Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Baltika9

Arcane
treave, what exactly would A involve? Would we get another choice when we hit the shore on how to proceed or what? Or is the girl planing to approach the island openly so that surprise is out of the picture?
emot-iiam.gif

This is all we're going to get on the subject:
See, this is the point where I realize something wasn't conveyed properly. Under no circumstances in A does she plan to go there to outright tell them about the attack. She just wants to get her friend off the island. However, by doing so this has a high chance of tipping the pirates off that something is going on, depending on how smart/paranoid they are and hence 'basically a warning'. She is willing to risk the pirates possibly getting suspicious and being on guard to get her friend to safety. She's not going there to sell all the plans for the attack to the pirates.
She's not going there to sell anyone out. The act itself may tip them off to the assault, or if we play our cards right, it may not. Bottom line, we're not selling out anyone intentionally and neither is she.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
treave, what exactly would A involve? Would we get another choice when we hit the shore on how to proceed or what? Or is the girl planing to approach the island openly so that surprise is out of the picture?

Second part does not preclude the first, but I won't confirm anything at this point. Do not take that as validation of anything though. It's not, 'Aha, he refuses to confirm, my suspicions are correct!'...even if it very well may be.

Can't we just ask her: "What exactly is your plan?" and threaten that not only are we not going with her if she doesn't tell us, but that we are going to tell on her if she refuses to cooperate? Is the plan to sneak in under darkness and let us do what we are best at? OK. Approach the island openly? Fuck that. Or maybe something else? That doesn't sound like an unreasonable question for someone that asked us to risk our life on a possibly foolish mission.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Well, if you insist on finding out...

She has her own opinion, but if you're confident in your chances of success she'll defer to your approach as long as it gets her friend out before the attack, which is to approach from a less guarded side, utilize your superior sneaking skills to scout out the hideout, and then decide whether abduction or persuasion or brute force would best serve that purpose.

Elfberserker

Liturgist
So... are you going to go there, take the girl with you, and just leave to return on the next day?

I was actually thinking about using our reputation here. Were are appearance of brutal killer, who is despised and feared by orthodox schools. We are also heir killer of respectable sword school and it sounds that these pirates have been around for while and have someone speaking our language. so there is good chance that they have heard of us. I believe that they would never think someone like us working with orthodox schools, so they are less likely to think we are part of some invansion force if we play our cards right. Risky? Defninately yes, but we kind a put ourselves in situation that requires risks in order to save our prep. With our speech skills, promise of shared rewards for returning the merchant daughter and our damn scary reputation we have some pull here. After all Jing is saavy in ways of the more shadier world. IF we want to go through diplomacy path.

Because I am pretty sure if you try to attack their leader (as I thought getting a headstart on the pugilists was the goal here), that counts as a warning.

I was actually restricting ourselves to sneaking and scouting until the main force arrives. We have pretty good sneak skills and have our Qinqqong technique, which is pretty useful for these kind of situation. We have good chance for putting ourselv in good position when the main battle begins.

Well, if you insist on finding out...

She has her own opinion, but if you're confident in your chances of success she'll defer to your approach as long as it gets her friend out before the attack, which is to approach from a less guarded side, utilize your superior sneaking skills to scout out the hideout, and then decide whether abduction or persuasion or brute force would best serve that purpose.
Details, good. I was already starting to think she was hiding something, like maybe that she is the pirate girl and she expects us to save her boyfriend, the pirate boss. What about the timing? Are we making our move under darkness or during the day? I know the attack is going in under the cover of darkness, so how much time do we have before the cavalry arrives?

Baltika9

Arcane
“I can have a boat prepared within the hour. If you are willing to assist me, we will set sail for Tielou Island tonight.”
The boat will be ready by sunset. We'll definitely get there when it's dark.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
You'll be there a few hours before dawn breaks. The island isn't exactly close to the shore. The pugilists are expected to arrive after sunset the next day, meaning that they set sail close to noon.

Baltika9

Arcane
How long till the polls close? Still suffering from update withdrawal from last week.

Jester

Arbiter
What if Lei Shen, the Thunder God, decides to fuck with us and sinks our boat?
That mission success, you interrupted pirates operations with help of divine power. Wait you talk about stolen pirate ship?

TOME

Cuckmaster General
treave, how do the pirates measure up with the pugilists? How many casualties does Jing expect if the pirates have time to prepare for the attack?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Dunno if this has been covered, but if we do meet the pirates, can we misdirect them somehow?
Also what are orthodox guys doing trying night-ops anyway?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
They shouldn't be able to beat the pugilists one to one, according to what is known. As for estimates, he can't be certain because he lacks details about the abilities of either side.

Rex Feral

Prophet
A - our objectives are to kill the leader and save the girl. And nothing else matters.

OK then, since it sounds like she is hoping we would be the one with the plan and hopefully she won't try anything stupid like talking to the pirates (if she does we can have our scholar sit on her while we do our Rambo routine) I'm flopping to A. It is riskier, but the idea of killing the boss and a large part of the pirate force and burning their ships (and yes, even finding the girl) before the task force even arrives is very attractive. And if it doesn't work out there is always our scapegoat to blame.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
A

But if it comes to choosing between the girl and the pirate leader's head, I'll choose the girl.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

A - our objectives are to kill the leader and save the girl. And nothing else matters.
What about keeping the guy's daughter alive? What happens if she gets killed? We'll probably be accused of kidnapping her and with her dead there will be no one to refute it. All the pugilists will hate us and attack us. Also, what happens if her friend doesn't want to be "saved" from her new life as a pirate? What if she rats us out to the pirates in order to warn them of the attack? Can we really handle an entire army of pirates on our own?

edit: I'm not wholly against A, but these are questions that need to be answered if we are going that route.

Good questions. For the first one, if there is any real risk to her I say we pack her in a boat and send her back, with our scholar to make sure she doesn't get any more bright ideas. We can tell her we got it from here, and it's not like she can do much to resist us. As for the pirate girl, I don't care one bit if she likes it there. If we are going after her we should be doing it SWAT style. Take her ass down, tie her up and deliver her to the extraction point.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Let's not delay the inevitable. Flopping to A.

A kingdom for the update!

Last edited:

Rex Feral

Prophet
Fine we could go with C and pursue the same objectives for all I care. The only difference is that we put her dad lock her in the closet while we kill pirates. And we'll have to kidnap that girl.

Or how about we do A with a change. We go there before the attack kill the leader and find the girl...but without her. WE first go and make her dad lock her up somewhere so she doesn't do anything stupid.

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
You can't afford a boat by yourself.

Huh, guess money is important...

Rex Feral

Prophet
Who said we were paying for it ?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom