Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Absinthe

Arcane
A1 is giving Bai Jiutian exactly what he wants
That's not going to go well for us, seriously. He wouldn't be trying to force us to use Wuxiang Qiankun unless he was sure he would come out ahead from it.

Voting A2.

Tigranes, Ifeex could you flop to A2? We have no less than FOUR techniques at rank 8 and above Wuying Leipo Kick is one of Yang Xue's specialties, Shouwang Claws is Zhang Jue's specialty, Xianglong 18 Palms is known as the strongest palm technique, Kenjutsu synergizes well with our unusually high perception and has the benefit of being more difficult to counter. We have a lot of high power techniques. (We also have Wudu silk, and while I'm sure BJ could cut that, it could still create openings for us.) Sure, it won't be an easy fight in A2, but we don't need it to be easy. We can handle BJ. He's not exactly out of our league, no matter how much BJ would like to pretend he is.

Lambchop19, I don't think Zhang Manxing can get up in his injured state. In D he killed us because we dropped to the ground and crawled over to him.

Plus I really want Jing to use Raging Claws of the Mad Lion (rank 10 qi swipes is going to fuck with BJ so hard).

Last edited:

TOME

Cuckmaster General
B2>A1. I'm fine with both if they work like Esquilax and Tigranes envisioned.

Tribute

Arbiter
Most of the people voting for A1 seem to think the options are "We give Bai Jiutian exactly what we wants" or "We die/are seriously crippled again".

Absinthe

Arcane
I think those people have forgotten we have a lot of high power moves we haven't even used yet. Bai Jiutian is strong but Jing has spent his entire time improving his abilities too. We can definitely handle Bai Jiutian.

Seriously, we have a rank 10 technique but the way folks are voting you'd think it doesn't exist.

Absinthe

Arcane
Sometimes that's how you lose everything, Baltika9. Giving Bai Jiutian exactly what he wants seems like a terrible idea to me.

I'd rather face Bai Jiutian in A2 with our Raging Claws of the Mad Lion (it's a rank 10 technique and those qi-swipes go through the air so we don't even need to close in on him) and other crazy techniques.

Last edited:

TOME

Cuckmaster General
People seem to have forgotten that Bai Jiutian also has lots of high powered moves we may have not yet seen. One rank ten technique might not solve all your problems.

Absinthe

Arcane
We have much more than just that technique, and Bai Jiutian also has a lower neigong than us. In a contest of qi moves, I think we'd win.

Tribute

Arbiter
Absinthe, what are your perceived consequences for BJ finding out we have WQS? Why is it bad enough to pick a choice with a risk of dying again?

Explaining why A1 is bad might help sway some votes to your side.

Absinthe

Arcane
Remember when Qilin and Cao'er got kidnapped? That's the kind of shit I want to avoid. Also, if people start watching us because we have a manual, it's going to be much more difficult finding any others.

If Xu Jing were alone, I wouldn't be as worried, but we have a lot of buddies we don't want to get injured and the kind of enemies we make with the revelation we have Wuxiang Qiankun... well, I'd really prefer it if our crew has more time to improve their martial arts before shit goes down.

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
Remember when we taught them some of pure brutal moves and then recruited the best female fighters of our generation into our party?
Miss Bai not included...yet.

Absinthe

Arcane
Baltika9, remember that in a manual hunt our enemies are mostly master-level and above? Our party is still not good enough.

Akkudakku, I'd say Bai Jiutian is doing what he can to benefit himself. Huashan is a problem if they are holding out on him while the Zhang family is dicking him, but if he can get legendary techniques, prestige, and upwards mobility by taking our Wuxiang Qiankun, then I think he could just as well stay with Huashan.

Last edited:

Akkudakku

Arbiter
Baltika9, remember that in a manual hunt our enemies are mostly master-level and above? Our party is still not good enough.

Akkudakku, I'd say Bai Jiutian is doing what he can to benefit himself. Huashan is a problem if they are holding out on him while the Zhang family is dicking him, but if he can get legendary techniques, prestige, and upwards mobility by taking our Wuxiang Qiankun, then I think he could just as well stay with Huashan.

Then again he cant 'take' our WQ unless we help him (and he agrees to work with us). While I would rather we band together with Bai to take whatever Zhangs have, maybe he would actualy grow to like Jing after he knows his 'not-a-dick-to-you' side. This way our cult is safe (we bullshit the origins of our skill).

Tigranes

Arcane
Absinthe it's a good point that if BJ has done all this he must be prepared and have some plan up his sleeve for when we show WQ. Or, he might think he's good enough to beat us down and then take the info anyway. I guess my thought was goinng A1 would allow us to pick up some of his abilities AND beat him down so thoroughly that he thinks, if I want anything out of Jing I have to work with him for now.

I've never been good at translating the character sheet in a CYOA to this kind of calculation, so I'm still not sure if we can beat him in A2. Story wise it might be a good experience to finally find out for sure, though.

A1 > A2 for now, waiting for further discuss!.

Absinthe

Arcane
Akkudakku, that is not how manual hunts work. "Oh hey there you have a legendary technique. Could you please give it to me? I promise I'll be good!" Usually it's more of a "He has a manual, lets hunt him down and everyone he cares about and ransom anything and everything we can for info while we trace his every step. We'll figure out where he got it from and go to war to take it if we can't get it quietly."

Absinthe it's a good point that if BJ has done all this he must be prepared and have some plan up his sleeve for when we show WQ. Or, he might think he's good enough to beat us down and then take the info anyway. I guess my thought was goinng A1 would allow us to pick up some of his abilities AND beat him down so thoroughly that he thinks, if I want anything out of Jing I have to work with him for now.
I am damn certain that is not going to happen. Bai Jiutian is not trying to make us use Wuxiang Qiankun just so that he can be our bitch. He's trying to find an upper hand out of this, and being in the middle of Huashan territory, there are a number of ways he can get the upper hand on us. For instance, we could get captured here and now because he calls for Nie Wuxing and company to take us down because we have Wuxiang Qiankun.

I've never been good at translating the character sheet in a CYOA to this kind of calculation, so I'm still not sure if we can beat him in A2. Story wise it might be a good experience to finally find out for sure, though.
I think having no less than 4 techniques at master level and above is a good sign we can take him on. Raging Claws of the Mad Lion is especially relevant here because it's a rank 10 technique that works from a distance, and we have higher neigong than Bai Jiutian for an exchange of qi moves.

Our kenjutsu should be good enough to fend off Bai Jiutian's swordsmanship since treave already confirmed moves 1, 2, and 4 benefit from our increased perception and we just switched to order mode. The one move Bai Jiutian fended off after we switched to Order mode was Vermillion Pheasant (move 3) and that's the only move that doesn't benefit from extra perception. Since Bai Jiutian's sword technique seems to use confusing and deceptive speed, our higher perception will also do a lot to bridge that gap. If we manage to create any openings for our unarmed skills, we can drag it into our turf and flatten him. Between Raging Claws, 9 perception, Wudu Silk, and our kenjutsu, I'm pretty sure we can create openings. It won't be the easiest thing, but it's definitely within our abilities, and Jing pulls through in times like these.

Last edited:

Akkudakku

Arbiter
Akkudakku, that is not how manual hunts work. "Oh hey there you have a legendary technique. Could you please give it to me? I promise I'll be good!" Usually it's more of a "He has a manual, lets hunt him down and everyone he cares about and ransom anything and everything we can for info while we trace his every step. We'll figure out where he got it from and go to war to take it if we can't get it quietly."

Oh it would work this way if he wouldn't have been a single man in this. He has no support other than Mistress Nie right now (or so I understand his situation).

Also about the technicues - we might have the raw short range power but Bai has reach and the skill it takes not to loose said reach. What good it is if we have technicues that can rip him apart when we can't get close enough?

Absinthe

Arcane
Having the support of Mistress Nie is tantamount to having the support of Huashan.

Raging Claws of the Mad Lion isn't really short range. Treave, can you confirm the distance that we can use Raging Claws?

Rex Feral

Prophet
Treave mentioned that there is another choice that could lead to our death. Since B1 and B2 is trying to parlay with BJ (and unless he decides we're lying and off's us for it), I guess that choice might be A2.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Raging Claws of the Mad Lion isn't really short range. Treave, can you confirm the distance that we can use Raging Claws?

Shorter distance than what his sword can reach. As stated in the update you have a better chance if you get inside his arm's reach to suppress his swordsmanship and try to turn it into a brawl.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom