Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

tropic

Scholar
Well the stakes are a bit higher now (Jing is older, has a wife, and is facing grandmaster-level opponents regularly), and we have had several life-or-death decisions that have made us more cautious.

Powergaming individual decisions without regard for the larger context is bad - but its also not fair to label all votes against YOLO as passionless or cowardly.

Yang transforms into Yin and back again - there is an appropriate time for aggression and submission. For example the fire temple vote, B was the yin (anti-YOLO/anti-Zhang Jue) option and ended up being the correct one.

It's a little easier when the choices are (like the most recent):

A: Win
B: Win a different way
C: Lose but not die

than when they are more like:

B: Run
C: Die

Esquilax

Arcane
Wasn't talking about you. :) Your Yunzi hate is as much a part of your motivation as Smashing Axe's Dio-worship. If that is the kind of story you want to get, I am fine with it. Just... don't dress it in numbers to make into some kind of a theorem that has to be true for everyone.

Speaking of which, I feel bad for the bro. Smashing Axe has endured two LP's of do-gooder bullshit with only one small, glorious moment of Dio, which we (myself included) weren't really committed to, and he's barely said a peep about it. When this LP inevitably ends, we must really play a horrible cunt of a character. root's Dirge LP is a good start there. Seriously bros, if you want pure grimdark, check it out. The writing is fantastic.

Last edited:

Akkudakku

Arbiter
Wasn't talking about you. :) Your Yunzi hate is as much a part of your motivation as Smashing Axe's Dio-worship. If that is the kind of story you want to get, I am fine with it. Just... don't dress it in numbers to make into some kind of a theorem that has to be true for everyone.

Speaking of which, I feel bad for the bro. Smashing Axe has endured two LP's of do-gooder bullshit with only one small, glorious moment of Dio, which we (myself included) weren't really committed to, and he's barely said a peep about it. When this LP inevitably ends, we must really play a horrible cunt of a character. root's Dirge LP is a good start there, but it's a slow burn.
Those evil characters tend to bore me fast as they tend to be only about one thing - being dicks.

Last edited:

Kayerts

Arcane
treave , a question. Since Yunzi tapped out earlier, is restoring her to fight at our side considered a valid move by the Shaolin bros?

Esquilax

Arcane
Powergaming individual decisions without regard for the larger context is bad - but its also not fair to label all votes against YOLO as passionless or cowardly.

That's fair. I mean, we've really made some dumb fucking choices. Youxia City vs Six Pugilists, a little bit of pragmatism wouldn't have hurt there at all. Or, y'know, going to assassinate the head of the secret police while wounded and completely on our own. :lol:

Going ADHD on every single choice, being wildly inconsistent in your character's motivations and doing things without any regard for common sense isn't satisfying either. Who wants to see their character and his best friend get their throats cut by a fucking bun salesman, after all? Another great example of this is root's WH42K LP: wildly inconsistent, often retarded choices without any thought other than "hey, fuck it, this seems cool!" I mean, the LP was awesome, but the choices made were hilariously stupid.

So yeah, there's definitely a time for pragmatism. But I think there's a difference between being pragmatic and cautious in a dangerous situation, and never wanting to take any chances whatsoever for fear of taking a hit on your character sheet and cheating yourself out of a lot of cool opportunities. There weren't many compelling reasons for the Disappearance of the Golden Emperor, for example - I mean, it was pretty retarded, we basically did it to help Shun out and to find Master Zhang a gardener worthy of Maniac Island - but can you imagine this LP without it? There really wasn't much in it for us when we initially voted for it, it was just a cool thing to do.

Based on that balance of yin and yang you speak of, we must seek harmony between the YOLO (yang) and the munchkin (yin). Only then can enlightenment be attained.

Tribute

Arbiter
Exactly how abhorrent is qi-leeching in the eyes of the general orthodox community? I want to know if we are seen as a monster now or if it just builds our image as a cunning trickster.
I think that depends on how we learned to do it.

And in true Xu Jing fashion, we didn't tell them.

Hopefully they don't think we learned it by qi-raping puppies to death.

As far as my vote goes, B. As much as I like Yunzi, I don't want to squander the sole advantage we got from picking C last choice, and she officially accepted her loss anyway.

Elfberserker

Liturgist
Current tally.

Please check, if I missed anything

Rex feral C
ChumBucket C>A
Esquilax C
Azira C

Kz3r0 B
Nevill C>A
Smashing Axe B>A
Absinthe B>A
ERYFKRAD B

IFEEX B
BALTIKA9 C>A
XENOMORPHII B
TIGRANES A
KASHMIR SLIPPERS B>A

A BEAR NAMED SPIGOT B>A
ARCHAEN C>B
TROPIC A>B
ELFBERSERKER A>C
FANGSHI C>A

KIPECI A>C
GREYVIPER B
AKKUDAKKU C
Tribute B
Jester A
LAMBCHOP19 C>A

Edit: AkkuDakku vote added

Edit: Tropic vote fixed

Edit: Votes corrected and Lambchop19 added

Last edited:

Akkudakku

Arbiter
Current tally.

Please check, if I missed anything

Rex feral C
ChumBucket C
Esquilax C
Azira C

Kz3r0 B
Nevill C
Smashing Axe B>A
Absinthe B>A
ERYFKRAD B

IFEEX B
BALTIKA9 C>A
XENOMORPHII B
TIGRANES A
KASHMIR SLIPPERS B>A

A BEAR NAMED SPIGOT B>A
ARCHAEN C>B
TROPIC B
ELFBERSERKER A>B
FANGSHI C>A

KIPECI A>C
GREYVIPER B
Yup, mine C vote is missing

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Another tally for comparison.

Rex Feral B>C
ChumBucket C>A
Esquilax C
asxetos C
Azira C
Kz3r0 B
Nevill C>A
Smashing Axe B>A
Elfberserker A>C
Absinthe B>A
ERYFKRAD B
Ifeex B>A
Baltika9 C>A
XenomorphII B
Tigranes A
Kashmir Slippers B>A
a bear named spigot B>A
archaen C>B
Akkudakku C>A
Jester A>B
tropic A>B
Fangshi C>A
Kipeci A>C
Tribute B
GreyViper B
Lambchop19 C>A
Nim B
Grimgravy C>A
profreshinal C
ScubaV C>A
Kayerts C>A
Ganymede C>A
kazgar A

A - 6 (2)
B - 12 (14)
C - 15 (17)

Last edited:

Akkudakku

Arbiter
Another tally for comparison.

Rex Feral B>C
ChumBucket C
Esquilax C
asxetos C
Azira C
Kz3r0 B
Nevill C
Smashing Axe B>A
Elfberserker A>B
Absinthe B>A
ERYFKRAD B
Ifeex B
Baltika9 C>A
XenomorphII B
Tigranes A
Kashmir Slippers B>A
a bear named spigot B>A
archaen C>B
Akkudakku C
Jester A
tropic A>B
Fangshi C>A
Kipeci A>C
Tribute B
GreyViper B

A - 4 (1)
B - 11 (13)
C - 9 (10)
Dissapointing... Thats what it is. And I don't know why are you voting this way guys - you either wan't NONE rep from shaolin for using dickish tricks or just hate Yunzi?

Nevill

Arcane
Dissapointing... Thats what it is.
Triubute said:
As much as I like Yunzi, I don't want to squander the sole advantage we got from picking C last choice [...]
:negative::negative::negative:

I can settle for A, really, I can... I think. Nnnnggg.

I could list Yunzi as an advantage we've - potentially - got with the previous C, but that would be fucking cold.

Last edited:

Akkudakku

Arbiter
C voters, please flop to C>A its the only way! We WILL prevail!

It's the Brown Wedding all over again...

Elfberserker

Liturgist
Holy mother of god!

C is actually losing? I thought it would lead by mile by now.

This...Is disturbing.

Kipeci

Arcane
I think most people here would be fine with A, they just want to go farther than that for Yunzi (C voters) or else want to avoid that excess and B happened to have the most votes behind it.

Esquilax

Arcane
B: Win a different way
C: Lose but not die

I think you were referring to the most recent choice here, but if you'll indulge me in arguing from the standpoint of the very same sort of powergaming and munchkinry that I just decried, I actually think that C is more likely to put is in a good position against the Abbot than A.

A. You share your qi with Yunzi and ask her to fight in the final stage together with you. The process will not be too efficient, and the wasted qi means that the two of you combined will be facing the Abbot with noticeably less energy than you alone would have if you ventured on by yourself, but still…
C. You grab Yunzi and donate your qi to her. With a kiss. A long kiss. In front of everyone. The mouth-to-mouth method is more efficient than the traditional hand-to-back method (but not by much). At least, that is your justification. It is definitely an insane thing to do. You can't even finish listing the repercussions in your mind, so why are you still doing it?

Now, the part that I bolded is obviously not the reason we're doing this, and while the qi conservation isn't that big of a difference apparently, I think that in a big fight like this, a little bit can make all the difference in the world. A little extra can mean a lot.

Obviously B would put us in the best position to win, but... *snore*

Nevill

Arcane
I'll flop to C>A, but this isn't helping. A flops are resolved before that, as it has the least votes. Still, if voters' intent takes precedence over the rules established so far, it can work.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

A

I think Nevill is on to something with his thoughts on the elder's motives for giving up - however - I also think that kissing Yunzi is far too over the top. It may result in her running off again like she did when we stupidly told her we were the new temple lord. Convince me otherwise and I may flop to C.

C>A

Last edited by a moderator:

Nevill

Arcane
Convince me otherwise and I may flop to C.
I can't convince you otherwise. It might result that way. In which case we'll face the Abbott alone at our own power. Didn't we intend to do so for Xuxian in the first place, when we weren't running the gauntlet?

It is not an automatic loss, is what I am saying. It might make our life more difficult... but if not that, what is left in life worth living for?

It is the Brown Wedding. No tangible short-term benefit except for the cool narrative. What it means for us and Yunzi down the road we can only guess.

Last edited:

Esquilax

Arcane
It is the Brown Wedding. No tangible short-term benefit except for the cool narrative. What it means for us and Yunzi down the road we can only guess.

The Brown Wedding would have had tangible benefits. Nobody would be able to take Mao Sanjiao seriously ever again, and his wedding reception would become the butt of jokes for centuries to come. It would completely fuck over his attempts to take the Qingcheng Sect from Song Lingshu.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom