Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
And I think that makes it:

Farmer - 5
Rogue - 6
Adjutant - 7

So we'll be going with that background.

Jester

Arbiter
I believe Jester is willing to flop to rogue if his preferred scholar or doctor doesn't win, which makes it
So all that is left is for Azira to flop to Farmer and then we can play a Farmer-Rogue-Adjutant unholy hybrid.
Yes, but i guess cant win them all huh. And that hybrid sounds like average guy all in all.
For adjutant will vote Dragon born natural scales included i hope. ;)

He is a fun-loving prankster who easily disregards social hierarchy and etiquette
This is to good to pass. Fliping to monkey.

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Here are the zodiac choices as well as the starting personality for each choice. I would suggest everyone restate their preferred birth sign in light of the Adjutant now being the chosen background.

Thank you.

Rat Adjutant
(STR – 5, PER – 7, END – 4, CHA – 5, INT – 8, AGI – 7, LUC – 2)
Average at strength, endurance and charisma, the Rat Adjutant is nonetheless very perceptive, highly intelligent and an agile person. He is inquisitive by nature, but his curiosity often gets the better of him by landing him in trouble. His optimism helps him to get out of trouble just as quickly.

Ox Adjutant
(STR – 8, PER – 6, END – 8, CHA – 5, INT – 4, AGI – 5, LUC – 2)
Even though he is not the brightest, most charming or nimble of people, the Ox Adjutant can offer some surprising insight at times. His strong physique and stamina make him a faithful and stoic but simple companion, though he can be a rather stubborn character. Any personal misfortune is treated as his lot in life.

Tiger Adjutant
(STR – 8, PER – 5, END – 5, CHA – 6, INT – 6, AGI – 7, LUC – 1)
Powerful, quick, smart and sociable, the Tiger Adjutant is a naturally impulsive character whose hot-headedness has been somewhat tempered by his upbringing so that he won’t mistake his own boundless courage for actual invincibility. He will at least look before he leaps. His strong, confident outlook on life has allowed him to forge ahead despite his horrible luck.

Rabbit Adjutant
(STR – 4, PER – 6, END – 5, CHA – 7, INT – 6, AGI – 5, LUC – 5)
The Rabbit Adjutant does not excel physically, but is rather intelligent, perceptive and an outgoing person. He shies away from confrontations and prefers to get along with people. He was born under a star of disaster, but the eight characters of his birth have determined him to be a person of great luck. The resulting contradiction has left him with some measure of fortune.

Dragon Adjutant
(STR – 7, PER – 7, END – 5, CHA – 6, INT – 7, AGI – 3, LUC – 3)
Strong, perceptive, charismatic and intelligent, the gifted Dragon Adjutant is able to apply himself well to most tasks. He is a proud creature, constantly conducting himself in a dignified manner. However, his natural clumsiness and poor luck tends to detract slightly from that noble image in the eyes of others.

Snake Adjutant
(STR – 5, PER – 7, END – 5, CHA – 7, INT – 6, AGI – 7, LUC –1)
A keen observer who is able to apply his intelligence to his discoveries, the Snake Adjutant is also very sophisticated and nimble. He is slippery and has a habit of making little lies, even when unnecessary. Of course, his lies are necessary more often than not due to slip-ups borne of his misfortune.

Horse Adjutant
(STR – 6, PER – 5, END – 8, CHA – 5, INT – 5, AGI – 6, LUC – 3)
The Horse Adjutant is a very robust character with good strength and agility. His luck is relatively poor, but he is loyal to his masters and will serve without complaint. Still, even though he will rarely question the orders that he has been given, he has an impulsive streak that needs to be reined in.

Goat Adjutant
(STR – 6, PER – 8, END – 5, CHA – 4, INT – 9, AGI – 5, LUC – 1)
Temperamental and rather gruff in his manner, the Goat Adjutant is nevertheless a veritable genius and extremely perceptive. Few things can escape his scrutinizing inquiries, making him someone that may annoy and yet be cause for admiration in equal measure. His cynicism lets him view his terrible luck as a fundamental truth of the world.

Monkey Adjutant
(STR – 6, PER – 6, END – 5, CHA – 5, INT – 8, AGI – 8, LUC – 1)
The excellent intelligence and dexterity of the Monkey Adjutant makes him a rather cheerful and cunning character. He is a fun-loving prankster who easily disregards social hierarchy and etiquette. Of course, his pranks tend to backfire due to his bad luck.

Rooster Adjutant
(STR – 4, PER – 7, END – 5, CHA – 7, INT – 6, AGI – 6, LUC – 3)
Although he is not particularly strong or sturdy, the Rooster Adjutant is quick-witted and observant. He is forthright and truthful, though he cannot help but question his poor luck when fate interferes with his plans.

Dog Adjutant
(STR – 6, PER – 9, END – 5, CHA – 5, INT – 6, AGI – 7, LUC – 0)
Nothing escapes the Dog Adjutant’s keen senses; his perceptiveness is a matter of ingrained, sharp instinct. He is also quick, strong and smart. However, he appears to have the most disastrous luck in recorded history – rather than bad luck, it would be better to call it a curse. This has not disturbed his unshakeable loyalty to the Emperor and country, however.

Pig Adjutant
(STR – 7, PER – 6, END – 6, CHA – 5, INT – 7, AGI – 3, LUC – 4)
The Pig Adjutant is observant and sturdy, although he is not very nimble on his feet and is rather lazy and selfish. Even so, should he be prodded into action, his strength and keen mind will help to solve problems quickly.

Last edited:

Kashmir Slippers

Magister
Snake - The low luck could be interesting to see. Since it is the defining quality of our class, we might as well accept it rather than trying to cover it up. I have always liked fast smart characters over beefy slow ones as well.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
For those interested in combat skills, the natural caps are as follows:

Axe, Bow, Saber, Spear, Staff, Sword, Thrown, Unarmed.

Rat Adjutant
5, 7, 6, 6, 6, 6, 7, 6. Total = 49

Ox Adjutant
8, 6, 7, 7, 7, 7, 6, 7. Total = 55

Tiger Adjutant
7, 6, 8, 7, 7, 8, 6, 8. Total = 57

Rabbit Adjutant
5, 6, 5, 5, 5, 5, 6, 5. Total = 42

Dragon Adjutant
7, 5, 5, 7, 7, 5, 5, 5. Total = 46

Snake Adjutant
5, 7, 6, 6, 6, 6, 7, 6. Total = 49

Horse Adjutant
7, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6. Total = 49

Goat Adjutant
6, 7, 6, 7, 7, 6, 7, 6. Total = 52

Monkey Adjutant
6, 7, 7, 6, 6, 7, 7, 7. Total = 53

Rooster Adjutant
5, 7, 5, 6, 6, 5, 7, 5. Total = 46

Dog Adjutant
6, 8, 7, 8, 8, 7, 8, 7. Total = 59

Pig Adjutant
7, 5, 5, 7, 7, 5, 5, 5. Total = 46

The Dog has the highest total potential for overall weapon proficiency, followed by the Tiger, and then the Ox. Of course, it is not feasible to master every single weapon unless we devote all our time to doing it. So, if we are looking at the potential for mastery, it is as follows:

Ox - Able to master the axe.
Tiger - Able to master the saber, sword and unarmed fighting.
Dog - Able to master the bow, spear, staff and thrown weapons.

oscar

Arcane
Deciding between Dragon and Horse. Pig also seems interesting as well.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Regardless of the description, all of the personalities also have loyalty as a defining characteristic thanks to the background. The Dog, Ox and the Horse are even more loyal than most. This round of voting will close approximately 36 hours from now.

Kipeci

Arcane
Tiger.

With swords being the most prestigious option and us already having a character with some benefits in swordery, we may as well go for mastery of it!

Edit: Though, going for the worst luck stat would put an interesting bent on the story. Kashmir Slippers , would you mind flopping to be a Dog Adjutant? It would embrace the bad luck of our character more heavily than the snake, and would still have the same scores for intelligence and agility. The only other differences (aside from personality) are that the dog is a bit stronger and more perceptive, while the snake is more charismatic. If you'd be willing to flip, then I'd go ahead and flop to Dog.

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
The tiger seems like a sufficiently fuck-yeahstly character, but I'd rather go with the Master of Intrigue Dragon.

Baltika9

Arcane
Naw, this guy's smart.

I like him, but the Dwaggon Adjutant seems like a very :obviously: gentleman, I would love to become the Prince's Master of Court and Intrigue. He doesn't need to know all the things we do for the benefit, does he now?

Kipeci

Arcane
He will at least look before he leaps.
Not our rift-jumping Ean.

I just want our guy to be able to master something physical. Tiger Adjutant would be good since he can master unarmed combat or cutting people with a sword or saber, and it goes without saying that having powerful kung-fu would be a plus here, as would being the best swordsman we could be. Intrigue... not so much. We already went there with Dio, we don't work well with it. If we throw away the opportunity to be masters of martial arts in a pugilistic era for palace intrigue with nobles in a collapsing decadent court, well, that'd be a bummer in my book.

Esquilax

Arcane
I just want our guy to be able to master something physical. Tiger Adjutant would be good since he can master unarmed combat or cutting people with a sword or saber, and it goes without saying that having powerful kung-fu would be a plus here, as would being the best swordsman we could be. Intrigue... not so much. We already went there with Dio, we don't work well with it. If we throw away the opportunity to be masters of martial arts in a pugilistic era for palace intrigue with nobles in a collapsing decadent court, well, that'd be a bummer in my book.

I dunno, intrigue is always fun too. I'm just picking the personality I find most interesting out of all these. While I'm onboard with playing as an ass-kicker, the Goat Adjutant background looks mighty interesting; a cynical, incredibly observant genius who is keenly aware of how cursed his luck is. In a lot of ways, he seems to be the opposite of the Tiger, who does remind me of Ean quite a bit. I think that the Goat has the intelligence and the awareness to be prepared for situations, and to keep the Prince safe. Sure, he's not particularly charming, but I rather like his no-bullshit demeanor. He'll still be good with a spear too.

Goat Adjutant

That being said, I still like Ox, Tiger and Horse as well. Ox would be closest to the Forrest Gump character I envisioned the Farmer being, but the Horse would be a martial badass that would avoid the awful luck of the Tiger - there's no way that 1 Luck won't backfire on us all the time, even if we are a martial arts master. treave, if we picked a Goat/Farmer character, would we have gotten a character who was actually a genius compared to the rest of his family and village, despite having average intelligence? It would be funny to play a wuxia version of Idiocracy.

ScubaV

Prophet
Pig

We have high potential with unconventional weapons (axe, spear, staff) and have a good mix of stats. Plus I like the idea of playing a lazy, selfish character who can get things done when he wants to.

Baltika9

Arcane
Aw, come on, intrigue and politics won't be that boring. We'll be playing in one of the oldest civilizations in existence, I'm sure it will be challenging. I really can see Dragon being a curious Varys/Littlefinger combination, only with honor and loyalties (in the beginning, anyway). Restoring the Mandate of Heaven won't be easy or boring and there definitely won't be a shortage of asses stab with a guan-dao. Who knows, we may get something out of it too, I could easily see our bro getting rewarded with his own lands and fiefdoms, getting the opportunity to fuck around with his own court.

Goat seems like the closest thing to the smartass scholar I wanted, could be pretty fun too.

Tiger, lots of potential in for military asskicking in that one, could be really fun.

oscar

Arcane
Debating between Horse and Dragon

Horse leaves us very well balanced, being above average in everything but luck. Our high endurance also means we'll be a great axe user.

Dragon sees us become a strong, likeable and intelligent warrior. Excellent officer material. Except having a low agility is a bit nasty since lots of combat styles draw from it. Still I could see this guy being a very useful commander or even politician who can still kick ass if need be.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
You guys seem to be confusing this wuxia LP for a Three Kingdoms LP with your talk of politics and commanding armies and ruling cities. Don't get disappointed when it doesn't happen.

Goat Farmer wouldn't be considered a genius but would be regarded as relatively bright and knowledgeable in agriculture.

edit: Not to say that palace and sectarian politics won't play a role, or that you won't get involved, but don't expect it to be the main course of the LP, is what I'm saying.

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
Yeah, Tiger seems a bit too Eanish and if we picked Adjutant we might as well go full swing down that path. As treave says it's also more about what kind of face you put out to the world and I'm not so inclined to intrigue-fy it.

Dragon Adjutant, I'm also partial to Pig.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom