Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Baltika9

Arcane
Why does C have so many votes?

We need something beyond the most basic attacks possible, an actual offensive technique. Why are we giving up on that for the ability to make someone's head a bit light and fuzzy-feeling?
Long-term payoff and a possible future counter to our messed up qi.
Dude, the Physician is a master of this technique and he still can't do shit
You can use it on others, but the effect won't rise beyond level one as long as you have your own internal energy issues. Using it on yourself is possible only when you solve those problems too. Remember, Master Yao is adept at this skill, and he can't use it to fix you.
This won't work for us for a long, long while, medicines will be much more useful for us for the predictable future.
What we really need is a bona-fide offensive technique. Going off without one is suicide. We don't even have a sword, for chrissakes. Leave the poison to dishonorable scum, we're an improviser, not a douchebag.

Edit:
Cunning plan. So, what do you plan to do about the poison?
I should have said after our debt is paid off.
Edit 2:
Ooo, let's kidnap his apprentice in exchange for the cure!
Yeah, that won't work, excellent knowledge of needles and pressure points, you know.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Kidnapping or seducing the apprentice for a cure is rather ungrateful as the dude did save your life. I mean, yes, if you want to be a Greek douchebag hero *coughTheseuscough*... If that's the case you might as well get rid of your aversion to poison too and make life easier. :lol:

Not that I won't give you the choice though, if it comes down to it.

Tigranes

Arcane
AA.

Firstly, we need some combat ability by now. We haven't actually won a single contest of combat-related ability in the entire LP.
Secondly, investing in some kind of qi support ability when we're qi-screwed is so patently pointless that I have no idea what is going on here.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Kidnapping or seducing the apprentice for a cure is rather ungrateful as the dude did save your life. I mean, yes, if you want to be a Greek douchebag hero *coughTheseuscough*... If that's the case you might as well get rid of your aversion to poison too and make life easier. :lol:

Not that I won't give you the choice though, if it comes down to it.
Well, it's pretty hard to be grateful to the bloke that saved your life when he's simultaneously made the attempt to take it from you.

Baltika9

Arcane
Baltika9 , you appear to be arguing for BA, but I think your vote was for BC?
Naw, I went for BA. I really, really like that idea: we learn to live off the land with tracking, trapping and our Shadow Wolf step, which keeps us out of trouble with authorities so long as we're not blatantly obvious with it. It turns the forests into our personal arena and it gives us a bonus to herbalism which is good for remedies and healing potions. Our qi being what it is we kinda do need that.
A has it's merits too. There's something to be said about getting into prison and learning from the biggest hardass around. Renegade as fuck, though.
Firstly, we need some combat ability by now. We haven't actually won a single contest of combat-related ability in the entire LP.
Secondly, investing in some kind of qi support ability when we're qi-screwed is so patently pointless that I have no idea what is going on here.
What he said.

Kashmir Slippers

Magister
Yeah, I don't understand why we keep voting the way we do. We created a kickass fighter whose only drawback is his bad luck, and yet we keep making choices that are not combat related. We have good stats, but we don't really know any more about fighting than which end of the sword to hold. We should really be getting competent in a fight before we start trying to branch out.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Well, it's pretty hard to be grateful to the bloke that saved your life when he's simultaneously made the attempt to take it from you.

Unfortunately, there ain't a free lunch in the unorthodox world. Saving people and expecting nothing in return is one of those do-gooder orthodox principles. As it happens he's smart enough not to trust some kid based off words alone either.

Then again, if we had better luck we could have been picked up by the Divine Physician rather than the Killer Physician. Less strings attached and all.

Kipeci

Arcane
Not sure how A will land us in prison.

I would go for B1, but treave said that for a harem ending we would need high speech, charisma, and intelligence, exactly what A gives.

We still get the sneaking, just slightly less herbalism, endurance, and perception, but we decided not to go for Dog Adjutant a long while back.

Baltika9

Arcane
I would go for B1, but treave said that for a harem ending we would need high speech, charisma, and intelligence, exactly what A gives.
Tsundere is the only way. :salute:
I'm not saying A will land us in prison. I'm saying that it would be neat to learn from the hardest convicts in China. We don't have to be a douche because of that, but we can still take the knowledge. Probably not gonna happen, but still.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Tsundere is the only way. :salute:
I'm not saying A will land us in prison. I'm saying that it would be neat to learn from the hardest convicts in China. We don't have to be a douche because of that, but we can still take the knowledge. Probably not gonna happen, though.

Convicts tend to be there because they're not powerful enough to break out of prison. Just saying.

You expect to find a powerful master in a jail you can get to by pickpocketing?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Unfortunately, there ain't a free lunch in the unorthodox world. Saving people and expecting nothing in return is one of those do-gooder orthodox principles. As it happens he's smart enough not to trust some kid based off words alone either.

Then again, if we had better luck we could have been picked up by the Divine Physician rather than the Killer Physician. Less strings attached and all.
The funny thing being that Tigerbro might have actually worked to repay the debt even without a bind like this. But then that's just our luck, innit?

Baltika9

Arcane
Like I said, it's a pipe dream.
Much less lulz too.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Jing's already more experienced with his pressure points skill than with any weapon. Couple this with magically nausea-inducing fingers and you have an instant ice-breaker at parties. :thumbsup:

No, seriously, we plan on un-messing-up that qi later, if given the chance, no? Once we get to that point, the Yuhe finger thing would be absolutely smashing.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Wow, we are off to one hell of a start. Not a week had passed since our exile, and we've already had our first taste of rape, pillage and murder; lost our pass to the Jedi Academy; jumped off a cliff; and finally found ourselves a lone old master, who is also completely deranged.

We are going to have a Dwarven Fortress level, MAXIMUM FUUUUUN kind of fun.

This update was everything I was hoping for, and then some. The first choice is a no-brainer for me.

Intelligence - because we need to learn not to travel with lightly guarded caravans
Charisma - because I am fascinated by the prospect of a Harem ending
Speech - because I am not fascinated by the prospect of a Nice Boat ending
Sleight-of-hand - because one of the things I loved in Fallout 2 was that you only need to pay once to get yourself a lifelong admission to the brothel.
Sneak - just because.

In other news, Cao’er is cute. HNNNNNG. :love:

On a more serious note, it does not take a rocket scientist to guess that the girl is your ticket - or at least one of the possible tickets - out of here. She is the Doc's heiress, and the old nut will pass his secrets to her eventually, including the one that holds the key to your freedom. And she is clearly into you, not the least because you are the only boy her age around here. So, unless you fancy yourself romancing her into giving you the antidote and then ditching a hapless kid who doesn't know any better afterwards (and I don't), you might as well prepare yourself for a long talk of why it would be better for you both if she would let you go. That means we'll probably need Charisma and Speech sooner, rather than later.

I am torn between A and C for the second choice. The possibilities that the Healing Finger allows are tempting. However, we desperately need a power boost now, and Grass Breaking Legs technique is too good to pass. It will save your life when your hands are tied, literally or metaphorically. For all we know, had you learned that skill before, it might have been the bandit leader that would find himself at the bottom of a cliff.

No poisons. The kid is on drugs as it is, let's keep him away from further unhealthy practices.

AA.

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
The funny thing being that Tigerbro might have actually worked to repay the debt even without a bind like this. But then that's just our luck, innit?

I doubt that. Doubly so if the choice is offered. Because :rpgcodex:

Like I said, it's a pipe dream.Much less lulz too.

There are better dreams to have. Like becoming the Master of Yuhua Hall with your pimp-fu.

Baltika9

Arcane
Harem? Heresy, I say! Embrace the tsundere, become the Khan. And then, the Khagan!
We have the stats, we have the balls all we need is the desire!
...and learning how to ride horses.

As for our debt, I say we should repay it honorably. Despite the circumstances, we are still a :obviously: gentleman.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Harem? Heresy, I say! Embrace the tsundere, become the Khan. And then, the Khagan!
That's the plan. Tsundere will be our wife, we promised that much to the heavens. But even the khan has concubines, you know.

...and learning how to ride horses.
We know how to ride them. It's keeping them alive part that we are slightly uncertain about.

As for our debt, I say we should repay it honorably.
The Doc might not free us at all. Or free us in twenty years. While I would not (and probably could not) harm him to get out of his grasp, I would not trust him to have a change of heart either.

Point is, we still might want the girl's help in the matter, but I would prefer to be honest about it and not trick her with words we didn't mean.

Baltika9

Arcane
Exactly, I'm against toying with people's feelings, better to be upfront about it.
I think we'll be able to persuafe her with either A and B, she has a heart and decency, as evidenced by asking her master to save a total stranger, and she has poor social skills, so 6 CHA and 1 speech should be enogh.
1B is just an awesome opportunity to make him a terror in combat. Perception and endurance bonuses will make our already strong build retardedly powerful.

Esquilax

Arcane
treave, does the Traps skill allow us to detect traps as well as set up our own? I would assume such a skill would be useful to counter any attempts to trap us, as well as any attempts to use traps. Personally, I'd rather avoid using traps - our guy might be a renegade, but he's more than capable in straight-up combat. The trap skill seems a better fit for us defensively than it does offensively. Also, I think I messed up the reading comprehension: we can't raise our neigong as long as we're poisoned, or as long as the chaotic internal energy within our body persists? I'm not quite sure which of these is the cause of our inability to raise our Inner Strength skill.

Pressure Points
The ability to observe and determine the various points on a body that, when struck, causes a variety of effects, from laughing to paralysis to death. (PER)

My impression of Master Yao's skills is that his speciality is clearly in pressure points. If we could utilize the precision of his style in conjunction with our character's naturally great strength and speed, it would be perfect. My point here is that we must be aware of where our Master's skills lie, and how we can mould what they teach us to fit into our own developing style. So, we've got the most brilliant killer Doctor in all the land as our instructor:

However, you cannot deny that his skills are bordering on the realm of the divine; he makes even the most reputable Imperial doctor look like a quack in comparison.

The good Doc is the best at what he does, no doubt about it. treave suggested the possibility that we might find better techniques than this along the way, but I am doubtful: Yao is just so good at what he does, that I am not sure if we can find something like this along the way. Given that he's quite possibly the most skilled physician in the world, I think we would be fools to pass up his Healing Finger technique given our chaotic qi.

I'm aware of the drawbacks here: this would be the second time that we've passed up on a combat technique. Believe me, it sucks, I know: I voted for the Wolf's Fist technique when we had the opportunity to do so before. However, this is the sort of thing that the doc is best at.

I suppose one alternative would be to find Yao's old master, who is probably a more orthodox martial artist, though I could be wrong:

A physician's hands are to cure, not to kill. So said Master Yao's own master, though Yao doesn't seem to abide by that maxim.

I suppose this guy - assuming he's alive - would know of a technique to put us on the path toward fixing our internal energy, but who knows where he is?

I'm against going for the poison technique: too underhanded, and our guy has all the tools to fight his enemies in direct combat. I'm hoping for a rebellious martial artist with morals, so I'm not a fan of the poison.

As for what stats to raise, I see the benefits of both, but I believe that shoring up our endurance and perception will be more important if we have no offensive combat techniques at the moment. Though improving our already pretty good INT and CHA is good too.

BC

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom