Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Kipeci

Arcane
Why does everyone think we wouldn't be able to attend the Huashan summit if we got married? Getting married will not lock us in a room for the next forty years. Surely the Tibetans want their princess to be married to as strong and recognized of a martial artist if possible? If not, why would they bother with this tournament?

Esquilax

Arcane
Sometimes the most important thing is to realize that you can not do everything, pick the things that are most important and focus on them. In this case I would say that is Shun's investigation and Yunzi.

To be fair, if we were to win the competition and marry into her family, that would help Shun immensely, especially given that very few people know of our ties to the Emperor. Only Yunzi here is aware, and she wouldn't snitch on us. However, I'm just not willing to go that far.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
It's just a title. Of course I want to try and win it but not so much that I want to pass a possible kingdom for it.

Anabanana

Augur
Yeah, the whole tournament just sounds like a diplomatic disaster waiting to happen. Let's not go chase after a princess when Jing has little to no interest of settling down with her.

“…I’m not that irresponsible… you’ve already claimed that spot…”

If Jing is reluctant, we shouldn't force him into marriages that he doesn't personally want.

I also agree with that Codex isn't going to throw any matches and that our interests are going to be divided if we marry - it's easy to say that OH YEAH we'll totes betray them when it comes down to it - I don't think it's going to be that easy. Also, the tournament participants are no-name disciples that we don't recognize. Given that we know most of the strongest young pugilists of our generation, I think we can probably safely skip the match (even if there are any new rising stars amongst them, we can always get acquainted later) and conserve the full force of our strength for a worthwhile opponent.

Like the prince, for example.

If we REALLY must indulge in trollin' we can do so by showing up suddenly at the EXHIBITION match. Just imagine Yunzi just chilling out, having a good time, when suddenly BOOM Man Tiger Pig. It'll be great!

(No seriously we should check out the prince)

BA3

With that said, it'll be interesting to see how this marriage plays out if A does win and Jing doesn't dump her to have more jianghu adventures at the first opportunity. It's true that with our connections to the palace, marrying the princess could put us in a good position to dig up information on Tufan activities. Being betrothed to her seems like it would severely curtail our freedom of movement in general though; I really don't think Jing is ready to marry at this age. Even if we don't win the tournament, it could put us in a good position to manipulate a contestant we prefer into the spot. Besides, given our inability to speak the local language and the limited Han literacy of the local population, we might not be able to find out as much as we would like, and winning the tournament would give us an on-going source of intel. Then again, there's a reason treave gave the population some Han literacy, keeping a low profile and snooping around anonymously COULD help us figure out things that the prince wouldn't reveal to a Han, instead of having our information filtered through the palace/upper class people, which would likely be our source of information if we married the Princess.

And after we have talked to Yunzi we figure we want to participate? It'll be too late then. Join the tournament under alias, talk to Yunzi, drop out the tournament if needed.
Exactly. It can be done this way. It is impossible to do it the other way. Which is why I think we should grab the chance.

Eh, we can always knock out some random participant and take part under his name, if it comes down to that.

Last edited:

Fangshi

Arcane
Esquilax said:
To be fair, if we were to win the competition and marry into her family, that would help Shun immensely, especially given that very few people know of our ties to the Emperor. Only Yunzi here is aware, and she wouldn't snitch on us. However, I'm just not willing to go that far.

It could sure. It would depend on just how clever, cautious and skilled the Prince is but we know nothing about him yet. We would be trying to manipulate these people and if they turn out to be really likable I am not sure everyone will want to go through with the inevitable betrayal, though who knows he might die and we become prince or something. We just lack too much information to make an informed decision here so I would prefer to play it safe is all.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
And who knows, we might not even win this tournament (although my first thought about the matches were Zhang fighting the nippon's heir to throne).

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Anabanana said:
Yeah, the whole tournament just sounds like a diplomatic disaster waiting to happen. Let's not go chase after a princess when Jing has little to no interest of settling down with her.
Funny how everyone jumps on 1A being OMG MARRIAGE bandwagon, and only Jing thinks it is about the competition itself:
A. You register in the competition. You’ll decide what to do when you win, though you really aren’t keen on marrying any princesses. Being a competitor might get you access to various sources of information that you would not find otherwise… but truthfully, you just really want to test your skills against someone who is not Master Zhang.

Jing is not reluctant, he is absolutely eager to test himself... but the Dex' is afraid of trouble of unknown origin.
Anabanana said:
B. You do not register in the competition. This is not what you are really here for, and the less trouble you get into, the better. Probably.

Yeah, that's very Jing.

Anabanana said:
Eh, we can always knock out some random participant and take part under his name, if it comes down to that.
Not with the disciples of Eight Sects knowing our face.

Tribute

Arbiter
I have to admit, showing up at the exhibition match and spontaneously turning that into the main event does have a certain appeal to it.

Nevill

Arcane
Anabanana said:
Also, the tournament participants are no-name disciples that we don't recognize. Given that we know most of the strongest young pugilists of our generation, I think we can probably safely skip the match (even if there are any new rising stars amongst them, we can always get acquainted later) and conserve the full force of our strength for a worthwhile opponent.
About that... they talk about the hand of the princess here, whose husband might be next in the line of succession to the throne.

Do you think there will only be no-name pugilists competing? It is about the throne! I bet the best fighters Tufan has to offer will come to fight here. Are you not interested in gauging their strength yourself?

Baltika9

Arcane
Do you think there will only be no-name pugilists competing? I bet the best fighters Tufan has to offer will come to compete here. Are you not interested in gauging their strenght yourself?
We can do that very comfortably from the sidelines, and preferably without showing them our stuff.

Nevill

Arcane
We can do that very comfortably from the sidelines, and preferably without showing them our stuff.
Yes, because watching from the sidelines is what Jing does best. Right.
And about showing our stuff. Please. Not this shit again.
Refer to what treave said about martial artists who are too afraid of showing their techniques.

Esquilax

Arcane
Yeah, that's very Jing.

If it's listed among the options, then it's very Jing.

Not with the disciples of Eight Sects knowing our face.

Actually if we go for the exhibition match with the Prince, we won't be beating someone up and showing our face:

Find a way to get into the exhibition match; Cao’er and Qilin should be able to whip up something that leaves a participant incapacitated, allowing you to sneakily take his place. It’ll be a good surprise for Yunzi. Should you have registered for the competition, however, it might be wiser to appear here under another identity…

Qilin will simply whip something up and we'll just go into the exhibition match. We have the Unarmed mastery to avoid killing the Prince, and we have the means for Yunzi to see us. Show off a bit of Kuanglang Step and a display of Shouwang Claws and she might recognize that it's us, though of course I'd prefer to simply come in unmasked, in all our glory.*

* Disclaimer: this could backfire badly. If people recognize us and see that the disciple of Zhang Jue is in a match against the Prince, they may simply think that we're there to kill him, which could land us in very deep shit. Perhaps we should have a mask on? A pig mask is out of the question though, as it seems to be the sort of thing that would be a grave insult to the Prince.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
Play it safe? When have we played it safe? When we pulled Operation Immortal? When we walked inside BDS fortress? When we went to talk to a mysterious man everyone else was avoiding? Or when we decided to not join a sect?

Baltika9

Arcane
Play it safe? When have we played it safe? When we pulled Operation Immortal? When we walked inside BDS fortress? When we went to talk to a mysterious man everyone else was avoiding? Or when we decided to not join a sect?
It's one thing to gamble with our life, it's another to gamble with a huge political incident that can cost either side a war. No, this is a sensitive political situation, ergo we must be careful.

Which is why I say "fuck Turfags, get Yunzi points."

Rex Feral

Prophet
If we go anonymously with a mask, we can always drop out later with no consequences at all.

Nevill

Arcane
Esquilax said:
Actually if we go for the exhibition match with the Prince, we won't be beating someone up and showing our face:
I know.

Anabanana said we can get back in the tournament if we skip the registration. No, we can't.

Fangshi

Arcane
Rex Feral said:
If we go anonymously with a mask, we can always drop out later with no consequences at all.

Only if we manage to stay anonymous, something we were unable to pull off in the last tournament we attended. Actually treave if we go through with this and sign up can we wear a mask under our mask? Just incase something happens like last time.

Esquilax

Arcane
It's just a title. Of course I want to try and win it but not so much that I want to pass a possible kingdom for it.

Kingdoms mean nothing to Lord Zhang, who is able to bring entire countries to ruin on his own. Or to Tulu Huodu, who can poison the Emperor if he really wanted to.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
How could we cause a diplomatic incident? Everyone, except Yunzi, thinks we are a just a lone fighter from central plains. They are going to declare war on maniac island?

Tribute

Arbiter
Yeah, a title as one of the directional Greats is a hell of a lot bigger deal than being a prince or a king.

Nevill

Arcane
It's one thing to gamble with our life, it's another to gamble with a huge political incident that can cost either side a war. No, this is a sensitive political situation, ergo we must be careful.
Master Zhang is disappointed with you. Both because you run away from a fight with their best combatants and because you are afraid of some 'incident'.

You don't have to cause it, you know. If you absolutely need to, you can drop out, or help another man win.

Baltika9

Arcane
How could we cause a diplomatic incident? Everyone, except Yunzi, thinks we are a just a lone fighter from central plains. They are going to declare war on maniac island?
"And in other news, yesterday the Turfan Kingdom officially committed suicide by Zhang Jue."

TOME

Cuckmaster General
Becoming an emperor wouldn't amuse Zhang? Impress wudu cult? Help Shun?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom