Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

kazgar

Arcane
C is the greatest chance of winning the battle, but losing the war.

There's too many unknowns at stake, what if we got C and the fire cult youngen's decide to help out thus invalidating it. What if Zhang shows up, what it Sword Saint shows up, what if one of the other fights changes dramatically, the last thing on anyone's mind will be a rules based pseudo tournament battle.

What's will be the cost (and there will be a cost) of winning formally here, and how will it effect the next option which I will assume will be doing the same battle in the same valley.

Fangshi

Arcane
Goddamn, now I'm definitely tempted towards doing some YOLOTIGERing. It seems to be the only way to absolve ourselves of the shame of not fighting BJ/Vahista and/or capturing maidens.

Fuck it, C, this is madness, but now I'm hooked. Guys, please tell me that this is retarded, so that I can flop back.

And what if we win and break an arm or something? How are we going to beat BJ if we get injured yet again?

You want to be the best then save it for the title fight. Don't get into the equivalent of a barroom brawl with these assholes and risk getting injured.

There are also the girls to worry about. You are right we should be tying up maidens right now or in the main event fight but we chose to play the hero.

If we get injured fighting these guys then who will protect the girls? We have people to worry about right now, we can not just go all YOLO because we feel like it. Damn it Codex commit to a path here, if we wanted glory than B was the clear choice to take.

We passed up on it, there will be other chances to do something stupid let's avoid it this one time please.

Absinthe

Arcane
C is the greatest chance of winning the battle, but losing the war.
If we beat up these eight, I'm pretty sure we're massively improving the odds. The rest are mostly cannon fodder and we still have Cao'er and Chi Qilin to help out with the fight. If it gets too dangerous, then the Sword Saint will likely jump in and put an end to the madness. Also, treave said not to worry about the whole "war" and just focus on this battle. I'm not worried about down the road stuff. Disaster cannot happen because the Sword Saint won't really allow it. If Zhang Jue shows up and we put in a fine effort like this, I think he would approve of our balls and let it go our way for once.

And what if we win and break an arm or something? How are we going to beat BJ if we get injured yet again?
That time we had 3 months and healed in time. This time we have 6 months and Cao'er and Chi Qilin (who is also skilled in herbalism) are both with us. Even if we break an arm, it will heal fast enough with their assistance. We can challenge Bai Jiutian later. Don't worry about it.

Dude, vote C. You heard treave.

Also, guys, if we vote C we will probably get +1 Swords. These are definitely the right enemies to face to get a +1 to Sword skill. Are you going to pass up on that?

Absinthe

Arcane
And if we don't, our role in the battle has been for naught, and C is the most difficult option.
It's well within our means. Xu Jing has a huge amount of experience against the Guihe formation of Emei, so the Taishan formation will be manageable for us too. But their formation has no defenses against Ruanhong Zhusuo (Wudu silk) or Wuying Leipo I bet. We all know we're going to win this. The only question is how much damage we'll suffer for it, but we have a lot of backup and we have some brilliant healers with us, so we'll recover.

Fangshi

Arcane
Absinthe said:
That time we had 3 months and healed in time. This time we have 6 months and Cao'er and Chi Qilin (who is also skilled in herbalism) are both with us. Even if we break an arm, it will heal fast enough with their assistance. We can challenge Bai Jiutian later. Don't worry about it.

And that is three more months we spend just trying to get back to form. Three months BJ will spend getting better. Injuries represent a loss of opportunities, we will be recovering instead of doing cool stuff, that is the way it works.

There is also the question of the girls we are protecting. We win one fight and it draws these eight to us. If we beat them who knows what happens next? We may still need to be in good condition to flee or to fight. We chose to go with D and as a result priority number one should be getting these girls to safety everything else is very much secondary to that goal. It may not be as much fun but it is the goal we set for ourselves.

Absinthe

Arcane
And that is three more months we spend just trying to get back to form. Three months BJ will spend getting better. Injuries represent a loss of opportunities, we will be recovering instead of doing cool stuff, that is the way it works.
We also got Reikan and Kagemi out of that, plus a +2 to Scholarly Knowledge with Xiahou Yu. Don't sell short the benefits. You call it opportunities that we lose, but it also creates its own rewards and we still have opportunities to learn other things. If you want to improve martial technique, then vote C because this is definitely one of those experiences that will improve our martial skills. These are all very high skilled opponents. At the very least, I am guessing we will have a +1 to Swords for facing this. I doubt we will have other opportunities for that, and if you want to be prepared vs. Bai Jiutian, you should really boost Swords.

There is also the question of the girls we are protecting. We win one fight and it draws these eight to us. If we beat them who knows what happens next? We may still need to be in good condition to flee or to fight. We chose to go with D and as a result priority number one should be getting these girls to safety everything else is very much secondary to that goal. It may not be as much fun but it is the goal we set for ourselves.
Even if we were somehow too injured to fight after that, we still have Cao'er and Qilin to watch our backs, which they would, without a doubt. I'm not worried about their abilities to handle cannon fodder. It's not a concern. Besides, shit can't hit the fan while the Sword Saint is watching us. He would intervene if the situation got that dangerous.

Esquilax

Arcane
+1 SWORDS +1 SWORDS +1 SWORDS +1 SWORDS +1 SWORDS +1 SWORDS +1 SWORDS +1 SWORDS +1 SWORDS +1 SWORDS +1 SWORDS +1 SWORDS +1 SWORDS +1 SWORDS +1 SWORDS +1 SWORDS +1 SWORDS +1 SWORDS +1 SWORDS +1 SWORDS +1 SWORDS +1 SWORDS +1 SWORDS +1 SWORDS +1 SWORDS +1 SWORDS +1 SWORDS +1 SWORDS +1 SWORDS +1 SWORDS +1 SWORDS +1 SWORDS +1 SWORDS +1 +1 SWORDS +1 SWORDS +1 SWORDS +1 SWORDS +1 SWORDS

Absinthe

Arcane
:lol:

Well, what's your take on it? Definitely Taishan 7 and Su Liaojing are highly competent with the sword. Short of fighting Bai Jiutian (who we want to prepare against), we're probably not going to find any better opponents of our generation in the jianghu for this. For our Sword skill of 5, they seem good enough to raise it to 6.

kazgar

Arcane
So not only do you want to take the most difficult route, you want to use our weaker swords skills instead of our naturally better unarmed which also has more linked abilities.

Limb loss imminent, make up for not losing a arm in the cavern, for a total of +1 swords!

Absinthe

Arcane
So not only do you want to take the most difficult route, you want to use our weaker swords skills instead of our naturally better unarmed which also has more linked abilities.
Where the hell did you get that from? Of course we will be using unarmed. But there is no denying that we will also be fending off some of their blows with our sword (Jing cannot into bare-handed blocks yet).

Limb loss imminent, make up for not losing a arm in the cavern, for a total of +1 swords!
Bullshit. That's just not going to happen with a C vote. Injuries? Sure. Crippling injuries? Maybe. Permanent stat damage? I doubt that. We have too much of an upper hand here.

Also, we get more than +1 Swords out of this. We also get a huge rep boost and help fulfill the terms of Zhang's challenge. He will not punish us if we go D, but it will progress his goal if we take C. As treave said, "Zhang has an 'aim for the top or die trying' outlook for you." Besides, we need more sword skill to take on Bai Jiutian.

Cripes. Vote C.

Last edited:

Anabanana

Augur
Okay, so let's assume that Yunzi's slightly weaker than us, the last time we fought her. The Kunlun guy is slightly weaker than Yunzi. We've also gotten noticeably stronger since then, but the others have also been improving, presumably.

Now, there's the formation to face. It's their strongest trick, and they're significantly stronger than the mooks we singlehandedly defeated, but can we bank on them and the Kunlun guy getting in each other's way and thus curbing the effectiveness of their formation?

Absinthe

Arcane
Now, there's the formation to face. It's their strongest trick, and they're significantly stronger than the mooks we singlehandedly defeated, but can we bank on them and the Kunlun guy getting in each other's way and thus curbing the effectiveness of their formation?
Quite possibly, since he's not a member of the Taishan 7 but would still get caught inside the fight. Plus we have new misdirection skills and we thrive at taking advantage of the chaos. But even if somehow he managed to cooperate smoothly with these guys, we'd still win it. Like I said, Jing has a lot of experience vs multiple opponents and sword formations, but they have no experience vs Ruanhong Zhusuo (Wudu silk) or Wuying Leipo (flying kicks). The Taishan 7's formation isn't going to hold up well against that at all, even less well if Su Liaojing trips up their motions, which will make them relatively easy for us to manage on the whole. Besides, we just plowed through a huge bunch of "skilled" Taishan and Kunlun disciples with total impunity using these techniques.

So yes, vote C for +1 Swords, ZJ's challenge quest, and a massive +rep boost (Bai Jiutian has never faced Taishan 7; we're going to beat them and Su Liaojing at the same time). We're gonna win this, and we're gonna get a lot out of it.

Cao'er's got our back. Chi Qilin's got our back. Hell, the Sword Saint will interfere if shit would hit the fan anyway, so we're in the clear. Even if we get injured, those two would heal us.

Last edited:

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
C

I think we should consider the lazy badass on the hill. D will certainly affect how HE sees us. It wont help bring him down to help end the battle. I don't particularly care how Taishan and Kunlun think of us, but there is an orthodox fighter of note watching who it would be nice to impress.

Baltika9

Arcane
Except Shagguan has a stiffy for No Killling, and since we'll be going all out in C (we'll have to to survive), people will die. Which makes Shagguan sad.

Absinthe

Arcane
They're not that weak. They can take a beating. They'll live. It's not like we'll be using Shouwang claws to rip off arms here. We have the Wuying Leipo kick that trumps that. Plus, our Shaolin manual gave us Diving Eagle Grip to take our enemies out of the fight.

Quit being a coward and vote C.

Last edited:

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
He be sad about the deaths, but he will now our intentions were good decent. Plus, there's no guarantee we wont kill someone in D.

Esquilax

Arcane
They're not that weak. They can take a beating. They'll live. It's not like we'll be using Shouwang claws to rip off arms here. We have the Wuying Leipo kick that trumps that. Plus, our Shaolin manual gave us Diving Eagle Grip to take our enemies out of the fight.

We'll be using whatever technique we can, doing whatever the fuck it takes to come out on top in C, and if that includes killing, then so be it. That is how I understood it. Sneaky poisons are off-limits, everything else is fair game. It's not like we have a choice - this would be an insane fight to pick, so we gotta throw everything at them. If we're fighting fair against two schools at once, then they sure as fuck better be willing to put their lives on the line against our lethal techniques.

Also, it's hard to say whether the Thunder-Breaking Kick trumps the Shouwang Claws, it was mentioned earlier that the number of levels a technique has isn't necessarily a great indicator of how powerful it is. I'm sure in certain circumstances... like say, a brutal, tooth-and-nail battle against impossible odds, the Shouwang Claws might be a better technique than even our perfected Wuying technique. Of course, treave can confirm whether this is the case.

Absinthe

Arcane
Except it's not one technique.

There is Ruanhong Zhusuo (our spider silk technique).
There is Wuying Leipo (our new kick techniques).
There is Shouwang Claws' Diving Eagle Grip (which cripple instead of dismembering and killing).

We also still have Chuzhan Fist, Xianglong Eighteen Palms, and Self-Taught Sword which we can also use in this fight. So really, we are using everything; we're just not going about it lethally.

We can do this.

Esquilax

Arcane
We also still have Chuzhan Fist, Xianglong Eighteen Palms, and Self-Taught Sword which we can also use in this fight. So really, we are using everything; we're just not going about it lethally.

You are making a great case against doing this, btw. If we're not going to throw everything but the kitchen sink when fighting such long odds, trying to eke out whatever advantage that we can (lethal, brutal techniques) then why the fuck should we do it?!

VOTE C +1 SWORDS VOTE C +1 SWORDS VOTE C +1 SWORDS VOTE C +1 SWORDS VOTE C +1 SWORDS VOTE C +1 SWORDS VOTE C +1 SWORDS VOTE C +1 SWORDS

Absinthe

Arcane
Lethal techniques are still on the table, holy shit. If they try to kill us, then we're certainly going to fight back with what we've got. I'm just pointing out that we can readily beat them without the killing. We're still using our strongest techniques. Stop acting like this is a gimp attack. Fuck, I'm not even writing the update. Treave is.

Do you honestly believe we will lose with C?

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
Do you honestly believe we will lose with C?
Oh, no, I think we can win this, but said victory will be empty because:
We will be left with an almost empty tank. If this is a BJ-level fight, then we're definitely going to be smoked by the end.

We will most definitely either maim or kill some of them. This is a BJ-level fight, which means fucking around is a huge mistake.

Killing/maiming will make Shagguan sad. A sad Shagguan is bad for us and the Cult.
Since we came down here to bail their asses, I'd rather we stick to that.

Fangshi

Arcane
Well the big problem with C is that we gain so very little.

We may amuse Zhang but we have already sent him an entire group of pirates and an Emperor, we do not have to gear every move we make to amusing the man. He will be much more happy if we complete the challenge and beat BJ, proving that we are the best of our generation.

As far as rep goes we will be fighting all eight in both C and D. So what if they are not "ready", this is not a friendly match or a tournament setting. This is an actual battle, people are dying as we speak and they want a "match", seriously to hell with these guys. If they think we cheated then they can challenge us to a rematch after we have beaten BJ. And we can beat them again for good measure.

There is also our duty to defend these nubile maidens, if we manage to get injured which is more than possible we won't even be able to achieve the one goal we picked. Sure Cao'er and Quilin could try and look after them but how disappointed do think Zhang will be if he shows up and we are wounded and relying on our girls to protect us?

As for the Sword Saint bailing us out, well there goes our rep. I that case we gave up doing something useful only to get our ass kicked and be saved by the Saint. That would really do wonders for our rep. So I would say that the Saint is a non factor in this fight. He has no reason to get involved.

There is just no real reason to fight these guys fairly right now. We gain most of the same advantages in C that we would in D except we increase our chance to get injured and maybe we impress Zhang. But none of that: impressing Zhang, gaining rep, completing the challenge, none of it was why we chose to save the girls in the first place. We presumably did it to save their lives and that should be Jing's concern right now.

By some beautiful twist of fate we can demonstrate our sincerity and our understanding of the situation by fighting "dirty". It would show that unlike these idiots Jing understands that this is a real battle with potentially fatal consequences and that he in fact does value the lives of the people he is trying to protect. It would also more easily allow us to dominate them, potentially saving their lives as well. If we drop three or four of them we will be better situated to fight the rest and we will not have to go all out fatal with out techniques.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom