Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Well that ended anticlimactically. Anyway, I think I'm going with A.

Jing may not be the best fighter in the country, and he is definitely not the smartest either. But when it comes to making a distraction there are very few better then him.

Baltika9

Arcane
A distraction to what end, though? What are we looking to get out of A, except lulz?
Saving the girls definitely gives us a foot in the door with the Cult, they will speak up for us, and it nets us an ally, gets us closer to Yunzi (even though Mister Cockblock is in the neighborhood) and will save Qilin.

Baltika9

Arcane
Seems like a bad time for it, what with Qilin's life hanging in the balance and Nie Wuxing about to order a full-on charge. And we have no certainty on where Shagguan stands, the guy did just aid BJ against Vahista, so he may not be so neutral any more.

I suppose A could be good for one thing: stalling for LORD Zhang Jue's arrival. I'd'd still rather secure Qilin's life and an alliance with the cult, saving those girls and then forgoing the benefits like this seems kinda dumb to me.

Kipeci

Arcane
Well, that went about as well as could be expected. Perhaps if we'd been more proper about that business we could have actually gotten to convincingly face the Taishan and prove that Jing's better than them in a fight, get a better idea of how their formation works, etc., but as it is we just made them hate Jing intensely for no return greater than some of that fancy fire medicine. It can't be claimed that he even beat the Kunlun guy properly, now we'll have to waste time tracking down those losers to beat all of them up properly.

Anyway, for this vote, C. With Jing's girlfriend in a chokehold and the head of Huashan about to declare some nonsense, I think it's pretty bad to just sit down for a drink and hope that everything will get better. We saved those girls and built up a bit of credibility with the Fire Cult, let's put it to use now-- them taking Qilin hostage doesn't help out either side, them thinking that holding her will prevent any fighting from taking place when the orthodox don't care won't turn out well.

Kipeci

Arcane
If A actually wins it'll be so very disappointing, though at least better than B. We have the option to bother using Jing's charisma and brownie points with the cult from saving those girls to secure the release of our girl-- or alternatively painfully sparkly fire nonsense from the same, though I feel that's stupider and more likely to piss them off in addition to the Fire Cult probably being less concerned around fire-- and instead we ignore her plight to drink with the Sword Saint because of, let's see, "Jing needs a drink," "make Bai Juitian pour me a drink," (as if that'd actually happen) and maybe waiting on Zhang to make everything better. That's a pretty fucking terrible husband-to-be in my book.

Baltika9

Arcane
It seems that this 'fire medicine' is actually gunpowder, which is fucking awesome if true.
and maybe waiting on Zhang to make everything better.
To be fair, I think that that's the only way we can make A work: stall for LORD Zhang.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
And we have no certainty on where Shagguan stands, the guy did just aid BJ against Vahista, so he may not be so neutral any more.

Bai Jiutian stepped backwards, panting hard. She He flicked his sword sideways before returning to his stance. This was the hardest fight he had ever encountered in his life, and had Vahista not been injured during the battle at the cliff, he doubt he would have lasted this long. Still, he was tiring - the fiery qi attacks launched by the enemy were burning at him both inside and outside. He grit his teeth - as unwilling as he was, he might actually have to use that move.

Vahista stepped forward slowly, hands held low. The heavy metal rings circled around his wrists, clinking against each other. The air shimmered around him as he moved. Shaking the loose strands of hair away from his face, Bai Jiutian gripped his sword tightly, concentrating wholly on his opponent.

"This is getting rather too silly for my tastes. Come, stop this boring fight. It would be far more interesting to sit, drink and talk. Well, more drinking, at any rate." A lazy drawl interrupted his focus. He turned to look, Vahista mirroring his actions, and saw a mild-mannered man walking towards them. His hands were bare, the only weapon about him a large, black sword strapped to his back. “Who are you?” challenged Vahista.

Bai Jiutian widened his eyes, recognizing the identity of the man before him. Shangguan Chuji, the reclusive Sword Saint. “Master Shangguan,” he called out carefully, “I understand.” He sheathed his sword, causing Vahista to raise his eyebrows in surprise. Bai Jiutian had seen the Sword Saint fight before: if the man said he wanted the fight to stop, it would be a smart decision to heed his words.

Vahista, on the other hand, had clearly not met the man before. He charged forward, perhaps thinking to defeat the sleepy-looking man before he could interfere with his duel now that Bai Jiutian had stepped back. The young Huashan swordsman could understand why: the Sword Saint emanated no threat or killing intent of the sort. Gauging his true ability was nearly impossible.

The Sword Saint sighed, raising two fingers in front of him while placing his other hand behind his back. “Attack. Sweeping chop from above with both arms. Counter. Style one hundred and two. The frozen lake imprisons the full moon.”

It was over in the blink of an eye. The Amesha Spenta was slumped over, unconscious, a criss-crossing pattern of cuts left deep in the ground around him. Bai Jiutian felt a bead of sweat roll down his forehead… the Sword Saint had done all of that in a split second without even drawing his sword. He had barely felt the swordmaster’s qi shift.

Shangguan Chuji nonchalantly strolled up to the fallen Vahista and sat himself on the body. “So, what are you waiting for? Bring me some wine,” he gestured at Bai Jiutian. “I hear the Huashan Sect never goes anywhere without bringing at least two tankards. Brother Nie should have cultivated a fine stock this year.”

Kipeci

Arcane
I'm pretty sure that gunpowder, especially gunpowder of this time, wouldn't be quite that quick and potent with heat and light even if it had been suddenly invented... I mean, Qilin had some blinding light powder or something like it, I have no idea what it is but some similar materials apparently exist without quite being gunpowder. There's the off chance that he's a genius or something, but Kunlun was supposed to be good with herbalism, yes?

To be fair, I think that that's the only way we can make A work: stall for LORD Zhang.

Is there any chance you could revert to typing out Lord Zhang instead? The all-caps start to grate after a while.

RealDDc

Learned
On another matter, am I the only one whom seems that satchel to be suspicious. With all this fairness attitude, why does a Orthodox guy carry this with him into a tournament? The moment they prepared for the event no one could know it would turn into a war, unless they planned to turn it into a war beforehand.

Even more so that it has some suspiciously unsuspicious label?
fire medicine

...You raise your arms up at his words, but it is not enough. There is a loud bang. A blinding light floods your sight. A wave of heat washes over you, hot enough to lightly singe your skin...
Treave were the beggars completely convinced that the cliff had been brought down by the fighting or did they suspect that there might be some sabotage involved?

They weren't close enough to be sure, and there were a lot of explosions flying around near the end of the fight thanks to the high power of the combatants. You could investigate, but that'll have to wait for later.

Coincidence? Or is there more to it?

Baltika9

Arcane
Well, Su Liaojing wasn't aiming to kill us, so of course it wasn't lethal, but that does indeed seem like gunpowder. We must reverse-engineer this.
treave, how come our 'dishonorable' actions didn't net us a single unorthodox point? I was expecting at least five.
Is there any chance you could revert to typing out Lord Zhang instead? The all-caps start to grate after a while.
HERESY!

Kipeci

Arcane
Why should it give us an unorthodox point? We already have a vast amount from killing lots of people (some of those being pugilists of our own nationality and alliance while they were trying to attack pirates and so on) and being the apprentice of the Southern Maniac in addition to oodles of other stuff, relative to that attacking foes before they've assembled into a strong formation that they boasted would defeat us before the match begun doesn't really seem like it'd tip the scales any. Jing is unorthodox enough that I think he should have to do some very unorthodox things in order to keep on racking up a similar number of points, and attacking out of turn doesn't really seem like it'd cut it.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I really don't see why it should. You only managed to sucker-punch one guy anyway. They reacted too slow and should have been on guard the moment they saw you. Their masters and seniors would berate them for not doing so, considering the stuff you have done before. It's expected of you not to play fair, so it wouldn't increase your unorthodox reputation.

Rex Feral

Prophet
Dammit. I want to save Qilin but also want to look cool with the Sword Saint :(

Since we saved those maidens, I guess they could vouch for us. C>A

Ganymede

Learned
You fucks are going to faf about and drink wine with some obnoxious hippie faggot while a fucking sandnigger savage holds the possible mother of your child by the throat??!!!!
:x

DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Don't tell me Qilin hasn't sicced her snake on him. Immune to poison he may be, but damn if he can stand the tickles.

Rex Feral

Prophet
If you think we can run all the way to Qilin, grab her and run away with her, before the Master-Level Guy holding his hand on her throat can even react, you are out of your mind. We don't need fire medicine for that, we need time bending powers.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Good night sweet princess.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom