Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Lords of the Fallen - Dark Souls clone from City Interactive

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by MicoSelva, May 17, 2013.

1. StaticSpine Arcane Patron

StaticSpine
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    :notsureifserious:

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  2. WhiteGuts Arcane

WhiteGuts
    I've seen the protag talk to another character, with a couple of possible lines/things to say. So I dunno.

"Gambling" with your experience for better loot is an interesting concept.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Stonewolf Savant

Stonewolf
    Why is this marked as decline?

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  4. Ebonsword Arcane

Ebonsword
    Because it's not turn-based.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Paul_cz Arcane

Paul_cz
    Looking forward to it. I hoped that Tom Gop splitting from CDP would lead to another good game, and this looks pretty good.

^ Top  
  6. Great Deceiver Arcane

Great Deceiver
    Mainstream gaming site reviews are pegging this as too easy, which probably means it's laughably easy.

They also mention that it feels good to push the awesome button.

^ Top  
  7. MicoSelva Prestigious Gentleman No Gods No Kings Patron

MicoSelva
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    The origin of the thread title ('TOTALLY NOT A Dark Souls clone') is explained in the first post, if you care to read it.

But yeah, the game is released, so the title needs changing anyway.

First batch of reviews is in. Loks like a 7/10 kind of game.

^ Top  
  8. polo Erudite

polo
    Was expecting something along the "8/10" line. Will try it, and by try i mean pirate it.

^ Top  
  9. polo Erudite

polo

Was expecting something like that about getting easily overpowered.

^ Top  
  10. DreadMessiah Liturgist

DreadMessiah
    meh same mag gave oblivion a 94 or such. if it doesn't have the bullshit that shadows of mordor has in it I would give it a once through when it is in the bargain bin.

^ Top  
  11. Renevent Cipher

Renevent
    Got it this morning, will try out it later after work. Reviews basically confirmed what I was expecting...which is a fun Dark Souls lite kind of game, which I am down for. And by got it I mean I paid for it because I am a big boy with my own money and can make responsible purchasing decisions.

On a side note I purchased it from work through the Steam website and found out you can have Steam remote install the game to my computer running Steam at home. Cool :D

Not sure how long Steam had that feature but my wife will certainly be grateful...no more calls to home walking an annoyed woman through installing games for me so it's ready by the time I get home lol.

^ Top  
  12. polo Erudite

polo
    Didn't know about that remote install feature, that's pretty sweet.

^ Top  
  13. MicoSelva Prestigious Gentleman No Gods No Kings Patron

MicoSelva
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Yeah, that Steam feature has been there for a while.

It is probably worth noting that the game is around 10 hours long. One reviewer reports that first playthrough took him twelve hours, while the second one only seven.

I have not played all the way through Dark Souls, but I think it was much longer. (?)

EDIT: The reviewer never finished Dark Souls, because it did not click with him, but Lords of The Fallen was a love at first sight (he played the second time not for review purposes but for his own entertainment).

Here is the link to the review (in Polish).

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
    ^ Top  
  14. Renevent Cipher

Renevent
    I think Dark Souls took me around 25-30 hours to complete if I remember correctly. Either way the game appears to be considerably shorter. Worth noting is both games do have new game+ modes or whatever, so that will extend gameplay a bit if you like that sort of thing.

^ Top  
  15. polo Erudite

polo
    I think dark souls took me a little while to get used to it. Now everyone is used to that type of combat, plus this game being easier will surely appear to be shorter than it should be.

^ Top  
  16. Stonewolf Savant

Stonewolf
    HLTB says Dark Souls is about 50 hours, which is probably quite distorted by the casuls bad at everything. I'd say DS1 is more like 30 for a not retarded first playthrough.

^ Top  
  17. Perkel Arcane

Perkel
    10 hours ? lol

^ Top  
  18. Renevent Cipher

Renevent
    According to Steam I have 62 hours in Dark Souls and 52 hours in Dark Souls 2. Both of which I beat several times, though, and of course featured me running through the same areas after countless deaths. I think my initial estimate of around 30 hours for one play-through was fairly accurate.

^ Top  
  19. Humppaleka Cipher

Humppaleka
    Don't know, depending on the game 10 hours is reasonable. Just beat Arkham Asylum today, played around 10 hours and some of that was riddle-solving and trophy hunting, but it felt like just the correct length for it.

E: naturally I also paid maybe two bucks for it :P

^ Top  
  20. Renevent Cipher

Renevent
    According to the devs it's 10-15 for one playthrough, and around 50 for additional difficulties and to collect/explore all the secrets and option stuff.

^ Top  
  21. Perkel Arcane

Perkel
    Same thing is in DS and it isn't 10-15h game especially for first timer.

^ Top  
  22. Renevent Cipher

Renevent
    I know, said as much in my previous post.

^ Top  
  23. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    That 50 hour thing sounds like total bullshit... AFAIK, to beat 100% the game you need to beat it three times with the same character. So New Game ++. But if anything, following playthroughts are usually shorter. So if the guy took 10 hours to beat the game the first time, he'll likely beat it in 8 on New Game+...

^ Top  
  24. Athelas Arcane

Athelas
    Polish, you say? I'm sure this reviewer isn't biased at all.

^ Top  
  25. MicoSelva Prestigious Gentleman No Gods No Kings Patron

MicoSelva
    :roll: @ expecting unbiased reviews

A much better question could be, why is this thread in GRPG?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.