Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Azira said:
I'm saying that we should try to make luck play as little a role as we possibly can.
All right. What role does luck play in this? What makes you think you have to be lucky to learn about certain people and meet them?

I mean, it's not like we are going to blindly walk into random people's houses and ask them if they can teach us.

Baltika9

Arcane
I think shitty luck will be a factor everywhere, if we let it. Practice an unorthodox technique near the monastery? A rival apprentice spots you and rats you out. Get fitted for a weapon? Get the shittiest one (better yet, a cursed sword :lol: ). Practicing meditation on a post? Turns out it's rotten and falls.

It's impossible to plan for luck and you are absolutely right that we should make it play as little a role as possible. Thing is, we can do that in E too. Rotten luck will be omnipresent, going to a monastery isn't a sham shield against it.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Azira said:
We're sent out to find information about the sects? Would be a good idea to start within one then.
Also, we are ultimately sent out to find intel on the unorthodox sect that attempted to kidnap the prince. Whether it is a good idea to start the investigation from one of the orthodox sects is anyone's guess.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is going unorthodox likely to affect the odds of getting a pardon from Princebro? As bro as he is, he still might have to worry about political considerations at that stage...

Or is this too meta a question?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Technically he could issue a pardon even if you ended up being a mass murderer and poisoner of villages.

Baltika9

Arcane
If this does not convince anyone that Jing needs a solid foundation in martial arts before he goes wandering around looking for that psycho Woman-in-Black in the non-orthodox side of the wuxia world.... I don't know what will. Jing needs to be able to at least defend himself or come to defense of someone weaker well enough if he's coming up against higher level foes. Don't go saving people if you can't even kick your foes' ass properly. One cannot walk without crawling first.
Well, that's the thing, we can find a master and learn foundations on our own. It's not the easiest route, as was stated over and over, but definitely the most rewarding, for several reasons. One, we really get to pick our own arsenal, because all these sects have some weaknesses that we can avoid by ourselves (some are too focused on fighting in close range and won't be able to take down ranged enemies, there's only so far one can leap even with cheesefest acrobatics); plus, tracking down our own masters andtechniques and convincing them to teach us is half the fun, too. Imagine, using our natural charms and scholarly knowledge to track down rumours, decypher ancient manuscripts and chase down leads on men of ability. Wuxia Indiana-frickin'-Jones, if you will. Two, we get to freeform this shit from the beginning, and I think a guy like Tigerbro
Tiger Adjutant
Powerful, quick, smart and sociable, the Tiger Adjutant is a naturally impulsive character whose hot-headedness has been somewhat tempered by his upbringing so that he won’t mistake his own boundless courage for actual invincibility. He will at least look before he leaps. His strong, confident outlook on life has allowed him to forge ahead despite his horrible luck.
is naturally predisposed to doing things this way. Then, I really don't want to spend a couple of years in a monastery and get even more out-of-touch with the world (we'll be stuck with the same group of people in an enclosed space for years, jockeying and competing for our Master's favor, dealing with their attempts to one-up us. I've been to boot camp, that life sucks ass), which we will
E. You will not join any of the recommended major sects - the woman who participated in the attack was likely from the darker side of the pugilistic world. Exploring on your own could yield better results than seeking out the orthodox sects. You will wander the roads yourself, enjoy your freedom, and see what you can find out on your adventures. It would be more interesting than begging or being stuck on a mountain with stupid rules for a couple of years anyway.
Why do that, when we can go explore the world, meet interesting people (who knows, maybe the Rogue and Farmer are somewhere out there?), make contacts, friends and gain experiences that people from orthodox backgrounds will be lacking, maybe forever. We have this wonderful setting and a character capable of striking out on his own, yet we're sending him off from one master to another. I guess this kinda reminds me of the older Elder Scrolls games in that sense, completely freeform exploration, why trade that away?

We also get the chance to explore the biggest threats to the Prince from the inside, the sects he's sending us to don't have beef with the Palace, in fact their relationship is somewhat cordial; the real enemies will be on the unorthodox side. It'll be much easier to smoke them out from the inside. For that matter, I'm sure this will be the quickest route to gain intel on the assassins (if you're a sect of unorthodox assassins, would you really tell the other doo-gooder sects about yourself?) and the story behind our curse.
By the way, treave, how the hell did Jung actually recover from that woman's strikes? Do we have some Dio-level willpower or was it just our ridiculous STR score?
You'll find out why in the coming updates. Perhaps earlier, perhaps later, depending on where you go. It's nothing to do with willpower or strength, but more to do with your terrible luck.
I must admit, I'm very curious about that, why did the Emperor get his son a servant cursed with terrible luck?
If this does not convince anyone that Jing needs a solid foundation in martial arts before he goes wandering around looking for that psycho Woman-in-Black in the non-orthodox side of the wuxia world.... I don't know what will. Jing needs to be able to at least defend himself or come to defense of someone weaker well enough if he's coming up against higher level foes. Don't go saving people if you can't even kick your foes' ass properly. One cannot walk without crawling first.
Dude, we're not a pushover as it is, we have awesome stats, a stealth skill with huge potential (which treave said can be used for stalking game in the wilds, so we won't die of starvation), sword and fighting skills. By no means a pushover, even if he's young. If we run into bad sorts, we can just hightail it and lose them in the forests, we have Mongoloid stealth skills and they don't.
:troll:
Our shit luck? Tigerbro is the type of guy that hits the dirt, eats shit, grins and soldiers on. Besides,
I think shitty luck will be a factor everywhere, if we let it. Practice an unorthodox technique near the monastery? A rival apprentice spots you and rats you out. Get fitted for a weapon? Get the shittiest one (better yet, a cursed sword :lol: ). Practicing meditation on a post? Turns out it's rotten and falls.

It's impossible to plan for luck and you are absolutely right that we should make it play as little a role as possible. Thing is, we can do that in E too. Rotten luck will be omnipresent, going to a monastery isn't a sham shield against it.
Yeah, I'm arguing for E for the sake of a more entertaining game. It's the first time we don't have to worry about a bunch of pricks from another dimension fucking shit up if we don't dance to their tune. We don't have to really worry about legendary plotters (Except Shulgi, of course. He is everywhere, after all) for a while now and the Palace is cutting us loose. Bros, our leash is off, why hurry to put a new one on? We can always get in good with the orthodox sects through contacts and repentance, real or not. I'm completely with Esquilax on this one
I think that the pro-orthodox and the anti- side are both a little bit guilty of wishful thinking.

I won't feel bad at all if B wins, but going to unorthodox from orthodox will actually be much harder than the other way around. If you start out unorthodox, you are distrusted until you undertake the arduous task of proving otherwise, but if you betray your sect to go train with a bunch of bandits out in the slums, you're traitorous scum and I don't think they'll ever let that shit slide. We might be able to go to another sect in the future if we pay our dues for a decade and leave on really good terms, but Tigranes is off on this point.
treave pretty much confirmed that
Due to your background (your loyalty is ultimately to the Prince), you can opt to leave a sect after picking up their techniques - a farmer, on the other hand, might not be as free. But be warned that this could reduce your reputation with the faction severely, depending on how much you learnt and what relationship you have with their leadership. They usually don't like it if people pop in just to learn their techniques and then scurry off after a year. Could mean you get labelled a technique thief and get a bounty put on your head.

You could also piss them off so much that they expel you, though usually in those circumstances they may attempt to cripple your inner strength as a punishment before throwing you out, so that your martial arts capability will be limited. But the punishment varies depending on just how pissed they are, and how much you've learnt.

There are ways to leave cordially, but usually people don't get to do that before they've spent a good ten or twenty years of their life repaying the master of the sect for taking them in and imparting his skills.(Seriously, fuck that!)

edit: As for the last choice, to wander, it doesn't mean you won't pick up masters and martial arts along the way, but it does mean that your training will be highly unorthodox from the start, and so will your reputation. You will still get as much opportunities to improve yourself as with a major sect, except in a different direction. It would be harder, though, that much I can't deny.
It will be worth it guys, go E.

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Dude, we're not a pushover as it is, we have awesome stats, a stealth skill (which treave said can be used for stalking game in the wilds, so we won't die of starvation), sword and fighting skills. By no means a pushover, even if he's young. If we rn into bad sorts, we can just hightail it and lose them in the forests, we have Mongoloid stealth skills and they don't.

I'm really going to have to clarify this before others start misunderstanding the character's current capabilities and begin to expect wonders no matter which choice is picked.

You have a level one technique that gives you +1 to sneak. All you know now is how to step silently. You don't know how to hunt in the wild, find your way around deep forest, or how to track animals. That's not in the skill description.

You have your sword and unarmed skills at the first rank. You can easily fight off a peasant and perhaps match weak, untalented fighters thanks to your stats, but taking on half a dozen bandits is really another matter.

Not to scare you guys off E though. It's a viable and interesting path - I wouldn't offer it if it isn't, and really there are no bad choices here, each place has its quirks and advantages - but the reason it is viable has utterly nothing to do with the meagre skills you currently possess.

Baltika9

Arcane
You can use B for things like stalking animals (and humans) and not leaving tracks.
That's what I was going off of. I'm not saying we're Bear Grylls, but we're not entirely clueless about sneaking either. It's a very small advantage right now, but it is one with a lot of potential that I would love to see developed.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
You can use B for things like stalking animals (and humans) and not leaving tracks.
That's what I was going off of. I'm not saying we're Bear Grylls, but we're not entirely clueless about sneaking either. It's a very small advantage right now, but it is one with a lot of potential that I would love to see developed.

Potential is the key word here. I'm clarifying the mistaken portrayal of the character as having already reached that level of skill.

Cassidy

Arcane
Wow, only about a dozen of updates and the main character already got almost gangbanged by pigs itt.

:M

E

And specializing in gunpowder later should be considered.

Kipeci

Arcane
Why guns? Probably the only advantage guns have over bows in this setting is that they're easier to learn how to use properly.

Kipeci

Arcane
Our int skill isn't too great. Are we really going to be focusing on traps rather than anything physical?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Hm, it seems we are bogged down once again. Should I now extend voting indefinitely in the hopes that someone might flop, or a person may wander by and break the tie, or do I take the tied choices and roll for victory, leaving it up to chance?

To be honest I'm not too fond of the former, it's a bit too passive and we might be sitting here for days while people flop and in the end get nowhere. But I can see how the latter may make people feel that their choices and arguments were invalidated by mere chance.

Opinions?

Kashmir Slippers

Magister
Just go with it. Flip a coin or something. You are writing it, so whatever is easier for you to do goes.

The Senate is deadlocked and you are the Vice President, if you don't mind my American political analogy.

Esquilax

Arcane
I've decided to flop to B. While I would love to develop the style of no style, I think we need the foundation and structure first. Plus, I really want to get this good shit going. Let's see what the Taoist priests teach us!
Really cool you mentioned Bruce Lee as an example, but you're not giving the whole picture of his free-flowing non-rigid martial philosophy. He studied Wing Chun under the Wing Chun master, Yip Man. (Some of you may recognize it as Ip Man with Donnie Yen as the titular character.) So Bruce didn't not begin his martial arts development as we know it from nothing.

Another example is Jet Li. He was trained in wushu from when he was eight. And he studied under masters as well for several years and he learned several wushu styles and became a master of several styles like Changguan (Northern Longfist Style) and Taijiquan (Supreme ultimate fist), Zuiquan (Drunken fist) etc. He also studied three section staff, straight sword etc. All of which are main weapons in wushu.

If you want another example Donnie Yen - a MMA style martial arts guy - he too learned wushu at a young age for several years and when he got older he studied taekwondo. He spent several years shoring up his martial arts foundation and understanding of martial arts before he went on to learn more styles and developed his own style.

For that matter even Sammo Hung and Jackie Chan had to train many years in the Peking Opera School to learn what they do so well now and they had successfully adapted their style with what they had spent years learning in their youth.

See the pattern here?

Even with heretic hermits, you will still have to give up several years of your life training under him. That's why Shun said that it would be many years before what he has set in motion with Jing will come to fruition. Because it takes at least that long to ingratiate yourself with the sect and the higher ranking members of the sect.

Heretic hermits or not, even they won't teach you immediately the best of their moves. They need to gauge your sincerity in learning the basics before they are willing to teach you the higher level ones. And that could take years too. Heretic hermits are more paranoid than most. Imagine being shunned for so long and suddenly some young kid comes to you and says he wants to be your student, wouldn't you be immediately suspicious why there's someone who wants to learn from you after being ignored for so long. Paranoia makes for bad master.

In sects, usually those who become masters are the lucky ones that get to learn the totally top-secret kungfu of their sects from the outgoing masters. They usu. have several talented apprentices that have trained many many years with them.

Great post, I missed it as I was going through the thread. An interesting tidbit about Donnie Yen: he's a purple belt in BJJ.

As for your point about heretic hermits, another issue isn't even rogue masters, it's that we could be swindled by complete charlatans. Nobody mentioned this point before, but it's important to note that the various pugilistic sects are accredited styles that work, while some random dude might be some McDojo instructor trying to swindle us. He could also be a fucking genius, but it's definitely riskier. There's a quote by Miyamoto Musashi lamenting how shit martial arts instruction could be even in his day, sadly, I can't find it.

Edit: Ah, fuck, disregard. I'm back on E, I think we can develop a style that's greater than the sum of its parts without the politics and sect drama by striking it out on our own - we have the talent to do so. If nobody flops, let's coin flip for it.

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
How would orthodox sects look on us doing the following:
My guess, not kindly.

Depends on whether you're just that strong, or if you have a technique purposely designed to do it. And of course, who you do it to.

Baltika9

Arcane
Wait, there are actual techniques for that? Sweet, I want one.
Edit: I'll go with a coinflip too. Whatever option wins, we're still a fucking Tiger.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I'll have it open for another two hours or so, then I'll roll it.

Reserving this post for the rolling.

1 - 3: Wudang
4 - 6: Mystery Surprise

Last edited:

ScubaV

Prophet
Esquilax, I was going to congratulate you for seeing the light like a true bro. Sadly you have been tempted back to folly. :(

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
You toss the chicken bones in the air to determine where you should go. Upon landing, they shatter. Very ominous. Very ominous indeed.

Clearly that means you should set out alone and unprotected, letting the road take you where it will. Heaven has spoken.

E wins.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom