Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] 傳

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Aug 29, 2013.

1. TOME Cuckmaster General

TOME
    But I'm sure BROtiger will make up for it. After all he will be teaching his axe techniques to us before this is over.

^ Top  
  2. Rex Feral Liturgist

Rex Feral
    This City. This fucking city.

Oh well...

What can a man do, but be true to his friends?

A

^ Top  
  3. asxetos Augur

asxetos
    You can defend this fucker all you want but i firmly believe he avoided the fight so that we wouldnt mess him and his 100 men up. That would ruin his daddy's plans.

^ Top  
  4. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    We should move the Fire Temple to Youxia City and restore order here, turning it into the center of the unorthodox world.
    :troll:

^ Top  
  5. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    You go on a quite ok investigation, your nominal superior heads out to have a talk with the grand poobah of the city while you (try) to munch on this delicious duck during a quite fascinating bar brawl and attempt to talk with a pretty, inteligent girl and suddently the sole guy holding the town together is dead, your superior is in jail and there's 3k angry soldiers coming over to fuck up everybody's shit.

Also there's no more duck.

Why do we keep coming here...?

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  6. Tribute Arbiter

Tribute
    Nah, we need to turn Youxia city back into a city for youxia instead of bandits and thugs.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Tribute Arbiter

Tribute
    Technically you don't ever lose your obligation toward your shifu. He'll always be your teacher-father.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Kipeci Arcane

Kipeci
    We'll still his disciple, but now the average person messing with Jing will be able to realize that he goofed from Jing telling them his name without having to append 'the apprentice of the Southern Maniac' to it, which is a relatively recent development if I recall correctly.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Tribute Arbiter

Tribute
    Yeah, I agree with you there. I just thought you were implying that he considered his obligation toward his master over or something with the "his own man" thing, which is not how that society works. Hell, he still treats Yao with the proper respect and deference because the old man was his first teacher, even though Zhang Jue has been his shifu for years.

If it's just "I don't feel the need to piggyback on my master's accomplishments", then yeah, that's definitely a sign of him maturing as a martial artist. I am amused that "Man Tiger Pig" is his go-to name even as a martial arts master and one of the most terrifying men in the jianghu though.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
    ^ Top  
  10. Grimgravy Augur Patron

Grimgravy
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    A

Leaving now seems wasteful. We have a lead and there are important goings on here.

^ Top  
  11. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Eh, if it's going to be that unanimous...

Here, have a quick, short update.

Youxia City Investigations

In the end, it appears that your nose could not refrain from poking itself into the case.

“It appears that you are a genuine constable,” says the man with the well-trimmed beard. He tosses the emblem back at Fu Xia, who almost fumbles it. “Very well,” he continues, “we will give our cooperation. Still, I cannot help but wonder… what is that man doing here? I did not know that the Imperial Constabulary had any connections with the infamous Man Tiger Pig.”

You give him a grin, though it is not reciprocated.

“Will it be a problem, Zheng Fan?” asks Lady Suien.

Zheng’s head turns slowly from side to side. “No, not at all. I was just curious. On behalf of Youxia City, as custodians of Master Du’s legacy, we hereby extend to you all rights necessary to investigate the incident of his murder. Within reason, of course.” He stands up, open palm over closed fist in the traditional salute before giving a slight bow. His fellow lieutenants nod and follow suit, each as well-dressed as he is.

“Well, that went better than expected!” says Fu Xia relievedly when the three of you are safely back at the inn. Qilin and the girls are waiting for you inside one of the rooms. As you explain the situation to them, Lady Suien rolls out a large piece of paper over the table. “Less idle talk, more work. Get started.”

With a sigh, Fu Xia prepares ink and a brush, and begins drawing and writing. “Alright, Xu Jing, you are new to this, so listen closely,” he says. “We need to establish procedures. Things to examine. Places to investigate. People to question. So…”

It looks like he has divided up the investigation into several tasks:

1. Inspection of Du Yao’s corpse, currently on ice inside his mansion.
    2. Questioning of Du Yao’s daughter, who was the first to find Jiang Zheng and her father.
    3. Questioning of the mansion’s help – the common servants.
    4. Questioning of Du Yao’s staff – his lieutenants, guards, and other people related to his business activities.
    5. Investigation of the mansion and its grounds for any clues.
    6. General investigation of the city for any rumours and leads that can be linked back to the death.
    7. Search for Xiaofang, the eunuch constable who is still missing.

Fu Xia finishes the last line with a flourish. “I think this is enough for today,” he says.

“Hm, you forgot something,” you point out.

He looks puzzled, but Lady Suien nods and chastises him firmly. “We need to question Chief Jiang too.”

“B-but… it’s the chief. There's no need to-”

“Rule nothing out.”

Grumbling, Fu Xia adds another task to the list: the questioning of Chief Constable Jiang Zheng.

The constables have requested your aid in the investigation. There are, in total, seven of you:

A. Xu Jing
    B. Chi Qilin
    C. Cao'er
    D. Yifang
    E. Song Lingshu
    F. Lady Suien
    G. Fu Xia​

There are eight tasks to carry out today:

1. Inspection of Du Yao’s corpse, currently on ice inside his mansion.
    2. Questioning of Du Yao’s daughter, who was the first to find Jiang Zheng and her father.
    3. Questioning of the mansion’s help – the common servants.
    4. Questioning of Du Yao’s staff – his lieutenants, guards, and other people related to his business activities.
    5. Investigation of the mansion and its grounds for any clues.
    6. General investigation of the city for any rumours and leads that can be linked back to the death.
    7. Search for Xiaofang, the eunuch constable who is still missing.
    8. Questioning of Jiang Zheng, the chief constable who is being held in prison.​

Lady Suien tells you that you should know your companions' abilities better than she does, and asks you to decide the assignments. On her part, she says that she is not too fond of talking to people. She also tells you that Fu Xia is more proficient at talking to people in the pugilistic community.

Given the timeframe and workload, it would be possible to assign one person to two tasks, and it is possible that you might achieve better results by having more than one person working on the same assignment, though in some cases it might also be beneficial to have only one person involved.

You wonder how you should divide up the tasks...

Make votes for each category: A, B, C, etc.

A1,2 would mean character A is assigned to tasks one and two.

You are limited to selecting a maximum two tasks per character. You can opt to not vote for any tasks for the character, in which case they'll do their own thing.

All counts will be tallied and the two highest-scoring tasks for each character will be selected. If any single task has an overwhelming majority of votes (80% of the total count) for any particular character, compared to the other options, it will be selected as the only task that character undertakes.

There will be no conditional votes for this update.

Vote Tally (open)

A. Xu Jing
    2 - 1111
    3 - 111
    4 - 111
    5 - 1
    7 - 1111111111111
    8 - 11111111111111

B. Chi Qilin
    2 - 111111111111
    3 - 11111
    4 - 111
    6 - 1111111111111
    7 - 11
    8 - 111

C. Cao'er
    1 - 11111111111111111111
    3 - 1
    5 - 1111111111111111111

D. Yifang
    1 - 1
    2 - 11111111
    3 - 1111111111
    4 - 1
    6 - 11111
    7 - 111111111
    8 - 111

E. Song Lingshu
    2 - 1111111111111
    3 - 1111111111
    4 - 1
    6 - 11
    7 - 111111111
    8 - 1111

F. Lady Suien
    1 - 111111111111
    5 - 11111111111111111111
    7 - 11111
    8 - 111

G. Fu Xia
    2 - 111
    3 - 1111111111
    4 - 1111111111111111
    6 - 11111111
    7 - 111

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 7
    ^ Top  
  12. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    There goes our harmony. :lol:

Cao'er is the obvious pick for the corpse and investigating the manor, while Qilin and Cao'er should go together to find the eunuch with Yifang as backup, this is a rough city.

Jing and Fu Xia can form a great 'good cop-bad cop' duo for questioning the bodyguards and staff.
    Keep the man away from Commissioner Gordon, though, the guy has a serious case pf hero worship.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. kazgar Arcane

kazgar
    Suien and Caoer should do the inspection, the constables seem to have a great knowledge of techniques used by various people (so could pin the other murders on jinkeng) which Caoer may not have.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. kazgar Arcane

kazgar
    First pass:

A7,8
    B6,8
    C1,5
    D3,4
    E3,4
    F1,5
    G2,6

edit: reasoning:

Finding source of murder is most important, sending best scholar and best medical person is useful (C+F1) But also the most likely source of clues is the manor, so best scholar and most perceptive is also useful (C+F5)

We'd be best going solo to find Xiaofang as sneak/movement skills in the city are pretty good. We should also interview Jiang as we're not linked to constables, but should be someone else there, Qilin's a good choice cos she's more worldly than most of the others involved.

Yifang and Song are given the tasks to do the general evidence gathering, getting the bulk of people to talk, they're friendly, yet thorough enough.

The other Constable should wander the city using his decective skills, but may have it hard to make people talk, which is why Qilin joins him, and finally Fu also talks to the daughter mainly just to cover that task. (and may have a good bullshit detector but i'm uncertain)

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    treave, how well do Fu Xia and Lady Suien know Xiaofang? His habits and preferences?

^ Top  
  16. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Should we pair Cao'er with Lady Suien?

Cao'er for the corpse and ground investigation, Chi Qilin for city rumors (she did just that at Qingcheng, and it worked out perfectly), Jing for questioning Du Yao's daugher and servants (again, he did that at Qingcheng) - Fu Xia should join questioning the staff.

I don't quite know whom to assign to Xiaofang and questioning Jiang Zheng himself, though. Maybe Jing should look for the eunuch instead of talking to people?

^ Top  
  17. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    The two have nothing much to say about Xiaofang. Suien doesn't seem interested in the personal life of her colleagues, but she does tell you he's good at charming other men with his helpless look. Fu Xia says he knows nothing, but also adds that Xiaofang sometimes does work for the eunuchs too, though he's sure it is minor stuff that doesn't harm the constables. The chief would know more, presumably.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Nevill, I think Suien and Jimg would make a good pair for the Commissioner. Suien isn't placing him on a pedestal so personal feelings won't get in the way of hef questions, while Jing is there for his interpersonal skills.

As for Xiaofang, I'm thinking Qilin for her street smarts, Cao'er for the broken PER and Yifang or Jing for extra muscle, because Youxia is a rough place.
    Also, I don't want to leave Lingshu without any supervision during our stay here due to her repressed nyphomania. Keep Yifang with her at all times.

^ Top  
  19. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Hm, do you get relationship points for the harem depending on who you go with?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Who knows.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. kazgar Arcane

kazgar
    :2/5:

Good try though, I think the number of options has Baltika focused on the job at hand.

^ Top  
  22. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
  23. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Suien has an exceptional perception, not unlike Cao'er, but she also has an experience to back it up. I don't expect to get much out of questioning Zheng, though. It is highly unlikely for him to be the perpetrator, all things considered.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Tribute Arbiter

Tribute
    This is a pretty terrifying array of options. Why is Jing being trusted with deciding all of this?

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  25. Kipeci Arcane

Kipeci
    treave What does 'their own thing' mean? Do they gravitate towards the option that they prefer personally, or nothing at all?

By character:

A 3,7 - Jing seems to get on with basically all the servants he's come across rather well, they very well may have noticed something... or if they're in on something, Jing's great charisma and speech skill can get something out of them. It goes without saying that he's the ideal candidate to rescue any cute maidens eunuchs, of course.

B 4,6 - Qilin's just so useful it's hard to decide where to put her. She has hands down the best speech skill, probably some measure of contacts in the area and enough eventual clout that people are going to want to be on her good side. She'll probably be able to get any information out of the guards if need be and hit the town for some useful hints, if anyone can draw them out it's her.

C 1,5 - These options involve examining the corpse, Cao'er's forte, and noticing things, which she's also great at. The rest of the options involve more investigating or talking, the former of which seems probably okay at but the latter of which... eh.

D 8 - See below

E 8 - It's really for the best not to have the two of them poking around this city or a disturbance is going to happen. I also think that their preoccupation with justice will complicate things if they try to talk with the servants and so on, having them interview Jiang Zheng is about a safe as option as we can get for them aside from investigating the mansion (they're not really known for their skills in that so I'd rather that they don't accidentally destroy evidence or something) and we might even get something out of it, if nothing else than a straight version of his side of the events.

F 1,5 - We don't want her talking to people. I'll put her down for 1,5 so that she can supplement Cao'er with investigative knowledge.

G 2,3 - Another rather useful character for his gregariousness, I put him down for 2,3 so that he can play good cop/bad cop with Jing as well as talking to the daughter, since that base needs to be covered. Finishing up the talk with the servants with Jing will allow him to divert more time to find Xiaofang.

---

I can only guess that this means that treave hates our harmonious voting, but at least preferential votes are barred. The more options we have the stupider the choices that we make, so let's brace ourselves for the inevitable butthurt.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.