Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

List of the must play games

MMXI

Arcane
BG2 had a lot of challenging fights and enemies. I still remember most of them. BG was much easier and I don't remember anything even remotely challenging. Maybe it's my memory, maybe it's the fact that you had a low level, easy to kill, "handle with care" party, maybe because it was their first game and they wanted to ease people in.
The improved Sarevok and especially Aec'Letec (we are counting TotSC here, right?) are among the hardest fights in the series if you don't cheese through them. Other than that, you cannot "zerg" the majority of later fights with spell casters. Early on you may be able to get away with it with a couple of reloads because of the low HP to damage ratio, but later on against enemy parties you just cannot swarm your opposition. Also, there are plenty of great party versus party fights in Baldur's Gate. These are by far the best kind of fights in any D&D game. Baldur's Gate II had a few as well, with the one in the inn in Waukeen's Promenade being the one that sticks in my mind, but the game seemed to rely far more heavily on tough monster battles instead (against demons, beholders etc).

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
BG2 had a lot of challenging fights and enemies. I still remember most of them. BG was much easier and I don't remember anything even remotely challenging. Maybe it's my memory, maybe it's the fact that you had a low level, easy to kill, "handle with care" party, maybe because it was their first game and they wanted to ease people in.
The improved Sarevok and especially Aec'Letec (we are counting TotSC here, right?) are among the hardest fights in the series if you don't cheese through them. Other than that, you cannot "zerg" the majority of later fights with spell casters. Early on you may be able to get away with it with a couple of reloads because of the low HP to damage ratio, but later on against enemy parties you just cannot swarm your opposition. Also, there are plenty of great party versus party fights in Baldur's Gate. These are by far the best kind of fights in any D&D game. Baldur's Gate II had a few as well, with the one in the inn in Waukeen's Promenade being the one that sticks in my mind, but the game seemed to rely far more heavily on tough monster battles instead (against demons, beholders etc).

Yes, I liked how the game progressed from trash mob hordes in the early game (kobolds, xvarts, gibberlings) to almost exclusively fighting NPC parties near the end. You really needed to do a mental paradigm shift midgame, and redefine your approach.

(IMO, the most memorable party vs party battle was against the badasses at the top of the Iron Throne tower in Chapter V)

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
The improved Sarevok and especially Aec'Letec (we are counting TotSC here, right?)...
Why would we? We're talking about "vanilla" BG the way it came out of the box. At least that's what my impressions are based on. TotSC was a solid and enjoyable expansion, much better than the full game.

Other than that, you cannot "zerg" the majority of later fights with spell casters. Early on you may be able to get away with it with a couple of reloads because of the low HP to damage ratio, but later on against enemy parties you just cannot swarm your opposition.
I played the game once when it was released and I remember only the impression it left on me, not the actual details. I directed my party to take out the spellcasters first, then the rest. I don't recall running into any troubles with this approach.

MMXI

Arcane
Why would we? We're talking about "vanilla" BG the way it came out of the box. At least that's what my impressions are based on. TotSC was a solid and enjoyable expansion, much better than the full game.
Okay. Sarevok without the increased experience cap and the Durlag's Tower items. The party versus party fight just before you fight Sarevok. The final fight in the Cloakwood mines. Greater basilisks without bothering with protection spells. That group of sirines near the coast. The fight at the top of the Iron Throne tower. The party versus party fight south of the Gullykin area. Even early encounters with vampiric wolves east of Beregost can be deadly without precaution.

I played the game once when it was released and I remember only the impression it left on me, not the actual details. I directed my party to take out the spellcasters first, then the rest. I don't recall running into any troubles with this approach.
So basically I'm arguing with someone who is mixing the game up with... I dunno, Dungeon Siege or something? You're just simply wrong. One little example is that you cannot just swarm greater basilisks and survive without an extreme amount of luck or reloads.

GordonHalfman

Scholar
I remember BG being pretty easy once everyone had ranged weapons and you'd recruited a decent tank or two. Weren't wands of summoning kind of busted as well? Also the Haste spell must be the most consistently overpowered thing in RPG history. BG had more sensible equipment than BG2 though.

But generally "easy once you figure it out" isn't really a valid criticism for an RPG since figuring it out is half the fun. (As long as you have a bit more to think about than "spam the harm/cone of cold spell".) Higher difficulties or mods are needed to enjoy multiple plays but that's kind of expected.

Vault Dweller

Developer
So basically I'm arguing with someone who is mixing the game up with... I dunno, Dungeon Siege or something?
Yeah, let's reach.

You're just simply wrong.
If you say so.

One little example is that you cannot just swarm greater basilisks and survive without an extreme amount of luck or reloads.
Having to cast a spell to avoid being petrified (insta-death) or dominated doesn't make combat tactical. Buy the protection scrolls, use them,"swarm" the basilisk. Ta-da. Tactical depth? I don't think so. How many basilisk encounters are in the game? 1? 2 tops?

Same with the sirens. They surprised me at first (I think you can talk to them before they turn hostile and start casting spells) and I lost two characters to domination. I didn't have any spells or scrolls handy, so I reloaded and "swarmed" them. They managed to dominate a fighter (Minsc, I think), I finished them off, moved the rest of the party away and waited for the domination effect to expire. Maybe I got insanely lucky (which I doubt), maybe the fight wasn't that hard to begin with (and if you have dispel handy, it's even easier).

Vault Dweller

Developer
I remember BG being pretty easy once everyone had ranged weapons and you'd recruited a decent tank or two. Weren't wands of summoning kind of busted as well? Also the Haste spell must be the most consistently overpowered thing in RPG history. BG had more sensible equipment than BG2 though.

But generally "easy once you figure it out" isn't really a valid criticism for an RPG since figuring it out is half the fun.
I don't think that it takes much time (any time?) to figure all that out. Tanks, ranged, summoned fodder, etc.

MMXI

Arcane
Having to cast a spell to avoid being petrified (insta-death) or dominated doesn't make combat tactical. Buy the protection scrolls, use them,"swarm" the basilisk. Ta-da. Tactical depth? I don't think so. How many basilisk encounters are in the game? 1? 2 tops?
Are you following the conversation or not? Let's see how it went:

Vault Dweller said:
MMXI said:
Vault Dweller said:
MMXI said:
Other than that, you cannot "zerg" the majority of later fights with spell casters. Early on you may be able to get away with it with a couple of reloads because of the low HP to damage ratio, but later on against enemy parties you just cannot swarm your opposition.
So basically I'm arguing with someone who is mixing the game up with... I dunno, Dungeon Siege or something? You're just simply wrong. One little example is that you cannot just swarm greater basilisks and survive without an extreme amount of luck or reloads.
You see? This greater basilisk example was one that demonstrates the need to do more than just "zerg" all your opposition. Whining about the example not being tactical is irrelevant to the reason I gave the example in the first place, and the reason I gave greater basilisks as an example is because it's almost impossible to swarm them without protection spells because of their HP, their attack speed, their range, and their high chance to petrify you at the level in which you combat them. In many ways they are the best example of enemies you cannot just swarm in the entire series, along with perhaps Beholders if you meet them early on in Baldur's Gate II. Both are instant death machines without preparation, even if the preparations are indeed quite trivial.

EDIT: I thought all you did in Baldur's Gate was group attack spell-casters followed by the rest of the enemies. It's good to know that you actually did drink appropriate potions and cast appropriate spells.

Vault Dweller said:
Same with the sirens. They surprised me at first (I think you can talk to them before they turn hostile and start casting spells) and I lost two characters to domination. I didn't have any spells or scrolls handy, so I reloaded and "swarmed" them. They managed to dominate a fighter (Minsc, I think), I finished them off, moved the rest of the party away and waited for the domination effect to expire. Maybe I got insanely lucky (which I doubt), maybe the fight wasn't that hard to begin with (and if you have dispel handy, it's even easier).
That's fair. You failed first time because of domination. The next time there was a rather large chance that Minsc would one hit kill your fragile spell casters while you were finishing the sirines off. Of course, an easy way to beat them with Minsc in the party is to use his berserk/rage ability and let him solo them.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Are you following the conversation or not? Let's see how it went...
Let's see how it started:

me: ...crappy real-time combat...
you: Only a handful of cRPGs have combat that is more tactical than the Baldur's Gate games. Compared to Fallout and Arcanum its combat system is godly.
me: The game was as tactical as any game with party members.
you: So you just zerged every encounter and won the game?
me: Why try anything else if the simplest thing works? A game becomes tactical when you HAVE to use tactics to beat it.

So, what changed now that you decided to make inquiries? I didn't say I zerged every encounter, you did. I didn't say that I've never used any potion, spell, scroll, etc. I used potions, spells, and abilities in Skyrim and Kingdom of Amalur too. Doesn't make these games tactical, does it?

You see? This greater basilisk example was one that demonstrates the need to do more than just "zerg" all your opposition.
See above. Doing more than "group and target" doesn't make a game tactical, challenging, or good.

EDIT: I thought all you did in Baldur's Gate was group attack spell-casters followed by the rest of the enemies. It's good to know that you actually did drink appropriate potions and cast appropriate spells.
I can hardly be held responsible for what you thought I did. I had two spellcasters (well, there, if you count the paladin), so of course I used spells. What does it change? Is every party game with spellcaster tactical by definition?

Dragon Age 2, for example, had a party, spell casters, waves of enemies, yet the combat can only be described as "crappy real-time combat". Same with BG. It's clear that you liked the game and think that it (or at least the combat) was great. I'm happy for you and have no intentions of trying to convince you that something you liked sucked.

MMXI

Arcane
me: ...crappy real-time combat...
you: Only a handful of cRPGs have combat that is more tactical than the Baldur's Gate games. Compared to Fallout and Arcanum its combat system is godly.
me: The game was as tactical as any game with party members.
you: So you just zerged every encounter and won the game?
me: Why try anything else if the simplest thing works? A game becomes tactical when you HAVE to use tactics to beat it.

So, what changed now that you decided to make inquiries? I didn't say I zerged every encounter, you did. I didn't say that I've never used any potion, spell, scroll, etc. I used potions, spells, and abilities in Skyrim and Kingdom of Amalur too. Doesn't make these games tactical, does it?
This is golden. I didn't say that you zerged every encounter. I asked you whether you zerged every encounter:
MMXI said:
So you just zerged every encounter and won the game?
To which you replied:
Vault Dweller" said:
Why try anything else if the simplest thing works?
So you did confirm that you zerged every encounter, because "Why try anything else if the simplest thing works?"

See above. Doing more than "group and target" doesn't make a game tactical, challenging, or good.
Of course not, but it certainly makes it better than "group and target". Or "aim for the eyes". Or even "cast fireballs at groups of enemies" like in many of the battles in the lower level Gold Box games.

I can hardly be held responsible for what you thought I did. I had two spellcasters (well, there, if you count the paladin), so of course I used spells. What does it change? Is every party game with spellcaster tactical by definition?
What does it change? Are you denying that 90% of the tactics in AD&D games comes from spell casting? Compared to games like Dragon Age: Origins where every character class gets mage-like abilities wrapped up in disguises I'd say that the system heavily leans towards spell casting importance. So yes, in an AD&D game the number of spell casters you have to play with does indeed have a huge effect on the tactical considerations. Is Baldur's Gate with 0 spell casters tactical? Hell no. Is Baldur's Gate with 4 spell casters tactical? Hell yes. In fact, this here is a western RPG tradition, coming straight from its wargame roots. This is in stark contrast to JRPGs in which every character, no matter what their role is, has a similar number of combat options, a design borrowed by western developers like BioWare and MMORPG developers in recent years, though you could trace it back to the likes of Diablo 2. Of course, I'm sure you know this.

Dragon Age 2, for example, had a party, spell casters, waves of enemies, yet the combat can only be described as "crappy real-time combat". Same with BG. It's clear that you liked the game and think that it (or at least the combat) was great. I'm happy for you and have no intentions of trying to convince you that something you liked sucked.
That's interesting. Personally, Dragon Age II is one of the least tactical party based "RPGs" I've ever played. In fact, it was even less tactical than the early turn-based blobbers such as The Bard's Tale and Phantasie, considering you can just let the AI control everything while you button mash the abilities of a single character.

But Baldur's Gate? Well, it's a hell of a lot more tactical than those two games. It's far more tactical than the two Dark Sun D&D games. It's even more tactical than the majority of the Gold Box games due to the repetitiveness of their encounters. It's more tactical than Darklands, it's more tactical than all three Realms of Arkania games. It's more tactical than all the Ultima games and all the Ultima clones. It's more tactical than the Wizardry series with the exception of Wizardry 8 perhaps (the most complex/tactical western blobber I've played), and it's definitely a hell of a lot more tactical than the Might and Magic games.

It's certainly less tactical than JA2, ToEE and KotC, but these three games are usually placed right at the top of the ladder. You could probably make a case for Wizard's Crown and The Eternal Dagger, as well as perhaps the games made by Tom Proudfoot, but in my opinion the balance and content lets these games down severely.

What's your take on tactical hierarchy within cRPGs? Is Baldur's Gate less tactical than the very first Wizardry? I've played countless cRPGs in my time and I'm finding it extremely hard to push Baldur's Gate out of the top 5%.

EDIT: Oh and in before "CRPGs generally aren't tactical. I'm comparing these games to turn-based tactics games."

Vault Dweller

Developer
So you did confirm that you zerged every encounter, because "Why try anything else if the simplest thing works?"
The reason I'm making this distinction is because it's too specific a claim, easily countered by "well, *I* couldn't do it because I was too slow or too unlucky or whatever, so what you say doesn't apply to me". Thus, it's not my *argument*.

So, once again, I consider the game's combat crappy because it was too easy and lacked proper depth, regardless of the manner in which you played it.

Of course not, but it certainly makes it better than "group and target". Or "aim for the eyes". Or even "cast fireballs at groups of enemies" like in many of the battles in the lower level Gold Box games.
Techanically, yes. Group and target and cast a spell is marginally more complex than group and target.

What does it change? Are you denying that 90% of the tactics in AD&D games comes from spell casting? Compared to games like Dragon Age: Origins where every character class gets mage-like abilities wrapped up in disguises I'd say that the system heavily leans towards spell casting importance.
So, is Dragon Age 2 more tactical than DnD then? According to your logic, spellcasters = tactics and since in DA2 every character has mage-like abilities, the possibilities must be endless.

So yes, in an AD&D game the number of spell casters you have to play with does indeed have a huge effect on the tactical considerations. Is Baldur's Gate with 0 spell casters tactical? Hell no. Is Baldur's Gate with 4 spell casters tactical? Hell yes.
You're probably right, but that's an artificial difficulty mode that doesn't represent the overall difficulty and tactical tools at your disposal (or lack thereof). Spellcasters are meant to be protected (at least until you hit high levels and acquire proper protection spells. Thus, playing without tank's protection is where the challenge comes from, not from the game itself.

You raised an interesting point though - BG with 0 spell casters. Is it doable? I'd say it has to be. So, if this is the case, then how can the game's combat be considered tactical and good, if 6 melee/rangers that have no tactical options can simply slaughter their way through the game "hell no" style?

That's interesting. Personally, Dragon Age II is one of the least tactical party based "RPGs" I've ever played. In fact, it was even less tactical than the early turn-based blobbers such as The Bard's Tale and Phantasie, considering you can just let the AI control everything while you button mash the abilities of a single character.
Precisely my point.

But Baldur's Gate? Well, it's a hell of a lot more tactical than those two games. It's far more tactical than the two Dark Sun D&D games. It's even more tactical than the majority of the Gold Box games due to the repetitiveness of their encounters. It's more tactical than Darklands, it's more tactical than all three Realms of Arkania games. It's more tactical than all the Ultima games and all the Ultima clones. It's more tactical than the Wizardry series with the exception of Wizardry 8 perhaps (the most complex/tactical western blobber I've played), and it's definitely a hell of a lot more tactical than the Might and Magic games.
That's pretty tactical, eh? Now please explain why. For example, why it's less tactical than all three Realms of Arkania combined?

What's your take on tactical hierarchy within cRPGs? Is Baldur's Gate less tactical than the very first Wizardry? I've played countless cRPGs in my time and I'm finding it extremely hard to push Baldur's Gate out of the top 5%.
I barely rememberl the first few Wizardries as I played them more than twenty years ago and haven't touched them since, but I don't recall them being overly tactical. For BG, top 5% is being incredibly generous, I'd say.

It's an interesting topic - rating cRPGs based on their tactical aspect, so maybe you should make a new thread.

MMXI

Arcane
So, is Dragon Age 2 more tactical than DnD then? According to your logic, spellcasters = tactics and since in DA2 every character has mage-like abilities, the possibilities must be endless.
Dragon Age 2 is more tactical than playing Baldur's Gate or Icewind Dale with only fighters and thieves. Dragon Age 2 is also more tactical than playing the Gold Box games with only fighters and thieves, even though you can guard and sweep. However, Dragon Age 2 is far less tactical than playing Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale or the Gold Box games with even a single spell caster, because a single spell caster in AD&D has far more options that matter than any single character in Dragon Age II (you don't have to actively control more than one to win).

You're probably right, but that's an artificial difficulty mode that doesn't represent the overall difficulty and tactical tools at your disposal (or lack thereof). Spellcasters are meant to be protected (at least until you hit high levels and acquire proper protection spells. Thus, playing without tank's protection is where the challenge comes from, not from the game itself.
Sorry, which is an artificial difficulty mode? Zero spell casters or four spell casters? I don't think any sane individual would play with zero spell casters, but four spell casters? That seems perfectly legitimate to me in a well rounded party with some multi-classed characters (and perhaps a dual classed protagonist). I mean, even if you were to have a plain old mage, cleric and bard then that's three decent spell casters. You could have a pure thief, but a multi-classed or dual classed one with a spell casting class is very common. Then a paladin plus fighter for the final two places. Of course you could go for just two spell casters (a cleric and a mage, for example), but having four isn't unusual at all. It's also a hell of a lot more fun because one disadvantage of having a low number of spell casters is that it takes too many rounds to unleash the spells you want in a fight, where as with a group of casters you can lay down most of them in the first round. You could say it makes the game easier, but in my opinion it's ranged attacks (bows, crossbows) that are king in Baldur's Gate 1 and so losing that source of damage (and spell interruption) tends to balance things out. Of course, having four spell casters in Baldur's Gate 2 does indeed make the game far easier due to the increased number of actual damaging spells at higher level (Abi Dalzim's horrid wilting etc).

You raised an interesting point though - BG with 0 spell casters. Is it doable? I'd say it has to be. So, if this is the case, then how can the game's combat be considered tactical and good, if 6 melee/rangers that have no tactical options can simply slaughter their way through the game "hell no" style?
It's doable I'd say, but with a lot of planning, preparation and perhaps even avoidance. It's the same with Baldur's Gate 2 in fact, but it's probably easier in that game due to the amount of items that effectively grant you magic spells as well as the reduced number of tough plot critical fights (most of the hard encounters are optional, including most of the dragons, the liches, kangaxx). There was a time when I killed improved Sarevok in Baldur's Gate 1 with only a single fighter though, but this involved a lot of preparation by casting a load of protection spells, drinking a load of potions and then using some decoy to take the dispel magic that his mage bodyguard casts at the start of the battle. A fighter with strength potions, haste and lots of protection spells can cut him down in seconds. It may seem pretty lame, but thinking back through all the other cRPGs I've played in my life I can think of ways to do similar things in those too.

That's pretty tactical, eh? Now please explain why. For example, why it's less tactical than all three Realms of Arkania combined?
Well, first of all it's probably best for me to say that I think the Realms of Arkania series is the best cRPG series so far. Nothing tops it in my mind, and it's the series I tend to use as an example to others. The series takes all the Infinity Engine games and wipes its arse with them. The series, especially the first two games, is so much better than the likes of Baldur's Gate (and especially Planescape: Torment) that it's embarrassing to even compare them. I feel a similar way about Darklands too (as you mentioned that game earlier), but to a far lesser extent.

But basically I like the Realms of Arkania combat in 2 and 3. The first game was pretty clunky, especially with the lack of diagonal ranged attacks, but by the second game the majority of those obvious flaws had been ironed out. Combat is also similar to AD&D in terms of the usage and usefulness of spells compared to physical attacks, though it has the added advantage of having multiple attack modes (aggressive, careful). Guard works similarly to the Gold Box games but is something else the Infinity Engine games don't have, probably due to the unfortunate switch to real-time combat (though I can think of ways to implement a guard command in a round-based real-time combat system).

The problem is the piss poor and repetitive encounter designs. I actually prefer the combat in the third game to the second because it has slightly better, more interesting and more varied encounters, even though the combat systems themselves are virtually the same. But compared to Baldur's Gate or even Icewind Dale, and also compared to probably every single Gold Box game (with only perhaps a couple of exceptions) the encounters rarely lead to a change in tactics. I know you get your fair share of throw away trash encounters in Baldur's Gate and especially Icewind Dale, but when you hit a good encounter you just know it, and you'll remember it for years. You'll actually be scanning through your spell book page by page figuring out the best spells to use in the fight. You'll probably have to reload a couple of times after discovering what spells the enemy casters can cast (yes, this is probably a bad thing to have to do from a design perspective) to find ways to counter them effectively. And it's actually the spell caster battles in Baldur's Gate and the rest of the Infinity Engine games that are the stand out ones. Without them there's no question that the Realms of Arkania games have more tactical combat.

You probably remember Baldur's Gate 2 better than Baldur's Gate 1 from the sound of it, so just imagine that game without any of the good mage combat encounters. You'll be left with mindflayers and beholders posing the challenge, and you tend to come across those two monsters in areas packed with them so that the boredom and repetition sets in, meaning that things like protection spells and other results of tactics can carry across multiple battles turning the game dumb. At that point you could probably compare the Realms of Arkania combat favourably with it, as the benefits of turn-based, attack types and guarding beat it out for sheer tactical advantages.

Come to think of it, the Realms of Arkania games would be good examples of cRPGs in which you can literally swarm most encounters you come across and win, as long as you've built the party correctly. If you fail to win that way you can cast a spell or two at the start of combat to alleviate your pain and to tip your subsequent swarming over the edge to victory. Brilliant games, a brilliant series, but unfortunately combat wasn't its strong point due to the lack of high quality stand out encounters. And you know what makes this worse? The combat system is good, especially when compared to other cRPGs. This means that the combat could have been brilliant.

I barely remember the first few Wizardries as I played them more than twenty years ago and haven't touched them since, but I don't recall them being overly tactical. For BG, top 5% is being incredibly generous, I'd say.

It's an interesting topic - rating cRPGs based on their tactical aspect, so maybe you should make a new thread.
I'm thinking this too. Perhaps it'll get more people involved in trying to figure out how to measure "tactics". I'm just hoping that the thread won't bring in a lots of mentions of SRPGs, because most of those have similar core gameplay and probably rank higher than the vast majority of cRPGs due to mainly being tactics games at the expense of everything else.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Dragon Age 2 is more tactical than playing Baldur's Gate or Icewind Dale with only fighters and thieves. Dragon Age 2 is also more tactical than playing the Gold Box games with only fighters and thieves, even though you can guard and sweep. However, Dragon Age 2 is far less tactical than playing Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale or the Gold Box games with even a single spell caster, because a single spell caster in AD&D has far more options that matter than any single character in Dragon Age II (you don't have to actively control more than one to win).
It goes without saying that a DnD wizard has an impressive array of spells and that the wizard's strength is versatility. However, it's only one side of the coin. The other is the difficulty & design. You can have the most spectacular number of options, but if the game is easy and you have no reason to use them (other than for your amusement), then the game isn't tactical.

Similarly, the reason that IWD2, for example, is more tactical than DA2 is not because the spellcasters have more options, but because these options are better designed and integrated into the game. Revealing invisible characters, attacking characters that are immune to physical damage, dismissing summoned creatures, shielding mind, etc have a much stronger effect and are needed much more than anything DA2 has to offer.

Sorry, which is an artificial difficulty mode? Zero spell casters or four spell casters?
Four or all spellcasters.

I don't think any sane individual would play with zero spell casters, but four spell casters? That seems perfectly legitimate to me in a well rounded party with some multi-classed characters (and perhaps a dual classed protagonist).
I'm not saying it's not a legitimate way to play. My best ToEE playthrough was with an all rogue (multiclassing allowed) party. My point is that it raises the difficulty significantly, which, in turn, greatly increases the tactical aspect.

Like I said, I played BG once with a vanilla party: paladin, fighter, cleric, ranger, rogue, wizard (which is my equivalent of normal difficulty). My impression was that the game was too easy. I didn't experiment with other parties. I'm sure that soloing the game is a much more challenging and thus tactical experience. BG2 was much more challenging with the same party and required a lot more from me. Thus, I think that BG2 is a very tactical game and BG isn't.

Well, first of all it's probably best for me to say that I think the Realms of Arkania series is the best cRPG series so far. Nothing tops it in my mind, and it's the series I tend to use as an example to others. The series takes all the Infinity Engine games and wipes its arse with them. The series, especially the first two games, is so much better than the likes of Baldur's Gate (and especially Planescape: Torment) that it's embarrassing to even compare them.
No arguing here. Agree with the rest.

MMXI

Arcane
It goes without saying that a DnD wizard has an impressive array of spells and that the wizard's strength is versatility. However, it's only one side of the coin. The other is the difficulty & design. You can have the most spectacular number of options, but if the game is easy and you have no reason to use them (other than for your amusement), then the game isn't tactical.
Yes, I'm fully aware. This is my criticism of Realms of Arkania's combat, as I explained. If you don't take advantage of a decent combat system by including well designed and challenging encounters then it's wasted. Having said that, Baldur's Gate is full of good encounters. I could probably name 30 or so.

Similarly, the reason that IWD2, for example, is more tactical than DA2 is not because the spellcasters have more options, but because these options are better designed and integrated into the game. Revealing invisible characters, attacking characters that are immune to physical damage, dismissing summoned creatures, shielding mind, etc have a much stronger effect and are needed much more than anything DA2 has to offer.
Indeed. That's encounter design, and is the reason why caster versus caster battles in D&D are really fun and tactical. This is because, in D&D, spells affect future spells. In many non pen and paper derived CRPGs you tend to have a lot of spells that directly hurt others, or directly incapacitate them in a similar way. In systems like D&D you have spells that protect from groups of spells, spells that bypass certain protections, spells that cause certain status effects that can be undone by other spells. It's a large system of interlocking causes and effects which shitty systems like Dragon Age's doesn't have. So basically, even if you do have spell casters in your party, D&D isn't very tactical if you remove spell casters from your enemy. This is the reason why battles against spell casters are the best battles in D&D.

I'm not saying it's not a legitimate way to play. My best ToEE playthrough was with an all rogue (multiclassing allowed) party. My point is that it raises the difficulty significantly, which, in turn, greatly increases the tactical aspect.

Like I said, I played BG once with a vanilla party: paladin, fighter, cleric, ranger, rogue, wizard (which is my equivalent of normal difficulty). My impression was that the game was too easy. I didn't experiment with other parties. I'm sure that soloing the game is a much more challenging and thus tactical experience. BG2 was much more challenging with the same party and required a lot more from me. Thus, I think that BG2 is a very tactical game and BG isn't.
Baldur's Gate 2 is probably harder, but with the added kit classes and with the higher level spells there are a lot of ways to beat encounters extremely easily. This tends to be a problem with high level D&D. And don't forget the overwhelming number of potions you pick up during Baldur's Gate 2 (and Throne of Bhaal too). I ended the games with over 250 unused health potions as well as hundreds of assorted potions of other types. This meant that I was way too frugal with my potion usage, and if I were to play the game through in a more reasonable manner the games would be a hell of a lot easier than they were. On the other hand, this wasn't as much the case in the first game. Sure, I finished the game with a handful of strength potions and antidote potions left over, but there wasn't much more I could do to be more efficient.

Another thing that makes Baldur's Gate 2 quite easy? Vorpal weapons. There are plenty of them in the game. When I first played Baldur's Gate 2 I didn't know how effective they were so I donned the Silver Sword after returning from Underdark and went to face Firkraag. I ended up killing him in one swing. Disappointed, I reloaded the game and switched to my best non-vorpal double handed sword and actually had a fun and tactical fight. These things happen way less in the first game. Another instance was when I used the improved Mace of Disruption against Kangaxx. Killed him in one hit after he changed form. Did I reload? Nah, because he was a cheap encounter anyway. Was it tactical? No, because I killed him in one hit. However, I'm pretty sure the Mace of Disruption was meant for Kangaxx.

You've also got to remember that Baldur's Gate 2 is roughly double the size of the first game and so it's fair to allow for double the number of quality encounters, which there probably is. But Baldur's Gate 2 has many areas that are full of the exact same creature. The two beholder lairs, the two illithid lairs and the kuo-toa tunnels are monotonous. What does this have to do with difficulty or tactics? Well, if you've got the same fight repeated over a number of consecutive encounters then you only have to switch tactics and spell selections once at the start, and you only have to perform the same combat steps repeatedly until it becomes a mere pattern in your head.

Of course, don't get me wrong, Baldur's Gate 2 is full of great fights and great areas. I've picked out the worst on purpose. I liked the planar sphere, I liked Firkraag's lair, I even liked the shadow dragon's lair and absolutely loved Watcher's Keep. And the reason these areas were the best? The fights were actually varied.

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
Baldurs Gate 1 was actually harder for me than Baldurs Gate 2. Main reason was that your freaking party in BG1 was so fragile. You could get killed by one hit early on, especially if you were playing a wizard.

Aother annoying thing was those fucking skeletons with ranged attacks (bows) They really pissed me off and I had to reload due to them. Oh and yeah, Sarevok was a tough fight.

By the time BG2 rolled around you had so many hitpoints that arrows were no longer a problem. Also, if you had wizard(s) you had so much firepower that you could blast everything into oblivion. Even priest and druid spellcasters had some kick ass spells, like flamestrike and call lightning.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
I ended the games with over 250 unused health potions as well as hundreds of assorted potions of other types. This meant that I was way too frugal with my potion usage, and if I were to play the game through in a more reasonable manner the games would be a hell of a lot easier than they were. On the other hand, this wasn't as much the case in the first game.
It was the same in the first game. Unlimited magical arrows. Unlimited Arrows of Dispelling? Arrows of Detonation? BG1 is full of items that let you waltz over everything as soon as you can afford them.

You've also got to remember that Baldur's Gate 2 is roughly double the size of the first game and so it's fair to allow for double the number of quality encounters, which there probably is. But Baldur's Gate 2 has many areas that are full of the exact same creature. The two beholder lairs, the two illithid lairs and the kuo-toa tunnels are monotonous.
You mean the beholder lair was full of :gasp: beholders? What were they thinking? If you actually look at the whole area instead (the underdark) it isn't full of the same creature type but nicely varied.

MMXI

Arcane
It was the same in the first game. Unlimited magical arrows. Unlimited Arrows of Dispelling? Arrows of Detonation? BG1 is full of items that let you waltz over everything as soon as you can afford them.
You don't even need to buy health potions to reach 200 or so in Baldur's Gate 2. You do not end up with that much in Baldur's Gate 1. I had only a handful of health potions outside of quick item slots by the end of Baldur's Gate 1, while I had an entire character's inventory full of potion stacks by the end of Baldur's Gate 2. In fact, by the time Throne of Bhaal was coming to the end I actually drank potions instead of resting just to use them up. If I was less conservative with my potion usage throughout Baldur's Gate 2 then I would have had an even easier time, which is the point I'm making.

You mean the beholder lair was full of :gasp: beholders? What were they thinking? If you actually look at the whole area instead (the underdark) it isn't full of the same creature type but nicely varied.
What's the point in doing that? You may as well go one step further and look at the game as a whole. Pointless.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
You don't even need to buy health potions to reach 200 or so in Baldur's Gate 2. You do not end up with that much in Baldur's Gate 1. I had only a handful of health potions outside of quick item slots by the end of Baldur's Gate 1, while I had an entire character's inventory full of potion stacks by the end of Baldur's Gate 2. In fact, by the time Throne of Bhaal was coming to the end I actually drank potions instead of resting just to use them up. If I was less conservative with my potion usage throughout Baldur's Gate 2 then I would have had an even easier time, which is the point I'm making.
What's the difference? Maybe you don't loot that many potions but you can buy them and there's plenty of gold. However, I don't remember a shortage of potions. There were just less (if any) of the stronger healing potions. Plus you could buy potions you'll hardly find in BG2 at all. Magic Shielding, Magic Resistance and Magic Immunity and the like. Seriously , potions to make you immune to all spells up to lvl5? Again, what does it matter that you end up with 200 spare potions in BG2 and only 20 in BG1? In both cases you had more than required so the result is the same.

What's the point in doing that? You may as well go one step further and look at the game as a whole. Pointless.
Yes it's pointless to complain that there were only beholders in the beholder lair. The actual local map is the underdark. The beholder lair is a subsection. Might as well complain that the thieves guild (subsection of Athkatla harbor map) contains thieves.
What did you expect anyway in the beholder lair? Human wizards? Priests of Helm? The Kuo Toa cave, by the way, had also drow, beholders and demon knights if memory serves.

MMXI

Arcane
What's the difference? Maybe you don't loot that many potions but you can buy them and there's plenty of gold. However, I don't remember a shortage of potions. There were just less (if any) of the stronger healing potions. Plus you could buy potions you'll hardly find in BG2 at all. Magic Shielding, Magic Resistance and Magic Immunity and the like. Seriously , potions to make you immune to all spells up to lvl5? Again, what does it matter that you end up with 200 spare potions in BG2 and only 20 in BG1? In both cases you had more than required so the result is the same.
It's not the same at all. If I complete the hardest game of all time it doesn't mean that anything I missed or glossed over that would have made it easier isn't worth taking into account when judging its difficulty. It's absurd to think otherwise. The point here is that if I used those 20 potions in Baldur's Gate 1 it would have made the game easier by a certain percentage. Using those 200 potions in Baldur's Gate 2 would have made the game easier by a much greater percentage. When judging the relative difficulty of the two games then this is something that should be taken into account.

Yes it's pointless to complain that there were only beholders in the beholder lair. The actual local map is the underdark. The beholder lair is a subsection. Might as well complain that the thieves guild (subsection of Athkatla harbor map) contains thieves.
What did you expect anyway in the beholder lair? Human wizards? Priests of Helm? The Kuo Toa cave, by the way, had also drow, beholders and demon knights if memory serves.
Ah, I get it. So you can excuse boring combat zones if it makes sense in terms of the lore. Thankfully I don't see things that way. It's the reason why I find the Nashkel mines incredibly boring in the first game, even though it makes sense to fight constant waves of kobold commandos due to the game's plot.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
It's not the same at all. If I complete the hardest game of all time it doesn't mean that anything I missed or glossed over that would have made it easier isn't worth taking into account when judging its difficulty. It's absurd to think otherwise. The point here is that if I used those 20 potions in Baldur's Gate 1 it would have made the game easier by a certain percentage. Using those 200 potions in Baldur's Gate 2 would have made the game easier by a much greater percentage. When judging the relative difficulty of the two games then this is something that should be taken into account.
I played both games too. And the number of healing potions available has little to do with the overall combat difficulty (the availability of the other potions and magic arrows I've mentioned has a massive impact though). You don't go and bash Demogorgon flat because you had 200 potions of fucking CURE MODERATE WOUNDS in your inventory. Potions are mainly for healing up inbetween encounters. Does it matter if you rest or use potions? How does either way influence the difficulty of the encounters? You don't want to make me belief that the number 1 strategy to defeat the challenging encounters is by repeatedly wasting your rounds healing a laughable amount of hitpoints with potions?
Overall BG1 is far easier than 2 with less challenging encounters , exactly how IWD1 is easier than IWD2. In both BG1 and IWD1 99,9% of the time enemies don't even get the chance to close in because they're already dead from ranged weapons. It takes a mod like SCS to change that somewhat for certain set pieces but this was about the vanilla experience.

Ah, I get it. So you can excuse boring combat zones if it makes sense in terms of the lore. Thankfully I don't see things that way.
I don't have to excuse anything. I just thought it was kinda predictable that the beholder lair has... beholders. Furthermore, the beholder lair is rather small, I mean it's a single cave with a bunch of beholders. And finally, I don't think this area is boring in the first place because 1) if you don't cheese it's a nice challenge and 2) there's some massive XP to be had which is always nice.

MMXI

Arcane
I played both games too. And the number of healing potions available has little to do with the overall combat difficulty (the availability of the other potions and magic arrows I've mentioned has a massive impact though). You don't go and bash Demogorgon flat because you had 200 potions of fucking CURE MODERATE WOUNDS in your inventory. Potions are mainly for healing up inbetween encounters. Does it matter if you rest or use potions? How does either way influence the difficulty of the encounters? You don't want to make me belief that the number 1 strategy to defeat the challenging encounters is by repeatedly wasting your rounds healing a laughable amount of hitpoints with potions?
Overall BG1 is far easier than 2 with less challenging encounters , exactly how IWD1 is easier than IWD2. In both BG1 and IWD1 99,9% of the time enemies don't even get the chance to close in because they're already dead from ranged weapons. It takes a mod like SCS to change that somewhat for certain set pieces but this was about the vanilla experience.
I don't see your reasoning. The point is that having around 250 potions in my inventory at the time the credits roll means that I've been playing inefficiently. If I had used up every single one of those potions during the course of the game then I'd have had an easier time, and this is the difficulty in which to judge the game by. Your point about healing potions only ever being useful between combat encounters is wrong in my experience. While I did end up using potions to heal up between fights instead of resting (purely because they were taking up too much space in my inventory), potions were useful for many encounters. Potions were very useful in dragon encounters, for example, though not for the main tank. They were also useful at the end of Sandai's enclave in Throne of Bhaal, as well as during the Yaga-Shura fight and the fight on level 5 of Watcher's keep. They admittedly weren't useful against enemies who primarily instant kill or incapacitate such as mindflayers and beholders, nor were they useful against powerful enemies who only do physical damage against single targets, but the game is full of encounters where your mages and thieves often take damage from rogue enemies or area of effect spells which potions are useful to counteract.

EDIT: Okay so I've just found my old Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 saves from my last play through and here are the number of potions my characters have on them in the final saves.

Baldur's Gate: Tales of the Sword Coast
61x Potion of Healing (9 HP)

Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn
156x Potion of Extra Healing (27 HP)

Baldur's Gate 2: Throne of Bhaal
275x Potion of Extra Healing (27 HP)
164x Potion of Superior Healing (40 HP)

What's interesting is that I had more health potions than I thought I had in Baldur's Gate 1. Also, the amount of potions you get in Throne of Bhaal is simply insane. That's 164 potions of superior healing and an additional 119 potions of extra healing. That equates to 9773 hit points of healing. In Shadows of Amn itself I had 4212 points of healing in potions, while in Baldur's Gate 1 I had 549, which come the end of the game is barely enough to fully heal all 6 characters in your party (though early on, especially at levels 1 to 3, those potions are great).

Interesting.

I don't have to excuse anything. I just thought it was kinda predictable that the beholder lair has... beholders. Furthermore, the beholder lair is rather small, I mean it's a single cave with a bunch of beholders. And finally, I don't think this area is boring in the first place because 1) if you don't cheese it's a nice challenge and 2) there's some massive XP to be had which is always nice.
I'm pretty sure there were in fact two beholder lairs in the game with exactly the same layout. One of them accessible form Underdark and the other from the sewers.

fucking CURE MODERATE WOUNDS
Why so angry? This is a good discussion, though probably in the wrong place.

Johannes

Arcane
Well, the lair in the sewers doesn't really hold many beholders, but it does have a mixed group of humans.

And constant use of healing potions, during combat, is totally sensible VoD, more than using them out of it. If you're not a spellcaster taking one doesn't even really rob you of doing another meaningful action in the potiondrinkings place, so why not? But, you'll probably still end up with surplus, you might as well sell some of those potions for something better (though money is easy to come by if you've got a rogue or bard, and are willing to reload).

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
I don't see your reasoning.
My reasoning is that it doesn't matter how many healing potions you have left over as long as you always had enough potions to heal when you needed healing. Does BG2 become even easier when you end up with 500 potions instead of 156? No. You didn't need the 156 and you don't need the 500. It would only matter if you'd come into a situation where you couldn't retreat/rest/heal up with spells or potions and you were all like *damn, I would sooooo need some potions right now to heal up, but I don't have any*. Like in KotC in the Orc fortress, for example. How often did this situation occur to you in BG1?

Take IWD1. There you really have few healing potions (until vendors in the expansion or TotL sell unlimited amounts). They are scarce. By your logic that would mean that IWD1 is super-difficult. In reality, it's not. Because the amount of [excess] healing potions doesn't have the influence on combat difficulty you suggest. However, being able to shoot acid arrows at powerful enemies (+2 arrows with 2d6 acid damage, no save) which would pose a serious threat potentially, with 3 attacks per round, killing them in a second, on the other hand has a rather significant influence on the difficulty of encounters. (arrows of dispelling or arrows of detonation are probably even worse)

Potions were very useful in dragon encounters, for example, though not for the main tank.
Healing potions? Or potions of fire resistance? If your character isn't protected by sufficient AC or other means you won't outheal the damage the dragon does with potions.

What's interesting is that I had more health potions than I thought I had in Baldur's Gate 1. Also, the amount of potions you get in Throne of Bhaal is simply insane.
Perhaps.
Scenario a) I have 156 potions I never felt compelled to use
Scenario b) I have 5000 potions I never felt compelled to use
Again, whats the difference?

I solo'ed BG1 and obviously did what Johannes suggested too when in need of healing inside combat. Running in circles with boots of speed, running for 6 seconds, quaffing a potion, running for 6 seconds, quaffing a potion etc.
You know something? I never lacked the potions to do that. Conclusion: BG1 has all the potions you'll ever need and then some more. The fact that you have only 50 left over at the end instead of 500 doesn't make it a hard game.

I'm pretty sure there were in fact two beholder lairs in the game with exactly the same layout. One of them accessible form Underdark and the other from the sewers.
Yeah, the cult of the unseeing eye or something. The cave looked similar but was somewhat smaller even. There weren't only beholders in there though, so I guess it doesn't qualify.

MMXI

Arcane
My reasoning is that it doesn't matter how many healing potions you have left over as long as you always had enough potions to heal when you needed healing. Does BG2 become even easier when you end up with 500 potions instead of 156? No. You didn't need the 156 and you don't need the 500. It would only matter if you'd come into a situation where you couldn't retreat/rest/heal up with spells or potions and you were all like *damn, I would sooooo need some potions right now to heal up, but I don't have any*. Like in KotC in the Orc fortress, for example. How often did this situation occur to you in BG1?
This is just wrong. You could ask "How many times would a potion have avoided a reload?" and if the answer is more than 0 then yes, those X amount of potions left at the end would have made a difference to the difficulty of the game. You can't just say that everything you never had to use at the end of the game has no effect on the game's difficulty because you could have struggled through the game to get to that point. Resting after every fight or two is the only way I can think of for any amount of potions in the game to be actually useless, as you'll be going into virtually every fight with full hit points and thus the buffer between life and death would be increased enough for potions to be useless (at least in the majority of fights).

By your logic that would mean that IWD1 is super-difficult.
...the fuck? Do they put something in the water in Germany? Can you tell me where I've ever said this?

In reality, it's not. Because the amount of [excess] healing potions doesn't have the influence on combat difficulty you suggest. However, being able to shoot acid arrows at powerful enemies (+2 arrows with 2d6 acid damage, no save) which would pose a serious threat potentially, with 3 attacks per round, killing them in a second, on the other hand has a rather significant influence on the difficulty of encounters. (arrows of dispelling or arrows of detonation are probably even worse)
I found that in Icewind Dale 1 I ended up with a shit load of healing scrolls that I often used to heal up. In fact, I tended to save them all up to use in order to delay resting. Still, in combat potions are still useful. Again you have to ask yourself how many times potion usage would have avoided a reload and in my case it's definitely more than 0. In fact, I'd often choose not to use potions and to reload instead because I wanted to optimize my strategy rather than use up resources. However, in my opinion it would be unfair to count this because in effect all I've done is make the game harder for myself (and more fun too).

Potions were very useful in dragon encounters, for example, though not for the main tank.
Healing potions? Or potions of fire resistance? If your character isn't protected by sufficient AC or other means you won't outheal the damage the dragon does with potions.
AC doesn't really come into it because I specifically said "not the main tank". What tends to happen is that random spells and abilities tend to hit other characters in some of the dragon fights and drinking potions for some of your lower HP characters can straight up counter the damage done by them. You can't out heal the damage a dragon is doing to its target using potions, but then again I never said you could.

Perhaps.
Scenario a) I have 156 potions I never felt compelled to use
Scenario b) I have 5000 potions I never felt compelled to use
Again, whats the difference?
Well the difference could be that you could drink a single potion in every few fights versus drink a potion for each character in every single fight. In fact, towards the end of Throne of Bhaal I realised I had so many healing potions that I started drinking them constantly. Am I going into a fight with 99/100 HP? Drink a 40HP healing potion. Did my mage get hit by a fireball? Drink a 40HP healing potion. Did my thief get injured a little from enemy archers? Drink a 40 HP healing potion. In fact, I hardly ever had less than maximum HP again at that point. I also steamrolled the rest of the game. The final encounter was just a joke for this reason. There were multiple waves of enemies and multiple fights with the boss with no resting in between, but with those 400 potions it didn't make a single bit of difference. Did a character lose 3 hit points from some random spell effect? Use a potion!

Of course, because of this I found both the first half of Throne of Bhaal (in which I did Watcher's Keep) and pretty much all of Shadows of Amn harder than the final parts of Throne of Bhaal. Would it have been easier if I used potions far more liberally? Hell yes. Would it have been more fun? Hell no, because unlike some people I prefer improving my tactics to win fights without the need to use up potions. The only time I can see guzzling potions being more "fun" is if people want to get to the "story bits" of the game faster. Why those people are bothering with games like Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 I have no idea.

I solo'ed BG1 and obviously did what Johannes suggested too when in need of healing inside combat. Running in circles with boots of speed, running for 6 seconds, quaffing a potion, running for 6 seconds, quaffing a potion etc.
You know something? I never lacked the potions to do that. Conclusion: BG1 has all the potions you'll ever need and then some more. The fact that you have only 50 left over at the end instead of 500 doesn't make it a hard game.
I've also solo'ed Baldur's Gate 1, and 2 and Throne of Bhaal. The thing about D&D and especially with the items you collect in Tales of the Sword Coast, Baldur's Gate 2 and especially Throne of Bhaal is that it's often easier to win fights with less characters. I'm sure you know this of course. Walking around with a single character with 100% resistance to enemy attacks is often better than walking around with 6 characters with 16 or 17% resistance. In fact, often times when playing with a party I load up one of my front line fighters with all the best equipment to "tank" a fight, even though I usually play with equipment spread out (to balance the armour class and resistances/saving throw bonuses of my front line fighters). So if I usually play with, say, Keldorn and Minsc with AC -8 and -7 respectively, and with 40% magic resistance each I may, for some fights, especially against individual bad boys, overload the best equipment on, say, Keldorn so that he reaches something like -11 AC and 80% magic resistance.

Of course, that doesn't mean that solo Baldur's Gate is easier than a party of 6, although believe it or not I found it of comparative difficulty (though my solo play through came last and so I was better and more familiar with the games). However, what I'm getting at is that your potion usage with a single character is bound to be more favourable. Not only does this single character get access to 6 characters worth of health potions, they often take less (collective) damage in the toughest encounters because you can assume that in a fight you won't lose more than a percentage of a single character's maximum hit points, where as in a fight with a party of 6 you can afford to lose far, far more, especially when area of effect attacks are being targeted at you. And then you can't overlook the fact that it's often not feasible to drink potions when your character's activity is paramount, which is often the case when soloing. In other words, it's much more feasible for a random cleric sitting at the back of a 6 character party to drink a potion mid battle if needed than a solo fighter/mage/thief (or ranger/cleric, or kensai/mage) in the midst of combat (as it wastes an entire round, and an entire round when soloing is worth so much more than an entire round for 1 in 6 characters).

Yeah, the cult of the unseeing eye or something. The cave looked similar but was somewhat smaller even. There weren't only beholders in there though, so I guess it doesn't qualify.
Actually, you're only half right. It's a level scaled area. I've just loaded up my closest save to that area (in fact it was right at the start of that area) and it was filled with beholders and nothing else. My protagonist at the time was level 13 with 1.25 million experience if that helps.

joeydohn

Savant
Perhaps you two should consider sharing a room at the inn?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom