Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

ScubaV

Prophet
OH LAWD, THE END IS NIGH!
REPENT ALL YE SINNERS!
AND THOSE WHO REFUSED THE AVATAR OF WAR!

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
She will kill Shun if you do not occupy anything less than her full attention.

That means defensive tactics are out since she doesn't really need to get close to kill him, she might snipe him with some qi projection or something.
I'll just repost this exchange. Take it for what it is, because I have no idea if it is an argument in favor of anything.
Since we need to grab her attention and distract her from Shun, I don't think we can allow ourselves the luxury of waiting for an opening in a defensive stance. Shun is her goal here, not us - the moment we stop putting the pressure on her, she'll kill him.
You'll still be protecting Shun (or trying to, at least) in a defensive stance, since you'll try to stop her attacks from getting past you and retaliate when you see an opening.
So defensive stances are an option for a reason.

I still think that Shun is better protected if we go close combat here, though.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Encountering intermittent blackouts here. If I get a good stretch of uninterrupted electricity, I'll close the votes in 6 hours and update then.

Absinthe

Arcane
Lambchop19, I'm not disputing the B vote. In fact, I'm not too sure about A vs B myself in the end.

We do have the following things in favor of swords: Red Cloud Sword for chaos, this is a fucking SWORDS arc, bone-dissolving claws and other unarmed techs aren't so scary against swords.

I'm just surprised you don't have A in that conditional.

Tigranes

Arcane
Flop from C to C>A, if C has no chance of winning. I maintain that the effectiveness of sword or unarmed over palm skill is not guaranteed, and that this seems well suited to the update text telling us the winds are now going amok, but if it has to be A or B, I'm banking on the fact that the enemy who set up the Ten Swords Conference would have a plan for how to deal with the Ten Swords in combat.

Nevill

Arcane
I may be missing something obvious here... but what does either choice have to do with the wind? What does it affect - well, except for our ability to stand, that is?

a cut of domestic sheep prime

I'm just surprised you don't have A in that conditional.
Because A is freaking retarded. :M She's unarmed and has powerful unarmed attacks that just melted the freaking ground. Just why the hell should we even try to fight her on her level when we we have the advantage of superior trolling and/or swords we can use instead.
Her claws sink into the floor; the stone begins melting and bubbling as she withdraws her hand.[/quote]

Nope. Noooooope. I don't want ANY of that.

Nevill

Arcane
Well, our master can fell trees that are twice as wide as he is in a single swoop, yet we can meet his attacks head-on.
Before you can get to your feet, he draws his arm back and drives it into the trunk with a tremendous shout.

The tree, wide enough that you could barely put your arms around it, sways. There is a cracking, splintering sound as the wood breaks apart where your master had hit it. He is not waiting for it to hit the ground. As the tree begins to fall, its attraction to the earth slowly pulling it downwards, Zhang Jue leaps onto the trunk and begins running towards you.
I can't tell whether this technique of hers is a legitimate danger (of the 'rocks fall everyone dies' variety - it is obvious it is a danger) or just Wuxia stuff at this point.

Just look at the list of the legendary techniques. Does it inspire more confidence in you if you have to face them instead of the Bone Melting Claws? They are all ridiculous and over-the-top.

Absinthe

Arcane
Lambchop19,

Because I reckon our mastery of claw combat is higher than hers even if she has more dangerous tech. And ZJ's techs would also carve rock without issue.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
I mean why you think that we are better than her at it (or at anything) when we don't know a single thing about her (other than that she is an extremely dangerous opponent that would kill us in an instant if we let her).

Absinthe

Arcane
So far she does not seem too good in a straight fight. Deceptive techniques, music techniques. The one time she tries to kill Shun with her unarmed tech, Shun manages to dodge her claws while he's still bleeding from his wound. I get the impression that aside from the dangerousness of her techniques, she's actually not a very good fighter. And if Shun can dodge her claws, then Jing with his superior agi and ZJ training should be fine.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
But techniques are the thing that makes one a good fighter. Xuxian was a nobody until he learned the legendary tech, and look at what he have become.

Besides, both of her failed assassination attempts were before she got into her serious mode:
A soft giggle floats into your ears. “Paid off? Victory? Are you all fools? None of you will leave here alive.” There is a tremor of anger in the veiled lady’s voice that you have not heard before; from her trembling shoulders, she appears to be positively seething. “That is a fact.” Her voice turns cold as a tremendous flow of yin qi radiates from her body. The shadows darken further even though the sun is hidden behind the clouds. The darkness under her feet ripples; for a moment, you seem to see hundreds of faces, masked in shade, flowing towards her from every direction. Putting her palms up, she takes a stance, that veil still covering her face.
Nothing says 'playtime is over' quite like the passage above.

Absinthe

Arcane
Techniques make you dangerous. Skills make you good. And Xuxian's legendary art is the art that promotes direct fighting prowess, while this veiled lady's art promotes the opposite - defeating your opponent without direct combat.

Tigranes

Arcane
I may be missing something obvious here... but what does either choice have to do with the wind? What does it affect - well, except for our ability to stand, that is?

I thought C was all about using the palm to blast her off the cliffs. Has that been debunked?

Absinthe

Arcane
C is about looking for any possible opening to use. What has been debunked about C is this: "She will kill you if you make so much as a single mistake in battle." And we are completely new to these palm techniques.

When it comes to it, we should stick to the options with the most experience.

Nevill

Arcane
I thought C was all about using the palm to blast her off the cliffs. Has that been debunked?
That may well be, but how would the wind affect that?

Do we even know how (or if) it affects qi?

Sticking to the options we've had experience with would not have helped us during the encounter with Ahura. You should stick to whatever you think will work instead.

Absinthe

Arcane
In the Ahura fight, our hint was "All flows from the Origin and returns to the Origin." In the veiled lady fight, our hint is "She will kill you if you make so much as a single mistake in battle."

I think we should take our hints seriously.

asxetos

Augur
Late vote for A > B.
One single mistake will kill us, so we sould play to our strengths.
D would be awesome to just defend Shun until his plan pays off, but i dont want to risk it since we dont have so much training with Taiji to use against a fucking god.
C sounds bad to me. Mid range is not Jing's usual fighting style.
E sounds like a coin flip.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
After double-checking the tallies:

Kipeci - A>B
ERYFKRAD - A
Kz3r0 - A
Elfberserker - A
GreyViper - A
archaen - A>C
Fangshi - A
The Brazilian Slaughter - A
tropic - A>B
asxetos - A>B

Kashmir Slippers - B
Azira - B>A
Grimgravy - B>C
Rex Feral - B>C
Absinthe - B>A

ChumBucket - C>B
Baltika9 - C>A
Tigranes - C>A
Kayerts - C>B
Jester - C>B
Nevill - C

Smashing Axe - D>C>B
Lambchop19 - D>B>C

Akkudakku - E>C>A

Final tally:

A - 10
B - 5
C - 6
D - 2
E - 1

Post-flop:

A - 12
B - 1
C - 11

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom