Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lords of the Fallen - Dark Souls clone from City Interactive

WhiteGuts

Arcane
I've seen the protag talk to another character, with a couple of possible lines/things to say. So I dunno.

"Gambling" with your experience for better loot is an interesting concept.

Last edited:

Paul_cz

Arcane
Looking forward to it. I hoped that Tom Gop splitting from CDP would lead to another good game, and this looks pretty good.

Mainstream gaming site reviews are pegging this as too easy, which probably means it's laughably easy.

They also mention that it feels good to push the awesome button.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Please change the name of the thread: There was no moment in time when the developers said the opposite. In fact they stated from the beginning that they want to copy Dark Souls success.

The title is retarded.
The origin of the thread title ('TOTALLY NOT A Dark Souls clone') is explained in the first post, if you care to read it.

But yeah, the game is released, so the title needs changing anyway.

First batch of reviews is in. Loks like a 7/10 kind of game.

GameBanshee said:
IGN, 7.4/10.

Lords of the Fallen delivers entertaining hack-and-slash combat centered on combos and spells, but its risk-based reward system seems slightly out of place in a world where its hero so easily achieves great power and defense and makes risk obsolete. It achieves its goal of creating a more accessible Dark Souls-style experience, but unfortunately it goes a step or two too far.

Polygon, 7.5/10.

It largely succeeds in both imitation and with its strong variations on the formula. Lords of the Fallen is derivative; there’s no doubt about that. But it’s also a surprising show of skill and hopefully a sign of much brighter things to come.

IncGamers, 7/10.

With so many familiar mechanics, Lords of the Fallen’s comparisons with Dark Souls are inevitable. It comes across as a courageous, non-cynical effort to transplant that combat system and some of the level structure into a game that’s a bit less challenging and much more straightforward in its narrative presentation. In doing so, Lords loses some of the mystique that gives the Souls games such lasting appeal, but can instead claim to be more accessible. The title embraces its influences too closely to ever escape claims of being derivative, but with such a heartfelt homage it’s difficult to hold that too strongly against it.

MoviePilot, 7.8/10.

For a player who adores everything that Dark Souls has on offer, this game feels wrong in many respects. Though I admire the studios' forward referencing of their inspirations for the game. It was only a matter of time before someone adopted the Dark Souls formula into an easier and more widely appealing game. For me though, some aspects seemed a little too close or a little too far.

That being said, I had a lot of fun in Lords of the Fallen, there was a good challenge to be had and the combat was intensely satisfying at many moments. Additionally, the game looks wonderful on NextGen. Many locations simply shone on the PS4 and I can't emphasise that enough.

GameTrailers, 7.3/10.

In the end, the more straightforward design of Lords of the Fallen puts more focus on combat than building an interesting world. Players may be less likely to get lost, but the game lacks a sense of wonder and isn’t helped by its dull narrative and recycled enemies. Still, the solid mechanics are a step in the right direction. Anyone looking for a diversion until Bloodborne may want to give it a try.

GameSpot, 8/10.

Superficially, you could call Lords of the Fallen a Souls game for the meek and the uninitiated. But it earns more respect than such a flippant description. Lords of the Fallen isn't about the game that it isn't, but the game that it is. It's about the ghoulish blacksmith, his glowing eyes, and the long tufts of stiff hair that rise from his scalp. It's about the crunches of iron against bone when your hammer finds its mark. It's about taking in new sights and sounds, and about finding new ways to travel to old ones. It's about that suspended bridge, the monuments that guard it, and the creatures waiting within. Harkyn may have no use for these places, but there are riches inside nonetheless.

ReadersGambit, 7/10.

Overall Lords of the Fallen was great fun and challenging enough to keep you entertained. There is a great deal of potential nestled between the frozen screens and the fidgety camera. With a few changes and bug fixes it could have easily been one of the stars of this year. In fact even with it’s issues I really do hope to see more from the studios. There is so much they have tried to do different and more importantly done well. I love their take on the reward system and how different the classes can feel and the pace is fantastic. I always found the souls series unforgiving to a point of frustration and at times slow, Lords of the Fallen rectifies this spectacularly. It was just a shame I had to wait until New Game + to fully appreciate the game.

MMGN, 7.0/10.

If you’re thinking about giving Lords of the Fallen a try, there’s two things you have to ask yourself: do I want to play a Dark Souls inspired game on my current-gen console, and do I want to play a game that’s like Dark Souls, but easier? If you answered yes to either, or both, then you’ll enjoy what’s on offer here. Despite cheap deaths and a lack of technical polish for a PS4 and Xbox One game, Lords of the Fallen is an enjoyable romp, and a decent offering by a relatively unknown studio.

Twinfinite, 3/5.

Lords of the Fallen is a strange beast of a game. There are moments of unequaled bliss and joy throughout the game. It’s a shame that these moments are so readily hidden behind towering walls of monotony and infuriating area design. In all of my time with the game I felt there was something missing which Lords of the Fallen was just waiting to give and make the whole experience worth it. Having finished my first play through and being a fair way through my second, I’m still waiting.

I worry that I’ll be waiting forever.

GameInformer, 8.5/10.

Lords of the Fallen is a surprisingly solid title that wasn’t even on my radar. While it borrows heavily from the Souls franchise, it’s done well and with its own signature flair. I highly recommend this game to anyone that enjoys that series, and if you haven’t gone down that road before, it might be a more forgiving entry point into the action RPG.

Eurogamer, 7/10.

I just wish it wasn't so happy to sit in another game's shadow, and made more of the few fresh mechanisms that might distinguish it and move the genre forwards. Instead, it hews so closely to a proven template that it's basically a pretty good action-adventure by default. Yet as the game clock ticked towards 20 hours and beyond, I could never quite shake the feeling that I'd still rather be failing in Dark Souls than succeeding in Lords of the Fallen.

polo

Magister
Was expecting something along the "8/10" line. Will try it, and by try i mean pirate it.

polo

Magister
PC Gamer, 58/100
If you have a capable rig—and don’t experience the crashes I did—I think it’s a worthwhile experience. Still, it’s less interesting than Dark Souls in terms of plot and setting, and full of wandering and grinding that first tested my patience, and finally made me as powerful as some of the bosses. If I could take its combat system, weapons, and enemies and put it in another more interesting game, I would.

Was expecting something like that about getting easily overpowered.

DreadMessiah

Liturgist
meh same mag gave oblivion a 94 or such. if it doesn't have the bullshit that shadows of mordor has in it I would give it a once through when it is in the bargain bin.

Renevent

Cipher
Got it this morning, will try out it later after work. Reviews basically confirmed what I was expecting...which is a fun Dark Souls lite kind of game, which I am down for. And by got it I mean I paid for it because I am a big boy with my own money and can make responsible purchasing decisions.

On a side note I purchased it from work through the Steam website and found out you can have Steam remote install the game to my computer running Steam at home. Cool :D

Not sure how long Steam had that feature but my wife will certainly be grateful...no more calls to home walking an annoyed woman through installing games for me so it's ready by the time I get home lol.

polo

Magister
Didn't know about that remote install feature, that's pretty sweet.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, that Steam feature has been there for a while.

It is probably worth noting that the game is around 10 hours long. One reviewer reports that first playthrough took him twelve hours, while the second one only seven.

I have not played all the way through Dark Souls, but I think it was much longer. (?)

EDIT: The reviewer never finished Dark Souls, because it did not click with him, but Lords of The Fallen was a love at first sight (he played the second time not for review purposes but for his own entertainment).

Here is the link to the review (in Polish).

Last edited:

Renevent

Cipher
Yeah, that Steam feature has been there for a while.

It is probably worth noting that the game is around 10 hours long. One reviewer reports that first playthrough took him twelve hours, while the second one only seven.

I have not played all the way through Dark Souls, but I think it was much longer. (?)

I think Dark Souls took me around 25-30 hours to complete if I remember correctly. Either way the game appears to be considerably shorter. Worth noting is both games do have new game+ modes or whatever, so that will extend gameplay a bit if you like that sort of thing.

polo

Magister
I think dark souls took me a little while to get used to it. Now everyone is used to that type of combat, plus this game being easier will surely appear to be shorter than it should be.

Stonewolf

Augur
HLTB says Dark Souls is about 50 hours, which is probably quite distorted by the casuls bad at everything. I'd say DS1 is more like 30 for a not retarded first playthrough.

Renevent

Cipher
According to Steam I have 62 hours in Dark Souls and 52 hours in Dark Souls 2. Both of which I beat several times, though, and of course featured me running through the same areas after countless deaths. I think my initial estimate of around 30 hours for one play-through was fairly accurate.

Humppaleka

Cipher
Don't know, depending on the game 10 hours is reasonable. Just beat Arkham Asylum today, played around 10 hours and some of that was riddle-solving and trophy hunting, but it felt like just the correct length for it.

E: naturally I also paid maybe two bucks for it :P

Renevent

Cipher
According to the devs it's 10-15 for one playthrough, and around 50 for additional difficulties and to collect/explore all the secrets and option stuff.

Perkel

Arcane
According to the devs it's 10-15 for one playthrough, and around 50 for additional difficulties and to collect/explore all the secrets and option stuff.

Same thing is in DS and it isn't 10-15h game especially for first timer.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
That 50 hour thing sounds like total bullshit... AFAIK, to beat 100% the game you need to beat it three times with the same character. So New Game ++. But if anything, following playthroughts are usually shorter. So if the guy took 10 hours to beat the game the first time, he'll likely beat it in 8 on New Game+...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom