Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's talk about Lacrymas' homebrew fantasy setting where paladins are eunuchs

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Given how these are RPG characters with the exact same capabilities between sexes, it's literally irrelevant.

But clearly they aren't in your setting. After all, men cannot become barbarians for they lack the capability to properly rage.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
People seem to not really understand the whole "cultural zeitgeist" and its comparative arbitrariness thing.

Yes, you are pretty shit at conveying that part. Almost as if it was a rationalisation you came up after facing our criticism, not a worldbuilding element which has always been there.

thinking.png

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
No, I built this setting with this in mind, that's why only men can be druids and only women clerics and barbarians. You saying "but men can rage too" is painfully missing the point.

Bara

Arcane
I already said it is possible for basically anyone to learn how to do it, but it's a cultural thing to let only these specific women do it. From their perspective, only they have the necessary life experience to do it, but I, as the God-Hand, know everyone can do it, especially since the orcs indeed have similar techniques. People seem to not really understand the whole "cultural zeitgeist" and its comparative arbitrariness thing.

And you said:
There is also the meta aspect of it getting nerds' panties in a twist that only women can be barbarians, I love it.

Which calls into question any integrity the idea had in the first place. Fuck if the orcs do indeed have similar techniques and they see male orcish barbarians on the field no one even the human women barbarians think that oh hey maybe there is more than one path?

You've made your civilization either stupid and unwilling to learn new methods and means to survive in this "harsh desert world" or just incredibly against women who cannot or have not born children and men in general to fit in a box of requirements you wanted nothing organic. There's nothing justifying or showing how they got there at all just a always has been.

All your explanations for it just seem so contrived after "lol it'll make nerds mad" post.

Bara

Arcane
that's why only men can be druids and only women clerics

Ah the divine sources they worship in this world also believe in segregating the sexes then? And do they burn male clerics and women druids at the stake if they ever show up or try to learn? Or is this another one of those everyone in this setting is mentally retarded in order to fit my specific requirements I need for a setting.

Lacrymas

Arcane
It is not contrived. Since women's role as incubators is seen as very important, it's only natural to assume they have a special bond with their children. Since it's also pretty hard to die in this setting all things considered, losing a baby is seen as a great tragedy and as if the entire universe has conspired against the mother, which justifies this rage of bereavement. Pretty much everything "makes sense" in this setting in the way a 4th century Christian would structure the world. Not that they would structure it this way, but the arbitrariness of the way it's structured and that justification.

Why did Vestal Virgins exist at all? Why weren't women allowed to sing in church? Why aren't women clergy outside of nuns? Why weren't women allowed to vote? The justifications of these things have the same weight as the justifications of the people in my setting.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Just like you don't think it translates to rage, these people think it does (anger against the injustice of the world). Like I said a lot of times already, you can't reason yourself out of this or use anecdotal evidence (including our own history). That's the point.

Vatnik Wumao
Why did Vestal Virgins exist at all? Why weren't women allowed to sing in church? Why aren't women clergy outside of nuns? Why weren't women allowed to vote? The justifications of these things have the same weight as the justifications of the people in my setting.
:deathclaw:

No, they don't. Yours have military significance for the setting and those states/tribes/etc that did not uphold those retarded views would stamp out those that did.

Lacrymas

Arcane
First of all, this civilization has magical healing. Second of all, a Fighter can stand toe-to-toe with a Barbarian mechanically speaking, so they having more barbarians instead of fighters is moot. Third of all, the other tribes/states might be way smaller than these are. Fourth of all, these restrictions may have arisen when this civilization already had military dominance, or the techniques needed may have been invented later.

Bara

Arcane
Just like you don't think it translates to rage, these people think it does (anger against the injustice of the world). Like I said a lot of times already, you can't reason yourself out of this or use anecdotal evidence (including our own history). That's the point.

This just shows you its super contrived because you keep making this setting is built to go through a check box you wanted filled out for it to work. The concept of Fathers cannot exist in this theocaracy in order to not have male barbarians even though that puts more strain on the single mothers raising their children alone and puts a strain on the entire society trying to maintain a reasonable population level for the next generation.

Mothers only being allowed to be barbarians and a MILITARY faction not trying to even see if other women who haven't given birth yet can't draw rage from other forms of loss is stupid because any military wants to have more numbers.

Resources are harsh and scare that they limit births and keep the population on as close to a downward trend as possible whats to say stop the orcs from out-breeding them in a few generations and stomping down on this civilization with superior numbers. But apparently no one in this Theocaracy thinks about that because "reasons."

Saying that the orcish tribes/states are smaller is no justification as the only way to keep their numbers down is genocide and again for your setting you say there a huge taboo on killing humanoids that its avoided whenever possible.

Like god damn that whole "lol angry nerds" comment really makes me start to suspect even the reason why your pushing so hard that only Mothers can be barbarians is that your trying to bring up your whole "only women who have the ability to give birth are real women idea" from that other thread but under a mask.

Lacrymas

Arcane
1. Fatherhood as the biological function exists. They can choose, however, whether to stay and take care of the child with the mother. Which usually happens because I said the most common living arrangement is 2 women and 1 man living together.
2. It's not a military faction, it's a mercenary academy. There are always other things to take into account when trying to grow a military - women weren't allowed in armies for example even though it would increase the numbers.
3. It's not a downward trend, quite the contrary.
4. I said they know casualties in war are unavoidable.
5. I've never said "only women who have the ability to give birth are real women", lol.

Bara

Arcane
1. If it exists why does no one acknowledges a father who is grieving at the loss of their child has the potential to tap into the same rage
2. It's a mercenary faction they wouldn't still want to increase their numbers. This is a world where women are allowed into service so why aren't they trying to see if women who haven't given birth but suffered some relationship loss are able to channel the same rage. Unless they're going around secretly murdering children to increase their numbers which at this point I could believe with how retarded this setting is.
3. Downward trend or not they limit their population growth the orcs can still out breed them on top of the necromancy you said they have even add the dead to their number to further boost those numbers and wash over them. I'll have to find it but thought saw you saying earlier in this thread that yes they want and are pushing for a downward trend currently.
4. Actually speaking of that if casualties are so unavoidable and they do so much population control that you say is stable enough why do the force fights to happen when they make moves to grab orc land?
If reproduction is what biological sex does and is, then taking that away should mean that the biological sex has changed, ergo infertiles should be considered another sex entirely.

With how much you kept talking up your setting and how it "fixes" what you saw as a lot of problems throughout numerous threads I though you might have put some real work into it.

Cael

Arcane

This just shows you its super contrived because you keep making this setting is built to go through a check box you wanted filled out for it to work. The concept of Fathers cannot exist in this theocaracy in order to not have male barbarians even though that puts more strain on the single mothers raising their children alone and puts a strain on the entire society trying to maintain a reasonable population level for the next generation.

Mothers only being allowed to be barbarians and a MILITARY faction not trying to even see if other women who haven't given birth yet can't draw rage from other forms of loss is stupid because any military wants to have more numbers.

Resources are harsh and scare that they limit births and keep the population on as close to a downward trend as possible whats to say stop the orcs from out-breeding them in a few generations and stomping down on this civilization with superior numbers. But apparently no one in this Theocaracy thinks about that because "reasons."

Saying that the orcish tribes/states are smaller is no justification as the only way to keep their numbers down is genocide and again for your setting you say there a huge taboo on killing humanoids that its avoided whenever possible.

Like god damn that whole "lol angry nerds" comment really makes me start to suspect even the reason why your pushing so hard that only Mothers can be barbarians is that your trying to bring up your whole "only women who have the ability to give birth are real women idea" from that other thread but under a mask.
It should be obvious by now that the castrator hates females with a vengeance. Nothing like the rage of a basement dwelling nerd scorned.

Bara

Arcane
Also this one from the other thread before you try to white wash your earlier comments

I say 4, fertmale (fertile male) , infertmale, fertfemale, infertfemale. Or maybe 3, male, female, infertile. Or maybe another set of 2, fertiles and infertiles. And no amount of wailing and rhetoric will change that.

Lacrymas

Arcane
1. If it exists why does no one acknowledges a father who is grieving at the loss of their child has the potential to tap into the same rage
2. It's a mercenary faction they wouldn't still want to increase their numbers. This is a world where women are allowed into service so why aren't they trying to see if women who haven't given birth but suffered some relationship loss are able to channel the same rage. Unless they're going around secretly murdering children to increase their numbers which at this point I could believe with how retarded this setting is.
3. Downward trend or not they limit their population growth the orcs can still out breed them on top of the necromancy you said they have even add the dead to their number to further boost those numbers and wash over them. I'll have to find it but thought saw you saying earlier in this thread that yes they want and are pushing for a downward trend currently.
4. Actually speaking of that if casualties are so unavoidable and they do so much population control that you say is stable enough why do the force fights to happen when they make moves to grab orc land?
If reproduction is what biological sex does and is, then taking that away should mean that the biological sex has changed, ergo infertiles should be considered another sex entirely.

With how much you kept talking up your setting and how it "fixes" what you saw as a lot of problems throughout numerous threads I though you might have put some real work into it.

1. Because it's the cultural zeitgeist.
2. This is like asking why haven't they tried to make men nuns yet. It's a sisterhood for grieving mothers.
3. These people have an expansionist mindset and always try to get new land in order to get a bigger population going. I have no idea why you think they want to shrink.
4. They don't usually attack the orcs, orcs attack them. It's also pretty hard to die as a soldier in this army, everyone has at least one healing potion along with clerical support.
5. This was a thought experiment to show that biological sex is very hard to define, it has nothing to do with real women plopping out babies.

It "fixes" a lot of my problems with most fantasy settings, yes.

Bara

Arcane
1. Because it's the cultural zeitgeist.
2. This is like asking why haven't they tried to make men nuns yet. It's a sisterhood for grieving mothers.
3. These people have an expansionist mindset and always try to get new land in order to get a bigger population going. I have no idea why you think they want to shrink.
4. They don't usually attack the orcs, orcs attack them. It's also pretty hard to die as a soldier in this army, everyone has at least one healing potion along with clerical support.
5. This was a thought experiment to show that biological sex is very hard to define, it has nothing to do with real women plopping out babies.

It "fixes" a lot of my problems with most fantasy settings, yes.

1. You keep repeating this like its any sort of real justification. If this was a normal world of regular resources I'd almost accept them coming up with this arbitrary beliefs but you keep pushing this is a hard world that needs to do population control and food is scarce. They're doing things that lowers their chances at stability throughout your explanations.
2. Okay is it a grieving mothers only club or a mercenary organization because you keep changing their purpose at a drop. Because if they want to be a Mercenary organization they're not going to be of any sizeable number.
3. Fine dropping the shrinkage vs expansionist talk how do you justify them not being out-bread and out-numbered by the orcs when they so control the growth of their population and the orcs not only don't care but can also use necromancy on top of their lack of birth control to eventually out number them and wipe them out.
but they will take orc lands by force sometimes
? If its just simple defense I don't see why they're doing land grabs at all.
5. Your though experiment is as dumb and the beliefs that inspired it are filtering into your work whether you realize it or not.

I swear it's like you're a brick wall of a human-being whose also high on their own opinions.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Like I said a lot of times already, you can't reason yourself out of this or use anecdotal evidence (including our own history).
This idea came to me because one of my sister's classmates died when they were both 16. He and a friend of his were returning from a holiday, but the friend (who is also the driver) was too exhausted and fell asleep on the wheel, causing the car to swerve and hit a massive truck head-on. The driver was fine, but the classmate was instantly crushed. He was so badly maimed, the coroners didn't allow his mother to see his body because there was no recognizable body. When we went to the funeral, I saw such immense pain in her eyes and she broke down and wept like the most tragic of banshees. I couldn't imagine how that feels, but it did stay with me (this was around 8ish years ago) and was turned into this thing.

Cael

Arcane
I swear it's like you're a brick wall of a human-being whose also high on their own opinions.

I honestly just think he's 15.
I pegged him to be more like 6. He reminds me of the kid who creates a dungeon where you enter a room, find an orc, open a door and it leads to another room, find an ogre, open the next door and find a giant, open the next door and find a dragon.

When asked how the fuck did the dragon get there, he just yells "It is just there, ok! Stop trying to spoil my game!!!!"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom