Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

ScubaV

Prophet
treave can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure Shun isn't interested in actually using WQS, but is more intrigued by the philosophy behind it.

Citing a scholarly curiosity, he wonders if you will at least describe the basics of the technique to him, even if he does not have the foundations to learn it.

Absinthe

Arcane
Esquilax, on points 1&3 (chaos), I suppose we get to ask treave when we will be able to use copied techniques in chaos mode.

Point 2 & 4 (can you copy a legendary tech), may as well ask treave on this also. I may have focused too much on the "The bastard still had something in reserve." line as an indicator he was adding qi he kept hidden. Anyway, I'm sure they'll still have other techniques we can copy to fend them off. Or we could copy our friends for their techs.

Point 5 (our legendary sword tech good enough?), well, there's also those Yuchang Sword techs. Sounds like we have some extremely fast swordsmanship now if we combine moves 3&4. Add our legendary technique (hard to perceive our sword) and I wouldn't rule out the possibility that we can kick some serious ass with these sword techs alone. Our own legendary sword will probably cover for our comparatively low skill anyhow. But we don't need truly terrifying right now (nor do I think that any of the techniques we can learn will give us that). I'm just expecting that Wuxiang Qiankun + mystery boost will do enough to cover the difference. We don't need Wuxiang Qiankun to overpower them on the face, just to be a decisive factor.

As for the mystery boost, I wouldn't rule out a neigong boost here either.

Last edited:

a cut of domestic sheep prime

treave can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure Shun isn't interested in actually using WQS, but is more intrigued by the philosophy behind it.

Citing a scholarly curiosity, he wonders if you will at least describe the basics of the technique to him, even if he does not have the foundations to learn it.
It's what he says, sure. But he may not be being truthful and even if he is, his intentions could change with time. Knowing it at all would be dangerous. Even knowing the downside, if you knew it, wouldn't you be tempted to use it? Add to that Shun's personality, family history, and the responsibilities on his shoulders...

Last edited by a moderator:

Baltika9

Arcane
I don't believe that WQS is what makes a great pugilist. Sure, it's a sweet bonus with nice boosts, but wet shouldn't be getting to hunt up on it. It's a long road till the point where we can lolinstacopy everything, and I strongly believe that we other to balance our development of the super technique and our personal pugilistic talents.
It's what he says, sure. But he may not be being truthful and even if he is, his intentions could change with time. Knowing it at all would be dangerous. Even knowing the downside, if you knew it, wouldn't you be tempted to use it? Add to that Shun's personality and the responsibilities on his shoulders...
So it's an issue of trust, and I trust Shun to not go Full Retard with it especially with our warning and guidance. We avoided making him a power hungry tyrant when we saved his father's life by not assassinating him. I trust Shun, simple as that.

Esquilax

Arcane

Shun will fall into a deep slumber for three centuries, gaining great martial prowess in his deathless sleep. He shall awaken as an immortal, his neigong boosted to such levels over the slow passage of time. He shall wander the lands of the people whom he had left, only to find that his home, his once bright Empire, has fallen to tatters, its people broken and desperate. Who could be blamed for such a decline in his once proud Kingdom?

At the head of it all, Ma Duk had risen a century after Shun's disappearance, uniting the country under his iron fist as God-Emperor of the Tang. Presenting himself as a savior of China, he was in truth an intergalactic being hell-bent on domination over all humanity, regardless of whether they be Han, Tibetan, Miao, or Tujue. He seeks only to dominate and feed from men, no matter from where they happen to hail.

Now it's up to Shun to use his martial arts powers to defeat Ma Duk and to bring hope to a land that has abandoned it.

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I may as well ask treave for confirmation on these points.

+1 stealth was less of a thing with Bai in Huashan because of circumstances. Agility is always useful. +1 Intelligence allowed the elders fight to go well.

Esquilax, on points 1&3 (chaos), I suppose we get to ask treave when we will be able to use copied techniques in chaos mode.

When you actually learn the techniques, which means starting from level 4. But mimicking the quality of neigong doesn't mean you can be even more magic bullshit than usual and mimic its quantity by creating qi out of nowhere. Setting aside the problem of draining Xuxian in the first place (or hoping the librarian does not do anything about it) even if you learn the neigong technique, it does not provide an instant boost to the amount of qi. It will take time for the qi to build up.

He wants to read about it and dissect the theory, yes. As for practicing it, hard to say, but meditating on the technique is something more dangerous to a practitioner who already knows plenty of martial arts, compared to a novice. Paradoxically, it is easier to lose your way with this technique if you know - or think you know - where you want to go, and if you don't know where to go, most of the time what happens is that you don't go anywhere.

Last edited:

Absinthe

Arcane
What about the question with copying legendary techniques?

Some people asserted we couldn't copy Bai's move because it was imperceptible, others (myself) because we thought Bai added qi he had been holding back to exceed our limits. Is it possible to copy legendary techniques (esp. if we upgrade Wuxiang Qiankun)?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Some people asserted we couldn't copy Bai's move because it was imperceptible, others (myself) because we thought Bai added qi he had been holding back to exceed our limits?

The former interpretation is the correct one. As to whether upgrading Wuxiang Qiankun will allow you to surpass that limitation, you don't know if it will.

Esquilax

Arcane
Okay, so I've put together another tally and cross-referenced it with Elfbersker's. Voters, please tell me if I've gotten anything wrong, or if I've forgotten you.

ERYFKRAD A V, VI
asxetos A VI, VIII
Elfberserker B V>VII VI
Nevill A, V>VIII, VI
Esquilax B, VI, VII
ChumBucket B, V, VIII
Azira A, X, XI
Baltika9 A, VI, VII>V
Kz3r0 A, X, XI
tropic A, V, X > XI
Ifeex X, XI
Ganymede IV, VII
Kipeci A, X, XI
Tigranes B, VI, X
Akkudakku A, X>VII XI>IV
topic A, V, X>XI
TOME A, V, XI > X
Fangshi A, VI, VIII
Absinthe A, X, XI
Jester V, VI
Rex Feral A, X, XI
archaen B, X, XI > X VI
Lambchop B, XI, VI
Tribute V, VIII > VI, VIII
Brazilian Slaughter A, V, VI
ScubaV B, V, VI
Kashmir Slippers A, V, VIII

And the raw totals, without conditionals taken into account (on a side note, fuck conditionals for these kinds of votes):

IV (Liushen Shanshen Great Skill): 1
V (Dingdong Step): 10
VI (Xiongshi Violent Roar): 12
VII (Jinshe Baojun Fiery Eye): 4
VIII (Taiji Fist/Taiji Sword): 5
X (WQS Solo Meditation): 9
XI (WQS Xuezi Meditation): 11

Last edited:

Absinthe

Arcane
Eh, only one way to find out, then. That restriction only applies to deceptive Jiuyin techniques anyway, and we're not about to fight Lady Ji or Bai Jiutian, I reckon. By his reckoning, the Zhang family doesn't have more Jiuyin techniques yet anyway.

Treave, how skilled have we gotten at staying in Order mode, btw? Is order mode still unreliable or can we expect to stay in Order mode however long we need to. Judging by the Yunzi synchro fight, I'm guessing the latter?

treave can have only one of the WQS meditation skills be able to win so we aren't unnecessarily doubling our meditation with no benefit? I think 99% of us want some other skill in addition...

edit: oops, sorry.

Absinthe

Arcane
Treave already confirmed that the two meditations stack. We make even more progress by doing both.

Ok, flopping to B XI VI to do my best to lock in the assisted meditation victory. A pity the laser eye option didn't have more votes.

Absinthe

Arcane
Oh yeah treave, can we get information on the status with Zuo Qingfeng and You Lanhai's children? Since we're going to the ten swords conference, it's good to know where their loyalties lie.

Last edited:

Fangshi

Arcane
Keeping the roar (VI)

Flopping from Taiji Fist to the Dingdi Step (V) to get a defensive technique since Taiji won't win.

Also flopping from A to B, maybe it would be better for everyone if the WQS does not spread around too much...

B, V, VI

Bros ignored the perception boost and general awesomeness of laser eye in favor of defensive the dingdong step. Makes me a sad lambchop. :( In all honesty, it should have been a no-brainer for us to pick both of Zhang's techniques. Then, in the next update, pick the fire qi and poison qi (we can still learn that, right?) to become a truly terrifying Fire Temple lord.

We'd we able to bring down an army with a roar, cause people to explode in flames with a single strike, set our enemies ablaze with our terrifying gaze, and fart poison.
Ahura, eat your heart out.

Akkudakku

Arbiter
Bros ignored the perception boost and general awesomeness of laser eye in favor of defensive the dingdong step. Makes me a sad lambchop. :( In all honesty, it should have been a no-brainer for us to pick both of Zhang's techniques. Then, in the next update, pick the fire qi and poison qi (we can still learn that, right?) to become a truly terrifying Fire Temple lord.

We'd we able to bring down an army with a roar, cause people to explode in flames with a single strike, set our enemies ablaze with our terrifying gaze, and fart poison.
Ahura, eat your heart out.
I wanted the lazors but was denied too...

kazgar

Arcane
B XI VI

eye lazors are going to be underrated, and probably easily dodged the same way anyone of reasonable ability can dodge finger qi attacks

(And i know zhang techniques are rare, but we should only focus on one)

and i'm slightly still butthurt from missing out on lions roar when it was the mystery technique.

Absinthe

Arcane
OR we could just maximize our Wuxiang Qiankun until we reach rank 4 and immediately learn a couple dozen techniques. Then we can learn what's left.

kazgar

Arcane
Did we get any benefits from our sparring sessions of last update, or is being beaten by zhang run of the mill these days?

eye lazors are going to be underrated, and probably easily dodged the same way anyone of reasonable ability can dodge finger qi attacks
I would think eye lasers would be harder to dodge. A glance is quicker than a finger point. Besides, who would even be expecting lasers to shoot out of our eyes? Just imagine how the last fight with Bai would have ended:

Bai: Well, it appears we're at a stalemate. You could kill me and I could kill you. :lol:
Jing: EYE LASERS BITCH!
Bai: WTF?! *zap* *fried*

Baltika9

Arcane
Why do you want to kill the mother of our unborn child, Lambchop? :(

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom