Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] 傳

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    We can combine. Break the news about out Firelordship to her, then leniently pat her on the head.

God, the trolling possibilities, they are endless!

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  2. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    The key to being Xu Jing. I approve.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. TOME Cuckmaster General

TOME
    I've also been rereading updates and I noticed this bit.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  4. head patting: anime for "I would normally do something perverted right now, but you're >12, so uh..."

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Kipeci Arcane

Kipeci
    Gotta save the pervy stuff for the lolis, right?

^ Top  
  6. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    *sigh* Cao'er was so cute when she was a loli.

treave promised us that all we would have to do is to keep our promise and she would be nice and shy. WHY ISN'T SHE NICE AND SHY?! :negative:

^ Top  
  7. Jester Arbiter

Jester
    hmm Shibata Katsuie will contact you about it. He wish to be main protagonist.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Elfberserker Liturgist

Elfberserker

Too many abandonment points bro. First we got snatched by southern maniac and then we ditched her when we were doing operation immortal.

Frankly I am surprised that she hasn't castrated us yet.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  9. Rex Feral Liturgist

Rex Feral
    Where's the update? :M

^ Top  
  10. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Follow Up

When you move your hand to snatch the plate of duck, Yunzi reacts accordingly. She grabs your wrist and reaches for the duck with her other hand, but with a light twist your hand slips through her grasp. You swat her palm away and nab the plate, pulling it from the petrified waiter. Grinning, you spin the plate on one finger as the duck rocks to and fro.

“Oh?” Yunzi gives you a fierce smile, rolling up her sleeves. “Is this supposed to be a challenge?”

You laugh. “Hey, if you want the duck, come and get it! If you can.”

With a yell, Yunzi leaps at you, her eyes pinned tightly on the roast fowl. Holding the plate out of her reach, you fend off her grabs with one hand. The swiftness of her movements forces you to retreat; you leap onto the table behind you and she follows suit. You move nimbly around the plates of food, hopping and stepping backwards as Yunzi’s moves speed up. She ducks and spins to the left; you respond, but realize too late that it is a feint. Swerving to the right, she catches you off guard and reaches to the right. Her fingers almost touch the plate – you jerk your hand away in a hurry and make a misstep. The tip of your boot catches on a bowl of soup, up-ending it over another patron.

Letting out an offended roar, he attempts to grab at your legs. You leap away, causing his arm to strike a woman across the face.

Her husband is not pleased.

Another brawl erupts, but you have no time to admire the chaos as Yunzi is upon you again. Descending from above, she kicks at your plate-holding hand. The impact causes the plate to fly into the air, sending the duck up together with it. You manage to catch the plate, but she steps on your shoulder and jumps off, reaching for her goal as she laughs triumphantly.

Before she can even lay a finger on the duck, a dozen crimson silk strings wrap around the bird’s body. They retract, reeling in the duck towards Qilin’s ready fingers. Her eyes are wide with glee.

The strings snap.

Another turban-wearing person cuts through the silk with bare hands – the Amesha Spenta, Armaiti – and grabs at the duck.

You throw the plate at her hand. It misses by a good few feet and breaks on a distant wall, but your move distracts Armaiti long enough for you to close the distance and snatch the duck back. Swinging it by a well-cooked, tender thigh, you duck under Yunzi’s punch, but find yourself cornered by Armaiti. Maiden and Amesha Spenta attack simultaneously from both sides. Your hand blurs in a quick, dexterous movement – they manage to grab your wrists, but find no duck in either palm.

Yunzi frowns, taking a second to realize what you did. “Up!” she shouts as she raises her head, watching the duck soar up towards the ceiling in its last flight. Taking advantage of the distraction, you break their hold before they can jump and thrust your arms out, your fingers grabbing at the chests of the two women. As you expected, they react immediately to protect their chastity, leaving you free to go after the duck in victory; it should fall back into your waiting arms any moment now.

It’s not there.

You land lightly on the third floor, looking around at the panicking customers, but the duck is nowhere to be seen at first glance.

Then, you spot a short, dirty girl leaping down from the second floor, with what looks like a duck’s wing poking out from between the front of her clothes. “She’s got it!” you shout out as you jump down after her. “That girl!” It takes a while for your companions to react, and that difference is all the thief needs to make it out of the restaurant. Yunzi rushes out while you follow close behind, but it is too late. Given the dinner-time crowd on the streets, it would be nearly impossible to find that girl. The both of you go back into Xinchun dejectedly.

“This is entirely your fault,” growls Yunzi as she glares at you.

“Maybe you shouldn’t have tried to take our duck,” you retort.

“Oh, don’t worry,” sighs Qilin. “I laced the duck with a poison through the strings.”

“You… what?” Yunzi stares at her. Qilin gives her a mischievous grin in return. “You didn’t really think I was going to let anyone else have it without a little gift, did you?” Looking at everyone’s pale expressions, she puts a hand to her mouth in mock surprise. “Oh dear, worry not! It isn’t anything lethal. Just… uncomfortable.”

The meal progresses relatively uneventfully after the brawl ends, sans duck.

You do hear something surprising from Yunzi, however.

“You are… gathering the Ashina?”

“I am sending out word to any of my scattered folk that I am alive, and that they should gather at the temple… don’t worry, I’m not planning some sort of invasion. Not yet, anyway… though I will have to make sure Ahura does not catch wind of my plans,” she replies calmly as she takes a few sips of tea.

You shake your head. “I didn’t know you planned this. I thought you were just touring the country.”

“I was planning to do only that, but I met with that woman shortly after I left Tufan.” Yunzi frowns as she recalls her encounter. “She was the one that gave me the various locations of my people and encouraged me to contact them again.”

“What woman?”

“Oh, sorry, I didn’t tell you about it? The woman I refer to is a very beautiful woman; definitely enough to turn your head. She called herself Lady Ji, so I thought she was a member of royalty… she certainly had the stature befitting one,” says Yunzi. “She was the one that guided me to that… that mansion with the toad the last time. I must have forgotten to tell you about it.” She makes a wry smile and continues, “So, what are you doing here, Xu Jing?”

A. You tell her about the current situation and ask for her help with the investigation.

B. You tell her about the current situation but do not ask for her help with the investigation.

C. You tell her nothing about the current situation, making up a suitable excuse for your presence.

1. You tell her about what happened at the Fire Temple.

2. You don’t tell her about what happened at the Fire Temple.

“Jing,” says Qilin sweetly later that night. She marches into the room with the girl who stole the duck in her grasp, tied up in crimson silk. You look at them, at a loss for words.

“The duck-thief came knocking at our door looking for a cure to some nasty laxatives,” smiles Qilin. “What a stroke of good luck.”

“You are still not getting that duck back, unless you want to eat watery shit,” hisses the dirty girl, who looks to be about twelve and reminds you of the first time you met Cao’er… though this one definitely talks more.

“Quite the mouth on you, you brat.” Qilin is smiling, but you can sense the anger boiling off of her.

“Brat? You’re the brat here!” exclaims the girl. “Who would poison such heavenly duck?”

“If I didn’t, I wouldn’t be able to teach some dirty urchin thief some lessons now, would I?”

“Qilin,” you interrupt, “Why did you bring her here?” You think she could have handled it by herself, if it was just a case of duck thievery.

“Oh, I almost forgot. She asked specifically to meet you.”

“You?” You look at the dirty girl, and she looks back at you with her large eyes.

“In fact,” continues Qilin, an uncharacteristic nervousness coming into her expression, “she asked specifically to meet with the one-eyed boy who is practicing Wuxiang Qiankun.”

You freeze up – how could she have known that? You did not use even a hint of it in the little argument over the duck.

“You are like an open book, boy,” sneers the girl.

“How did you… who are you-“

The girl laughs haughtily, managing to fold her arms even while tied up. “Bow before me and perhaps I might answer your questions!” Examining her by sight, you find nothing strange about her: she appears to be a perfectly normal – if really unkempt – twelve year-old girl with only the slightest training in martial arts.

You sit back and close your eye.

The girl lets out a puzzled “Eh?”

“Is that all you need from me? A simple, single bow, and you answer all my questions?”

“W-well… maybe if you feed me from now on?” she ventures with an awkward little grin. “It’s a hassle finding food without servants.” You get the feeling that this is the real reason for this strange little girl to approach you…

A. Agree to her terms – you allow her to be a part of your retinue. If she requires that you give her a single bow, that’s not too much of a price to pay.

B. You reject her terms – if she does not want to tell you without setting conditions, you do not need to listen. You have your pride.

C. You reject her terms… and silence the girl. She knows too much.

“Poison.”

Cao’er’s verdict is conclusive.

“It was very fast-acting poison that stopped his heart. He would have been dead within seconds of penetration,” says Qilin. “I am not familiar with the type of poison used, so it’s definitely something not commonly seen in the Central Plains.

“Were they delivered by the needles?” asks Lady Suien.

“Most likely… but there was something strange about the puncture wounds…” mutters Cao’er. “…it might not be actual needles…” She does not seem to be able to confirm anything else, however.

“Is there anything else you discovered by opening up Du Yao’s body?” you ask.

Cao’er nods. “…yes. The body was put on ice so I did not notice it at first… but there are traces of a cold yin qi left within it.”

Lady Suien falls deep in thought. “…poison… cold…” After a while, she shakes her head and says, “There might be something here, but I will need to consult my books. We have only two more days left before the garrison commander arrives… we will need results by then.”

“Given that the sword wound on Du Yao’s body matches that of a constable’s sword, I think we need to find Xiaofang as soon as possible,” you say.

“Surely none of us could have done it!” exclaims Fu Xia. “Someone else might have forged a sword of similar dimensions.”

“Fu Xia is right,” says Lady Suien. “Still, we cannot rule anything out.”

He looks despondent and says, “Well, I just don’t want to suspect my friends, Lady Suien.”

“Rule nothing out,” she repeats firmly. “I believe you have to continue gathering information in light of what we already know. Get to work.”

Fu leaves with an apologetic bow, followed by the others. He closes the door behind him, leaving you and Lady Suien alone in the room.

“So, what do you think?” she asks.

“About?”

“Fu Xia and Xiaofang. Which of them do you suspect? Given the circumstances, it is likely either one or both of them. They are the only constables that do not have an alibi during Du Yao's death, if we rule out Chief Jiang.”

You chuckle. “You’re a rather cold woman, aren’t you? What type of question is that?”

She stares at you from under her long eyelashes. “It is my work.”

“Well, if you suspect them, what should we do?”

“I would say we have two options. Let Fu Xia go free for now, and gather more evidence in the meantime… or take him in and interrogate him.”

“What about Xiaofang?”

“Of course, we also need to find him as soon as possible. We should devote the rest of our resources to tracking him down… he will be able to answer many of our questions.”

A. You are in favour of letting Fu Xia go free until you have more evidence to work with. If he is innocent, you would be hurting him, while if he is guilty, you might be tipping him off by acting too quickly.

B. You are in favour of taking Fu Xia into custody. He has been acting suspiciously, and by letting him go free you think he would have greater chances of sabotaging the investigation. It would be wiser to capture and interrogate him as soon as possible.

Vote Tally (open)

Rex Feral - A1AA
    Baltika9 - A1AA
    Tribute - Ax>BxAB
    Fangshi - A1AA
    Nevill - A2AA
    archaen - B2BA
    Absinthe - A1AB
    XenomorphII - A1CA
    Lambchop19 - A2AB
    Kipeci - B1AA
    TOME - A1xA
    Kz3r0 - A1AB
    Akkudakku - A1AB
    ScubaV - A1AA
    asxetos - A1AA
    Esquilax - B1AA
    Smashing Axe - B1C>BB
    Tigranes - B2AA
    profreshinal - A1xA
    Jester - B1AA
    a bear named spigot - B1AB
    Elfberserker - x1BA
    Grimgravy - A2>A1AA

A1 - 11
    A2 - 3
    B1 - 5
    B2 - 2

A - 16
    B - 2
    C - 2

A - 15
    B - 7

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 7
    ^ Top  
  11. Rex Feral Liturgist

Rex Feral
    A1AA

Might flop later to something else after hearing some arguments.

^ Top  
  12. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    A1> A2, I'd rather we be straight-up with Yunzi here and work together with her openly (inter-personally speaking) to sttengthen the Temple. At the very least, she can stop trying to conceal her call for the Ashina with Ahura dead.

A, having such a good spy/thief follow us around would be awesome.

A

^ Top  
  13. Tribute Arbiter

Tribute
    A1Ax>A2Ax. I'll fill in the last vote later once I've decided which ones I like best.

I can't shake the feeling that this girl might be the Child Immortal or something.

^ Top  
  14. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    A 1, might as well try and add them to the group, each of them is almost as good as Jing so it would make us far more formidable. Also if she is trying to organize something with her tribe it would be good for her to know that she does not have to worry about Ahura anymore. I would prefer to work with her than hide things from her. If we are going to be running this cult, may as well do it together.

A, I would not trust her but what she is asking for does not seem unreasonable. Jing is not an overly prideful individual and the girl might know something.

A, He may just be incompetent, though I do think he is involved somehow, so I would prefer some actual evidence before we start torturing the man.

A1, A, A

Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    All right.

A2AA.

I am not in favor of telling Yunzi what happened. Partly because I want to surprise her, but partly because I want to keep her with us and in no hurry to return to the temple. I think if this information becomes critical to either of us, we would be able to disclose it later.

I believe the girl might be one of the immortals. To forfeit a chance to make another one of them your acquaintance and to partake of their knowledge because of a pride would be foolish.

I am all for letting Fu Xia go for now. I strongly suspect him, but I think if he is guilty, he will lead us to his superiors eventually. Just keep an eye on him at all times.

Oh, and the news about Ashina? This is more than I could have dreamed of. Lady Ji is truly a benevolent figure - she got us and Qilin together, then she directed Yunzi to the mansion we decided to investigate (come to think of it, we never got an answer to the question what power brought us to the room Yunzi was in, did we?), and now, thanks to her, the tribe is starting to gather back together. Maybe we do have an ally among the Immortals, after all.

Well, a street urchin talking about her servants and the legendary manuals is not a common occurence.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. archaen Arbiter Patron

archaen
    I think we tell Yunzi about the situation but don't directly ask her to help. Yunzi wants a strong independent man and us asking for help seems weak. I say we keep the fire temple a secret for now as we are in Youxia and who knows if it is even possible to have a private conversation anywhere in the city.

I think the duck urchin is our immortal loli from the mountains deposed and forced to flee from her temple. She must have something like Cao'er's eyes and can see Yin and Yang coupled with the knowledge of the lost techniques. Lets have Ying bargain for food but not bow for now. She will most likely stay for food and we can work our trollfu luc1 crazy chick magnet head patting magic on her and get her to open up. Let's call it B1

I don't like tipping our hand on the suspicions. We should have someone watching Fua Xia.

I guess that puts my vote at B2B1A

^ Top  
  17. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    Lady Ji! I would love to add her to our harem, but I think she's so awesome its more likely she will add US to HER harem. :respec:

NOOOOOOOOOOO LOVELY DUCK WHY WE ARE KEPT APART! WILL THE GODS EVER KEEP US SEPARATE!!!

That girl creeps me out. Some young girl who knows we're using the WQS? She is either:
    1. A immortal.
    2. A goddess
    3. Someone of high-stature that just happens to see qi

I think she is probably a immortal.
    Not sure if we should bow to her, Xu Jing only bows to the Son of Heaven, and that's because he's our bro.

Not sure if we should tell Yunzi about what happened in the fire temple. Think of the Trolling, bros! On the other hand, Yunzi is probably going to feel a lot more alleviated without the specter of that asshole Ahura hanging over her.

I'm unsure here. ONly thing I'm sure is that we should let Fu Xia hang around. We can use him to lead us back to his superiors, eventually.
    Am I the only who thinks Gao Ying is involved, someway? Xiaofang is one of his subordinates, Gao is either behind this mess or he/his subordinate his trying to salvage it. Is this even related to the manuals, or one of our trails just got a hit because of a unrelated power struggle?

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  18. Absinthe Arcane

Absinthe
    What the hell? We should get Fu Xia now and be done with it. Come on now, if he's innocent we let him go after the interrogation. If he's guilty we solve it then and there. Right now we know he is the most likely culprit to have killed Du Yao, and he would have been able to subdue Xiaofang, he was out of our sight while all this happened, he's been trying to put us on the wrong trail, and he's a two-faced fucker.

A1AB

As for the girl, that girl is seriously skilled, yet somehow we can't detect anything. I'll also guess a possible the child immortal from the Xueguizi. The monk with the Nine Yang Dawning Light Divine Skill was immediately detected by our Reikan, but if the child immortal is the Nine Yin Darkness Holy Art, I suspect her arts would be concealed from our senses.

^ Top  
  19. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    I'd also like to think of Miss Song and Yifang sitting at this very table. I am fairly sure they don't know it either, and this does not look like the best moment for revelations.

Yunzi does not have to concern herself with Ahura while she is away from the temple, anyway.

And if he is the mole and not the killer, and therefore a great actor, what are you going to do with him without evidence while he pleads innocence? Especially with the whole Justice League on your team.

^ Top  
  20. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    The whole problem is that she is concerning herself with him and he is a factor in her decision-making:
    With the knowledge that he is dead and we're here to work together, these two can make great progress. I understand the "Wassap muh maiden!" appeal once we get to the temple, but just disagree since this isn't the time or place. Also, the text didn't bring up Lingshu and Yifang as an issue, so that's obviously not a factor.

^ Top  
  21. Rex Feral Liturgist

Rex Feral
    I was for letting Yunzi find out herself about us being the new Fire Lord, but decisions are made based on information and if she ever has to make a decision based on the false information that ahura still lives I'd feel bad about it.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. XenomorphII Prophet

XenomorphII
  23. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    With all due respect, this was a factor when we decided whether to tell Yao and Miecao about that.

Not until they actually start to gather. How does she plan to keep it secter, anyway? Masquerade them as Fire Cult piligrims?

The process didn't even start yet, since Tujue people are months away from the Central Plains.

I don't see a rush.

^ Top  
  24. Absinthe Arcane

Absinthe
    Then he's out of our way and unable to sabotage our investigation while we collect more evidence.

Letting him roam freely give him all sorts of opportunities to plant evidence and rig shit.

^ Top  
  25. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    If she knows Ahura is with the Flame (or wherever dead people go according to the Cult's beliefs) she needn't concern herself with secrecy at all in the first place. The Temple is completely our (as in, hers and Jing's) turf then.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.