Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lilura's Blog: An Ongoing Codexian Obsession

How do you rate lilura1.blogspot.com's commentary?

• Total voters
Unwanted

Cologno

Unwanted
With two of them you definitely get your shit repacked whenever you want.

solemgar

Educated
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I was thinking last night what Morrowind would look like if it retained the tactical complexity of Baldur's Gate and I realized it would probably end up looking something like Rainbow Six with melee and spellcasters essentially. Which, I don't know, I found this thought very funny.

NVQTTqa.png
ADuQ8gt.png
Please, someone make this game.

Wizards positioned on the top floor and shooting fireballs from the skylight window.

Send the fighters through the front door meanwhile the rogue enters through the ventilation ducts to rescue the hostage.

I see it. I see it!

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I was thinking last night what Morrowind would look like if it retained the tactical complexity of Baldur's Gate and I realized it would probably end up looking something like Rainbow Six with melee and spellcasters essentially. Which, I don't know, I found this thought very funny.

NVQTTqa.png
ADuQ8gt.png

Wizards positioned on the top floor and shooting fireballs from the skylight window.

Send the fighters through the front door meanwhile the rogue enters through the ventilation ducts to rescue the hostage.

I see it. I see it!
This is probably as close as you'll get:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1043810/Tactical_Breach_Wizards/

solemgar

Educated
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

NVQTTqa.png
ADuQ8gt.png

I see it. I see it!

Is there anything that hasn't been invented yet?

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
You come up with an idea today. Meanwhile, someone else thought of it a year ago and is now starting on development. Meanwhile, someone before him came up with the idea years ago and is close to finishing an Alpha.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
You come up with an idea today. Meanwhile, someone else thought of it a year ago and is now starting on development. Meanwhile, someone before him came up with the idea years ago and is close to finishing an Alpha.
You try to unwind by reading and then see citations that reference the idea in ancient texts from 400 BC.

Cohesion

Augur
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
You try to unwind by reading and then see citations that reference the idea in ancient texts from 400 BC.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Thirty-Six_Dramatic_Situations

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

NVQTTqa.png
ADuQ8gt.png

I see it. I see it!

Enuff and More Dakka

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
She doesn't like anything that doesn't completely adhere to the style of the late-90s-early 00s.

Shadowrun, D:OS, Wasteland, Pillars, Underrail, Tyranny, Tides, Pathfinder, Solasta, BG3 are all weird mutants.

You are a representative of the new age of the codex.

No, I'm representative of the Renaissance era (1996-2002). My commentary is infused with the tone of the era. No one can deny this. I was there, I played the games; it's irrefutable.

your bitterness transpires in every post you make.

Bitterness > sweetness. Everyone who played Fallout when it came out is capable of venom. Since you negatively connote my tone, clearly you didn't. You are not a Fallout veteran; it's so obvious. We're not lovey-dovey.

And no, your blog is not something useful at all. I have played Baldur's Gate a hundred times, and every
hardcore BG player will tell you that the only useful resources online are Gibberlings 3 and Spellhold Studios.

You can't prove you've played BG even once. I can. See the difference?

G3 and SS don't commentate: they mod. Apples and oranges. Are you this clueless?

As for hardcore players, yes, they go to my blog for the commentary. It's as plain as day.

And JA2 is not the greatest game of all-time.

For me it is. It shits all over every game in the 'Dex top 20, including Fallout. And I consider Fallout the greatest RPG of all time. The pure RPG genre is as week as piss.

Hey, I was wondering if you would be willing to write a retrospective of Sierra games such as King's Quest, Space Quest, and Leisure Suit Larry? I see from your writings on flip-screen games you dislike Sierra, but you also otherwise write you were a fan of LucasArts adventures.

I'm curious as to which Sierra games you played, and why you dislike them so?

Lilura dreams of a world where she could be regarded as an influential critic, where she'd be quoted in publications and devs would be forced to pay attention, some kind of videogame--I'm sorry, computer game--Pauline Kael. I'm not talking about whether she deserves the comparison or not. If you grew up in the 90s reading monthly magazines, this world seemed possible. Sure, games journalism was already a joke, but it was still a space where people who could both write and analyze games seriously could gain recognition for it. The idea of a new class of videogame--damn, there I go again, I mean computer game--critic writing for a prestigious publication doesn't seem farfetched if the medium had kept a certain trajectory.

Instead, the reality of the matter is that games devolved and the discourse is dominated by attention seeking performers and algorithms. Those who adapted to the video format are living off of Youtube, which she hates because she's an intellectual and probably extremely self-conscious. She hates that people who are less smart and educated than her are making money from legions of admirers, simpletons that they may be.

You have forums, of course, but forums are ephemeral and low status. They also mess with the minds of people who are sensitive to criticism. If you're a contrarian intralexual in the 21st century, you usually have one recourse, that is to self-publish a book and get people to buy it just based off word of mouth. It's worked for some. Given the kind of things she writes, though, perhaps a book wouldn't be the best format. A new publication, a website dedicated to high quality reviews, perhaps. That would mean collaborating with other people.

Blogs are the midwit trap, they're the refuge of forum posters who think they're too important for the places they come from. No one will remember your blog. The internet is a mass grave of AUTHORITATIVE blogs by frustrated intellectuals. Once your little online circle disperses, you'll be forgotten forever.

So what do you propose she do?

Also, how long haas she been around for?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I see from your writings on flip-screen games you dislike Sierra, but you also otherwise write you were a fan of LucasArts adventures.

I'm curious as to which Sierra games you played, and why you dislike them so?
A person who hates Sierra but likes LA likely hates the Sierra punishing design philosophy that LA was purposely doing the opposite of.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom