Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Baltika9

Arcane
Tomorrow. If we sneak about their camp tonight, we'll have a good idea of the layout and will be able to go straight for the head, Instead of running around camp like a headless chicken. A is also a great source of forward Intel.

Esquilax

Arcane
Nevill is right, this girl is a big problem. Jing knew she was trouble right from the get-go:

“See that girl? Zhou Dingqiu’s daughter?” you whisper.

“Yes, what of her?”

“It’s going to be trouble. I know how this is going to go,”

I don't think that A implies that we'll just be sneaking, Baltika9. Look:

A. You agree and go along with her to meet the pirates before the mission begins. It will be extremely risky, but it will give you the chance to turn adversity into opportunity. You can decide what to do with the pirates after you set foot on the island – this will give you a headstart on the other pugilists anyway.

Meeting with them implies at the very least some sort of conversation. The point is, they're going to know we're there. Sure, we might be able to slip in our poison or gleam info from them, but by going with A, you are going to be giving the enemy information on tomorrow's attack. Now, of course that's moot if their leader's dead, but I'm not going to go with A if we aren't committed to achieving our challenge before the other pugilists arrive on the scene.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So what's your plan, then? A double-cross? Arrive on an island, knock our employer out, and go on a raid? Or will you try to do both her mission and yours, at once? Will you only slay the pirate leader and leave, or will you try to wipe them all completely?

Kashmir Slippers

Magister
Tomorrow. If we sneak about their camp tonight, we'll have a good idea of the layout and will be able to go straight for the head, Instead of running around camp like a headless chicken. A is also a great source of forward Intel.

A also runs the risk of us being caught in the pirate hideout when the others arrive and everyone trying to lump us together with the pirates. A lot of them seem to be chomping at the bit to have a reason to hate us. let us not give them anything. We might win a lot of respect by being reasonable. Intel would be nice, but I don't think that we should be the person to get it.

Elfberserker

Liturgist
And when will we take the leader's head?

I assume when most of his crew are enduring nasty punch from either poison or laxativies. We also have good chance to scout ahead and I trust our sneak skills.

Condemning the operation to punish the pirates for their raids and possibly leading people who trusted her family to their deaths by warning their enemies is treachery, no matter how you slice it.

Unless we take another path once we arrive on island, if we choose A. Maybe talking to them and warning them was only solution she could think that could possible success, She doesn't seem to be very good at sneaking. However the importan question is do we trust her? Being good at lying isn't something exclusive to underworlds and courts, however this may be just my paranoia speaking.

The more that I think about this girl, the more I am convinced that it's stupid choice to play her tune. Her attitude towards pirates will cause trouble, especially if we arrive alone and remember we are here to smash some pirates and win our personal challenge. Saving pirate's wife life from slaughter is sadly only third object, first and second being winning our challenge and exterminating pirates.

Jester

Arbiter
Vote C

I expect that pirate captain is her husband. Lets get that girl description and name from her, after that say no to 5th column and get this pseudo nazi activist to house arrest.

C - I see no reason to support this girl. We may still be able to save her friend, but such is not a priority. I'm curious what taking the safe option gives us for once.
Probably reputation points from her family, after we prevented possible scandal.
To quote a dear friend of Ean's:
Edem said:
For fuck’s sake...
Good quote i like it.
Unfortunately you can't afford them.
I see what you did there. :lol: Shoplifting or conning?
Besides this sounds shady, the girl probably tells what she thinks is the truth, but maybe she doesn't know the whole truth.
This is just presumptive, we have no grounds for this sort of assumption. And besides, this is a simple case: whatever her reasons, a girl married a pirate and this girl wants to save her from the slaughter. She came to Jing for help, and I really don't want to turn her down in her time of need.
Besides, ratting her out to her parents is extremely UNBRO.
She isn't our sis she is just annoying bodyguard quest giver.
KO our target and carry her out on our shoulders and spike the Pirates' supplies with laxatives on our way out. Problem solved. Again, as Esquilax said, we won't be going in there guns blazing tonight, so I see no reason why we can't take the stealthy approach.
That's not a sis, that's a race traitor material. The girl just doesn't know right from wrong. "The pirates aren't that bad, they only pillage to survive". What the hell?
Kinda how she approached Zhang's apprentice for help, "I can't judge him without knowing him, that would be unfair." Thegirl just has a very open mind. This presents possibilities.
Emm rather no orthodox student would attempt to betray their people for something stupid like this, but lucky there is some unorthodox fighter who probably dont give a damn about that lets ask him.

Nevill

Arcane
Elfberserker said:
Unless we take another path once we arrive on island, if we choose A.
That was a comment about the girl, not about the choice itself.
Elfberserker said:
However the importan question is do we trust her?
Fuck NO! If the other pugilists find us with her on the island, she'll sell us out just as easily as she was going to sell them.

Baltika9

Arcane
Nevill is right, this girl is a big problem. Jing knew she was trouble right from the get-go:

I don't think that A implies that we'll just be sneaking, Baltika9. Look:

Meeting with them implies at the very least some sort of conversation. The point is, they're going to know we're there. Sure, we might be able to slip in our poison or gleam info from them, but by going with A, you are going to be giving the enemy information on tomorrow's attack. Now, of course that's moot if their leader's dead, but I'm not going to go with A if we aren't committed to achieving our challenge before the other pugilists arrive on the scene.
Don't get me wrong, we issued a challenge and I'm in it to win it. However, A is open-ended and with the bag of dirty tricks and poison we're bringing with us will allow us to turn the battlefield to our advantage.
Them knowing about the pugilists is actually to our advantage because they will be able to put up a decent fight against the orthodoxes, delaying the Songfeng and giving us a better chance at their leader, especially since we know the island.

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
Fuck NO! If the other pugilists find us with her on the island, she'll sell us out just as easily as she was going to sell them.
I dunno about that, the mere fact that she went up to the student of THE Zhang Jue, THE Southern Maniac, who has a reputation of a mass murdering nihilist (but we all know that's vile slander against a gentle, misunderstood soul) for help to save an innocent person from a slaughter, speaks volumes of both her courage and desperation about the issue, not to mention her BRO. I sincerely doubt she'll sell us out to anyone if we go there to help save her friend.

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
UNdecided, may be swayed.
I'm swaying you to A.

Are you swayed yet?

No, try smarter. :obviously:
Alright, tough crowd.

I think all the arguments have already been laid out: C is the ostensibly 'safe' option, nets us rep points with the girl's family and prevents her from sneaking off to the island and getting in trouble. We maintain the element of surprise and race to kill off the pirate leader in a 'fair and square' competition.
In my personal opinion, this is also extremely unbro, ratting the girl out like this when all she wants is to save her friend and is desperate/ballsy enough to ask Zhang "The Southern Maniac" Jue's disciple for help.

A is the riskier, 'open-ended' option, we definitely tip off the pirates to the upcoming assault, which means they will be better prepared and will put up a better fight against the pugilists, but it also means that we will have more time and better chances to find and kill the Wo leader first because we know the layout of the island and the Songfeng students will be distracted with a more competent defense. Not to mention the dirty tricks we can arrange on the island. That, and we get to save an innocent, instead of acting like a Huehueshan ass.
And from a personal standpoint, I respect the girl for asking our help 9again, takes serious ovaries to ask Jing for help. Who knows, he just might grope her on the way there :lol: ) and am kinda loathe to turn her down. I think the "OMG, she'll betray us!" argument is nonsense. She definitely won't throw away the ticket to her friend's safety that stupidly, and I think she's smart enough not to doublecross Zhang's apprentice.

Esquilax

Arcane
In my personal opinion, this is also extremely unbro, ratting the girl out like this when all she wants is to save her friend and is desperate/ballsy enough to ask Zhang "The Southern Maniac" Jue's disciple for help.

A is the riskier, 'open-ended' option, we definitely tip off the pirates to the upcoming assault, which means they will be better prepared and will put up a better fight against the pugilists, but it also means that we will have more time and better chances to find and kill the Wo leader first because we know the layout of the island and the Songfeng students will be distracted with a more competent defense. Not to mention the dirty tricks we can arrange on the island. That, and we get to save an innocent, instead of acting like a Huehueshan ass.

So ratting her out is bad, but ratting out the entire assault team is okay? I'm sticking with A because I want to take out the leader before our competitors arrive here, but you can't justify telling her old man about her plans as being more morally proper than potentially allowing many more pugilists to die tomorrow than they would otherwise.

So what's your plan, then? A double-cross? Arrive on an island, knock our employer out, and go on a raid? Or will you try to do both her mission and yours, at once? Will you only slay the pirate leader and leave, or will you try to wipe them all completely?

Well, the best laid plans often go awry, but I suppose I'd arrange a peaceful meeting with drinks along with their leader to negotiate. We'd spike his drink with Qilin's poison, then as soon as he started convulsing, we'd strike. We'd use the element of surprise and the leader being incapacitated in our favour. Of course, circumstances could change, our luck could fuck us over, but the broad strokes of my plan would be to poison the leader early by feigning peaceful intentions, then taking out the remaining pirates and rescuing the damsel in distress.

I find it extremely unlikely that she'll betray us, her story is legit. Besides, A means that she exposes herself to a lot of risk and danger as well, so I doubt she'd put herself in such a position if she wasn't sincere about what she wanted to do. In any case, I think that we can dismiss thoughts of her betraying us as Shulgi-paranoia for now. Let's take her story as is, since there is no reason to doubt what she's saying unless you feel like being contrarian.

However, I find the identity of this pirate husband interesting:

“Right. Does your friend speak their language?” you ask.

“Not as far as I know.”

“Do any of them speak our language?”

“I don’t know,” she says, shaking her head. If her friend had married one of them surely they could communicate somehow… right?

I am under the impression that the whoever Miss Zhou's friend has married, he's not Japanese. If she can't speak Japanese, perhaps the pirate she married is Han as well. This is interesting, since Yu also told us that this issue was a matter of foreign policy. I don't know what sort of information or deeper implications that rescuing this girl might have, but I suspect that she may know something that could be relevant to our mission. I just find it strange that these pirates have decided to attack right now.

Baltika9

Arcane
I'm sticking with A because I want to take out the leader before our competitors arrive here,
That's one of my reasons too, and if taking him out isn't an option or is a bad option, we can at least arrange for something that will make it easier tomorrow. treave did say that losing this challenge is a possibility, might as well prepare for it as best we can.

And the second reason is, this person came to us for help in a delicate matter. Obviously, this person is desperate to turn to us, of all people, for help. Just doesn't sit right with me. Overthinking all the "what ifs" and "maybes" isn't how we solved our problems because, in the end, we're not some omniscient being that predicts the moves of each and every person days and months in advance. I say, go with what is right and gives us opportunities to turn "adversity into advantage."
Who knows what we'll find on the island, perhaps these pirates are divided and we can exploit their differences, or perhaps there are some traps we can set up to make the assault easier tomorrow, like spiking their supplies with laxatives or tossing their arrows and weapons into the water. Jing is a good sneak, we'll figure something out.
So ratting her out is bad, but ratting out the entire assault team is okay?
Got me there, it's pretty obvious I sympathize with the one person from there that gave us a chance and had the balls ovaries to ask for our help in saving her friend, than the hundreds of Joes that almost had an aneurysm when they learned of our presence.

Ganymede

Learned
At what point did Jing become a boring, orthodox pussy that would sell out a damsel in need of his aid?

Also, the look on pugilists faces when they hit the island and it's a vision of hell; ships destroyed, fires raging, women despoiled, and every pirate head on a pike facing the sea.

A

Baltika9

Arcane
Also, the look on pugilists faces when they hit the island and it's a vision of hell; ships destroyed, fires raging, women despoiled, and every pirate head on a pike facing the sea.
"Didn't know which one was the leader, so I beheaded all of them. Problem? :smug: "
I can see it already.

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
A for now. There's a lot of risks, but yes, there was nothing in the deal that we couldn't go in alone and win the bet first. If it works, we'll be respected.

The pessimistic side of me says this will probably be spun into some impression that we kidnapped Zhou's daughter and took off to sell her to the pirates, or something...

Nevill

Arcane
Esquilax said:
I find it extremely unlikely that she'll betray us, her story is legit.
Not that this is a major point for me, but where does your confidence come from? Yes, her story is legit, and she prefers betraying her father and his men to telling them the truth and hoping that they spare her friend. As long as it favors her, she is willing to play dirty.

Why do you think that she'll make an exception just for you, should, say, it come down to owning up to the plan? If both of you are discovered by your allies on the island, do you think she'll admit to what she had been doing?

Edit: And Tigranes said aloud what I was thinking to myself.

Baltika9

Arcane
How would our allies discover us on the island? Unless they're planning to sabotage the pirates as well?

Nevill

Arcane
If you find yourself unable to move away from the island for some reason. Say, if you are wounded, or you boat is burned.

This image does not mesh well with us returning to the main striking force, either:

Baltika9

Arcane
Probably not gonna happen, that one.

But there are other boats on the island (they're pirates from Japan, ffs) and our training with Zhang definitely toughened us up to more mundane injuries, like cuts, bruises and broken bones. We'll make it, gettng cught there is not a concern unless we do something really retarded. Like switch sides.

Nevill

Arcane
Yes, as a stealth mission it could work.

I'm just saying, don't count on the girl for anything, she is extremely selfish.

Baltika9

Arcane
...what? Dude, where are you getting that from? A selfish person doesn't go to an island chock full of violent pirates from another nation to rescue a childhood friend from a massive slaughter, all the meanwhile disobeying her parents. A selfish person doesn't approach Zhang Jue's apprentice to request help in regards to anything. If anything, she's a naive and foolhardy young idiot. But definitely not selfish.
Saying she's selfish is complete bullshit.

Nevill

Arcane
All right then. What's the word for "if you aren't her friend, she wouldn't think twice about fucking you over"? She's that.

What she is doing is retarded and just plain wrong.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom