Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lilura's Blog: An Ongoing Codexian Obsession

How do you rate lilura1.blogspot.com's commentary?

• Total voters
Codex Year of the Donut
I'm sorry but Diablo is not an RPG. D1 is quite literally an experiment in what happens when you run a dungeon crawler in real time. Items and stats alone don't a role-playing game.
The only thing Diablo is really lacking is C&C. If that's a requirement to be an RPG(it's not), then about half of games we think are RPGs are not.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
half of games we think are RPGs are not.
Correct.
Modern Warfare has stats and equipment. Is it an RPG?
Binding of Isaac has stats and items. Is it an RPG?
Is RDR? Or GTA?
Diablo has character advancement and customization.
What exactly is it lacking to be an RPG?

As you said, C&C and the mechanics that requires like dialogue choices and multiple ways to resolve a situation. Being able to define an actual role for yourself.

Codex Year of the Donut
Correct.
Is RDR? Or GTA?

Fedora needs more story
It arguably has more story than most RPGs released by its time period. Storyfag RPGs were just starting to become a thing.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Diablo has plenty of game-play reactivity, and that's all that counts.

It's an RPG. I'll even be staking my rep on it by adding it to my top 10.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Correct.
Is RDR? Or GTA?

Fedora needs more story
It arguably has more story than most RPGs released by its time period. Storyfag RPGs were just starting to become a thing.

Your point being?

Codex Year of the Donut
Correct.
Is RDR? Or GTA?

As you said, C&C and the mechanics that requires like dialogue choices and multiple ways to resolve a situation. Being able to define an actual role for yourself.
This means most games released before around Fallout cannot qualify as an RPG.
You probably think disco communism is an RPG.

Codex Year of the Donut
Diablo's main impact on the genre is being the predecessor for Diablo 2, which has largely had only a negative impact through loot pinata and the beginning of MMO-style itemization amongst other things.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Shameful.

How so? It's top 5 all-time. You wouldn't even be playing good RPGs if it wasn't for Diablo.

There would be no RPGs if a bunch of guys hadn't decided to adjust their massed fantasy battles system for small group play. But wargaming is not roleplay.

Really im just baffled that you of all people don't agree.

roleplay arguers are the worst

As I said, if the only requirements are items and attributes, what makes MW not an RPG? Every game now has "RPG elements", so everything is an RPG now I guess? Didn't know the genre was so damn popular.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
There would be no RPGs if a bunch of guys hadn't decided to adjust their massed fantasy battles system for small group play. But wargaming is not roleplay.

Wargaming is the root and the quintessence. Role-playing and LARPing are for faggots.

If it comes back down to story fag vs combat fag we both know there will be no common ground between us. It's an unnecessary oversimplification however. You of all people here should be able to appreciate a Gesamtkunstwerk though.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Wargaming is the root and the quintessence. Role-playing and LARPing are for faggots.
Do you consider X-COM to be an RPG?

You propably have to be more specific: original X-Coms from the 90s or the modern versions (with simplified strategic and tactical layer, but more options for developing individual soldiers).

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady

It's almost an insult to call Jagged Alliance 2, X-COM and X-COM: Apocalypse RPGs. They're genre-transcending masterpieces. At bottom, and as a rule, I consider the RPG genre to be a laughing stock. It's why I named my blog after myself, without adding in "RPG". I don't intend to limit my commentary to such an embarrassing genre.

Codex Year of the Donut

You propably have to be more specific: original X-Coms from the 90s or the modern versions (with simplified strategic and tactical layer, but more options for developing individual soldiers).
X-COM refers to the originals, XCOM refers to the new ones.
As I said, if the only requirements are items and attributes, what makes MW not an RPG? Every game now has "RPG elements", so everything is an RPG now I guess? Didn't know the genre was so damn popular.
What character progression and customization does MW have?

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Modern Warfare has equipment loadouts and appearance customization. Although I admit I haven't played the most recent ones. Maybe a better example would be Ghost Recon Wildlands or even SWAT 2.

Codex Year of the Donut
Modern Warfare has equipment loadouts and appearance customization. Although I admit I haven't played the most recent ones. Maybe a better example would be Ghost Recon Wildlands or even SWAT 2.
If they have character equipment, inventories, loot, stats, non-visual customization, and character advancement then congratulations: they are an RPG.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom