kill shooting a German from 300 meters.

Success! StuG 3G is destroyed!

Shortly afterwards, Panzer II explodes!

Few seconds later, enemy 37mm AT gun is destroyed by the HMG.

Machinegun team becomes mortar's next target.

Germans request truce. I'm tempted to accept as I'm lacking any offensive capability after all.

So be it. One day ceasefire is arranged.

Our kills. One wounded enemy counts as 0.5 kill, but I count is as full kill because whether someone is killed or wounded is completely random. Also if the vehicle is abandoned even a second before being destroyed, it doesn't count as kill in the game, but I count it.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
My service has been rewarded. Few more and I will become the one driving all the slaves from behind into the grinder.

Infantryman

Scholar
I have a great idea how to prevent from making the dead rise again. I can simply erase their names from the soldier names file. This way, we'll be really able to check who survived the war.

ironyuri

ironyuri reporting tavarisch. Fearless Chekist and loyal comrade of Dzerzhinsky!

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
By the way, you should add short descriptions about the conditions surrounding a Codexer's death on the first page. Same with being wounded would be swell too.

Kz3r0

Arcane
A loader?
I have such a great carreer ahead of me.

Infantryman

Scholar
Bros! Unfortunately, next update will be on weekend, because I'm studying in another city, leaving a fancy computer with all my games at home.

Vaarna_Aarne said:
By the way, you should add short descriptions about the conditions surrounding a Codexer's death on the first page. Same with being wounded would be swell too.

Good idea. It's done. Although I'm afraid I won't be able to determine causes of death of all soldiers in larger battles.

Also, would you like the idea of allowing wounded soldiers not to be deleted from the names list so that they may reappear in the game after some time? Their rank and function will be probably different though.

Kz3r0 said:
A loader?
I have such a great carreer ahead of me.

When gunner ranks up high enough then he becomes the leader and the loader usually becomes a gunner. That's the career path for you, I guess.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
The wounded count as survivors.

EDIT: Actually, just put them on the list again. They'll get better.

chzr

Scholar
why the fuck codex doesn't fight for the superior race? fuck this shit. i'm dissapoint.

invite plz

Corporal Major_Blackhart (leader)
Private First Class Lesifoere (assistant)

What an unfortunate pairoff. Someone is going to be sore and sorry after 'assisting'.

Anyway, carry on with the war. CC3 has always been one of my favourites.

The Germans would have been more appropriate for this playthrough I would think. Lyric Suite would be an excellent candidate for the leadership of the Crusade against bolshevism.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom