Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Kipeci

Arcane
Not sure about that... I've accepted that we probably won't be going off to join or do cool things with the Fire Cult, but I think we can and should manage to be on their friendly side if possible.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I would assume the order to use a hostage came from the Temple Lord, then? Because I don't think Yunzi herself believes this is going to work, and I would aslo assume that she would have voiced her opinion on the matter.

I can barely see the opinion of the maids meaning anything in such a case.

GreyViper said:
Go for a hybrid answer where you call out Fire Cult being pussies and hiding behind a pregnant woman thus making them a child killer if they do execute Qilin.
I don't think it matters to them, as the alternative to taking a hostage is an utter annihilation at the hands of the orthodox pugilists (or so the Fire Cult thinks). I don't think they are concerned about their pride anymore.

ScubaV

Prophet
Also, I'm sure that Jing drinking in a sensitive situation with his drinking skill of 1 is a good idea.

Kipeci

Arcane
The opinions of the maids are to back us up against their initial suspicion that Jing is some orthodox apprentice attempting to wrest back the orthodox lady they've nabbed. That allows the talking to occur in the first place since it gives concrete evidence that Jing is not their enemy.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
It's safe to assume that Yunzi doesn't have a say in the matter, yes. Any more info would probably be spoilers for the choices, though.

Nevill

Arcane
The opinions of the maids are to back us up against their initial suspicion that Jing is some orthodox apprentice attempting to wrest back the orthodox lady they've nabbed.
Yunzi could have told them that. Yet they are doing it anyway.

Look, if we start pleading with them, the orthodoxes will have even more reason to attack. If by that time, which I believe will be extremely short, we do not manage to convince their Lord, then Qilin is done for.

If Yunzi does not have a say it, I don't know what we are counting on.

Also, I'm sure that Jing drinking in a sensitive situation with his drinking skill of 1 is a good idea.
We have an unarmed skill of 7. Do you think that wrestling Qilin free of their grasp would work better?
The lack of skill is unfortunate, yet I still believe this to be our best shot.

Baltika9

Arcane
Yunzi could have told them that. Yet they are doing it anyway.
Unlikely, since she's too proud and upright for that. A dude hardened by Muslim genocide, however...
We have an unarmed skill of 7. Do you think that wrestling Qilin free of their grasp would work better?
The lack of skill is unfortunate, yet I still believe this to be our best shot.
Our best shot to do what and how? What miracle are we stalling for in A?

Nevill

Arcane
Baltika9 said:
Unlikely, since she's too proud and upright for that. A dude hardened by Muslim genocide, however...
Yunzi is too proud and upright to tell the dudes holding a girl hostage that she is not the bargaining chip they are looking for? What?

Baltika9 said:
Our best shot to do what and how? What miracle are we stslling for in A?
Stalling for time. If the orthodoxes won't attack the Fire Cult, Qilin survives. If the Saint makes up his mind to intervene, Qilin survives. If we find an opportunity to bring Cao'er close enough to paralyze the guy, Qilin survives. An opportunity will present itself, given enough time.

Kipeci

Arcane
Look, if we start pleading with them, the orthodoxes will have even more reason to attack. If by that time, which I believe will be extremely short, we do not manage to convince their Lord, then Qilin is done for.

Why's that? If I remember correctly, Jing trounced some of the sect masters that made it back alive. If he's ventured to the other side, they have to think that much more about whether or not they should strike. I'm definitely thinking that we'll have a couple minutes to talk it out.

Jing is a powerful talker with good points to back him up, it shouldn't be that difficult to convince him. At any rate, actually doing something to secure Qilin in my book beats out drinking until the fight starts anyway (you haven't told me why it wouldn't, after all) if for no other reason than that you can know for a fact that her family will hear sbout this.

"I tried to talk down the kidnapper" >> "I thought I'd drink until everything got better"

Nevill

Arcane
Kipeci said:
If I remember correctly, Jing trounced some of the sect masters that made it back alive.
No, you are not. Jing is not an equal to the masters of the Eight Sects yet. The ones he fought barely reach the level of the Eight Sects' best disciples. Jing has a reputation, but so does Bai Jiutian, and Vahista is down. If it comes to a fight, the orthodoxes still have 3 to 2 advantage. Jing is not going to scare them away, and his declaration will only serve to infuriate them further.

The only one they will be afraid of is the Sword Saint.

Kipeci said:
"I tried to talk down the kidnapper" >> "I thought I'd drink until everything got better"
If the kidnapper can be talked down. If not, you best hope is to take him down instead.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Ugh. Told you guys that he'd intercept us. And he probably wouldn't have used that cheap trick had we not pulled a cheap trick of our own, so the blame for our defeat, tarnished rep, and the death our snake (and possibly Qilin) lies on Baltika9's shoulders. We have a flash bomb for our trouble, so not a total loss, but things could have gone so much better.

We aren't good at negotiation and we just got our asses kicked AND they are very gaurded, so I doubt a straight fight would do anything other than get Qilin killed. We ARE, however, good at trolling and distraction, so that is what I vote we do: A>C

Last edited by a moderator:

Baltika9

Arcane
Baltika9 said:
Our best shot to do what and how? What miracle are we stslling for in A?
Stalling for time. If the orthodoxes won't attack the Fire Cult, Qilin survives. If the Saint makes up his mind to intervene, Qilin survives. If we find an opportunity to bring Cao'er close enough to paralyze the guy, Qilin survives. An opportunity will present itself, given enough time.
Except that it most definitely might not. Shagguan's position and movies are a complete unknown, we have no idea if they align with ours and we really have no idea of his angle in this situation. All I know is that, had he wanted to help the Fire Cult to escape and get Qilin to safety, he would have given them an opportunity to do so already. And another thing: Jing's appearance and trolololo is the absolutely last thing we want if we are to prevent more violence out there.

On the other hand, the whole case for C rests on this: the girls and Yunzi are there to get us in and vouch for us that we are definitely unorthodox and no friends to their enemies, the sects. One that trust has been established, from mutual enemies and aiding his people, it will be rather simple to point out that "hey, this girl is the heiress of the Wudu, those guys you did business with, and the orthodoxes really don't give a shit about her." He will most certainly ask for something in return, I expect him to ask for assistance in their retreat, But, hey, that just gets us closer to them and Qilin's ass into safety, so I'm all for it.

Nevill

Arcane
Lambchop19 said:
Told you guys that he'd intercept us.
He didn't. We brought one of the Taishan disciples down, and the rest have scattered. In that regard, it was a success.

Lambchop19 said:
He probably wouldn't have used that cheap trick had we not pulled a cheap trick of our own, so the blame for our defeat
He wouldn't. However, it is good that we know of their trick now. Oh, and in the battle of dirty tricks. he was still defeated. He is the one lying on the ground while we are standing.

Lambchop19 said:
and the death our snake and possibly Qilin lies on Baltika9's shoulders.
Qilin got captured because we were separated with her (and not gone with the Operation: Maiden Capture). I see absolutely no relation between her capture and the previous choice. She would still get caught while we were busy fighting Taishan disciples.

So you are dramatizing for the sake of dramatizing.

Last edited:

Tribute

Arbiter
I can't help but wonder how this whole thing would have gone down had we joined the Wudang.

Baltika9

Arcane
tarnished rep
Orthodoxy:
-395 (Infamously Unorthodox)
treave, how come our 'dishonorable' actions didn't net us a single unorthodox point? I was expecting at least five.
I really don't see why it should. You only managed to sucker-punch one guy anyway. They reacted too slow and should have been on guard the moment they saw you. Their masters and seniors would berate them for not doing so, considering the stuff you have done before. It's expected of you not to play fair, so it wouldn't increase your unorthodox reputation.
Indeed. :butthurt:

Lambchop19 said:
Told you guys that he'd intercept us.
He didn't. We brought one of the Taishan disciples down, and the rest have scattered. In that regard, it was a success.
We were intercepted before we could take another one down, so yes, we were intercepted.
Lambchop19 said:
He probably wouldn't have used that cheap trick had we not pulled a cheap trick of our own, so the blame for our defeat
He wouldn't. However, it is good that we know of their trick now.
Yeah, I'm sure that will be super useful. :roll:
Lambchop19 said:
and the death our snake and possibly Qilin lies on Baltika9's shoulders.
Qilin got captured because we were separated with her (and not gone with the Operation: Maiden Capture). I see absolutely no relation between her capture and the previous choice. He would still get caught while we were busy fighting Taishan disciples.
You are right, forgot about that. No, I'm not dramatizing for the sake of dramatizing.:roll:

Nevill

Arcane
Baltika9 said:
Shagguan's position and movies are a complete unknown, we have no idea if they align with ours and we really have no idea of his angle in this situation.
I believe we do:
"This is getting rather too silly for my tastes. Come, stop this boring fight. It would be far more interesting to sit, drink and talk. Well, more drinking, at any rate."
He does not want the fight to continue, and have taken action against the ones who do.

Baltika9 said:
And another thing: Jing's appearance and trolololo is the absolutely last thing we want if we are to prevent more violence out there.
It would redirect the violence to him. Which is the whole point of 'distraction'.

Baltika9 said:
On the other hand, the whole case for C rests on this: the girls and Yunzi are there to get us in and vouch for us that we are definitely unorthodox and no friends to their enemies, the sects.
Again, they don't need us pointing out that Qilin does not belong to the orthodox sects, Yunzi can do it just as well, and she does not need anyone vouching for her. If she didn't, or if she did, but was ineffective, I don't see us affecting much.

Lambchop19 said:
We were intercepted before we could take another one down, so yes, we were intercepted.
The point was to disable the formation.
I am sure that if Jing took six of them down, you could argue that he was intercepted before he could take down all seven, but ultimately we made the Taishan Heroes flee with this move.

Baltika9

Arcane
Except that Yunzi may not know Qilin all that well, who she is exactly and the like. If we barter our assistance for her life, assistance in helping them GTFO, I believe they'll agree because they are exchanging a definite advantage over a useless hostage. If Shagguan wants to stop violence, he can prevent the sects from attacking and/or buy the Cult enough time to escape. There is absolutely nothing good that can happen the longer these two groups are in close proximity, especially with us trolling in the middle of it. They can hate on us all they want, but Jing isn't the one who started this mess so I don't see how our presence in A affects the situation positively at all.

Rex Feral

Prophet
If Codex spent days discussing how many guys we should fight I think it will take weeks for us to decide an actual important choice. I guess if I make it back by Easter I might be just in time for another update.

Kipeci

Arcane
No, you are not. Jing is not an equal to the masters of the Eight Sects yet. The ones he fought barely reach the level of the Eight Sects' best disciples. Jing has a reputation, but so does Bai Jiutian, and Vahista is down. If it comes to a fight, the orthodoxes still have 3 to 2 advantage. Jing is not going to scare them away, and his declaration will only serve to infuriate them further.

The only one they will be afraid of is the Sword Saint.

Didn't Jing face off against some of the guys in the 100 man match? Well, whatever. If Jing isn't a blip compared to their strength, why would they care if he walks over to the Fire Cult? If the Sword Saint is the one currently keeping the peace, then the peace doesn't depend on Jing and he should use the time the Sword Saint is buying to try to achieve his goal. If the Sword Saint is the only one that they fear, why would Jing stopping by to have a drink with him affect their choice either way?

We aren't good at negotiation and we just got our asses kicked AND they are very gaurded, so I doubt a straight fight would do anything other than get Qilin killed. We ARE, however, good at trolling and distraction, so that is what I vote we do: A>C

Jing is pretty decent at negotiation (though the Codex generally discards it in favor of trolling, as it's starting to look right now...) and he has probably the best stance for it right now. He's outside of the cult heirarchy so he can actually speak up to the ruler, he's established that he's not an orthodox jerk and has helped to save some of their members, and can point out that holding onto their target won't actually get them anywhere. Trolling and distraction won't help Qilin escape when she's in the chokehold of a high-level cult member.

I really don't like the situation if A wins. We should all know by now that Jing's luck means that he has to work for himself in order to get decent results rather than waiting for them to drop in his lap, why do you think it'll be any different if he just starts guzzling wine between these two sides?

Baltika9

Arcane
And standing in the middle of two belligerent crowds who can boil over at any second and trolling everyone while your girl's life hangs in the balance is a pretty dumb idea. What are the concrete advantages of A?

The point was to disable the formation.
I am sure that if Jing took six of them down, you could argue that he was intercepted before he could take down all seven, but ultimately we made the Taishan Heroes flee with this move.
Not if we took down six, no. Then we could say that we did defeat them, or at least six of the seven. +1 to our rep as a bad ass. As it stands, we got one sneak attack in on them. Not a real victory. And sure, objective achieved, but the guy still stepped in, so everyone who said he'd just stand there was wrong. A minor point, so I don't want to waste any more time debating the meanings of words with you. The overall point is that we didn't achieve a real victory over any of these guys - not the seven and not this guy - and we ended up flat on our back. You think Zhang will be pleased that a little nun saved our ass? It was a victory in the sense that their threat was neutralized, but not in any other sense. Geez, have to telegraph this shit...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom