Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Mild dizziness and nausea. Seeing as level one of the skill is to counteract afflictions of that level, it'd be rather counter-productive.

As for the pills, more or less yes. You'll be taught how to make your own supply, Yao is only holding the antidote for the poison back. There are other ways, as implied in the update, but since you guys went unorthodox dodgy pills it is.

If you stop taking them, your qi will balloon out of control and you'll explode. Metaphorically. But still fatal. Suppressing it will prevent you from learning most neigong while restricting you from higher level qinggong techniques that require more inner strength to pull off. This also applies to fighting techniques. This means unless you find someone who knows how to fix it, you'll be a more 'normal' fighter rather than superhuman. Of course, normal in this setting is still rather insane.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
It's pure awesome though. We can stop taking the pills, just to turn ourself into a walking time-bomb. :yeah:

[EDIT]Aww.. Just metaphorically? Pooh.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Basically, what treave is telling us here, is the "magic finger" technique is useless until we fix our qi, unless we aim to induce dizziness and nausea. +M

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
It could be useful. Like, say, helping women fake pregnancy to swindle people of money. You're an unorthodox guy now. No rules, remember? :lol:

Mild dizziness and nausea. Seeing as level one of the skill is to counteract afflictions of that level, it'd be rather counter-productive.

As for the pills, more or less yes. You'll be taught how to make your own supply, Yao is only holding the antidote for the poison back. There are other ways, as implied in the update, but since you guys went unorthodox dodgy pills it is.

If you stop taking them, your qi will balloon out of control and you'll explode. Metaphorically. But still fatal. Suppressing it will prevent you from learning most neigong while restricting you from higher level qinggong techniques that require more inner strength to pull off. This also applies to fighting techniques. This means unless you find someone who knows how to fix it, you'll be a more 'normal' fighter rather than superhuman. Of course, normal in this setting is still rather insane.
A few more questions, please.

If our luck was the consequence of our unique condition, will suppressing our qi with those pills (or some other way) also affect our luck stat?

Also, are we still immune to the Yuhua Duqing Palm? Or is that gone now that the healer has "cleared our congestion"?

Edit: And one more - is that dizziness and nausea strong and quick acting enough to actually weaken somebody in combat?

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If our qi is in such a state, can we offload some of it on someone everytime it balloons out? Like with the third technique. Might come in handy. :M

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
No, you can consider this a symptom rather than the cause. Luck is luck, I'd think. Of course you're also more liable to mess up with this condition of yours around because more things can go wrong. So in a sense you might be less unlucky if you cure it?

As for the palm, you were never immune. What happens is that you have some measure of resistance to internal energy. The nature of the wild qi inside you will swallow up or disperse outside energy, whether it is meant to heal you or harm you. You're not totally immune though and someone powerful enough could still kill you with a single blow. Miss Black was not even midboss level when you fought her.

Edit: the qi itself is harmful to you, before we even get into the quantity of it. And you don't have enough mastery of neigong to channel lots of qi. And you can't master neigong because the process will kill you.

Yes the dizziness and nausea is acute. Not too strong but distracting. Expect people to whine if you use it in a fight though.

Last edited:

LWC1996

Learned
:? Awww, no one choosing poison needles? Why? It would be so much fun learning this. I mean we went wandering in the world on our own to do all the fun stuff right?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Poisoning people is a tad too much. Also, orthodox or no, it's certainly not straightforward. :rpgcodex:

LWC1996

Learned
Yes, but I think it would be a useful weapon to have in our arsenal, even if we don't use it. No harm learning it, no? I mean think about it. It's quiet and clean. No blood splatter and gore to worry about. Since we've already thrown in our lot with the unorthodox doctor, our standing with the orthodox sect is already in the bad, so might as well embrace it just a little more. No one in the orthodox has to know if we don't say a word that we learned it.

Kipeci

Arcane
I aimed this to be an honorable martial arts guy capable of annihilating the faces of any who challenged him in direct combat. Since the Codex has elected to deny the proper orthodoxy, the most I can do is to throw in the lot with being a relatively righteous close-combat oriented unorthodox guy. Poison is really the only thing on here that directly flies in the face of that, and I figure that we really need an actual combat technique by this point. You guys said that we could 'pick up one later', well, now is later.

Maybe B would be better as a first choice than A for my vision of the character, but treave did say it'd be wise to have some charisma and intelligence for the development of the harem. Hence, AA.

LWC1996

Learned
It's good to try and keep Jing as upright as possible. But you can't avoid killing people. Sooner or later you're going to kill someone. Whether it's by accident, or in a war.

Jester

Arbiter
:? Awww, no one choosing poison needles? Why? It would be so much fun learning this. I mean we went wandering in the world on our own to do all the fun stuff right?
isn't this just how make poison and possibility to apply it to throw weapons and not actually getting point into throwing weapons?

Threave question about that aura skill. It is like getting water into bucket? Since we got some nasty natural energy the severity of effects depends on opponents intake of aura? If we don't take pill for some time does that mean the effect on enemy will be bigger, but we have very limited time to get suppressant before our qi system will be damaged? How long we can hold without suppressant without damage?

Edit. Right vote
AC for now

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
You can hold out for three days before you are beyond saving. But you'll be crippled long before then. Also, to reiterate, you don't know how to channel large amounts of internal energy anywhere, let alone your opponent, and you can't learn how because you don't have enough available internal energy to practice with.

Baltika9

Arcane
Going for BA, there's just something alluring about being a deadly trap master. This will really work well with the Shadow Wolf Step at higher levels, making the forest our arena.

And I just realized what a shame it is that we didn't go for the Goat Adjutant. This would be one colorful company then! :lol:
I'm also for ditching the Doc and going off to find someone capable if teaching us more and better fighting techniques.

Kipeci

Arcane
It's good to try and keep Jing as upright as possible. But you can't avoid killing people. Sooner or later you're going to kill someone. Whether it's by accident, or in a war.

I don't care too much if we end up killing people intentionslly or not, but the proper procedure is to shatter them, not to be a poisoner.

Baltika9

Arcane
Yeah, we have all the skills needed to disable them, I see no need for poisons. Medicines, on the other hand, are useful, especially since we can't heal ourselves with qi.

Kipeci

Arcane
Why does C have so many votes?

We need something beyond the most basic attacks possible, an actual offensive technique. Why are we giving up on that for the ability to make someone's head a bit light and fuzzy-feeling?

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Why does C have so many votes?

We need something beyond the most basic attacks possible, an actual offensive technique. Why are we giving up on that for the ability to make someone's head a bit light and fuzzy-feeling?
Long-term payoff and a possible future counter to our messed up qi.

Kashmir Slippers

Magister
AA

I called it! Not that I don't like what happened (It was a cool twist), we have lost our letter of recommendation and have lost out on a big opportunity to increase our fighting prowess. Herbs are cool and all, but we aren't any better at fighting after all this. Getting in with the sects will be a lot more difficult.

Just think though, if we had only chosen Rabbit-Dragon and went this route we could have been a Rabbit-Dragon Adjutant-Doctor. The shame!

Absinthe

Arcane
Votes:
1. B>A
2. C>B>A

For choice #1, I'm not convinced a better charisma and speech skill will help establish good rapport when looking inside the brothel for someone who believes "all men are manipulative and will deceive you with their silver tongue." (Side note: It is quite possible she won't be the only one who thinks like that over there.) Treave has also suggested that he might develop a slightly manipulative personality if voting A. B also rounds off his perception and endurance to something decent and gives him a skill for traps, so it covers his weak spots. So B it is.

For choice #2, with the stealth technique, being able to induce dizziness and nausea could be a useful way to overcome opponents with his superior agility. Also:

Your internal energy is crippled. Yuhe Finger won't have any real applications in the near future, I just thought it'd be nice to offer the choice. It would be very useful if you ever figure out a way to deal with that mess inside you, so it's a long term choice. But you might find be histter stuff along the way. It's up to you.
Unless the plan is to not fix his ki, C will have the biggest payoff.

BTW: Treave, any info on Cao'er?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
What type of info are you looking for in particular? There'll be some reveals in the next update since the character did just spend the better part of a year with them.

I'm also for ditching the Doc and going off to find someone capable if teaching us more and better fighting techniques.

Cunning plan. So, what do you plan to do about the poison?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
What type of info are you looking for in particular? There'll be some reveals in the next update since the character did just spend the better part of a year with them.

Cunning plan. So, what do you plan to do about the poison?
Ooo, let's kidnap his apprentice in exchange for the cure!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom