Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lilura's Blog: An Ongoing Codexian Obsession

How do you rate lilura1.blogspot.com's commentary?

• Total voters

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Modern Warfare has equipment loadouts and appearance customization. Although I admit I haven't played the most recent ones. Maybe a better example would be Ghost Recon Wildlands or even SWAT 2.
If they have character equipment, inventories, loot, stats, non-visual customization, and character advancement then congratulations: they are an RPG.

And it is an incredibly dumbed down definition that has brought nothing but decline to the genre.

E: I was about to make a joke how General Gaming and this forum should just be merged but then I realized most threads dealing with specific games already ARE in here and Gen Gaming is mostly meta discussions about the industry. :|

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
Modern Warfare has equipment loadouts and appearance customization. Although I admit I haven't played the most recent ones. Maybe a better example would be Ghost Recon Wildlands or even SWAT 2.
If they have character equipment, inventories, loot, stats, non-visual customization, and character advancement then congratulations: they are an RPG.

And it is an incredibly dumbed down definition that has brought nothing but decline to the genre.

E: I was about to make a joke how General Gaming and this forum should just be merged but then I realized most threads dealing with specific games already ARE in here and Gen Gaming is mostly meta discussions about the industry. :|
If it calls itself an RPG, it gets put in GRPG.
You can call them transgenre if you want.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady

Not sure why you talk about decline in 2021. Genre has been stone cold dead for 10 years.

It only had one peak that lasted for a few years, too. Before and after, it's naught but shit.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Hey, it's my turn first. Fedora Master get in line. :rpgcodex:

You're too small-time.

rusty_shackleford goes first. Then Octavius. oldmanpaco goes, too.
I play RPGs for the story and immersion, I don't even like combat that much. Kingmaker is great and a worthy successor to Baldur's Gate. Disco Elysium is an RPG, unlike JA2. Larian saved and keeps saving everyday the RPG genre. RPG games.

Pretty please? :happytrollboy:

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Very defeatist attitude.

Also, watch what you say about me or I'll light you up on my blog. Faggot.

I don't understand you. You hate RPGs and say the genre is long dead yet you are incredibly defensive of your blog dedicated to RPGs. You hate Larian and its fans (Rightfully so) yet you want them as an audience in the vain hope they might be convinced to play real games. You once mentioned you have a degree in English (Literature?) and by all accounts should be able to appreciate storytelling yet you hate stories.

Woman, thy name is contradiction.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I don't understand you. You hate RPGs and say the genre is long dead yet you are incredibly defensive of your blog dedicated to RPGs.

I never said I hated RPGs. Why do you and others always lie about what I say, and get personal? Answer: because you can't take on my commentary, fair and square. It's cowardly.

You hate Larian and its fans (Rightfully so) yet you want them as an audience in the vain hope they might be convinced to play real games.

It's not a vein hope. I didn't want my indexing to get buried by BG3 keywords. It's that simple.

You once mentioned you have a degree in English (Literature?) and by all accounts should be able to appreciate storytelling yet you hate stories.

No, I read books. I don't get my English proficiency from fucking RPGs like some of you ex-Soviet bloc third-worlders.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
I don't understand you. You hate RPGs and say the genre is long dead yet you are incredibly defensive of your blog dedicated to RPGs.

I never said I hated RPGs. Why do you and others always lie about what I say, and get personal? Answer: because you can't take on my commentary, fair and square. It's cowardly.

as a rule, I consider the RPG genre to be a laughing stock. It's why I named my blog after myself, without adding in "RPG". I don't intend to limit my commentary to such an embarrassing genre.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
By that point I will go as far to state that Panzer General is, in fact, an RPG.

It has C&C up your ass, more profound C&C than any of the RPGs ever. You get major in Warsaw, you go to Norway. If not, you don't see this map ever. If you get major in France you get to Sealion40, and there you can knock out England out of the war with another major. That is, you will never ever fight British again in that campaign. Overall, the campaign progression is quite nonlinear, with your performance deciding the course of the campaign and sometimes overall choice.

It has stats. Each unit has initiative, movement, offensive and defensive stats that directly determine the usefulness of unit in combat.

It has experience. Unit gain experience through combat, and experience levels are crucial. Five star FW190 rips and tears through enemy aircraft while zero star FW190 is way less potent.

Everything is decided with rolls. Units roll for initiative, roll for misses, suppression and kills.

There's no "build" for each unit, but there are builds for your core army, similar to party composition of party-based RPGs. You can invest heavily in airforce, tanks or artillery and this will shape up your offensive or defensive actions. It's just that instead of paladins, wizards and clerics you have tanks, artillery and aviation.

It has no dialogues, but who needs that shit? Storyfags?

There's no loot, but you gain prestige by capturing objectives and destroying enemy units and this prestige is used to purchase new units or reinforce existing ones.

And oh boy, there's Panzer General 2 that has even more of that, for example, special abilities gained with level-ups - read "perks".

Am I serious? Decide for yourself.

Generic-Giant-Spider

NOW HOLD ON THERE I KNOW RPGS AND I SAY DIABLO IS AN RPG.

C&C? Try this: level 3 Sorcerer, down in the second floor, see a big ominous room with what looks like tons of dead bodies. Now, a sane man would have tucked tail and ran to come back later when he was a bit more equipped for the matter. But I'm not sane and I'm not even a man so I opened that door, I walk in blindly, I get two shot by the CLEAVERLY named Butcher.

Now stop that thought. Let's all brainstorm. Thinking caps, people.

ties invisible thinking cap to head

When I approached the Butcher's room, I had a choice. I could be a pussy and run away, or I could be a man and confront. I made the latter, that was my CHOICE. And then when I entered I was near instantly killed by a horny toad demon. That, is what we call, the consequence.

So we can now reasonably conclude that Diablo 1, indeed, has choice & consequence.

puts down chalk

That's textbook, folks. C&C, doesn't just stand for Command & Conquer!

bell rings

See you all on Monday and remember to bring $5 for the PIZZA LUNCH next Wednesday!

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Absolute shit comment. The Hell mod for Diablo 1 is the best thing that could have happened to the game.

Wrong. The Hell mod is for non-canon Hellfire, which is decline from the outset. But then they casualized it further by adding unlimited storage and confetti loot.

The Hell has no confetti loot, and unlimited storage being a deal breaker for you, when the rest of the game has become much, much harder? Absolute nonsense.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
The Hell has no confetti loot, and unlimited storage being a deal breaker for you, when the rest of the game has become much, much harder? Absolute nonsense.

The Hell mod is easier than the original and authoritative Diablo 1.09, you twit. You'd know that if you had even played 1.09, you twit. The storage in Hell mod isn't just infinite, but is also transferrable between characters. That alone makes the Hell mod easier than 1.09, which is as hard as nails for newbies and represents peak filtration vs. newbies.

Also, show me their sourcecode.

Kalin , what is "a poz kit" in the context you recently employed the term?

Curratum

What confuses me about Lilura is that he is willing to put absolute nonsense like Silent Storm and JA in his "best ever" RPG list and to write content about absolute dogshit like Diablo, but you can't see any Dark Souls games anywhere.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
but you can't see any Dark Souls games anywhere.

It's ranked in my archery write-up. Lrn2read.

Also, calling SS, JA2 and Diablo absolute nonsense and absolute dogshit just means you're a shitposter with a limited vocab, and bad taste. Please, step up your game. You're in the big-leagues now.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
NOW HOLD ON THERE I KNOW RPGS AND I SAY DIABLO IS AN RPG.

C&C? Try this: level 3 Sorcerer, down in the second floor, see a big ominous room with what looks like tons of dead bodies.

20140711.png

Curratum

but you can't see any Dark Souls games anywhere.

It's ranked in my archery write-up. Lrn2read.

Also, calling SS, JA2 and Diablo absolute nonsense and absolute dogshit just means you're a shitposter with a limited vocab, and bad taste. Please, step up your game. You're in the big-leagues now.

In order to enjoy games like SS and JA2, you need to be deeply, fundamentally in love with numbers, and I'm not at all. Even if you were in love with numbers, you could still never really call them RPGs, but I hate the semantics discussions.

As for Diablo, any Diablo or any of its clones, spending time with those games beyond a casual run through to see the locations, enemies and pretty spells, is usually a sign of autism. The numbers here aren't even as exciting and as meaningful as they are in SS and JA2 as so much of it is driven by RNG, it's just a one huge exercise in tedium.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom