Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Lords of Xulima

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I was level 3 and with a few potions was able to at least kill the group at the South entrance. It was a tad difficult, but I pulled it off.

cw8

Cipher
i tried, party got beaten badly after i barely got one guard down to maybe half HP....

Buy some buffs from the priestess. Speed, Defense. The 100g 40 unit cereal farm can cover early buff expenses.

Rpgsaurus Rex

This is actually a good and rare example of a story being so bad it becomes good. Not the sort of fourth-wall-breaking humour that D:OS tried to pull off but rather deadpan cheesy fantasy wonderland of the stuff your adult mind can no longer process and has to break down by making you laugh like a moron.

Conversations like:
My Hero: you're bad!
Prince Gone Bad: no, you're bad because you just killed a horde of guards to get here! you're the bad guy!
My Hero (slightly confused): I only killed them to save even more people!
Prince Gone Bad: I sentence you... to death... you MURDERER!! (sic)
Me: :dying under the table:

or

Bad Prince: hey, how you're doin? (sipping wine)
My Ranger: hey, how you're doin'?
Bad Prince: how about we get a little closer, hun?
My Ranger (can't control himself): uh, I'm a little shy... please.. be gentle... ahh
GOLOT: hey, party's over.
My Ranger: AH! you evil man!... doing funny things!
Bad Prince: whatever

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
need some spoilerish help

Where is Yoel the explorer? ... cleared Kagara...but still can't seem to find him :(

F2D52314A4D7477DDF7346893A205C267E92C3F4

Monkeyfinger

Cipher
Where exactly is Pope Amole II 's guide? I came to this strategy after restarting 2 times around level 15ish .

I always post my guides in the Steam Guide sections.

And yeah, Bard is one of the best (if not the best) tanking classes in the game, actually. He has a caster's buildup (meaning he can allow to go CON & SPD only), he has hybrid HP gain (so he also has 3 natural hp per level), he's very skill-rich (if you don't buy redundant songs - instead you can invest that into armor and/or Fast Reflexes) and he can go sword & board without hurting himself (because his melee is crap anyways and he shouldn't even bother spending points there).

Sounds a lot like what I did with my thief.

Shurikens + locks + traps, leftovers and trainer points into defensive skills and quick strike. Rely on setup from stuns and freezes to land shurikens, so no need to pump agi.

In a hard fight bard wants to lay a buff or control asap, but thief can take his sweet time waiting for a shuriken opportunity, which means you can overencumber a thief with as much armor as you want and it doesn't matter.

Rpgsaurus Rex

Guys. I need help! That hammer from the arena, where do I bring it? I figure it's supposed to be Golot's shrine but I can't find one in Nagira. The shrines are always on the same map as the temples, right?

Also fuck me for pussying out on not going full Hardcore. Being OCD and cleaning up the respawns I think I've overleveled a bit too much and now the game's too easy. Cast mass regen and/or shield, put something heavy on the spacebar button and go make myself some tea.

Also Barbarian is so dull. Don't go Barbarian, guys.

Bros,

lv28-29 here, dealt with two princes and two temples (febret, alnaet)
got 3 artifacts (golot's hand, nalaet's tears, kersket's hammer)

one of the princes zaps me dead when I approach him, and the route to the other is blocked by a Yul statue which makes me return...

Where should i go next?

Might be all the popamole's damaged my brain, but a general hint would be nice.

Suicidal

Arcane
Bros,

lv28-29 here, dealt with two princes and two temples (febret, alnaet)
got 3 artifacts (golot's hand, nalaet's tears, kersket's hammer)

one of the princes zaps me dead when I approach him, and the route to the other is blocked by a Yul statue which makes me return...

Where should i go next?

Might be all the popamole's damaged my brain, but a general hint would be nice.

The desert zone. You should be able to kill the golem guarding the pass now that you have the hammer.

cw8

Cipher
Level 41, didn't pump Learning much, had 3-4 points at the start and went on all the way till now. Will I be screwed endgame without many points in Learning?

update:

FUCK that shitty tower of time. A WHOLE HOUR of teleportation till i figured it out.

Other artifacts where kinda obvious...
Golot hand is key to towers
Nalaet tears is to purify well of souls
kersket hammer is to smash the gaurdian and ice blocks

now this artifact, light of alnaet...what good is ti exactly... not been anywhere dark my supply of torches can't handle eh.

hint please.

V_K

Arcane
update:

FUCK that shitty tower of time. A WHOLE HOUR of teleportation till i figured it out.

Other artifacts where kinda obvious...
Golot hand is key to towers
Nalaet tears is to purify well of souls
kersket hammer is to smash the gaurdian and ice blocks

now this artifact, light of alnaet...what good is ti exactly... not been anywhere dark my supply of torches can't handle eh.

hint please.
There a statue of Yul a little way into Rasmura, you can't pass it without the light.
I wonder how you managed to get stuck here, though. By this time there should be only two or three immediately accessible lands left to explore.

the desert east of the desert village and the frozen wasteland north of the frozen village....both drain food too fast to explore. Encountered that yul statue, but never occurred that the lamp allows me to pass it heh.

Rpgsaurus Rex

the desert east of the desert village and the frozen wasteland north of the frozen village....both drain food too fast to explore. Encountered that yul statue, but never occurred that the lamp allows me to pass it heh.

There's a treasure cache of about 40k or so in the middle of that desert, p. good if you're short on money.

Level 41, didn't pump Learning much, had 3-4 points at the start and went on all the way till now. Will I be screwed endgame without many points in Learning?
Nah, learning makes the game a lot easier (esp. if you spend your time to clear areas) but it's far from mandatory. I just felt like I needed that extra boost because I was scared my party was shit (like, not a single mace user), going into the game blind and spending skill points on the spur of the moment. I'm now running out of things to spend skill points on esp. on the rogue and barb.

This game's really well balanced in terms of letting you pick a lot of different things and experiment and still having things work out in the end. So much unlike, say, MMX with its non-obvious 'trap' options that could lock you into a setup where your party would be effectively too weak to progress in the game (on hard).

Last edited by a moderator:

Rpgsaurus Rex

OK, game is over and it's time to post some final impressions. Had to stop 'clearing' areas once I reached Devonia (seemed way too dull and unnecessary), got to level ~60 though could probably have reached for ~70 or so if I bothered to clean up the rest. Did pop all overland mobs, though, including that one demon lord. There are no new skills past level 50 and you'll max out all the necessary stuff by then anyway (e.g. the mage lvl 50 spell is trash). Didn't do any of the 'tryhard' stuff like leaving the palace guards for later or waiting for maxed out herbalism before picking things up. It might or not be needed on Hardcore/Ironman, I dunno. (Ironman doesn't seem so bad because there are no difficulty spikes here).

Game was good. Probably the first good open-world blobber since Wiz8. The only parts that felt too long were the last four temples.

The things I liked the least:
1) all-random loot (I would have really appreciated at least ONE unique item)
2) a lack of encounter variety towards the end of the game; you could grab a book or a pad or something (which is what I did), read it with one hand while holding spacebar with another while your buffed party slowly brought down a bunch of meaty mobs.

Non-spoilery comments on my party:

Cleric - the most useful, by far; incredible buffs/healing + the best lategame nuke to one-shot those pesky summoners. Non-combat, pure spellcasting.
Soldier - very stat-point hungry, needs energy on top of the usual str/agi/spd fare to be useful; buffed up, however, she was the only one of the bunch who could handle the arena. Ended up maxing out all combat skills - bleeding, wounding, stunning and +dmg were all situationally useful, props to the devs for balancing. Used 2h swords.
Barbarian - very boring, not a single active skill. Being tanky is pointless since there's no skill to aggro mobs, anyway. The soldier was far, far better. Used 2h axes.
Thief - pretty good, spammed ninja stars every boss fight and still ended up with a surpus (make sure to wander the thief-invested areas if you ever run out). Used crossbows. Quick shot was OK though her damage output (barring ninja stars) could never approach even the front-line Explorer. Understandable, given her utility role (perception, lockpicking, traps).
Mage - the most underwhelming class along with the Barbarian. Almost all spells that I maxed out ended up unused towards the later half, past level 50 I was just putting points into passives. The only 2 spells I used with any consistency in the later half were Brittle Armor (for bosses) and Icy Touch (that low level freeze spell). Inferno and Lords of Thunder were useful for mopping large crowds to not waste time but completely unnecessary since you could just sit back and let your buffed warriors do the same thing but slower. That AoE Frost was used a few times as well when fighting those cthulhu-faced demon frontliners.
Explorer - not bad, actually. Used 2h axes. Poison attack is even better than bleeding because of high bleed resists on later mobs.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Xulima doesn't do anything new or original, but it does the stuff I loved growing up with CRPGs so well I can overlook some of its weaknesses easily. I do wonder why the writing doesn't bother me more, while I find the cheesy writing in Larian games aggravating here I find it simply charming. Very odd

cw8

Cipher
OK, game is over and it's time to post some final impressions. Had to stop 'clearing' areas once I reached Devonia (seemed way too dull and unnecessary), got to level ~60 though could probably have reached for ~70 or so if I bothered to clean up the rest. Did pop all overland mobs, though, including that one demon lord. There are no new skills past level 50 and you'll max out all the necessary stuff by then anyway (e.g. the mage lvl 50 spell is trash). Didn't do any of the 'tryhard' stuff like leaving the palace guards for later or waiting for maxed out herbalism before picking things up. It might or not be needed on Hardcore/Ironman, I dunno. (Ironman doesn't seem so bad because there are no difficulty spikes here).

So I assume you maxed out Learning? I'm Level 42 and killed
the first Titan
. Nowhere close to level 60 and I'm mostly clear of Devonia mobs. I've cleared all areas of random encounters as well. Am I under leveled?

Rpgsaurus Rex

So I assume you maxed out Learning? I'm Level 42 and killed
the first Titan
. Nowhere close to level 60 and I'm mostly clear of Devonia mobs. I've cleared all areas of random encounters as well. Am I under leveled?

I don't know, as long as you could kill the titan without too much trouble I don't think you're underleveled at all. Did you get all the perma blessings? (except for the demon lord, they should all be easily accessible by now).

Everyone in my party maxed out on learning skill by level 38 or so (so it was +80% in XP gain from then on, effectively removing any need for clearing areas; I also kept running away from most encounters since I felt I didn't need any more xp). Don't worry if you've cleared out Devonia, there will be plenty more XP-rich areas to come if you feel like you have to grind (the hidden islands around the first titan area + the rest of the temples + the demon zone has 4 spawn areas IIRC). Bear in mind that there won't be any real difficulty spikes coming, though - a bit more meat on mobs and bosses doing a bit more damage, but nothing really new or scary. There will also be quite a few natural power boosts for your party coming soon
such as the rest of the titans dropping even better orbs than the first.
I wouldn't worry if I were you. If anything, the max learning strat made it a bit too easy on the middle difficulty level.

cw8

Cipher
I don't know, as long as you could kill the titan without too much trouble I don't think you're underleveled at all. Did you get all the perma blessings? (except for the demon lord, they should all be easily accessible by now).

Everyone in my party maxed out on learning skill by level 38 or so (so it was +80% in XP gain from then on, effectively removing any need for clearing areas; I also kept running away from most encounters since I felt I didn't need any more xp). Don't worry if you've cleared out Devonia, there will be plenty more XP-rich areas to come if you feel like you have to grind (the hidden islands around the first titan area + the rest of the temples + the demon zone has 4 spawn areas IIRC).

Thanks. I only have 3 perm blessings (resist, con and power). I didn't get any random encounters from the islands from the boat, I'll go give it a shot again. Currently clearing the temple after the first Titan. My resists are quite high, so the Titan is quite doable on old school. My mage is actually immune to some of the elemental attacks from the big blue demon in Devonia but the party can't exactly kill those right yet.

Rpgsaurus Rex

Everyone in my party maxed out on learning skill by level 38 or so (so it was +80% in XP gain from then on, effectively removing any need for clearing areas; I also kept running away from most encounters since I felt I didn't need any more xp). Don't worry if you've cleared out Devonia, there will be plenty more XP-rich areas to come if you feel like you have to grind (the hidden islands around the first titan area + the rest of the temples + the demon zone has 4 spawn areas IIRC).

Thanks. I only have 3 perm blessings (resist, con and power). I didn't get any random encounters from the islands from the boat, I'll go give it a shot again. Currently clearing the temple after the first Titan. My resists are quite high, so the Titan is quite doable on old school. My mage is actually immune to some of the elemental attacks from the big blue demon in Devonia but the party can't exactly kill those right yet.

No problem! I don't think the 6 islands have random spawns (though I may be wrong... there's a mausoleum there, right?), I only meant the XP you can get off the standing mobs there.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom