Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lords of the Fallen - Dark Souls clone from City Interactive

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Hour of potato souls

As i thought. DaS copy just with shittier art style and floaty combat. Fuckers even copied bloodstains mechanic :lol:

Will buy it for 15 bucks :M

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
It seems like this games does difficulty the worst way possible. Everything can kill you in 2-3 hits, but it's all easy to avoid... so casuals will get frustrated and veterans will faceroll everything. Bravo.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
It seems like this games does difficulty the worst way possible. Everything can kill you in 2-3 hits, but it's all easy to avoid... so casuals will get frustrated and veterans will faceroll everything. Bravo.

So... exactly like the Souls series? :troll:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

Bloated health points seems to be a bigger offender.

Machocruz

Arcane
The video game industry must have an algorithm that produces jaggy sado armor at the touch of a button. Or there is only one concept artist available for fantasy games.

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
The video game industry must have an algorithm that produces jaggy sado armor at the touch of a button. Or there is only one concept artist available for fantasy games.
Nah it's the general approach caused by resource limits for certain things vanishing in the last few years.
mICkx4P.jpg
Back then stuff looked relatively simply, because geometry was limited(as PC's back then weren't as strong as they're now), however there was certain philosophy in these armour design. The better they were, the more detailed they've became(still limited, but more detailed armours usually hit upper limit of polygon count you could give for single character to run the game somehow in minimum spec range).
It was kind of reward for playing the game.
Today, you can have relatively unlimited geometry, or at least you have GPU's with more than 8MB VRAM so "detailed" textures are a piece of cake to make.
Hence heavily ornamented armour you can see in WoW for example:
t12-shaman.jpg
Obviously, with increasing computing power, number of details you can put on certain armour grows, and the level of retardness grows with the amount of details.

The point is - "gamers" became conditioned to see more detailed/elaborate designs as better and that's what all those funny designers are trying to achieve with their retardo designs(WoW is a special case of it - shoulders were usually part of armour that was the hardest to get in game, and you can clearly see that that's the part Blizzard design team focused on, at this point players want cooler shoulders and it's their reward for playing the game).

At some point someone started to think - what if EVERY single piece of gear would look "awesome"? Doesn't it mean that "gamer" would be happy after finding ANY item?

And that's the kind of special person that designed armours in LotF.

"Simple" armour was there in the first place because that's what you could see on fantasy book covers etc.(clichés included). Few studios started coming back to that philosophy(simple but sensibly-designed stuff, not overdesigned shit) yet they're more focused on realism rather than on being 80's echo-chamber, I guess it's for the better.

Murk

Arcane
It really is soulsy. I skipped to random bits and only saw 2 points of combat -- first a backstab, second a parry+riposte. I donno if it's cuz he's a souls guy or if that's just how the game works as well, but eh.

I'll probably go for 50% price unless we get some first-hand reviews praising it for something interesting/good.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Bros, bros! Tomasz Gop has disclaimed this game as being a Dark Souls clone on Gamespot. We were wrong all along! The similarities are obviously superficial!

This reminds me of how me and my friends made our own RPG systems as teenagers. 'My setting is not a Tolkien ripoff because dwarves do not dislike elves and vice versa, duh!'

praetor

Arcane

i don't think they could be more obvious that this is a Souls clone (but without multi and a grimdark amalur artstyle and crappy story). will get at 5-10$

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Will play once if featuring decent control scheme for PC. Not paying for this kind of shit. Will borrow from friends.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
is anyone else getting spammed with a shitty youtube ad for this with a hilarious growly metal cover of Bad Moon Rising because I can already tell it's the most entertainment im gonna get out of this game

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Will play once if featuring decent control scheme for PC. Not paying for this kind of shit. Will borrow from friends.
Are your friends pirates per chance :troll:

Nah, not gonna infringe policies like that. I got this group of friends going where we have a shared steam account, sometimes we buy shit together, sometimes some of us buys a game individually, and in any case anyone can play it in offline mode from that account.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Well color me surprised to hear a developer actually address some questions and worries like this. Very nice.

I'm also glad to see there was no visual downgrade BS with Lords of the Fallen.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
The game looks pretty, but the horrible UI.....

Why with todays resolutions they can't make a proper UI?

bg2soa2.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom