Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Rabbit-Dragon>Rabbit

Man, I really wish Rogue won. I like the idea of a physically weak, charismatic scoundrel who must become a martial arts hero.

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
The rogue would also have been a cad that is skilled at conquering hearts and beds.

His skill at qinggong would allow him to fly out the window when the local magistrate comes back early from work and catches his wife in the act.

Tigranes

Arcane
Oh, come on.

I will never forgive you all for declining this LP from the VERY FIRST CHOICE. :(

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Throwing one in for Dragon adjutant.

Would have gone for Ox scholar, but maybe that isn't the best of ideas.

Baltika9

Arcane
The bbenfits of choosing a martially-inclined birthsign are obvious, moar asses kicked.

My question is this: how exactly do smarts make up for combat stats? Sure, knowing the Art of War and quoting Sun Tzu's works is pretty cool in a social/courtly setting, but from what you've said, it's not the focus of the setting. That won't do us much good when a burly farmer wants to introduce us to his fists, "pain" and "misery."

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
An intelligent fighter is a fighter who understands his own strengths and weaknesses. Furthermore, if said fighter is also observant, he will be able to pinpoint his enemy's advantages and disadvantages too. Therefore, the maxim is as follows:

Compensate for your weakness while capitalizing on your strength
Attack their faults while avoiding their strong points
Accomplish this and only Heaven can rob you of your victory.

Thus, a strong and powerful warrior may lose even in a straight-up confrontation with a weaker but more skilled and smarter fighter. /confuciusraptor

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Luck being what it is, depending on what you are up to, misfortune might not strike all the time. Only when it hurts you the most, or when you least expect it.

Baltika9

Arcane
So, we're not dying of an ingrown toenail gone gangrenous anytime soon?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Only if you don't regularly clip the nail in the correct manner. Being tragically unlucky is no excuse for not observing proper hygiene.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Here is the current tally thus far:

Horse - 2
Rat - 1
Monkey - 1
Snake - 2
Tiger - 1
Dragon - 7
Rabbit - 6
Pig - 2

Taking into account Stygian Lurker's and ScubaV's contingency flop, it could become:

Horse - 2
Rat - 1
Monkey - 1
Snake - 1
Tiger - 2
Dragon - 7
Rabbit - 7
Pig - 1

An interesting personality can make for interesting situations, so it may be worth considering the trade-off between that and the stats you desire. Feel free to ask more questions about the personalities if you need more specifics on how they would behave.

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Well, I figured people who voted Adjutant before this might change their mind about zodiac now that new information is available, so I didn't count the old votes into this tally. I'll add rat in.

ScubaV

Prophet
treave, I was comparing Pig to Dragon and it seems you accidentally added an endurance point to the Dragon Adjutant summary where there shouldn't be one (6 instead of 5).

Also, I will flop to Horse or Rabbit if either can tie or beat the lead choice.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Long time lurker here. Did not post a thing for 4 years, but treave's storytelling managed to smoke me out of hiding. I am still in the middle of the previous LP - it was magnificent. It would be a shame to miss the new epic story in the making.

As for the sign, I don't believe that we've played the archetype corresponding to the Monkey sign, so I would like to try that. Unfortunately, it does not seem to be popular. So let's try Rabbit instead. I'd like to see someone who relies more on charisma than brawn.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
Rabbit. It's a shame rogue didn't win.

ScubaV, I believe Rabbit is tied with dragon.

Esquilax

Arcane
I think that a Rabbit sign kind of contradicts the whole point of playing an unlucky character. I'd like to think that we choose a character not only for their strengths, but for their weaknesses (i.e. part of the fun of playing the Farmer is that he's a country bumpkin, the Scholar is a classic nerd who is terrible at sports, the Doctor has Codexer-level social skills, etc.) so I think it's boring if we end up with a character who is mostly average with the Rabbit sign. I get not wanting to be disastrously unlucky, in which case there are other signs, but I don't understand why you'd want to shore up our weakness completely, as it would just make us average at everything, and ultimately a whole lot less interesting. The bad luck is part of the character, and we ought to embrace it to a certain extent.

I'm flopping to Horse, however, if no one else other than oscar wants either that or the Ox sign, I'll flop to Dragon. Actually, scratch that, the Rabbit sign is fascinating - bipolar luck is just a very cool angle.

An interesting personality can make for interesting situations, so it may be worth considering the trade-off between that and the stats you desire. Feel free to ask more questions about the personalities if you need more specifics on how they would behave.

treave, I'm curious as to how the various different signs would carry out their roles as Adjutant: would the Horse or Ox be more of a praetorian who protects the Prince from physical dangers, while somebody like the Goat or Dragon acts in a more subtle way? I figure that a guy like the Goat would be more of a detective/investigator type.

Also, what are the differences between Perception and Intelligence? A guy like the Ox isn't very bright, but he's probably fairly aware of his surroundings, right?

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Oh, the rabbit can be interesting. For one, he's supposed to be unlucky but isn't. That doesn't mean they just simply cancel each other out, it means that overall, he could encounter fortune and misfortune in equal measure. There's a chance of having bipolar luck, if you will.

Secondly, the kind-hearted and genuinely friendly nature of the rabbit will be extremely out of place in the Imperial palace. That alone has the potential for rather interesting interactions, especially considering his more mediocre stats.

As I said earlier, don't just consider the stats, consider the personality of the characters.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
treave, I'm curious as to how the various different signs would carry out their roles as Adjutant: would the Horse or Ox be more of a praetorian who protects the Prince from physical dangers, while somebody like the Goat or Dragon acts in a more subtle way? I figure that a guy like the Goat would be more of a detective/investigator type.

Also, what are the differences between Perception and Intelligence? A guy like the Ox isn't very bright, but he's probably fairly aware of his surroundings, right?

The background says Adjutant, but that is more of an official term than a job description, I suppose. Perhaps a more proper term would be aide. In reality, your job would primarily involve being the Crown Prince's companion and playmate. Your education is well-rounded, so that in the future you can assist him in both military and administrative capacities. This is different from being designated as an official bodyguard or investigator or minister or what-have-you. You are just there to serve the Prince in whatever capacity you can.

This means that your orders will come only from the Crown Prince, or perhaps the Emperor, if His Majesty is so inclined. If he wants you to play ball, you play ball. If he wants you to be his bodyguard, you will lay your life down for him. If he wants you to solve a murder mystery, you better put on your thinking cap and solve it with a dramatic reveal. Of course, since he has grown up with you from a very young age and knows you well, he will understand what you are most skilled at, and usually put you to that use. In that regard, you are correct about the approximate roles each sign may play, but there may be exceptions where you are called on to serve in an area you are not proficient in.

The Pig, for example, would probably just laze around flirting with the palace maids until the Prince gives him a friendly boot up the ass to get him to help out with something that requires a somewhat unorthodox approach.

Or take the Rat, who would not need to be tasked with ferreting out information because he is naturally inquisitive, and will already have a good grasp on being a gossip-monger.

You can expect a rather different Adjutant from each sign you pick. The most similar would be the Horse and Ox, but even then the Horse is more energetic, while the Ox is rather stoic.

Perception is more closely related to observation skill. Someone with high perception but low intelligence has great awareness but may not be able to react to it on much more than an instinctual level, while a low perception, high intelligence character is absent-minded if intelligent, and can be reckless due to lack of awareness about their surroundings.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I think that a Rabbit sign kind of contradicts the whole point of playing an unlucky character. I'd like to think that we choose a character not only for their strengths, but for their weaknesses (i.e. part of the fun of playing the Farmer is that he's a country bumpkin, the Scholar is a classic nerd who is terrible at sports, the Doctor has Codexer-level social skills, etc.) so I think it's boring if we end up with a character who is mostly average with the Rabbit sign.
I'd rather emphasize our weaknesses rather than compensate for them, too. But, for once, I want to see an outgoing character who can't find an easy way out of unpleasant situations with sheer muscles. Ean had charisma, but he always had his unmatched martial prowess to fall back upon, and Dio was not particularly amiable. This should be interesting.

Tigranes

Arcane
In that case... Pig. I like Rabbit but I don't think the 'kind-hearted' approach is very interesting, though I could be persuaded.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom