Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

ScubaV

Prophet
I think that a Rabbit sign kind of contradicts the whole point of playing an unlucky character. I'd like to think that we choose a character not only for their strengths, but for their weaknesses (i.e. part of the fun of playing the Farmer is that he's a country bumpkin, the Scholar is a classic nerd who is terrible at sports, the Doctor has Codexer-level social skills, etc.) so I think it's boring if we end up with a character who is mostly average with the Rabbit sign. I get not wanting to be disastrously unlucky, in which case there are other signs, but I don't understand why you'd want to shore up our weakness completely, as it would just make us average at everything, and ultimately a whole lot less interesting. The bad luck is part of the character, and we ought to embrace it to a certain extent.

I somewhat agree which is why my first choice is Pig. I don't mind having poor luck, but I'm not too keen on the levels of luck I imagine would come with 0, 1, or 2 in the stat. Plus I'm not too interested in playing the personality described for the Dragon Adjutant, hence my willingness to flop.

My choices are 1. Pig 2. Horse 3. Rabbit, as long as we beat Dragon or Tiger. Although, I'd much rather play a rogue than any of the adjutants. :( Damn you Codex!

m4davis

Scholar
Flopping to rabbit to help avoid dragon and tiger at all cost plus what treave said about bipolar luck is very interesting to me

Baltika9

Arcane
Bah, the Dragon is a true :obviously: Chinese gentleman, a well-rounded character of many talents. A true swiss-army knife he is, useful in many situations.

How is this less interesting than a rabbit with bipolar luck?

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
All-rounders are a bit boring. I'd rather play someone with an obvious flaw or two.

Besides, Dragon and Tiger are giving off strong Ean vibes, and while it in itself is not a bad thing, people want change.

Tigranes

Arcane
The Ean vibe is what is drawing me away from Dragon, monocle as he may be.

Baltika9

Arcane
Dragon Adjutant
(STR – 7, PER – 7, END – 5, CHA – 6, INT – 7, AGI – 3, LUC – 3)
Strong, perceptive, charismatic and intelligent, the gifted Dragon Adjutant is able to apply himself well to most tasks. He is a proud creature, constantly conducting himself in a dignified manner. However, his natural clumsiness and poor luck tends to detract slightly from that noble image in the eyes of others.*
Sounds nothing like Ean, really. Ean had a blue-collar "get shit done" vibe, kinda like an intelligent and educated farmer, mixed with the Tiger. The Dragon is a sophisticated gentleman that will have multiple avenues of approach available to him, social analytic and martial.
All-rounders are a bit boring. I'd rather play someone with an obvious flaw or two.
The Dragon's flaws are these: he is rather clumsy, with his agility malus, and he still has piss-poor luck and also mediocre endurance. We just had a fourteen month long LP where our approach was just "ah, fuck it, YOLO!"
A character that requires thought and foresight, on account of his shitty luck, will be a welcome change of pace. I'm against a rabbit, since the playstyle will demand taking chances, and we'll have a fifty/fifty on fucking up or succeeding.

Andyman is a good alternative, though.

Nevill

Arcane
Strong, perceptive, charismatic and intelligent...
Sounds nothing like Ean, really. Ean had a blue-collar "get shit done" vibe, kinda like an intelligent and educated farmer, mixed with the Tiger. The Dragon is a sophisticated gentleman that will have multiple avenues of approach available to him, social analytic and martial.
Sounds pretty Ean-ish. More of the nobility (meh), less of the 'hands-on' approach, but still.

A character that requires thought and foresight, on account of his shitty luck, will be a welcome change of pace. I'm against a rabbit, since the playstyle will demand taking chances, and we'll have a fifty/fifty on fucking up or succeeding.
Why do you think that rabbit playstyle is more luck dependant, and will require less foresight? With his demeanor, he will not last long in the court if he does not think ahead at least a little bit. With bipolar luck, you can't depend on it to always carry you through.

Baltika9

Arcane
Strong, perceptive, charismatic and intelligent...
Sounds pretty Ean-ish. More of the nobility (meh), less of the 'hands-on' approach, but still.
How so? Honestly, I'm not seeing it.
Why do you think that rabbit playstyle is more luck dependent and will require less foresight? With his demeanor, he will not last long in the court if he does not think ahead at least a little bit. With bipolar luck, you can't depend on it to always carry you through.
Because it's a real "social butterfly" character: he's got some smarts and perception, but mostly charisma. He's rather low on strength and doesn't have a lot of potential in combat skills. So when it comes to combat, we'll be stacking up our advantages and hoping for the best. Yeah, he can persuade some bros to come along, but so can the Dragon, who is also better at combat than the rabbit is (strength+perception combination is rather high, so we're in a rather good position with him).
Also, our adjutant bro isn't real nobility, so we'll be a sophisticated gentleman outplaying (or trying to) the real nobility at their own game. How often does a duke of high birth get his ass schooled by an adopted urchin?

Kipeci

Arcane
Rabbit's even worse than dragon.

I hate to do this, but I'll flop to dragon to keep rabbit from winning.

Nevill

Arcane
How so? Honestly, I'm not seeing it.
Strong, charismatic, intelligent - these are key traits. There are only so much variations they allow for the character development.

I suppose that not caring much for being :obviously: (blasphemy, I know) does not help me see Dragon as a superior choice either.

Because it's a real "social butterfly" character: he's got some smarts and perception, but mostly charisma. He's rather low on strength and doesn't have a lot of potential in combat skills. So when it comes to combat, we'll be stacking up our advantages and hoping for the best.
How about avoiding fighting in the first place, seeing as that is explicitly stated as something the character shies away from? Or turning tail and trying to resolve the situation later through other means? This is pretty different from what was done before.

It is not D&D, not everything is going to be about combat stats. I hope. :)

Ifeex

Augur
Damnit treave, I had to make an account thanks to your writing skills! By the way, Epic was a great read.

Voting for Dragon.

Baltika9

Arcane
How about avoiding fighting in the first place, seeing as that is explicitly stated as something the character shies away from? Or turning tail and trying to resolve the situation later through other means? This is pretty different from what was done before.
In a martial arts LP? Good luck with that. What's the point of pacifist-running this?
Strong, charismatic, intelligent - these are key traits. There are only so much variations they allow for the character development.
Those are traits, they don't define a character. A strong, charismatic and intelligent dude can be a wise and just king, or he can be a complete dick like Dio. The Dragon sounds like a stuck-up dude with a stick up his ass (hopefully, with some upper-class wit to go with it. I want to sass every figure of authority we come across. Including the Emperor), but that doesn't detract from his traits.
I suppose that not caring much for being :obviously: (blasphemy, I know) does not help me see Dragon as a superior choice either.
To each his own.
Comissar.png

ScubaV

Prophet
Come True Bros, rally to the PIG! We don't have to be stuck with something it feels like we just played (Dragon) or the meek and weak (Rabbit). Get selfish! Get lazy! Get Codexian with the PIG and just say no to popamole dragons.

Baltika9

Arcane
I'd like to point out that, of all the characters, the Pig is most likely to neglect proper nail trimming and is more likely to die of a gangrenous toenail.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
It is not D&D, not everything is going to be about combat stats. I hope. :)

Not everything is going to be about combat, but combat is a highly important part of the setting. That said, martial arts is also a way for the weak to protect themselves from the strong. Learning the proper techniques will allow the Rabbit to hold his own against a superior oppponent. Of course, running away or attempting to talk your way out of it is viable, but not at all times. It is entirely possible to get into situations where you are forced to fight, whether as a consequence of a choice or just ill luck. It does not mean that as the Rabbit, all your fights are unwinnable.

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
The Dreaded Dragon-Rabbit

(STR – 5, PER – 7, END – 5, CHA – 8, INT – 7, AGI – 3, LUC – 6)

The Dragon-Rabbit is a dangerous creature of contradictions. He is proud and prickly, yet he is also warm-hearted and kind. He is elegant yet clumsy. He can be brutally honest to others, yet constantly dishonest about his own feelings. He shies away from confrontations, yet if his hand is forced, he can be the most merciless killer alive. Born under an unlucky star yet delivered at the conjunction of two lucky signs, his fate consists of small blessings of fortune punctuated by tragic disasters. Despite hiding his cuddly nature under a stand-offish shell, the contradictory nature of the Dragon-Rabbit exudes an irresistible charisma. Truly, the Dragon-Rabbit is something to be feared and respected.

aka if you guys don't sort it out I'll force a goddamn tsundere down your throats. :troll:

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
SOLD!
Edit: bonus if it's a chick.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom