Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lilura's Blog: An Ongoing Codexian Obsession

How do you rate lilura1.blogspot.com's commentary?

• Total voters
Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
It’s been a couple of years, but I think my warrior would keep in town a set of +magic gear, which does let you go past the class ability limit of 99.

Yes, that's what I meant by twinking. But still, cranking magic is going to be at the expense of the all-important Dexterity. 105 magic is not easy for warriors to attain. Moreover, you need to farm a Teleport book, which are random drops or Adria farms once the 12th of 16 dungeons has been reached.

My point is that it's a twink.

They have a higher magic requirement to read, but improve the spells damage.

Spell level impacts other variables as well, including mana burn per casting.

Still, for Teleport one can never have enough mana. Even 1,000 mana is burned through in no time. I hate chugging pots and buying new ones from Adria. Even 12th level teleport has 15 point mana burn. Stark contrast to Diablo 2, where Teleporting is basically infinite due to regenerating mana pool setups.

(Please note that all of my comments pertain to 1.09. I acknowledge no other version of Diablo.)

Codex Year of the Donut
(RPGs gotta stop being pussy and bring back enemies that can permanently fuck your character btw).
How I detest namby-pamby whiners that expect to play a real RPG without threat of character death or loss of a level, stat points, or even choice magic items! Without such possibilities, what it the purpose of play, a race to see which character can have the greatest level, highest stats, and largest horde of treasure?
Gary Gygax

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Nice tips, keep them coming.
screen00.jpg

jackofshadows

Magister
It's not likely that you can succeed in only one playthrough. Not without being an expert, knowing the game well, getting exta lucky or by employing exploits.
You mean sperging solo MP Hell, right? Because one-shotting SP in the original game should be piss easy for anyone around here.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I completed Diablo with a warrior and rogue without ever restarting. It wasn't a walk in the park, but I did it. :M

Never tried sorcerer, creature immunities and having to rely on random spell drops doesn't seem fun.

agris

Arcane
Patron
It's not likely that you can succeed in only one playthrough. Not without being an expert, knowing the game well, getting exta lucky or by employing exploits.
You mean sperging solo MP Hell, right? Because one-shotting SP in the original game should be piss easy for anyone around here.
You’re vastly over-estimating the abilities of most on this site. Most users are quest-compass following, cinematic dialogue-loving, “what are my romance options” modern RPG gaymers.

jackofshadows

Magister
Never tried sorcerer, creature immunities and having to rely on random spell drops doesn't seem fun.
Nah it's fine. You can just ignore some mobs and kill Diablo with fire wall spell (and even if you won't get it any fire/lighning will work) and tons of potions. The latter hardly sounds fun but overall sorcerer gameplay imo is very nice. Better in MP tho.

DaveO

Erudite
I don't see how multiplayer is an option for Diablo I. The community the last time I tried multiplayer consisted of 75% PKs or people exploiting. I don't see any indication that this has changed.

DaveO

Erudite
One could make arguments of which era or time frame presented the best games before the quality, innovation and in my opinion bravery become almost forgotten. Now don't forgot that things tend to go in cycles whether that is in history, politics, gaming, or elsewhere. There was the 8 bit era that led to both the highs and lows before the video game crash of the 80s. Then IBM entered the picture with the first PCs. Soundblaster made itself into the must-have item. A LOT of companies had their rise in fortunes with the PC era along with other companies having to fold. Apple was back in the market with their multiple varied offerings. The previously mentioned CD-ROM era give rise to a lot of FMV and other ways to interact. Then came the deluge of the Internet era with its many pros and cons. I am of the opinion that the Internet era is where things changed not only in terms of gaming, information and other areas but my firm belief that from the Internet era on, our society changed for the worse. There is far too much fear mongering, word fear, censorship and other things that really took things downhill. We're still sliding down and until some courage and moral fiber become more commonplace things aren't going to change.

Don Peste

Arcane
Lilura Anybody mentioned that the template/theme you use in your blog is... horrible? No trolling, just an honest opinion.
You've got a ton of articles, and I would have liked to check them now that I'm playing IWD, IWD2 and BG, but I find it hard to keep track of what I read and what's left to read, and in the end I just give up. None of those styles (Classic, Flipcard, Magazine, etc.) seem to be of much help. I mean in comparison with a traditional layout. (e.g. I use Blogger too in my tiny old blog with the "Simple Dark" theme. No infinite scrolling, that's EE haram stuff).

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
>Refuses to recognize Underrail and Kingmaker as modern masterpieces
Authoritative CRPG opinion indeed.
Oh, and the reason why is because we shit all over Fallout 1&2.
Stop being butthurt Lilura, Underrail is superior in nearly every way.

Don Peste

Arcane
Lilura I read your message and I was going to reply now that I had a moment, but it seems it's gone. Did you delete it? Maybe you decided it was not worth it, I guess.
Well, anyway, we would probably just "agree to disagree". But I'll give it another go, for sure.

BTW I thought of another example, gamepressure guides: https://guides.gamepressure.com/pillarsofeternity/guide.asp?ID=26982
A left column with all the content, and at the bottom of every section/article, Previous and Next buttons. I think it's simple and efficient.

Testownia

Lilura I read your message and I was going to reply now that I had a moment, but it seems it's gone. Did you delete it? Maybe you decided it was not worth it, I guess.
Well, anyway, we would probably just "agree to disagree". But I'll give it another go, for sure.

BTW I thought of another example, gamepressure guides: https://guides.gamepressure.com/pillarsofeternity/guide.asp?ID=26982
A left column with all the content, and at the bottom of every section/article, Previous and Next buttons. I think it's simple and efficient.

Lilura constantly deletes and/or retroactively edits her messages to look like less of a moron. It doesn't work.

Ladonna

Arcane
I completed Diablo with a warrior and rogue without ever restarting. It wasn't a walk in the park, but I did it. :M

Same. I only completed the game twice, first time with a warrior and that wasn't easy. I was surprised how much easier it was using a rogue on the second run.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
>Refuses to recognize Underrail and Kingmaker as modern masterpieces
Underrail is pretty good. But as much as I like Kingmaker, it ain't a masterpiece. That game has a LOT of holes if you sit down and think about it.

Her main issue is that she's stuck in the past. The warm blanket of the known. I, for one, refuse to be that way.

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
Underrail is pretty good. But as much as I like Kingmaker, it ain't a masterpiece. That game has a LOT of holes if you sit down and think about it.

Her main issue is that she's stuck in the past. The warm blanket of the known. I, for one, refuse to be that way.
I can agree that Kingmaker has many, many flaws. But I've yet to find an isometric CRPG where the character building is so Goddamn fun, and the combat, which is good on its own, gets enhanced even further by the freedom you're granted with character building. If Arcanum can be considered a masterpiece despite its dogshit combat, I think Kingmaker can be as well despite its flaws. It's just on the other side of the spectrum, and completely dependent on how much you value combat and the underlying mechanics of it.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Lilura , are you super thrilled about the D2 remaster? Awesome, right?

Indeed, I've already begun cynically farming Resurrected SEO.

As I did with Baldur's Gate 3.

Don't tell anyone, but I haven't played and won't ever play BG3 or Resurrected.

But that won't stop me posting about them: the hallmark of gaming journalism.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Haven't we gone through this before? It's not selling out.

Also, when is your blog starting up?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom