Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I'm not giving any confirmation on what would have been, but you would also have a permanent stat hit there.

In the end I considered both options to be of equal worth in terms of advantages and disadvantages. So this path isn't as bad as it seems, and the road not taken isn't as good as you might think it is.

Esquilax

Arcane
Bros, I believe that this has been a cautionary tale on the dangers inherent in pressing the AWESOME button.

You came all the way here and freed me to ask me this? Men are so foolish. I will tell you if you desire to know that much… I certainly do not owe them anything but hatred. I received my mission from the Hei brothers of the Black Dragon Society… that was back when I was still useful to them. Take it up with them if you want to know who gave them the orders, though it was probably either the Lady Wu or Grand Eunuch Li.

Wow, another interesting note is that in the solo assassination update, they had thought that we were sent by Grand Eunuch Li! There's a possibility that we would have had deep-cover inside their group. I'm not saying 100% that this is the case, but it's possible that we could have infiltrated the ranks of Shun's enemies.

Honestly, the perception hit isn't bad. As the great Yoriwaka has shown us, you don't need eyes to have sharp perception of the world around you. Our combat skills relied more on our strength and agility anyways.

Oh well, let's move on. What choice to pick...

Baltika9

Arcane
Oh, wasn't saying it would be better, it was obvious that going through would put us in the middle of Suckville, Prison. But oh well, losing an eye at least makes us look badass, soon we'll be like Darth Sion:
Darth_Sion_Glory.jpg

In other words, awesome. Uh, minus the Kreia-dependancy syndrome.

Baltika9

Arcane
Sorry bro, we skipped the path of the Master Criminal with the rollback, and I really can't be arsed to work for Du Yao anymore right now, even if he is a MANORBRO that's on the level, with a hot daughter. In fact, fuck sight. If Yorikawa can fight blind, then we can too! Poke our other eye out! Dio could do it.
Are we less hardcore than Dio?
:rpgcodex:

Anyway, about the update: if we were in no shape to do risky stealth missions before,, we definitely are in no shape to do so now, so going along with Changfeng is probably out of the question. If we want to kip our friendship with Yu and not betray one of the very few friends we have, he will view it as a betrayal, then we have to fight Changfeng and hope Yunzi will help us out, if only buy subduing her little helper and preventing any smokebomb nonsense. The crazy bat is starved, cold and exhausted so we do, in fact, have a chance.

Barring that, we'll have to let her go. A.

Last edited:

Jester

Arbiter
Personally, I don't mind savescumming in some cases. But here the bad result was simply caused by stupid decisions, not the roll of a die or the whim of some RNG, and as such, I would have preferred we stuck with it. How is the Codex going to learn otherwise?
We really should've gone with the Goat Doctor. Max int to let treave think of a way out for us, since we don't have the "trolololo, I'm immortal, you can't keep me down" schtick Ean had, or the brilliant strategist/analytical mind of Senya.
Dex is like IC divided in fractions.
I see YOLOists, reasonable people, lulz squadist, power gamers, story and lore fags, Brofront, schemers, strategists, Khanthist, Trolltigerists, Haremists, perfectionists, heroes, loyalists, pretenders, badass wannabes, risk addicts and lots more concepts i dont remember.
From this perspective it looks like most votes are based on whim rather thinking through the implications of choice, hell we probably get through first half of tournament because the most lulzy options were correct ones, Gou Fu fight had implications of reward / bro feel and our comrades. After getting our ass handed in BDS and losing our ticket to main plot, rare drop etc for basically nothing other than neigong heal, we went Wu route for meta gaming and we are supermen so screw injuries, followed by death when trying to make most of situation. Codex just don't learn.
Good plan attempting to get leverage had been screwed by lack of lore/imagination that this place was Las Vegas rather than normal city. I expect screwup no mater how many times we rewind. Dex gonna Dex.

Read the update.
Hmm Jing is a magnet for unlucky thing like killing arrow etc. Wonder if that was there in beginning, kinda like it better knowing what it would normally hit. Wonder if gods will be pissed on us for screwing with fate, or how will Treave handle rewind mechanics this time. Ingenuity of his solutions after some tinkering with them are valuable to watch. Hell his mention about that was main reason i preferred re roll.

D) let her go asking our bro to go with her, after that Emei.

asxetos

Augur
It looks like Gao Ying might actually be working for Shun or did i get that wrong?
Treave did a good job to dissuade us from future rollbacks by poking our eye out btw, we had that coming.

I want to suggest an option that we ask Changfeng to come with us to Emei first to get healed, and then we help her with Youxia City.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
You're going to have to convince her by force. She's just fatigued from imprisonment, not suffering from multiple internal injuries like you are - a week or so with proper food and rest and she'll be recovering quickly.

Esquilax

Arcane
I want to suggest an option that we ask Changfeng to come with us to Emei first to get healed, and then we help her with Youxia City.

Does Chanfeng seem like a reasonable person to you? She's never going to go for it. She wants to head to Youxia City now.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I don't think you guys want to go anywhere but Emei at this point? But yeah, A gives you the chance of her going along with you, B gives you the chance of Yu running off to follow her.

Anabanana

Augur
:decline:

I hate this outcome! You're all stupid idiots! Fuck you all! I'm leaving this CYOA and never coming back, I bet you'll totally kill Jing while I'm away this time! HMPH! *stalks off*

*comes back* (I vote B.)

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
asxetox said:
Treave did a good job to dissuade us from future rollbacks by poking our eye out btw, we had that coming.
Let's see, we have another eye, a nose, two ears and a full set of limbs. We still have some room to maneuver.

asxetos

Augur
Does Chanfeng seem like a reasonable person to you? She's never going to go for it. She wants to head to Youxia City now.

She doesnt seem reasonable, no, but if she gets some rest she might come to her senses. We have some meta-knowledge on Youxia City and we know she is going to be in deep shit, along with scholar-bro who is definately going to run after her.

Jester

Arbiter
Wait a sec, didnt we have 6 perception before to 8 with tech?
Poke the eye for 2 pen?
One temporally cos Jing is getting used to this?

Baltika9

Arcane
treave, if we'll let Changfeng go, will it be possible to give her a soul-crushing speech on how she's completely retarded and unworthy of Yu's love and the effort he put into rescuing her, so, fine, she can go but she'd better not come back and wreck our brother's heart like the Grand Eunuch and his nephew wrecked hers.

Basically, make her hate herself. Is 5/bordering on 6 speech enough for that?

Tigranes

Arcane
Esquilax, settle down. I doubt anyone thought the rollback would have us in tip top shape, I picked it becuase I didn't want to lose the story threads we've built up over the months, not because I feared the 'stat losses' and all. You're also wildly exaggerating if you think the consequences to our capture would not have been similarly debilitating. You can disagree, but can we agree that now we have reloaded, it's better to stop arguing about this, move on, take what we have as canon, and start arguing about what Jing should do instead?

Anyway, yes, I'm pretty sure we are now One-Eyed Jing. We will have to see what effect that has on the development of our fighting style.

I agree with Baltika9 that going again to Youxia City is likely to be unwise, though in this case we are arguably better equipped for it.

Tigranes

Arcane
Oh, and yes, B for now, because even if we do beat Changfeng up chances are she will just flee the next chance she gets.

asxetos

Augur
Voting A > B.
I think C is a really REALLY bad idea.

I prefer A because, if it works, we get to keep scholarbro in the party, while i am pretty sure he will go with Changfeng in B.

Baltika9

Arcane
Drat, it was worth a try.
I agree with Baltika9 that going again to Youxia City is likely to be unwise, though in this case we are arguably better equipped for it.
I dunno man, Yunzi is still going off to the Fire Cult like she did last time, Yu is paralyzed and we don't know if the little girl will want to leave Yunzi's side. Changfeng wants to go now.
So it's going to be us, One-eyed Jing with 3 PER, 5 STR, 5 AGI and no neiggong, with with Liu Changfeng, who is starved and ragged from her imprisonment.

Baltika9

Arcane
Oh, and yes, B for now, because even if we do beat Changfeng up chances are she will just flee the next chance she gets.
That's not what matters, if we defeat her we can just tie her down (we are the perverted demon-toad, after all) and wait for Yu to get up. The fight is for his sake, and his sake alone. No, if we defeat her, I sincerely doubt we will give her an opportunity to escape. Jing lost some of his PER, not INT.

Esquilax

Arcane
Esquilax, settle down. I doubt anyone thought the rollback would have us in tip top shape, I picked it becuase I didn't want to lose the story threads we've built up over the months, not because I feared the 'stat losses' and all. You're also wildly exaggerating if you think the consequences to our capture would not have been similarly debilitating. You can disagree, but can we agree that now we have reloaded, it's better to stop arguing about this, move on, take what we have as canon, and start arguing about what Jing should do instead?

Anyway, yes, I'm pretty sure we are now One-Eyed Jing. We will have to see what effect that has on the development of our fighting style.

Oh, I never said otherwise. I'm actually glad that we took our lumps either way, and I was exaggerating a bit for comedy's sake (it's sort of hard to convey through the screen). Anyways, I'm not that upset about the stat hit because I think that if Yoriwaka can navigate around the world completely blind, so can Jing. Plus it gives us a reason to wear a badass eyepatch. But there definitely were a lot of people who thought that we'd get the same update that we would have otherwise, no question about that. We were going to get our asses beat, one way or another.

We lost an eye for Yu, we bought his way out of Yuhua Hall, we've been honest with him about our past, we've even taken up a ghost sidequest with him. If he leaves us for this bitch, it is he who is UNBRO, not Jing. We've been taking one for the team since we left the tournament, he fucking owes it to us to help us out for a little while. Loyalty goes both ways.

A

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom