Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Linux RPG list

Are you willing to give Linux a chance?

• I am already on Linux

• Didn't know so much incline was available on Linux, might consider it

• There is a game that i really really have to play and is unavailable, else i might consider it

• I am a Windowsfag, i love viruses, malware, NSA spying on me, DRM, and all that

Results are only viewable after voting.

Luka-boy

Arcane
I've wanted to play a bunch of PSP Games because it's a handheld I never had access to but I've heard PSP emulation is absolute garbage.
:what:

PSP has one of the best emulators projects I've ever seen, PPSSPP. Managed to make huge progress really fast back in the day without any Patreon bux and for the past six or seven years, both on Windows and Linux on different PCs, every time I wanted to replay a PSP game I used PPSSPP without any issues.

I mean, maybe I've been lucky or things have changed recently and the project has done retarded shit, but this is genuinely the first time I've seen anyone on the internet say that PSP emulation is crap even if it's just rumours they heard.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
I've wanted to play a bunch of PSP Games because it's a handheld I never had access to but I've heard PSP emulation is absolute garbage.

PSP has one of the best emulators projects I've ever seen, PPSSPP. Managed to make huge progress really fast back in the day without any Patreon bux and for the past six or seven years, both on Windows and Linux on different PCs, every time I wanted to replay a PSP game I used PPSSPP without any issues.

I mean, maybe I've been lucky or things have changed recently and the project has done retarded shit, but this is genuinely the first time I've seen anyone on the internet say that PSP emulation is crap even if it's just rumours they heard.
Looked into it more. PSP emulation on retropi is dog shit and is what I was looking at because that's originally where I wanted it. They may not use ppsspp though for whatever techy reason. The new raspberry Pi is strong enough for it, there's just some fucky shit happening

This was also like 3 years ago so who knows how things work now

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

Looked into it more. PSP emulation on retropi is dog shit and is what I was looking at because that's originally where I wanted it. They may not use ppsspp though for whatever techy reason. The new raspberry Pi is strong enough for it, there's just some fucky shit happening

This was also like 3 years ago so who knows how things work now

Retro Pi is based upon the Raspberry Pi hardware, which started out with 512MB of RAM. The Raspberry Pi 4 Model B has upped that to 1GB to 4 GB models, but Retro Pi was initially programmed for the older 512MB version. This is fine for emulating NES, SNES, and Sega Genesis games. You start running into problems when you are trying to emulate games from the PS1 generation and newer systems. It's not that Retro Pi is "shit" as you believe. You are using the wrong tool. Retro Pi is fine if you want to emulate games on a easily portable emulator, since the Raspberry Pi is lighter than many smart phones and only needs a cable for the TV, hard disk for storage, and a controller with a USB connector. If you want to emulate later games on a laptop you should use something like RetroArch or emulators built for specific systems. For PSP emulation, use PPSSPP like Luka-boy suggests.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
The PPSSPP is one of the most optimized/smooth/lightweight emulator that I have seen in recent years.

Eisen

Learned
I remember running Valkyria Chronicles 2(PPSSPP) on my 2006 gpu at constant 30 fps

Absinthe

Arcane
If you use Ubuntu/Linux Mint you deserve all the fucking problems noobs have with Linux.

If you're going to use Linux, learn to use it properly or don't bother using it at all.

thesoup

Arcane
If you use Ubuntu/Linux Mint you deserve all the fucking problems noobs have with Linux.

If you're going to use Linux, learn to use it properly or don't bother using it at all.
A bit harsh but ultimately true. If you want to switch over from windows you should be open minded enough to learn to do things the linux / unix way and not just expect windows without the microsoft branding.

Bruma Hobo

Lurker

A bit harsh but ultimately true. If you want to switch over from windows you should be open minded enough to learn to do things the linux / unix way and not just expect windows without the microsoft branding.
Except that a free and more customizable Windows without telemetry is already a great alternative for those who don't care about learning to use a completely different OS. I used LMDE for about a year and never had a single problem.

thesoup

Arcane

Except that a free and more customizable Windows without telemetry is already a great alternative for those who don't care about learning to use a completely different OS. I used LMDE for about a year and never had a single problem.
Then you have no reason to complain about issues you run into when replicating your windows experience on another os. Windows will always be best at running windows software and providing a windows experience.

The unix way is superior to windows in many areas and you're just gimping yourself if you stubbornly refuse to learn new things.

Absinthe

Arcane
It's more the fact that using Linux you will eventually find yourself with problems that require using the command-line shell, delving into config files, reading the occasional manpage, compiling your own shit, etc. It's honestly not hard to learn how to navigate a shell, handle the occasional config file, read a manual, or run a compile command, but if you can't do that because you resist learning anything about Linux's strengths, you will sooner or later run into problems that will frustrate you and solutions that all look like voodoo rituals only to realize that maybe those tailored solutions weren't even meant for the distro (or version of distro) that you are currently running or were intended for a similar problem but not the actual problem you have and if your luck is sour you just set yourself up for new problems by fixing what wasn't broken in a manner intended for a setup that wasn't yours as you tried to fix what was broken, which you still haven't fixed yet because you have no idea what the hell you are doing. And it will make you wish you weren't using Linux.

If you expect Linux to deliver everything Windows did the way Windows did it instead of learning how Linux actually works, you're going to suffer. And distros that try to be Windows set you up for that pain.

Last edited:

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

I don't like it. While I agree with your incredibly generous spin, the original comment comes off as classic elitist bullshit that drives away new people from Linux. I had to learn Linux because I got a Computer Science degree from a department obsessed with open-source software. I struggled with it and I only stuck with it because I had an incredibly strong incentive to not fail my classes and waste a ton of money. Most people don't have that kind of drive or motivation to dive deeply into Linux, and they shouldn't have to. Linux shouldn't be some obscure operating system only for 1337 computer hackers™. It should be for everyone, and that includes people who don't want to even look at a terminal. While I agree that Linux shouldn't be a poor-man's Windows clone (user-friendly is often wrongly attributed to things that are familiar), there should be distros available for non-technical people. No one is going to take Arch or Gentoo away from you, but a larger Linux community benefits everyone.

If someone wants to get away from Windows due to privacy concerns, but still wants to be able to play their games, I'll point them to Ubuntu. I'll point them to Steam. I'll point them to Lutris and show them how to use community-provided install scripts so they don't have to fuck around configuring Wine themselves. Will they run into issues? Almost assuredly. But they can deal with problems bit-by-bit instead of having to dive into the deep end where they'll likely get overly-frustrated and run back to Windows.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Of course there is only one True Linux

Last edited:
I main arch loonix as a main driver, but i've pretty much given up on the idea of gaming on it. Yeah, you can get it to work, but it's never quite as simple as the fanboys want you to believer, much less so if we are dealing with pirated games. Anyways, i've set up a headless windows machine and just remote into whenever i want to game.

Last edited:

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I main arch loonix as a main driver, but i've pretty much given up on the idea of gaming on it. Yeah, you can get it to work, but it's never quite as simple as the fanboys want you to believer, much less so if we are dealing with pirated games. Anyways, i've set up a headless windows machine and just remote into whenever i want to game.

I game 100% on Linux, but if there was a massive regression in Linux compatibility for some reason, this is how I'd do it if I could justify owning two gaming machines. What do you use for streaming? Moonlight?

A project I've been watching is called WinApps: https://github.com/Fmstrat/winapps

It's essentially an RDP connection into a Windows remote server or VM that creates seamless RDP windows and integrates with your desktop environment to give the illusion of running natively. I'm not sure how it would work with gaming though.

Absinthe

Arcane
If you're going to do shit like that, why not just run a VM with GPU passthrough.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
If you're going to do shit like that, why not just run a VM with GPU passthrough.

I've never played around with GPU passthrough, but, from what I understand, it doesn't seem like an improvement over dual booting with a single GPU. This might get better if we ever get the ability to split a single GPU's resources like you can with cores of a CPU (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXUS1W7Ifys). With two GPUs, it's a much nicer experience, but there are still some Windows games you won't be able to run in a VM, like anything with aggressive client-side anticheats or, well, rootkits. For those you have to run natively. Streaming or dual booting are your only options for now.

Those kinds of games are almost always multiplayer shooters like Fortnite, PUBG, Valorant, etc. which I'm not interested in.

Last edited:

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I've never played around with GPU passthrough, but, from what I understand, it doesn't seem like an improvement over dual booting

I haven't tried it myself but one major improvement is not having to reboot for playing a quick game in the middle of doing something else. E.g. say i start downloading something or wait for some long build or computation to finish, so i want to play a bit of Doom or whatever (or Doom is available natively but you get the idea).

OSK

Arcane
Patron
I've never played around with GPU passthrough, but, from what I understand, it doesn't seem like an improvement over dual booting

I haven't tried it myself but one major improvement is not having to reboot for playing a quick game in the middle of doing something else. E.g. say i start downloading something or wait for some long build or computation to finish, so i want to play a bit of Doom or whatever (or Doom is available natively but you get the idea).

Sorry, I forgot to mention "with a single GPU" in that sentence. From what I understand you don't have access to the host OS except via SSH or something from the guest OS.

Bastardchops

Augur
Patron
I did have Ubuntu installed on my previous PC but didn't give it much of a chance. Might re-install. Is Ubuntu the best Linux based system?

I game 100% on Linux, but if there was a massive regression in Linux compatibility for some reason, this is how I'd do it if I could justify owning two gaming machines. What do you use for streaming? Moonlight?

A project I've been watching is called WinApps: https://github.com/Fmstrat/winapps

It's essentially an RDP connection into a Windows remote server or VM that creates seamless RDP windows and integrates with your desktop environment to give the illusion of running natively. I'm not sure how it would work with gaming though.

Yeah i use moonlight. I'll check that project out. GNOME / GTK so I guess it's not for me.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Sorry, I forgot to mention "with a single GPU" in that sentence. From what I understand you don't have access to the host OS except via SSH or something from the guest OS.

Yeah that is also what i had in mind, i still think it is better than dual booting since your Linux stuff stay at the background even if you have to exit the game to go back to it (but then even under Windows many games do not really like when you alt+tab :-P).

Yeah dual booting is a huge hassle, and it always somehow breaks down the line whenever I try it. A real hassle to set it up too since you have to disconnect all your drives prior if you don't want windows write its headers into them. Overall, it's a real parasitical affair - like everything windows.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
I did have Ubuntu installed on my previous PC but didn't give it much of a chance. Might re-install. Is Ubuntu the best Linux based system?

There is no "best" Linux distro, though I'm sure some people will try to convince you otherwise. Different distros have different philosophies, different goals, and different intended use-cases. Ubuntu has a strong focus on ease-of-use. It also has the benefit of being the target distro for a lot of games due to it's larger user base. It's larger user base also makes it easier to troubleshoot specific issues you might run into. Just searching "Ubuntu" + your problem will likely give results.

I'll check that project out. GNOME / GTK so I guess it's not for me.

For file integration it just uses .desktop files, so it should work in GNOME, KDE, XFCE, etc., but it looks like it's really only been tested in GNOME. That said, the project is only like 20 days old, so I wouldn't suggest jumping into it yet. Also, it looks like the latency would be shit for gaming, though that's being worked on.

Yeah that is also what i had in mind, i still think it is better than dual booting since your Linux stuff stay at the background even if you have to exit the game to go back to it (but then even under Windows many games do not really like when you alt+tab :-P).

Are you able to switch back to the host OS after handing off the GPU to the guest? I was under the impression you weren't able to do so without a reboot, making it seem worse than dual booting to me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom