Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Baltika9

Arcane
I'm afraid that the only correct answer here is to PRAY and hope Nu'wa still loves us:
Baltika9
Anabanana
Elfberserker
Smashing Axe
RealDDc
Kz3r0
Zero Credibility
Azira
Akkudakku
Tribute
Lambchop19
+
The Brazilian Slaughter
Kipeci
profreshinal
Tribute
Jester

16/20
I took the last one treave posted circa the rollback.
I think Wuxiang Qiankun is better than the alternatives here, unless you want to vote D. Also, we will still be working with the girl in B; it's just that A will leave us completely dependent on teamwork while we try to kiss a guy who can quite possibly shoot out those same swords from his body.
But will Sword Demon-kun be able to kill us after we confess our love to him in the form of super-poisonous, head-exploding qi?

Last edited:

Absinthe

Arcane
I'm not worried about after. I'm worried about before.

Honestly, if we can make A land, it should destroy him. It would fuck up his neigong royally.

Akkudakku

Arbiter
Ok I see it like this - either actually the MASK gives the guy power or he just eats swords...
If he is impervious to blades then we should just use our sword to defend and rend the fucker with claws.

B for now.

Baltika9

Arcane
I'm not worried about after. I'm worried about before.
We displayed the ability to dodge and evade his attacks, so I don't think that's going to be a problem in A more than in B. The real danger of A is getting stabbed mid-liplock for being homo.

Akkudakku

Arbiter
This is not about revealing our move, it is about staying alive.

The WQS does not work well with the legendary swords.
The choice mentions unarmed techniques as your last line of offense. The Sword Demon is not relying on those, so WQS does not really add anything to this method.
The choice states we will try this in a one-on-one fight, so no meaningful help from Minuye is forthcoming.
We don't even know what we want to copy from him. It's not his moves that are dangerous, it is his inhuman vitality. What use is landing a successfull strike if it has no effect? In Songfeng, Rong Zhiyu managed to hit us, but failed to kill, and that became his undoing.

But my heart won't take another 'WQS is the answer to everything' debate, at least not without some hard facts with relevant quotes attached.
WQS always helps with defense, even if we are NOT coppying the moves for ourselves.

This is a battle of one-upping each other untill the second one cant one-up anymore.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Out teamwork with Minuye is pretty damn near perfect for someone whom we've met five minutes ago, too:
Mixing up your sword moves and unarmed styles and using everything you have at your disposal, you go toe to toe with the Sword Demon as Zhang Minyue tries to work together with you without asking any unnecessary questions.
Spinning, he breaks away from your little competition to avoid Zhang Minyue’s attack. Her distraction has given you the opening you need.
The girl does not ask questions and she uses the opportunity when she sees one, seeing how she intervened just in time to save our life.

WQS always helps with defense, even if we are NOT copying the moves for ourselves.
Did not help much against Bai Jiutian, did it?

Not sure where you got this, really. It is a technique to copy the moves. The motions. The full understanding of the concept behind the moves does not come automatically, as we've seen with, for example, the Taiji Sword.

Last edited:

a cut of domestic sheep prime

A trolls him pretty hard regardless. Who would expect us to kiss him? Probably not him? I think he'd be too busy being surprised to stab us. The choice's text seems to assume that as well.

Absinthe

Arcane
I'm afraid that the only correct answer here is to PRAY and hope Nu'wa still loves us:
I'd rather not considering the narrative with Nuwa. If we pray to her, we would be lowering ourselves just the way she wants. In its own way it cheapens everything that happened before.

Out teamwork with Minuye is pretty damn near perfect for someone whom we've met five minutes ago, too:
That's the basic teamwork of two people trying to help each other out. A is asking for an actual team strategy.

Er, it did. We stalemated him when the fight would have gone worse otherwise, and Bai Jiutian had to resort to a legendary technique of his own. If we didn't use it, Zhang Manxing would have lived. (Then again he might also have attacked Shaolin while we stayed there which would have made things much easier on us.)

Not sure where you got this, really. It is a technique to copy the moves. The motions. The full understanding of the concept behind the moves does not come automatically, as we've seen with, for example, the Taiji Sword.
No, you're getting it wrong. You do learn the moves. The problem with copying Taiji Sword is that it's an ever-changing countering technique so we can't copy more than the stance because there's nothing more to copy - Taiji Sword by its very nature requires us to improvise constantly to adapt to our opponent's moves.

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
And how could lowering yourself before a crazy, you-obsessed snake woman possibly be a bad thing?
+M

Akkudakku

Arbiter
Mixing up your sword moves and unarmed styles and using everything you have at your disposal, you go toe to toe with the Sword Demon as Zhang Minyue tries to work together with you without asking any unnecessary questions.
Spinning, he breaks away from your little competition to avoid Zhang Minyue’s attack. Her distraction has given you the opening you need.
The girl does not ask questions and she uses the opportunity when she sees one, seeing how she intervened just in time to save our life.

WQS always helps with defense, even if we are NOT copying the moves for ourselves.

We didn't learn Taiji with WQS and I don't remember us countering it with WQS either. The lack of understanding comes mostly from it being based on being the chosen ONE (and from our instructor not being that great at it too probably). Still it will improve over time.

WQS helped us substantialy with BJ, only move we couldnt catch was IMPERCEPTIBLE and as such didn't work for us. Otherwise we had perfect counters for everything.

Nevill

Arcane
WQS helped us substantialy with BJ, only move we couldnt catch was IMPERCEPTIBLE and as such didn't work for us. Otherwise we had perfect counters for everything.
It did help us with his first attack we copied, but we countered the second one with our own Minamoto moves before returning it to him and overwhelming him.

I do not see how it is usefull if you do not use it to copy the moves. Not saying that it isn't, just that I don't see the proof of your claims.

Still, to play the devil's advocate, the guy keeps asking for more, and he thinks we have exhausted our options:
“But is that all you have? Surely there is more?”
[...]
“I am an impatient, impatient man at times,” he laughs in return, “and you are only saying that because you think you do not have the advantage at the moment.”
So maybe giving him what he does not expect us to have is the right call?

I don't know.

On the other hand,
“A surprising appearance!” he exclaims cheerfully, swinging away. “You may yet be a man after my own heart!”

Defending against his expert slashes with equal precision, you turn his sword away and go on the attack. “If you will stand still for just a second, I’ll show you just how right you are!”
:M:M:M

Last edited:

Absinthe

Arcane
It did help us with his first attack we copied, but we countered the second one with our own Minamoto moves before returning it to him and overwhelming him.
Yes, but Wuxiang Qiankun improves our ability to counter like that. By understanding their moves we can respond better. Treave already confirmed this much:
We will still be much better off for copying their techniques and adding our own. If nothing else, having a great insight into those techniques should improve our abilities at the countering game. Treave, can you confirm this?
It would, but having the extra insight might only mean that you realize sometimes the best counter is to scream at them, or shoot eye lasers, or soft-counter all over their face with Taiji spam etc. You can't know for sure before (if) you face those techniques.
Incidentally, we have two of those three options right now.

Last edited:

archaen

Cipher
Patron
Treave, if I may, what color(s) is(are) the mask? I assume that Jing, being raised in court, would know what the colors correspond to for meaning.

Rex Feral

Prophet
D, run away run away, live to fight another day. This guy mentioned he wouldn't tackle master Zhang YET. No sane person would tackle him ever. I say we get the fuck out.

Nevill

Arcane
As much as I personally dislike it, D might be the way to go here. If we don't find enough evidence to support one of the other choices, I am not comfortable with taking a 50% risk.

Yes, we have an opportunity to finish this here and now (probably), but we also have a chance to die ignominiously. It might be prudent to do as we did with Xuxian, to back off and tackle the problem from another angle when we know more about it, instead of rushing to our death based on a hunch or a gut feeling.

Baltika9

Arcane
Meta: D was added about five minutes after the update was posted, so one of the A-C options is the correct one. I just wonder which one of them it is.

tropic

Scholar
That spider silk move was so cool...

Usually treave puts hints in the live/die updates... anyone parsed this yet and have good ideas?

Voting A for now.

Baltika9

Arcane
It might be prudent to do as we did with Xuxian, to back off and tackle the problem from another angle when we know more about it, instead of rushing to our death based on a hunch or a gut feeling.
I think the ship had sailed for that one on the previous update. The man has us in his sights and the girl as well.

tropic

Scholar
In the first update, he seemed "sharper... more real."

I'm thinking he is definitely a demon, or at least possessed by one.

ScubaV

Prophet
Gonna vote A for now. Could be convinced to flop.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom