Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

List of the best games of all time

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
People nominated A LOT of weird games, let's keep the ones on the final list and use some common sense. System Shock 2 is an RPG, System Shock 1 isn't - there's a MASSIVE difference between both, 2 has classes, stats, xp and other things 1 doesn't.

Plane Escapee

Your friend
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
felipepepe will you accept votes for Crusader Kings and other borderline cases for the Top non-RPG list that were accepted in the Top RPGs of All Time vote (but ultimately didn't make that list) for the non-RPG list?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
felipepepe will you accept votes for Crusader Kings and other borderline cases for the Top non-RPG list that were accepted in the Top RPGs of All Time vote (but ultimately didn't make that list) for the non-RPG list?
Yes. I think a lot of people in the Codex love it, but it wasn't nowhere near the Top 101, so that pretty much proves that people don't consider it an RPG.

Gregz

Arcane
3 Points:
FTL: Faster Than Light (2012)

Didn't we have FTL in the RPG voting lists?

Despite what the Hivemind wants you to believe, some games' RPG tags are open to interpretation. Another example would be Jagged Alliance 2 with it's heavy focus on squad-based-tactics gameplay elements. Murky waters wait to be navigated as delicious drama surely shall unfold during the course of the voting process.

Who cares if the Codex fights, I'm betting there are 2-3 great games that I haven't played. This poll will smoke them out.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The problem with that is that I don't think lot of people are into strategy games, or most of other genre. The only one as popular as RPG I can think of is FPS. Or maybe horror games.

Strategy games are a historically PC genre though, and this is a list of PC games on a (mostly) PC focused forum. So you'd think they'd have a better shot over stuff like Hollow Night or Devil May Cry than an IGN list would. Who knows though, I very rarely play a strategy game that isn't at least half RPG.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
The no console exclusive rule is dumb. Makes sense in the top RPGs vote 'cause this is primarily a CRPG site. But since this is in the General Gaming section I think console games should be allowed.
It would cause issues with console RPGs. Better to make a separate vote for that.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
The no console exclusive rule is dumb. Makes sense in the top RPGs vote 'cause this is primarily a CRPG site. But since this is in the General Gaming section I think console games should be allowed.
It would cause issues with console RPGs. Better to make a separate vote for that.

How would that be a problem?
Just say no RPG's of any kind

Jason Liang

Arcane
Someone explain to me the "spirit" of no console.

For example, I'm pretty sure a large number of Codexers played Breath of the Wild on emulator, not switch.

Also what about arcade, mobile and browser games.

Or perhaps what we are going for is Codex best non-RPG Steam games of all time.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
By the way, octavius, System Shock is in the RPG lists, so you cannot vote for it. See Rule 2 in the OP there.
King's Bounty is also an RPG but a lot of people decided to vote for it,including me. I am surprised that none is voting for deusex,do hope it is because everyone is seeing it as an RPG.

Gregz

Arcane
By the way, octavius, System Shock is in the RPG lists, so you cannot vote for it. See Rule 2 in the OP there.
King's Bounty is also an RPG but a lot of people decided to vote for it,including me. I am surprised that none is voting for deusex,do hope it is because everyone is seeing it as an RPG.

Is Deus Ex an RPG?

Consult RPG elements list: Deus Ex contains RPG elements #3, #5, #6, #8, #9, #10, #11, and #12.
Add the number of RPG elements: 8 total
Consult the threshold table: 8, therefore Deus Ex is generally agreed upon as an RPG

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...eneral-codex-theory-of-what-is-an-rpg.106544/

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

Is Deus Ex an RPG?

Consult RPG elements list: Deus Ex contains RPG elements #3, #5, #6, #8, #9, #10, #11, and #12.
Add the number of RPG elements: 8 total
Consult the threshold table: 8, therefore Deus Ex is generally agreed upon as an RPG

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...eneral-codex-theory-of-what-is-an-rpg.106544/

As Felipe mentioned above, everything that's not in the Top 101 RPG and is not reasonably an RPG is open for voting. System Shock 1 is (not in Top 101 and not an RPG (according to some, I would disagree for example hence I haven't voted for it), System Shock 2 and Deus Ex are in the Top 101 and thus out, but if they weren't you could argue about their merits as RPGs or not, but no need right now).

curds

Magister
I am surprised that none is voting for deusex,do hope it is because everyone is seeing it as an RPG.

I didn't vote for it because of the nothing in the top 101 rule. Personally I don't see it as an RPG (I'd say 1st person action-adventure/FPS), and would have placed it as no. 1 otherwise.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I do have a question, some people voted Slay the Spire and Stardew Valley, which I think fall both under the RPG rule?

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
felipepepe You probably should clear up whether it's no RPGs at all or just no RPGs from the Top 101 list, otherwise people will put in those like FF8 and the Rance games in Jason's list, which is absurd on a non-RPG vote

Last edited:

Jason Liang

Arcane
FF8 is a card game/ Visual Novel
Rance X is squad management/ card collection
Kichikou Rance is grand strategy
rx_wt_103.png

rx_wt_065.png

Rance X

kichikuou_rance_screen_4.jpg

kichikuou_rance_screen_7.jpg

kichikuou-rance.jpg

Kichikou Rance

ff8_triple_triad_before_field_exam_opponent_card_play.png

Final Fantasy 8

Last edited:

catfood

AGAIN
Meh, there are simply too many good games to choose from. I think a separate top list of strategy games and another of adventures would have been better.
The problem with that is that I don't think lot of people are into strategy games, or most of other genre. The only one as popular as RPG I can think of is FPS. Or maybe horror games.
This forum went out of its way to make subforums for strategy and adventure games. Yes, a separate list would be justified.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
felipepepe You probably should clear up whether it's no RPGs at all or just no RPGs from the Top 101 list, otherwise people will put in those like FF8 and the Rance games in Jason's list, which is absurd on a non-RPG vote
The list is literally called "NON-RPG PC games", how is this even a question?

Also, it's better to make a general vote and then split the results into categories than doing the opposite.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
The list is literally called "NON-RPG PC games", how is this even a question?

Also, it's better to make a general vote and then split the results into categories than doing the opposite.

I thought so too, but its not uncommon to have people with reading comprehension on this site

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
FF8 is a card game/ Visual Novel

I don't know enough about the Rance games, so maybe you're right, but FF8 is a full-blown jRPG, so stop the bullshit, otherwise you just lose the points that you could have put into a real non-RPG

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom