Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

List of RPGs with base management mechanics

dkaiser

Barely Literate
Original War - as it's a mixture of RPG and real-time strategy, with the dominant on the latter, base management is one of the main features.
It's understandable if someone doesn't consider it an RPG, as it's definitely not a pure one, but the basic elements are there and it certainly can appeal to an RPG fan, as it did to me. There is a main protagonist and a bunch of companions with their own personalities, all of whom gather experience and improve their skills (combat and non-combat), get new weapons, and - unlike your typical RTS - their death is permanent. There are meaningful choices and consequences that affect the main story, sometimes completely changing the outcomes of some missions. The scale is rather small and it's usually not more than a dozen people involved in a fight. On top of that, there's a lot of good dialogs (although the translation makes Russians speak wonky, which I'm not a fan of) and the story is very well-written (it's loosely based on a sci-fi novel The Last Day of Creation by Wolfgang Jeshke). If we count games like HoMM or Rimworld to be RPGs, Original War is certainly one, too. Besides, any opportunity is good to remind people of this criminally underrated gem :)

p1_2702399_33e47a7f.jpg

Manfred

Literate
I would have thought that the newest Pathfinder game Wrath of the Righteous would be on the list, considering how you build outposts, build up Drezen (your main base in act 3 (have only gotten so far)) etc. Guess you might have missed it.

laclongquan

Arcane
Obscurum Pandemic a total conversion game from FNV (they basically trash all the armor and half the weapons, all the lore and locations).

Imagine a different game but set up in engine of FNV. That's OP.

Basically you play through game, find the location of VIPS, which is the final boss. Kill them. Get reward with a base and enter Empire Mod.
Building the base is simple enough, but the Empire mode is the major thrust. You invest items to produce empire military to fight through the lands, which make them appear on the map. If they kill hostile, bonus point. If they get killed, minus point. Total point is your empire presence which determine the frequency and number of hostile respawn. If they fight alone, the balance is slightly tilting toward hostile. So you need to go out and kill hostiles tilt balance back. If presence is strong, they can suppress most of hostile spawns. But it's not eternal, because there's Ghost-type of enemies that doesnt get suppressed, so they can kill even strongest-presence militia thus affect the balance. And there's some suicider type of hostile that once not suppressed and can get respawn, they can kill easily given a chance. So the balance is quite fluid.

Anyway, that empire mod is quite interesting.

Codex Year of the Donut
I would have thought that the newest Pathfinder game Wrath of the Righteous would be on the list, considering how you build outposts, build up Drezen (your main base in act 3 (have only gotten so far)) etc. Guess you might have missed it.
what would this be classified as?
Desiderius

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
what would this be classified as?
Desiderius
Wrath and P:K should fit in this thread I’d think.

Guess I’d say Important for Wrath but should have been (a) main feature.

Acrux

Arcane
I'm surprised you haven't yet included King Arthur: A Knight's Tale given how much you liked it.

Incendax

Augur
World of Warcraft with it's garrison bullshit, where you can pick buildings, upgrade them, and send minions on contrived "quests" for resources and story advancement.

Important, because they actually gate content behind doing it.

SumDrunkGuy

Well if Fallout 4 counts then Chernobylite probably does too.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
DA3 is shit, but it's management garbage cannot be ignored since the game won't advance without it.

Codex Year of the Donut
Codex Year of the Donut
op updated, missed a bunch suggested for some reasons, apologies

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom