Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware LOL ELECTRONIC ARTS: The EA Thread

Tagaziel

Scholar
Hey guys, can I be a cool kid and forget about Activision and Bobby Kotick to hammer on EA?

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Hey guys, can I be a cool kid and forget about Activision and Bobby Kotick to hammer on EA?

Doesn't Activision produce pre-raped IP? Instead of EA buying other people's IP and raping it to death in front of people?

I'd say Activision is the good guy in that case.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Should everyone do as I do, online requirements for single player games would vanish in a day.

I was thinking about this the other day, and decided that from now on, whenever one of those "Which superpower would you choose?" conversations crops up, my answer will be "consumer solidarity-oriented thought control".

Pissed off at Hollywood's litany of creatively bankrupt reboots? Compel hundreds of millions of people to stop buying tickets and concessions for a month, then construct a record-breaking pyramid out of the bricks that are shat all across SoCal. Want IGN and Kotaku to go out of business? Compel even the dude-iest of dudebros to stop visiting the websites and/or cancel their magazine subscriptions for a few months.

Complete and total consumer boycott... a nice perk of this power would be that you'd become filthy rich in short order, buying up stocks during a crash and then selling when you allow the unwashed masses to turn the fatcats' money hose back on again.

First, though, I'd get rid of EA. No one in the whole world would ever purchase a single copy of any product developed by EA again.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
The amount of side-stepping he does is sickening. You know if he told the truth he'd probably be sued.

I don't know why, though. Didn't he pretty much leave the industry altogether? What possible sway could EA have on him a this point unless he signed some crazy NDA paper before leaving Bioware? If there's anyone in a perfect position to say how things really are it's him. Also yeah, it's totally a coincidence that every developer ever bought out by EA™ went to shit. Total coincidence and EA™ most surely had nothing to do with it.

Companys will sometimes give you a sign-off bonus if you agree to a "no disclosure" agreement. You get paid to stay quiet about their bad stuff. Things that aren't illegal but are morally/ethically bad. Things that could affect their bottom line.

If he did in fact sign such an agreement and he then talked, EA could sue him.

Dexter

Arcane
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-04-10-ea-gaming-isnt-mass-market-yet

463556.png

The games industry may have taken great strides towards mainstream acceptance, but EA's Richard Hilleman doesn't believe that gaming is a mass market. At least, not yet.

[...]

"We have to make sure that game companies know what a mass market really is. We're not one yet," Hilleman says when we meet after his talk. "The closest thing we've had to a mass market, frankly, has been the social and mobile spaces. From my perspective, television is the mass market and we're the fringe. The challenge in front of us is, does the customer think about it that way? Do they see us as so distinct we can't merge those two experiences?"

Hilleman believes that the games industry has a few things to learn about how to talk to huge audiences, even those for the most popular Facebook and mobile games. It has the tendency to, "segment them into groups that are too small to be relevant," and, in doing so, runs the risk of losing their attention for good. That, he says, is crucial to the appeal of connected TV for EA: television is where those people go when they put down their phones and tablets, the gateway to vast swathes of potential new customers.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Hello? Reality check much, they really are bat-shit insane at EA.

Kz3r0

Arcane
So, the fabled Indian graduates managed to kill EA?
Let's hope they work their magic in the banking industry too.:thumbsup:

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I wasn't referring to you, just making a general reference to the arguments being thrown around. Though (unsurprisingly) you chimed in with the stupidity with your post

My argument is that repeatedly handing out an award to the same company will devalue the award and that this is a very specific problem with this award: because it is conducted on the internet, both the voting base will be biased towards internet users as well as the companies being voted for will have their business and a strong presentation on the internet. there may well be even worse companies in the US than EA, but these stay in the shadows behind the masses of rabid bioware fanbois that are disappointed with the mass effect ending. it's rigged.

Plus, the internet is breeding ground for shit opinions.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
My argument is that repeatedly handing out an award to the same company will devalue the award and that this is a very specific problem with this award: because it is conducted on the internet, both the voting base will be biased towards internet users as well as the companies being voted for will have their business and a strong presentation on the internet. there may well be even worse companies in the US than EA, but these stay in the shadows behind the masses of rabid bioware fanbois that are disappointed with the mass effect ending. it's rigged.

Plus, the internet is breeding ground for shit opinions.
You can't devalue something that's not worth anything in the first place.

If anything voting for EA has actually given this award value because of the hilariously butt hurt responses from EA it generates.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014

If a poll is conducted here on the codex, even if its participants can be summarised as inadequate, angry, virgin neckbeards, it's still relevant.

Isn't it?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom