Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Random Word

Arbiter
MCA Project: Eternity
C->D

Last edited:

Fangshi

Arcane
D.

Not much to say really. This is a battle not a martial arts tournament, if they don't realize that then we owe it to them to teach this lesson. ;)

If we wanted glory we would have gone with B, if we wanted attention harem we would have gone with A, if we wanted to end the battle then C was the choice, the only reason to pick D was to save these girls so let's save them and do it as quickly and painlessly as possible.

Tigranes

Arcane
Guys, let's focus on (1) the fight ahead of us, not the rest of the battle - we chose to ignore the hottest women and the strongest guys on the battlefield for some unknown reason I still don't understand, but now we're here we need to make sure at least we solve this corner of the battlefield right. Especially since we're apparently performing a totally antagonistic Jing that is seemingly there to beat on orthodoxes.

I'd choose A if it were A or B, but the weakness of both is that whoever we beat, the other will still say that we haven't beaten them and so Jing's superiority over the Kunlun & Taishan are not proven. (You may have beat Su, but you haven't beaten the Youths, vice versa.) We could beat both one after the other, but I expect that will be quite a challenge.

So C would deliver the most comprehensive victory re. Zhang's challenge, but can we do it? One possibility is that the organised formation of the Taishan will not cooperate so well with Su from a foreign sect, assuming they aren't super buddy buddy and always train together or something, allowing Jing to pay the two groups off each other. D I am sure would have partial success, but our opponents are already on guard, they were always suspicious of us and are not still standing there thinking 'how could Jing do this', and the sheer number of opponents mean I doubt we can take more than one or two youths out, at most. I'm not sure it's worth it - it would be if it would debilitate them critically.

One important factor here, I feel, is Su. The Seven are brash "OMG fuck you Jing gonna pound you now" mode. Su in fact attempted to reason with us and remains calm - he is fighting us out of necessity not out of anger. treave I suppose that's what we, uh all you bastards who voted D2A, get, but I didn't expect us to deliberately obfuscate our reasons to appear even more antagonistic. Is it a *possibility* that we could vote B, then beat down the youth, then try and speak with Su more reasonably saying we want the battle not to get out of hand, minimise casualties, etc. and it seems counterproductive for us to duke it out till the end?

B for now, in that spirit.

Tribute

Arbiter
Jing doesn't exactly have a history of explaining his motivations straight-up to anyone he wouldn't trust with his life.

Fangshi

Arcane
See I am just not sure about A or B.

This is an actual battle, people are dying around us and we want to hold some sort of fair fight and negotiate?

Su and the brothers are convinced that these people are criminals and have to die. I just do not see us talking them down here. Maybe we can send them some flowers and a nice card as they recover in a monastery somewhere after the beating we will give them? Seriously though I would not be adverse to explaining our reasons to Su if the opportunity arises later but now is not really the time.

I think both sides know where the other stands, knowing motivations won't help matters, they have a job to do (which they believe is absolutely necessary) and we are simply not going to let them massacre these people. There is nothing left to discuss, we should take advantage of their naivety to drop a few of them and make this an easier fight to win. We are not just fighting for ourselves right now we also have a responsibility to those twelve girls we have decided to protect.

Baltika9

Arcane
I don't mind the discuss, but a few times it has been a bother to read through, like the discuss before this update. I think it was a bother because the discuss was going in circles for pages without reaching any consensus.
Unavoidable in a large and freeform choice like that, a lot of options, a lot of people and a lot of misunderstandings. :lol:
As far as they are concerned, there are no civilians here, only foreign enemy combatants that can and have stabbed your side in the back before this.
Oh, I understand how this happens. Bloodlust and lack of leadership to put a stop to it. It's not like this kind of shit doesn't happen all the time in the real world. It's just that that isn't an excuse for this kind of behaviour.
And the best part, by far, is that the same elders that are supposed to be the leaders are the guys "setting the example." Truly, the UNBRO schools are UNBRO to the core.

And the best part, by far, is that the same elders that are supposed to be the leaders are the guys "setting the example." Truly, the UNBRO schools are UNBRO to the core.
Well to be fair towards them, I doubt even they would approve of this. They are probably just too busy being buried under rocks to do anything about it. I mean, instead of helping their leader that is hard pressed, or their comrade that is single-handedly holding the entire opposing fighting force or even attempting to capture Yunzi to force surrender, these jokers decide to go after a bunch of frightened girls trying to run away. Morality of the situation aside, that's just stupid.

Baltika9

Arcane
Well to be fair towards them, I doubt even they would approve of this. They are probably just too busy being buried under rocks to do anything about it.
This shit had to have come from somewhere, and since the Sect Heads are supposed to be setting the standard for the rest of their sects to follow, I have a pretty good idea where it came from.

Absinthe

Arcane
Voting C>D.

They have no defense against the Wuying Leipo Kick or our silk technique. I like D because this is no longer a gentlemen's fight but a battlefield, and fuck their stupid notions of honorable combat where Jing gentlemanly allows himself to face a 7 on 1 formation; however, C accomplishes more on the ZJ challenge, is better for our rep, and rubs it into their faces that they're no good. According to treave D is not going save us any noticeable amount of time over C (and these are the quickest options), so I pick C.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
C and D accomplish the very same thing, except that we can actually do D, unlike C, where we are going against 8 men that - cumulatively - are twice as strong as we are. All of this at a cost of a reputation hit.

The amount of time is probably irrelevant at all. Whad do we need time for?

Absinthe

Arcane
It's a battlefield. We're hoping to make a difference in more than one place.

We can still win a 8 on 1 formation. Jing has a LOT of experience against multiple opponent sword formations, and they have NO experience against our Wuying Leipo Kick or our Ruanhong Zhusuo. We're also better than they are.

Baltika9

Arcane
It's a battlefield. We're hoping to make a difference in more than one place.
Exactly. So why waste our energy and risk serious injury when we have other shit to do? Your opinion on this challenge of theirs mirrors my own, but LORD Zhang approves of D, Taishan and Kunlun are really below us so we get no prestige for smacking them down and if they want to BAAAAW about getting csught by surprise on a battlefield, then they can go ahead.

Also, less risk of killing them that way and making Shagguan sad.

Nevill

Arcane
Speculation. How do you know?
Kunlun disciple is almost as strong as Yunzi, and Taishan guys... well, I just follow the pattern. We never fought them, but seven of them are mentioned in the same breath as Wu brothers and Nie Twins, and those are just as strong as we are.

We are not making the difference in the flow of battle here.
For this set of options, focus on the difficulty of the fight, the risk to yourself, whether it is worth the extra challenge to build your reputation more, etc.

Put all other thoughts about the battle aside so that we can cut down on the DISCUSS?
Whatever options we choose, they do NOT have an effect of the tide of battle. There is no use arguing this point.

Absinthe

Arcane
On that front Nevill, I still prefer C. On the one hand I hear Baltika say that ZJ likes D because they are beneath us then on the other hand you say they would be a worthy challenge. In that case, I think ZJ prefers C.

If we defeat these eight right here, not only do we prove we're one of the strongest of our generation, but we also preserve rep with their sects, and since we're interested in what they've got, we may as well do it. I think that's worth the risk. And as I said, Jing has had a lot of practice against sword formations. They have no practice against our new techs.

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
How are 'we'interested in what they've got. Taishan are great at foghti g in formations, not our cup of tea, and Taishan are alchemists. Can't get better than Yao there.

Nevill

Arcane
What matters for the challenge really isn't so much as merely defeating everyone, but making them (and the court of public opinion) acknowledge you're their better. The latter is the more important part. Fighting is of course the simplest way, but not always the only way.

Anyway, with regards to Taishan (and the other sects) you would have to defeat them at their best for them to acknowledge defeat. That would mean taking on the full seven-man formation by yourself since that's what they are known for. Of course, it's a start if you dismantle their four-man formation solo in full view of everyone else. Even if they don't admit defeat yet, you'll begin to sway public opinion towards you being better.
treave, can you clarify this point?

On one hand, you said that Zhang would not mind D as a method of winning, and that killing Song Lingshu in her sleep counted towards the challenge. On the other hand, we have this quote. If we defeat them 'unfairly' (and without experiencing their formation, too), the public opinion is not going to accept our victory as a solid one, and the disciples themselves will likely view it as cheating, or, at least, as dishonorable. So, which one is it?

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
But what of theirs are we interested in so much that their opinion of us outweighs our energy and effectiveness on the field of battle?
I'm seripus: Yao and Cao'er are better at medicine and herbalism, Shun can get us all the formation practice we want and get us the best astrologers from around the nation if we need.

Nevill

Arcane
You say on the one hand that ZJ prefers D because they are beneath us
Wat.

Quote, please.

If we defeat these eight right here
I am saying that we can't. We are not at that level yet. Not without crippling them by disabling their ace trick with formations.

Bai Jiutian is at least as strong as 4/3 Jings, and these guys, I believe, are close to 2 Jings. No way we can beat them cleanly.

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
treave, can you clarify this point?

On one hand, you said that Zhang would not mind D as a method of winning, and that killing Song Lingshu in her sleep counted towards the challenge. On the other hand, we have this quote. If we defeat them 'unfairly', the public opinion is not going to accept our victory as a solid one, and the disciples themselves will likely view it as cheating, or, at least, as dishonorable. So, which one is it?
So what if they baaaaw? We'll be more than happy to beat them down again after this battle is over.

Nevill

Arcane
So what if they baaaaw? We'll be more than happy to beat them down again after this battle is over.
Hey, I don't care. I just want to understand if this would be enough to cross them out from our list or not.
They will be asking for a rematch either way.

Last edited:

Rex Feral

Prophet
If we go with D we probably incapacitate 3 of them at best, and continue fighting the Kunlun guy and a 4 man formation of Taishan. We deny the Taishan the advantage of using their favorite tactic, which they believe will kick our ass on its own, at the loss of reputation point (we probably go from -35 to -50)

If we go with C we will fight a 7 man formation and Su Liaojing. Which is pretty tough since both of them seem a about 3/4 of Jing's power level. And we fight them on their own terms.

Since the choices seem to be balanced, in the best case scenario, I think D will grant us victory at the cost of reputation and unorthodox points while C will grant us victory at the cost of an injury or two.

In the worst case scenario, D will grant us victory at the cost of reputation and an injury while C will bring us defeat.

Nevill

Arcane
Pretty much. We have to be realistic about are chances here.

A is the easiest of the fights, B is the tougher one, C is stupidly overconfident, and D may be tougher than B, but still in the realms of possibility, since it disables Taishan's greatest weapon outright.

Do we still have silk, or we used it all to fight the senior disciples? I remember we dropped it on the ground with the staves.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom